HOW-TO GUIDE: Snow Leopard Retail 10.6 on Asus P6T Deluxe V2

wziard

482 posts in this topic

Fabio, your link above is broken right now...

For those interested, here is the link to the discussion about RC4 and the new features added to it:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...1902&st=120

Post #80 and #99(newer files here) have the new boot loader. There might be some newer ones floating around.

exact post is this" ASERE QUOTE (cparm @ Jan 9 2010, 01:48 AM) hi A... Jan 9 2010, 02:24 PM"

News here in my last post of my guide. AGGIORNAMENTO DSDT - DSDT UPDATE Versione Method 2... Today, 04:18 PM

Fabio

Fix

x dgobe if this update (in my guide) you think is useful pls translate here the method... thank's

Pls! no more confusion pls!

Fabio

Ps In the next day I send you a cleen code of our DSDT with-out SS we can try strip the code... (maybe revolution for us?) ;)

Snow Leopard 10.6.x on an ASUS P6T Deluxe V1 or V2

Credit goes to those who did the actual work, I just put together this outline (mostly copy pasted this outline).

The standard AT YOUR OWN RISK, THIS COULD BREAK YOUR HARDWARE, I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY.... caveats all apply.

Shutdown, restart and sleep all working

Unique UUID injection

SpeedStep and TurboMode support

Chameleon RC4 Hide Partition enabled

iStat Menus support (cpu info but no network activity ?)

You will need a Snow Leopard DVD and the following files.

Kext Utility v2.3.2

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=140647

Extra Folder

-com.apple.Boot.plist

-smbios.plist

-Kexts

--fakesmc.kext *Netkas' modified by d00d

--OpenHaltRestart.kext

--AD2000b.kext

--Orangeiconfix.kext

P6T_Extra.zip

DSDT.aml

Download the correct DSDT, unzip it and add it to your Extra folder.

From iFabio (January 12th) AGGIORNAMENTO DSDT - DSDT UPDATE Versione Method 2...

Bootloader

AsereBLN Booter *a modified version Of Chameleon 2.0-RC4 and Netkas' PC EFI 10.5

Booter_AsereBLN_v1.1.2.zip

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...amp;pid=1379601

*The DSDT.aml and boot files will need replacing, they are evolving quickly!

BIOS Settings

Main>Storage Configuration

Configure SATA as [AHCI]

AI Tweaker

Intel� SpeedStep Tech [Enabled]

Intel� TurboMode Tech [Enabled]

Advanced>CPU Configuration *set everything here to Enabled, All or Auto except A20M

Intel� HT Technology [Enabled]

Active Processor Cores [All]

A20M [Disabled]

Intel� C-STATE Tech [Enabled]

C State package limit [Auto]

Advanced>Onboard Devices Configuration

High Definition Audio [Enabled]

Front Panel Audio [HD Audio]

Power

Suspend Mode [Auto]

Repost Video on S3 Resume [Yes]

ACPI 2.0 Support [Enabled]

ACPI APIC Support [Enabled]

Power>APM Configuration

Restore on AC Power Loss [Last State]

Installation Outline

I. Install Snow Leopard DVD

a. Connect SATA drive.

b. Open Disk Utility. Select the drive in the sidebar and erase/reformat it, use Mac OS X Extended (Journaled). Ensure that the Partition Map Scheme is GUID. If it's not, click the "Partition" tab and setup a single partition (or more, if you desire, one is easiest though) with GUID.

c. IMPORTANT: Once the reformat/partitioning is complete, go to "Get Info" on the drive and look toward the bottom. Unlock the "Sharing & Permissions" section and uncheck "Ignore Ownership."

d. To run the installer, open Terminal and enter the following:

open '/Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg'

e. Click through the install dialogue, click "Customize" and deselect printer driver, additional fonts, additional languages.

II. Install Bootloader

Install AsereBLN Booter the same as you would Chameleon.

Chameleon instalation --> http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=164809

III. Ethernet fix

a. Open up Terminal, enter the following using your DRIVE~NAME:

sudo nano /Volumes/DRIVE~NAME/System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon2.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Find <key>Yukon-88E8053</key> and make it <key>Yukon-88E8056</key> (change 53 to 56)

Find <string>0x436211AB</string> and make it <string>0x436411AB</string></key> (change 62 to 64)

Find <string>Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8053 Singleport Copper SA</string> and make it <string>Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8056 Singleport Copper SA</string> (change 53 to 56)

Hit ctrl + o and then enter to save the file, then ctrl + x to exit nano.

IV. Extra folder

a. Drag the folder "Extra" to the root of your installation drive.

b. Drag the folder /Extra/Extensions onto the "Kext Utility" icon. This will repair the kext permissions and create a new Extensions.mkext file.

V. Boot your P6T Deluxe Snow Leopard system

a. Booting with the -v -f flags for the first boot is recommended.

b. Turn down your speaker volume OS X is loud :unsure:

Snow Leopard 10.6.x on an ASUS P6T Deluxe V1 or V2

Credit goes to those who did the actual work, I just put together this outline (mostly copy pasted this outline).

The standard AT YOUR OWN RISK, THIS COULD BREAK YOUR HARDWARE, I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY.... caveats all apply.

Shutdown, restart and sleep all working

Unique UUID injection

SpeedStep and TurboMode support

Chameleon RC4 Hide Partition enabled

iStat Menus support (cpu info but no network activity ?)

You will need a Snow Leopard DVD and the following files.

Kext Utility v2.3.2

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=140647

Extra Folder

-com.apple.Boot.plist

-smbios.plist

-Kexts

--fakesmc.kext *Netkas' modified by d00d

--OpenHaltRestart.kext

--AD2000b.kext

--Orangeiconfix.kext

DSDT.aml

Download the correct DSDT, unzip it and add it to your Extra folder.

From iFabio (January 12th) AGGIORNAMENTO DSDT - DSDT UPDATE Versione Method 2...

Bootloader

AsereBLN Booter *a modified version Of Chameleon 2.0-RC4 and Netkas' PC EFI 10.5

Booter_AsereBLN_v1.1.2.zip

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1380526

*The DSDT.aml and boot files will need replacing, they are evolving quickly!

BIOS Settings

Main>Storage Configuration

Configure SATA as [AHCI]

AI Tweaker

Intel® SpeedStep ™ Tech [Enabled]

Intel® TurboMode Tech [Enabled]

Advanced>CPU Configuration *set everything here to Enabled, All or Auto except A20M

Intel® HT Technology [Enabled]

Active Processor Cores [All]

A20M [Disabled]

Intel® C-STATE Tech [Enabled]

C State package limit [Auto]

Advanced>Onboard Devices Configuration

High Definition Audio [Enabled]

Front Panel Audio [HD Audio]

Power

Suspend Mode [Auto]

Repost Video on S3 Resume [Yes]

ACPI 2.0 Support [Enabled]

ACPI APIC Support [Enabled]

Power>APM Configuration

Restore on AC Power Loss [Last State]

Installation Outline

I. Install Snow Leopard DVD

a. Connect SATA drive.

b. Open Disk Utility. Select the drive in the sidebar and erase/reformat it, use Mac OS X Extended (Journaled). Ensure that the Partition Map Scheme is GUID. If it's not, click the "Partition" tab and setup a single partition (or more, if you desire, one is easiest though) with GUID.

c. IMPORTANT: Once the reformat/partitioning is complete, go to "Get Info" on the drive and look toward the bottom. Unlock the "Sharing & Permissions" section and uncheck "Ignore Ownership."

d. To run the installer, open Terminal and enter the following:

open '/Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg'

e. Click through the install dialogue, click "Customize" and deselect printer driver, additional fonts, additional languages.

II. Install Bootloader

Install AsereBLN Booter the same as you would Chameleon.

Chameleon instalation --> http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=164809

III. Ethernet fix

a. Open up Terminal, enter the following using your DRIVE~NAME:

sudo nano /Volumes/DRIVE~NAME/System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon2.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Find <key>Yukon-88E8053</key> and make it <key>Yukon-88E8056</key> (change 53 to 56)

Find <string>0x436211AB</string> and make it <string>0x436411AB</string></key> (change 62 to 64)

Find <string>Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8053 Singleport Copper SA</string> and make it <string>Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8056 Singleport Copper SA</string> (change 53 to 56)

Hit ctrl + o and then enter to save the file, then ctrl + x to exit nano.

IV. Extra folder

a. Drag the folder "Extra" to the root of your installation drive.

b. Drag the folder /Extra/Extensions onto the "Kext Utility" icon. This will repair the kext permissions and create a new Extensions.mkext file.

V. Boot your P6T Deluxe Snow Leopard system

a. Booting with the -v -f flags for the first boot is recommended.

b. Turn down your speaker volume OS X is loud ;)

Why is "c. IMPORTANT: Once the reformat/partitioning is complete, go to "Get Info" on the drive and look toward the bottom. Unlock the "Sharing & Permissions" section and uncheck "Ignore Ownership."

so important? Please explain more

@maitajim

I'm thinking an updated guide shouldn't start 405 posts into an existing thread. The information is already scattered all over the place. If you think you'll have time to maintain the guide over time you can start a new thread. I will do it if you don't want to but I don't know how much time I'll have to maintain it. At some point this weekend I should have time to do a fresh install and I'll have things to add to your outline so maybe you can wait until then. I remember a couple of little fixes I did that weren't documented anywhere.

@svantine360

If I remember correctly, the installer will fail if you don't do that. I think it's required so the proper permissions get set on the files as they are installed.

@maitajim

I'm thinking an updated guide shouldn't start 405 posts into an existing thread. The information is already scattered all over the place. If you think you'll have time to maintain the guide over time you can start a new thread. I will do it if you don't want to but I don't know how much time I'll have to maintain it. At some point this weekend I should have time to do a fresh install and I'll have things to add to your outline so maybe you can wait until then. I remember a couple of little fixes I did that weren't documented anywhere.

@svantine360

If I remember correctly, the installer will fail if you don't do that. I think it's required so the proper permissions get set on the files as they are installed.

It is right dgobe.

Not and easy to hold adjourned the guide, I waste a lot of time on mine, and still flood of inaccuracies.(my guide)

Best idea would be to contact the original author of this trend and to kindly ask to adjourn it with the new information for common benefit.

My thought is that there are too guides, to readapt this would be to best and less time-wasting solution for a new consumer that wants to try on this motherboard.

This is what I think

Fabio

It is right dgobe.

Not and easy to hold adjourned the guide, I waste a lot of time on mine, and still flood of inaccuracies.(my guide)

Best idea would be to contact the original author of this trend and to kindly ask to adjourn it with the new information for common benefit.

My thought is that there are too guides, to readapt this would be to best and less time-wasting solution for a new consumer that wants to try on this motherboard.

This is what I think

Fabio

I totally agree on this, we should amend this thread (post 1) and maintain it. I am also running SL on raid 0 with highpoint and so far it`s running smoothly...working on my guide right now, should be out in 2 weeks. Thanks

I totally agree on this, we should amend this thread (post 1) and maintain it. I am also running SL on raid 0 with highpoint and so far it`s running smoothly...working on my guide right now, should be out in 2 weeks. Thanks

For example:

Is a good idea add the raid option in the guide ;) (when You make it I traslate and add it in my italian guide).

Fabio

xdgobe

For i7-920, stock frequency is generated by multi 20x (133 BCLK x 20 gives 2660)

If system needs it, it will raise 21x (133x21=2793) -> This is turbo mode !

See more in deep the DSDT the NPSS SPSS are present in all 8 processors (is a full code)

Hi,

I did everything like it is described in post #123 and everything works well, but while booting, i get the message: "pci root uid not found"! Is this a normal message?

I also get the message: "FakeSMC key info not found MSDS -length 6"! Is it also normal?

And after clicking on "shutdown" I get the message "failed to unmount /home" (and sth. else), before he shuts down! This is very bad, isn't it?

How can I fix all these problems?

Hi,

I did everything like it is described in post #123 and everything works well, but while booting, i get the message: "pci root uid not found"! Is this a normal message?

I also get the message: "FakeSMC key info not found MSDS -length 6"! Is it also normal?

And after clicking on "shutdown" I get the message "failed to unmount /home" (and sth. else), before he shuts down! This is very bad, isn't it?

I experienced the "pci root uid not found" bug with PCEFI10.5 but it caused no problems. This has been fixed in AsereBLN Booter. Not sure about your other issues?

Using the files and and method from my outline in post #405 my rig is running excellent.

Hey i just noticed the com.apple.Boot.plist was missing a line... :P

was this

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
	<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
	<plist version="1.0">
	<dict>
		<key>Kernel</key>
		<string>mach_kernel</string>
		<key>Kernel Flags</key>
		<string></string>
		<key>Quiet Boot</key>
		<key>Graphics Mode</key>
		<string>1680x1050x32</string>
		<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
		<string>y</string>
		<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
		<string>y</string>
		<key>Theme</key>
		<string>Default</string>
	</dict>
	</plist>

should be this

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
	<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
	<plist version="1.0">
	<dict>
		<key>Kernel</key>
		<string>mach_kernel</string>
		<key>Kernel Flags</key>
		<string></string>
		<key>Quiet Boot</key>
		<string>No</string>
		<key>Graphics Mode</key>
		<string>1680x1050x32</string>
		<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
		<string>y</string>
		<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
		<string>y</string>
		<key>Theme</key>
		<string>Default</string>
	</dict>
	</plist>

The file is fixed now.

Sorry about that.

That really wouldn't have hurt much :D

But you do have the entire file wrapped in some extra <font> tags, the board probably did that when you posted. It won't expand those tags in a code section.

Nice catch, thanks.

I hate WYSIWYG editors

:blink:

Hi,

Don't worry about the PCI root UID as mentioned.

The fakesmc errors aren't a problem either. They are just for debug, you can disable them in the Info.plist of fakesmc.kext. I wouldn't bother. From netkas:

Added debug option to plist, possible values – true/false, if debug is “false”, you will not see messages – “key not found”, by default debug is enabled. Version for noobs: edit Info.plist, change debug to false, to get rid of these messages – FakeSMC: key info not found

The unmount problems aren't a big deal either. Try this to see if it does anything, go to Applications->Utilities->Terminal.app

Type in these commands:

cd / <-changes to the root directory cd<space>/

sudo chown 0:0 .

That's sudo<space>chown<space>0:0<space>. <-don't forget the period

When you use our installation method sometimes the ownership on the root is not right. That was one of the little fixes I remember I had to do.

Hi.

This can help beginner

Installer Snow Leopard M2.1

INSIDE :(DSDT for i7-920 + all file needed and modded + .plist)

For i7 940 user download the DSDT.M2.1-i7-940 and replace it in /Extra/

Usage:

• backup your Extra folder
  • then delete it (not the backup ;) )
  • Unzip e run the installer
  • Run Kext Utility
  • Reboot & Enjoy!

Fabio

Hi all, thanks for the guides!

I have come across what I feel is the easiest procedure yet getting everything up and running.

1. Follow the Make's guide on setting up a thumb drive (http://lifehacker.com/5360150/install-snow-leopard-on-your-hackintosh-pc-no-hacking-required)
  2. Substitude the installer application from iFabio's post (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=65538).
  3. Run installer application on thumb drive
  4. Update network Info.plist settings (here?)
  5. Make sure bios settings are correct.
  6. Boot from thumb drive

The only problem I have encountered so far is that I can't get the network card working despite following the steps to update the Info.plist file.

I noticed that Firewire and network card 2 were disabled in the bios so I re-enabled them and still no luck. Firewire got detected and installed right away, which is nice I guess.

Update: Here are the instructions to update Ethernet settings AND repair the permissions / rebuild kext.

Note: I updated the Info.plist on both the thumb drive and the system's root drive.

Now open Terminal and type the following (texts after the arrow are comments):

cd /System/Library/Extensions <-- changes directory

sudo nano IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon2.kext/Contents/Info.plist <-- edits file

(find and change: Yukon-88E8053)

(to: Yukon-88E8056) <-- change "53" to "56"

(find and change: Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8053)

(to: Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8056) <-- change "53" to "56"

(find and change: 0x436211AB)

(to: 0x436411AB) <-- change "62" to "64"

(press Control-O) <-- saves changes

(press Enter) <-- accepts saving to existing file

(press Control-X) <-- exits nano

sudo chown -R root:wheel IONetworkingFamily.kext <-- repairs permissions

cd /System/Library <-- changes directories

sudo rm -rf Extensions.mkext Extensions.kextcache <-- rebuilds kextcache on reboot

Fabio,

Maybe you are better with PackageMaker than me. I made an install package, and it works, but it leaves directories in the root(Package_Root and Resources). You can select which processor you are using and you can make the postflight script copy it into Extra.

post-242023-1263524941_thumb.png

Here is my project, check out the preflight and postflight adjustments.

Attachment removed for now....

P.S. Scripts make backups of everything and the permissions are fixed so it's a one step install.

Fabio,

Maybe you are better with PackageMaker than me. I made an install package, and it works, but it leaves directories in the root(Package_Root and Resources). You can select which processor you are using and you can make the postflight script copy it into Extra.

Here is my project, check out the preflight and postflight adjustments.

Ok downloaded.

I'll give him 'a look when I have a moment of time.

It would be useful to add the patch for the lan, you did not create a script?

Would still be a problem ... the first/next Apple update (combo) the patch would be overwritten.

Fabio

Ok downloaded.

I'll give him 'a look when I have a moment of time.

It would be useful to add the patch for the lan, you did not create a script?

Would still be a problem ... the first/next Apple update (combo) the patch would be overwritten.

Fabio

Simple sed hack...$1 would correspond to $3 if you adapted to postflight script.

#!/bin/bash
  if test -z "$1"
  then
   echo "Usage: patchionet.sh </Volumes/xyz or />"
   echo ""
   echo "e.g. ./patchionet.sh /Volumes/Mac"
   echo "Will patch IONetworkingFamily.kext on the Mac volume"
   echo ""
   echo "e.g. ./patchionet.sh /"
   echo "Will patch IONetworkingFamily.kext on the running system"
   echo ""
   exit
  fi

cp -i ${1}System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon2.kext/Contents/Info.plist ${1}System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon2.kext/Contents/Info.plist.orig

sed -e s/88E8053/88E8056/g ${1}System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon2.kext/Contents/Info.plist > ./patchionet1

sed -e s/0x436211ab/0x436411ab/g ./patchionet1 > ./patchionet2

mv patchionet2 ${1}System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon2.kext/Contents/Info.plist

rm ./patchionet1