EVGA x58 Installation Guide

JaE-V

136 posts in this topic

the best way is the install method with usb stick (use prasys tutorial: http://is.gd/2EdYE). try this, it worked for my evga x58 sli. also multiple partitions on one drive is no problem, i have a mbr installation with 4 partitions (win7, ubuntu, snow leo, fat32 data). maybe it is no problem couse i use grub2 (of ubuntu) in combination with chameleon2 rc1 boot files. my installation is stable and i have no errors or kp.

fyi: after installing little snitch you have to rebuild Extension.mkext BEFORE reboot, or you will get kp. if you get kp, try to fix the permissons and rebuild mkexts. read the following tutorials carefully: http://is.gd/2EdYE http://is.gd/2ntm9

here is also a tutorial with an uploaded dsdt and kexts: http://www.infinitemac.com/f57/guide-evga-...allation-t3854/

if you have a gt200 series graphic card you will not be able to boot installation routine, you have to use device properties in boot.plist. look here for informations how to do this: http://aquamac.proboards.com/index.cgi?boa...=509&page=1

the device path for EVGA X58 SLI of the first pcie slot nearest the cpu is: PciRoot(0x1)/Pci(0x3,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)

JaE-V told me via PM it would be on every mobo of same model and with every graphic card of differnt types another device path but i think it is always the same, try it. if you have a leo install you could use gfx-util to verify this. because i had no leo install on the new pc i had to use another graphic card to get the device path.

my only remaining problems with snow are the "unplugged cable bug" of the realtekr1000.kext and to get audio working without voodoohda. there are already solutions around here in the forum and in irc for this 2 problems, i have to try that out and if i`m successful i will report back.

Dear JaE-V and other knowledgeable people,

Can anyone offer me an advice in a case of a kernel panic?

EVGA X58/ NVidia 9800 GTX+ 512/6GB/ 2 WD 1TB Black Kaviars, one of which with Leo 10.5.8

(demonoid downloaded retail) 10.6.432

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/8520/sv300051.jpg

Chameleon RC2 with SL compatible Boot file replaced, EFI string in boot.plist generated to Aquamac's guide,

tried a couple of different dsdt.aml files in Extra folder. Haven't installed Voodoo.HDA into S/L/E yet, thought I'd get it to boot first

please help.

ztjangle

somethings goin on with your bootloader, maybe its booting off the wrong drive or something

Thanks JaE-V

After I replaced my ATI 3870 with Nvidia 9800 GT, it works perfect with your install.

Only difference I made was to use Chamelon 640 pkg.

I couldn't find the chameleon RC3 with package program.

Anyway, thanks for your kind guide!!

Have a nice week!

JP

Dear Jae-V,

I'm back after a busy week.

As per your suggestion I worked on the bootloader, what I did was replace the boot file at the root of my Snow HD with the one from Chameleon 3 installer (#658)

I did get the SL to boot normally. (although if I try to start my Leo 10.5.8 from the Chameleon RC3 on the Snow HD, it crashes).

I followed the advice of some other people to disable Spotlight and re-enable it later. Also reinstalled BSD from SL so that repairing permissions works OK in Disk utility.

But NO INTERNET , NO AUDIO (even though I put the VoodooHDA into S/L/E, see image) and, the weirdest of all, only my USB external drive shows on the desktop.

I can still access other drives through the USB icon or the garbage bin, they only do not show up on the desktop. Please see the desktop snapshot. It is also showing the contents of my Extra folder.

The Ethernet ports are kind of seen, but they do not connect. I've tried to copy the info from my Leopard window and enter values into the network window (in manual mode), it turns green but does not connect.

Installing Realtek kext didn't help either. Any help would be highly appreciated.

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/1600/sc...090916at110.png

EVGA X58 SLI A1

9800 GTX+

6GB CorsairXMS3 DDR3 1600

i7 920

WD 1TB Leopard 10.5.8

WD 1TB SL 10.6.1

250 GB Windows 7

Thank you very much JaE-V

By following your guide I manage to install and run SL almost perfectly without sleep. Using Chameleon 2 RC3 to boot, and also I format my SL drive using MBR but the partition is Mac OS Journaled and it boot right up. I read somewhere that MBR should be better instead of GUID for PC base MAC. Dual boot was a little problem, but after I install AHCI driver for windows and now it can boots in AHCI mode.

Thank you again and appreciated for all the people who contributed in this post.

My System

EVGA x58 Original

Core i7 920

6GB OCZ Gold DDR3 1600

EVGA 280 GTX

60gb OCZ Summit SSD running windows 7

1TB Seagate running Snow Leopard

1.5TB Seagate Storage

Dual Boot Using Chameleon 2 RC3

Hey =)

Im running a i7 920 on an EVGA X58 Classified, does your Guide work for that mainboard too? 

And does this method have any risks? 

Is there a german tutorial? 

My english isnt that bad but its much easier in german :P

greetings 

Being new to the Hackintosh scene, I have a quick question about DSDT files. Does it matter which OS I generate the DSDT file from? If I boot Linux or Windows, for example, and generate a DSDT file from that OS (and patch for the RTC problem -- length = 2), can I used that dsdt.aml file? Or does the DSDT file reflect the currently recognized hardware from a prior Leopard boot, ignoring hardware that it doesn't understand.

It's easy for me to generate a Linux-based DSDT file. Linux recognizes all of the hardware, though, and will generate entries for it. My concern is that using it in SL will cause it to attempt to load a KEXT file that it shouldn't do.

So, does it matter what OS the DSDT file comes from as long as it reflects your system's hardware? And, if I change hardware (add a disk, for example), do I need to recompile it?

• 2 weeks later...

Great Guide by JaE-V able to boot without any problem :wallbash: so now I have questions,

For GFX i using GTX 275 can I install e EVGA driver in Snow Leopard?

For Lan, currently is there any Lan kexts for EVGA micro atx in SL? can e kext in Leopard use in SL? (I think is no :P )

For Audio, is there any kexts that is working around?

I know there is 32 bit n 64 bit kexts. so which one to use??

I wanted to say thank you for the amazing guide. It is 6am and I now have a fully working Snow Leopard installation! Previous Leopard installations always had something not work, usually audio. But with your files and instructions everything works.

Maybe a moderator can sticky this guide.

Thanks again!

The says "don't touch a working system". Stand by it!!

I updated my bios to latest, E758SZ2R and snow won't boot. It some how corrupted my root directory.

Rebooted from a clean copy of snow from another hard drive I had, (Phew Glad I did that) Reinstalled snow back to Original drive using Teckno_Junkie's Snow Files kexts. (I dunno, I was thinking maybe it was a kext thing). Back to square one

Sucks having to re re-install apps all the time. I guess thats the price you pay.

I guess the question I had was, What caused this?

Kexts maybe?

JaE-V I was using the kexts you provided which differ from Teckno_Junkie's Snow Files kexts.

I guess the notciable difference is, his has disabler.kext, dsmos.kext OpenHaltrestart.kext and yours has fakesmc.kext and sleepenabler.kext.

Yikes helpppp. Which kexts are the correct ones? and do I simply place/remove them in Extras and rebuild using kextutility to install/uninstall?

I also noticed that there was a new version of smc........... fakesmc_SL.kext. Should I use this?

Also I'm noticing this....

Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-000000000000

Even after editing my smbios.plist accordingly.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

*UPdate: Jae-V I switched over to your kexts folder> replaced techno's kexts with yours and ran kext utility.

I dunno if it helped any?

;) Thanks for your Guide... Followed it for the most part, thanks to all.

My EVGA X58 3-way SLI runs beautifully.

Even my 4 jmicron esata work also (Natively)

Ethernet working (Natively)

4850 ATI fully working (simple driver install with injector in Chameleon RC3)

My airport extreme with my D-Link DWA-556 working (Natively supported)

Audio thanks to Vodoo kext (only part not natively working)

All i have left is to D-link Bluetooth (claims Native support)

DBT-120 USB 2.0 Wireless

http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/167353

Help a noob out...

Thanks for the great guide! I'm almost there, just don't have audio or networking. I'm using an evga x58 sli le mobo.

I'm using Chameleon 2 RC3 to boot, I've tried installing voodoohda with kext helper without luck. I've also used kext utility to try to fix it without luck.

kexts in S/L/E always have differing permissions in disk utility, I always repair them. What's up with that? Is that the cause of the audio problem?

Almost forgot to mention I used pcwiz's guide on infinitemac to get my gtx 260 working.

At this point I'm ready to just buy a usb audio adapter and usb network adapter. :)

Few more newb questions:

While in snow how do you check if your in 32 or 64 bit mode?

What do you add to boot.plist to force it to load into 32 or 64?

While in snow how do check to see if QE/CL is working on your graphics card?

I still hold out hope on getting the on board audio working but I've lost hope on getting the built in networking working after reading all the problems people have been having.

Thanks in advance!

p.s. the past two night I've replaced sleep with caffeine trying to get this system up and I'm starting to feel the effects of lack of sleep ;) LOL

ROCK AND ROLL!

Few more newb questions:

Mac logo -> About this Mac->More Info -> Software

Look for "64-bit Kernel and Extensions: Yes"

Hold down 3 and 2 during boot to load 32 bit, or 6 and 4 for 64 bit.

Or use these commands

sudo systemsetup -setkernelbootarchitecture i386

sudo systemsetup -setkernelbootarchitecture x86_64

or use these strings

<string>arch=i386</string>

<string>arch=x86_64</string>

I have tried and tried to make my machine finally run snow leopard, but I simply cannot get my system to boot up without -x, I eventually tried DD's script for the gigabyte board and that worked the best so far, but still it won't work with my graphics cards. I have 2x GTX 285 EVGA along with a EVGA x58 classified board, no luck no matter what I do.

I have tried and tried to make my machine finally run snow leopard, but I simply cannot get my system to boot up without -x, I eventually tried DD's script for the gigabyte board and that worked the best so far, but still it won't work with my graphics cards. I have 2x GTX 285 EVGA along with a EVGA x58 classified board, no luck no matter what I do.

Go here

http://aquamac.proboards.com/index.cgi?boa...&thread=509

Follow the guide, download the template for the 285, i installed one yesterday in a matter of seconds, there's also another posting in that section of aqua's board for dual cards

Being new to the Hackintosh scene, I have a quick question about DSDT files. Does it matter which OS I generate the DSDT file from? If I boot Linux or Windows, for example, and generate a DSDT file from that OS (and patch for the RTC problem -- length = 2), can I used that dsdt.aml file? Or does the DSDT file reflect the currently recognized hardware from a prior Leopard boot, ignoring hardware that it doesn't understand.

It's easy for me to generate a Linux-based DSDT file. Linux recognizes all of the hardware, though, and will generate entries for it. My concern is that using it in SL will cause it to attempt to load a KEXT file that it shouldn't do.

So, does it matter what OS the DSDT file comes from as long as it reflects your system's hardware? And, if I change hardware (add a disk, for example), do I need to recompile it?

i would imagine the dsdts are universal, give it a shot :P

Great Guide by JaE-V able to boot without any problem :) so now I have questions,

For GFX i using GTX 275 can I install e EVGA driver in Snow Leopard?

For Lan, currently is there any Lan kexts for EVGA micro atx in SL? can e kext in Leopard use in SL? (I think is no :( )

For Audio, is there any kexts that is working around?

I know there is 32 bit n 64 bit kexts. so which one to use??

snow doesnt need that driver, its already incorporated just go to the link i posted here a sec ago and generate strings for your card....i still dont understand the lan issue completely, it worked right off the back for me :blink: ...you should be able to use the same leo kexts in snow if your booted 32 bit, 64 may or may not cause a problem give it a shot...voodoohda works for me that i included and which you use depends on if your booting 64bit or not

The says "don't touch a working system". Stand by it!!

I updated my bios to latest, E758SZ2R and snow won't boot. It some how corrupted my root directory.

Rebooted from a clean copy of snow from another hard drive I had, (Phew Glad I did that) Reinstalled snow back to Original drive using Teckno_Junkie's Snow Files kexts. (I dunno, I was thinking maybe it was a kext thing). Back to square one

Sucks having to re re-install apps all the time. I guess thats the price you pay.

I guess the question I had was, What caused this?

Kexts maybe?

JaE-V I was using the kexts you provided which differ from Teckno_Junkie's Snow Files kexts.

I guess the notciable difference is, his has disabler.kext, dsmos.kext OpenHaltrestart.kext and yours has fakesmc.kext and sleepenabler.kext.

Yikes helpppp. Which kexts are the correct ones? and do I simply place/remove them in Extras and rebuild using kextutility to install/uninstall?

I also noticed that there was a new version of smc........... fakesmc_SL.kext. Should I use this?

Also I'm noticing this....

Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-000000000000

Even after editing my smbios.plist accordingly.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

*UPdate: Jae-V I switched over to your kexts folder> replaced techno's kexts with yours and ran kext utility.

I dunno if it helped any?

fake smc eliminates the need to use disabler and dsmos...use whatever works for you lol, the uuid thing is fine

Help a noob out...

Thanks for the great guide! I'm almost there, just don't have audio or networking. I'm using an evga x58 sli le mobo.

I'm using Chameleon 2 RC3 to boot, I've tried installing voodoohda with kext helper without luck. I've also used kext utility to try to fix it without luck.

kexts in S/L/E always have differing permissions in disk utility, I always repair them. What's up with that? Is that the cause of the audio problem?

Almost forgot to mention I used pcwiz's guide on infinitemac to get my gtx 260 working.

At this point I'm ready to just buy a usb audio adapter and usb network adapter. :(

Few more newb questions:

I still hold out hope on getting the on board audio working but I've lost hope on getting the built in networking working after reading all the problems people have been having.

Thanks in advance!

p.s. the past two night I've replaced sleep with caffeine trying to get this system up and I'm starting to feel the effects of lack of sleep :blink: LOL

ROCK AND ROLL!

not sure about the audio on that board but you can check if your booted off 64 bit by going to about this mac/more info/ scroll down and select the software tab on the right, it'll display it in the middle

you can force 64 bit mode with -x64 in boot.plist if it isnt already....you can see if your qe/ci is enabled if your menu bar up top is transparent and opengl extension viewer app "google"

Hey JaE-V, thanks for the quick response. I have looked at that thread, but I am unable to make it work.

something isnt right, post your steps..2gb or 1 gb card? ill bbL

I've tried to follow the instructions there, but they don't even have instructions for 1gig cards like mine are.

my 285 is 1gig, and yes there's a template there for that card...and thats very strange and unusual not sure what's going on with your card. have you modified any of the nvidia kexts in your extensions folder or tried any alternate methods to get this card working? I'd try to install fresh, copy and paste your boot.plist from your /Extra folder here. Update your system to 10.6.1 if you havent already

Okay, finally after weeks of trying, I've managed to update this board to Snow Leopard 10.6.1 with dual GTX 285s. The only way I could manage to get snow leopard to work, was by following DigitalDJ's instructions here for modifying your DSDT file for dual cards, this finally allowed me to boot up into snow leopard with full QE. Now the only thing I have left to figure out is how to get my network card working in x64, everything else is perfect and it works fine if I boot with arch=i386.