EVGA x58 Installation Guide

JaE-V

136 posts in this topic

This is an awesome guide, thanks to everyone who has devoted time to this. Everything worked for me without a hitch on my EVGA x58 with the exception of Ethernet. It seems like a few folks are having Ethernet issues. I also noticed that when I go to "Network" under "System Preferences" things seem to hang as it tries to open the Network window. I tried installing the above (IONetworking.kext) with KextHelper but I'm not having any luck. TIA for any suggestions.

This is an awesome guide, thanks to everyone who has devoted time to this. Everything worked for me without a hitch on my EVGA x58 with the exception of Ethernet. It seems like a few folks are having Ethernet issues. I also noticed that when I go to "Network" under "System Preferences" things seem to hang as it tries to open the Network window. I tried installing the above (IONetworking.kext) with KextHelper but I'm not having any luck. TIA for any suggestions.

Yes the same thing is happening to me now

@ Fatz:

I got the same thing with the sys prefs hanging and I cured it my re-installing the vanilla IONetworking.kext. I just copied it from my untouched install and ran kext utility and fixed permissions, ....no more hanging, but still no network either.

Weird thing is, when I installed the Realtek1000.kext (the one from this thread) "Network Prefs" actually recognized that I had an ethernet adaptor, but said that the cable was unplugged no matter what I did, untill I entered in the network info manually, it said "connected" but I could not get a ping to my router.

What's weird though, is that when I booted back into Win7 my ethernet adaptor was not detected anymore! I had to shut down and actually remove power from the MB for about a minute to get it working in Win7 again. Hmm. Removed Realtek1000.kext as this would happen after every time that I booted that copy or SL. :(

@ Fatz:

I got the same thing with the sys prefs hanging and I cured it my re-installing the vanilla IONetworking.kext. I just copied it from my untouched install and ran kext utility and fixed permissions, ....no more hanging, but still no network either.

Weird thing is, when I installed the Realtek1000.kext (the one from this thread) "Network Prefs" actually recognized that I had an ethernet adaptor, but said that the cable was unplugged no matter what I did, untill I entered in the network info manually, it said "connected" but I could not get a ping to my router.

What's weird though, is that when I booted back into Win7 my ethernet adaptor was not detected anymore! I had to shut down and actually remove power from the MB for about a minute to get it working in Win7 again. Hmm. Removed Realtek1000.kext as this would happen after every time that I booted that copy or SL. :(

Thanks for the info. I had the experience that the default driver in Windows 7 worked fine, but when I ran Windows Update and pulled the Realtek driver it killed my network connection. I fixed this in Windows by forcing the card to 100 Mbps FULL DUPLEX. I'm not sure what, if anything, this says about the difficulties in Snow Leopard other than we might have a quirky network interface. Maybe you could try forcing the interface to 100 Mbps Full Duplex in SL and see if that helps? Just a thought.

First, thanks for making the overall install for this MB so incredibly easy for all of us. :thumbsup_anim:

Just wondering, do you think maybe some of our ethernets are at a different device path? My IOReg says it's at PEX2 @1C,2. If that's different than yours then maybe we should try changing that in our DSDT? (noobish speculation)

First, thanks for making the overall install for this MB so incredibly easy for all of us. :thumbsup_anim:

Just wondering, do you think maybe some of our ethernets are at a different device path? My IOReg says it's at PEX2 @1C,2. If that's different than yours then maybe we should try changing that in our DSDT? (noobish speculation)

yeah, could be...you know how to create your own dsdt? if not start at step 3 here:

http://www.infinitemac.com/f57/how-to-inst...-on-a-pc-t3137/

let us all know if that works, ill modify the guide

this is the former "binarylayers"

sorry for changing my name mid-topic but that's the name of a site that I just retired to "file server" status. Besides, I hate that name.

Anyhow, I know how to decompile and look at dtds, but that's about it. I have no idea what any of that stuff in there means, and I can't for the life of me find anything in there that seems familiar like "PEX2" or anything for that matter. :) I have tried the dtds patcher (pcwiz) and tried following a guide on manually editing it but their dsdt was a little different than mine.

I'll keep trying but if anyone knows of a good guide that kinda explains what the stuff in the dsdt actually means that would be pretty cool.

this is the former "binarylayers"

sorry for changing my name mid-topic but that's the name of a site that I just retired to "file server" status. Besides, I hate that name.

Anyhow, I know how to decompile and look at dtds, but that's about it. I have no idea what any of that stuff in there means, and I can't for the life of me find anything in there that seems familiar like "PEX2" or anything for that matter. :D I have tried the dtds patcher (pcwiz) and tried following a guide on manually editing it but their dsdt was a little different than mine.

I'll keep trying but if anyone knows of a good guide that kinda explains what the stuff in the dsdt actually means that would be pretty cool.

Editing the dsdt isnt that complicated. You download the dsdt patcher, install it on the booted drive by checking "apply dsdt patch" edit out the section as stated in the guide by replacing what letter it is to a 2 and that's it. No extra steps are required this is just an option to try out if your ethernet isnt working using my dsdt.

Jae-V

couple questions:

1st any luck with sleep/wake?

2nd If you have netflix account can you try to stream Watch it now video I am getting a DRM error in Snow.

Nah, havent even dove into it, its never worked for me, i just have it put my monitor to sleep. Dont have an netflix account, I pay for an rapidshare account which makes getting any movie i need extremely easy :D

While running little snitch beta for Snow, system errors and asks me to shut down. : /

Am I missing something?

Update: I reinstalled Snow thinking it would fix the issue, unfortunately it didn't. While trying to install applications, system screen greys and prompts me to reboot. I did install the remote update from software update without any issues. I checked to see if the applications were compatible with snow and they were. I'm wondering if it is boot.plst issue? JaeV if you wouldn't mind uploading your plst I would like to compare.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated?

I definitely need some help here. I followed the instructions on both this and A_Rocc tutorials but for some reason I get an automatic reboot when trying to boot from the drive Snow Kitty is installed to. Any suggestions?

I had the same issue and mine was solved by disk alignment on my sata ports, it also had something to do with windows 7 being installed on another hdd. I disconnected my windows 7 drive and it started right up, try that out

While running little snitch beta for Snow, system errors and asks me to shut down. : /

Am I missing something?

Update: I reinstalled Snow thinking it would fix the issue, unfortunately it didn't. While trying to install applications, system screen greys and prompts me to reboot. I did install the remote update from software update without any issues. I checked to see if the applications were compatible with snow and they were. I'm wondering if it is boot.plst issue? JaeV if you wouldn't mind uploading your plst I would like to compare.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated?

There's an issue with little snitch and snow, i've seen this mentioned many of times. I dont use it, you'll need to research outside of this thread.

I had the same issue and mine was solved by disk alignment on my sata ports, it also had something to do with windows 7 being installed on another hdd. I disconnected my windows 7 drive and it started right up, try that out

There's an issue with little snitch and snow, i've seen this mentioned many of times. I dont use it, you'll need to research outside of this thread.

Thats strange it's listed as working on the little snitch site.....

Applications that are now working/fixed, but previous versions have issues

Little Snitch 2.2b1

Ok guys i followed the steps and i got a panic or something like that.

IMG_0156.jpg

i'm having this same problem as well. i did one install to find it, then looked through this thread, reformatted the drive partition and went in fo ra fresh install with chameleon 640 version and got it again. i've followed the install word-for word outside of modifying the boot.plist because i'm not quite sure what to do with that

it's the only problem i may actually have so far but i'm installing off a retail copy using kalyway 10.5.2. i'm literally this.close to snow leopard :[

specs are in my sig. i'm stumped ; p

same problem as you mrmach7

you know what the damned thing is.. i'm giving it another shot but i'm partitioning 3 sections so that i have one designated for kalyway, another to attempt a full leopard 10.5.8 install, and a third partition for all the snow leopard attempts i'm sure i'll be making ; /

i dont know if you guys missed the discussion but this problem is because you cant load snow on a hdd with multiple partitions, you'll need a standalone drive until there's a new version of chameleon better equipped for snow.

I also couldnt get my system to boot with 640. Follow that other guide linked if your having problems with mine

i dont know if you guys missed the discussion but this problem is because you cant load snow on a hdd with multiple partitions, you'll need a standalone drive until there's a new version of chameleon better equipped for snow.

I also couldnt get my system to boot with 640. Follow that other guide linked if your having problems with mine

Quick update. I updated my boot.plst to arch=i386 and was able to update to Chameleon RC3.

All snow compatible apps working! Little Snitch running!

Debating on reinstalling snow to another hard drive to address the disk utility; repair disk partition feature.

Is this feature worth a reinstall?

Quick update. I updated my boot.plst to arch=i386 and was able to update to Chameleon RC3.

All snow compatible apps working! Little Snitch running!

Debating on reinstalling snow to another hard drive to address the disk utility; repair disk partition feature.

Is this feature worth a reinstall?

Sweet! You know what i dont think so, since everyone is having that problem i'm sure there'll be a fix for it

I have a Foxconn Flaming blade X58 w/ an i7 920

Figured id let ya know that ur guide works for my mobo,

added an efi string for my gtx260 and nothing else it booted up fully working as far as i can tell,

I have not tried the audio or kextutility yet, waiting for back up to finish.

Both built in network cards work

Hum, apple must have been feeling purple when they made their icons... lol

damn...

that means i'll have to use partitionmagic and gparted live to partition an hfs spot on my windows drive for kalyway and install SL onto the osx drive from there right? only the one partition?

i saw a bit of that discussion but didn't connect it for some reason ;p

Unless chameleon RC 3 fixes this?

I have a Foxconn Flaming blade X58 w/ an i7 920

Figured id let ya know that ur guide works for my mobo,

added an efi string for my gtx260 and nothing else it booted up fully working as far as i can tell,

I have not tried the audio or kextutility yet, waiting for back up to finish.

Both built in network cards work

Hum, apple must have been feeling purple when they made their icons... lol

Sweet!

damn...

that means i'll have to use partitionmagic and gparted live to partition an hfs spot on my windows drive for kalyway and install SL onto the osx drive from there right? only the one partition?

i saw a bit of that discussion but didn't connect it for some reason ;p

Unless chameleon RC 3 fixes this?

Thats a good question, rc 3 is supposed to have native snow support...My system's working flawlessly backing up all my apps and data from leo to snow as we speak. Been stressing it out for a week, seems rock solid

Dear JaE-V and other knowledgeable people,

Can anyone offer me an advice in a case of a kernel panic?

EVGA X58/ NVidia 9800 GTX+ 512/6GB/ 2 WD 1TB Black Kaviars, one of which with Leo 10.5.8

(demonoid downloaded retail) 10.6.432

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/8520/sv300051.jpg

Chameleon RC2 with SL compatible Boot file replaced, EFI string in boot.plist generated to Aquamac's guide,

tried a couple of different dsdt.aml files in Extra folder. Haven't installed Voodoo.HDA into S/L/E yet, thought I'd get it to boot first

please help.

ztjangle