EVGA x58 Installation Guide

JaE-V

136 posts in this topic

Thank you for this excellent guide. Snow Leopard is now working on my system and appears fully functional and stable. I'd like to describe my experience getting to this point for reference to others.

My system specs:

Processor: Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz (Quad Core)

Motherboard: EVGA X58 3X SLI (Intel X58 Chipset) (Supports Triple SLI or CrossFire)

System Memory: 3GB DDR3 1600MHz Muskhin (High-Performance)

Video Card: 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280 1GB (Includes PhysX Technology)

Also, my Snow is running off a USB HD presently.

I originally tried to prepare my Snow HD via my Macbook, which I would then plug into my EVGA when it was ready. Several guides indicated that this is a valid approach, but it was very frustrating. It seemed like I would first have to install Leopard on that HD, when it was stable on the EVGA then I would follow this guide to get Snow Installed on another HD. The worst part was trying to install Chameleon from the Macbook. For some reason, the pkg installers always failed. The manual install didn't work for me either and there weren't very explicit instructions either.

I finally decided to look into distros. First I tried Iatkos v5. I burnt a DVD, popped it in my EVGA, and I was very thrilled to see OSX in some form or other. I tried installing onto my USB HD, and it completed, but that booted crashed on startup.

I then burnt a Kalyway. Popped it in, it booted up. I installed onto my USB, and that booted.

tl;dr version so far: Don't waste time trying to prepare your system on a second mac. Just get Kalyway.

From my Kalyway USB system, I was able to follow this guide and install Snow on another USB.

The only problem I had with this guide was, this section:

Next after the install has completed, go back in the files directory you downloaded and click on the chameleon install 431 package and install with defaults to the snow directory. Then after, install the Chameleon V2 pkg to the snow directory as well.

I got the same error reported by others:

Please install Chameleon v2. This snow leopard support will not function correctly with out Chameleon v2 already installed

To work around this, I installed Chameleon-2.0-RC3-r658. This latest version has the needed Snow support. There's only a manual install on the Chameleon webpage as of this posting, but someone made an installer which can be found here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=184766.

Thanks to everyone that makes this install possible.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a heads up for everyone...

I stupidly installed the 10.6.2 update before checking the forum. The updated cause a kernal panic during boot up.

I replaced the old 'SleepEnabler.kext' with the updated one on netkas' blog. According to netkas "old sleepenabler + new kernel = panic"

Check his blog about the 10.6.2 update before updating, lots of good info.

P.S. I used macdrive in windows to access my snow leopard hard drive and replace 'SleepEnabler.kext' in my 'Extra/Extensions/' folder.

Here's my second problem after installing the 10.6.2 update.

I've been using a TU2-ET100 TRENDnet USB to 10/100Mbps Adapter and it worked great on 10.6/10.6.1.

Networking stopped working after updating to 10.6.2, it still shows up in the system profiler as 'AX88772' and in system preferences/network it shows "USB Ethernet Not Connected".

I found this while searching google for a fix...

"The MacOS update seems to contain an updated driver for USB ethernet:

Mac OSX 10.6.1: com.apple.driver.AppleUSBEthernet version 2.0.9

Mac OSX 10.6.2: com.apple.driver.AppleUSBEthernet version 2.1.0"

Any suggestions? Thanks

Here's my second problem after installing the 10.6.2 update.

I've been using a TU2-ET100 TRENDnet USB to 10/100Mbps Adapter and it worked great on 10.6/10.6.1.

Networking stopped working after updating to 10.6.2, it still shows up in the system profiler as 'AX88772' and in system preferences/network it shows "USB Ethernet Not Connected".

I found this while searching google for a fix...

"The MacOS update seems to contain an updated driver for USB ethernet:

Mac OSX 10.6.1: com.apple.driver.AppleUSBEthernet version 2.0.9

Mac OSX 10.6.2: com.apple.driver.AppleUSBEthernet version 2.1.0"

Any suggestions? Thanks

Right in front of you, replace the newer version with the older version and see if that restores the card's functionality. Save copies of both just in case.

EVGA X58 SLI model 132-BL-E758-A1

Yup, "kernal panic during boot up" with "dsmos: Using dict Setting_2". So far I tried various methods to get it to go but the only one that seems to work is to replace the kernal with 10.0 instead of the 10.2.

Luckily, I have multiple drives to test out theories on. Big thanks to those Carbon Copy people for saving my bacon.

One thing that has come out great now sense the update, fully running 64bit on everything kext wise. And my Radeon HD4850 has the 4800controller 64bit kext working and thanking netkas.

One very interesting thing is that even when i switched out the kernal it still panics unless i replace the updated netkas SleepEnabler.kext an NullCPUPowerManagement.kext back but its kinda a catch 22.

Well without the kernal updated "18megs of it" everything works as it did but slightly better graphics performance with 64bit and Arthros 64bit wifi and broadcom bluetooth works as well, nothing seems broken or not business as usual.

Any direction to what might cure my kernal hiccup welcomed?

Ok, now working with Darwin 10.2 kernal

1. download intstall pkg 6.2 from Apple's website

2. install but do not reboot! :whistle:

3. remove old kext ( in my case SleepEnabler.kext an NullCPUPowerManagement.kext ) and in my Extra/Extensions folder i had dsmos.kext removed this permanently. Placed from netkas.org and even added the LegacyATI4800Controller.kext for my HD4850

4. rebuild using Kext Utility here is the link

5. reboot

OK everything updated and working

side note: I use a usb drive with a copy of Snow Leopard that is a mirror image of a fresh nonbooted install as my base backup and then carbon copy cloner to play around with stuff. Its much faster to use a Mac or Hackintosh to simply clone back a fresh copy in minutes.

Why doesn't my MOTU 828mkii firewire sound card work? I installed the latest MOTU drivers. This is how device manager sees it:

FireWire Bus:

Maximum Speed: Up to 400 Mb/sec

Vendor 0x1F2 Device 0x101800:

Manufacturer: 0x1F2

Model: 0x101800

GUID: 0x1F2000001AE73

Maximum Speed: Up to 400 Mb/sec

Connection Speed: Up to 400 Mb/sec

Sub-units:

Unknown Unit:

Unit Software Version: 0x3

Unit Spec ID: 0x1F2

I'm having a problem with After Effects. :D

Running: After Effects CS4 on an Intel Core i7 hackintosh running 10.6.2.

When I enable multiprocessing in the preferences "Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously" and render a comp I get the spinning wheel which leads me to have to force quit. I've adjusted the cpus/ram parameters and tried many combinations without any luck and tested all the ram sticks.

It renders fine without the option enabled but it kind of sucks not to be able to use it. I have a feeling it's a After Effects/i7 problem but I'm not sure.

Can any i7 hackintosh after effects user confirm if they are able to use the "Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously" option on their systems.

Any help/input greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great Guide... I almost got it on the seventy seventh try. That was in October... Well, I'm a core i7 mac hacker... Got no sound and can't get online with the i7, but it's up and running. Just think... I had a perfect working XP computer and couldn't wait to get it changed over to a mac. I screwed up the install as I installed through my Mac Pro. I used the Pro and put the HD into it to load the program and Boot stuff. I used two HD's and kept trying each till one worked, The one that is working has more kext than this guide and I used a Chameleon from Ga-ep45-ud3 which has all the drivers for big HD and video cards. I half expected it to work with the sound, but no luck.. I'll post it as soon as I backup.http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif

Once again... Thankz

Hello Everyone...

I’m happy as can be.. Got the Mac Pro up and running and now the i7.. Well here’s what I did to get what I got... First .. I have no problem with sleep.. it nods off whenever it wants and wakes up like its suppose too.

second. I’m not sure what it is I did (maybe its the (chameleon) that’s got this machine acting like my GA- EP45-UD3R - Intel Q9650 - 8GB DDR2 1066 - WD 1TB - Seagate 500 GB - GTX 9800 **** This one is EVGA X58 3X SLI - Intel Core i7 260 - 1 TB WD - 8 GB DDR 3 1333 - Nvida 260 - ***** Lookin for EVGA board with the Intel cpu doin 10.6 had me crazy.. Here is the kext Extensions

AHCIPortInjector.kext

ATAPortInjector.kext

fakesmc.kext

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

NVEnabler 64.kext

NVinject-1.kext

NVinject-2.kext

NVinject-3.kext

NVinject-4.kext

NVinject.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

SleepEnabler.kext

VoodooHDA.kextAHCIPortInjector.kext

Extra

com.apple.Boot.plist

dsdt.aml

Extensions

Extensions.mkext

Kext Helper b7

KextUtility.v2.3.2.dmg

mkextMaker

smbios.plist

Themes

If I knew how to let youz access the files I’d do it.. If someone wants to PM and tell me how ta let yez get the files, no problem.. As I get more info I’ll keep posting..

Hello Everyone...

I’m happy as can be.. Got the Mac Pro up and running and now the i7.. Well here’s what I did to get what I got... First .. I have no problem with sleep.. it nods off whenever it wants and wakes up like its suppose too.

second. I’m not sure what it is I did (maybe its the (chameleon) that’s got this machine acting like my GA- EP45-UD3R - Intel Q9650 - 8GB DDR2 1066 - WD 1TB - Seagate 500 GB - GTX 9800 **** This one is EVGA X58 3X SLI - Intel Core i7 260 - 1 TB WD - 8 GB DDR 3 1333 - Nvida 260 - ***** Lookin for EVGA board with the Intel cpu doin 10.6 had me crazy.. Here is the kext Extensions

AHCIPortInjector.kext

ATAPortInjector.kext

fakesmc.kext

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

NVEnabler 64.kext

NVinject-1.kext

NVinject-2.kext

NVinject-3.kext

NVinject-4.kext

NVinject.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

SleepEnabler.kext

VoodooHDA.kextAHCIPortInjector.kext

Extra

com.apple.Boot.plist

dsdt.aml

Extensions

Extensions.mkext

Kext Helper b7

KextUtility.v2.3.2.dmg

mkextMaker

smbios.plist

Themes

If I knew how to let youz access the files I’d do it.. If someone wants to PM and tell me how ta let yez get the files, no problem.. As I get more info I’ll keep posting..

You're saying you have a evga x58 board (e758) with sleep working? How did you pull that off? Can you zip your Extra folder and send it to me/

You're saying you have a evga x58 board (e758) with sleep working? How did you pull that off? Can you zip your Extra folder and send it to me/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
??

I'm guessing it was a BS comment..

There is no guide that he solved the sleep issue.

Check if this works with SL.

I found this on a Windows tread found here:http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1482046

Uncheck

"Allow this device to wake the computer" Power Management tab.

What results did you get?

Second.

What happens of you check the box "Restart Automatically after Power failure" or something similar on SL.

What result did you get?

What is causing the sleep problem?

What did change since the 10.6.1 update that disabled the sleep/ made problems with sleep?

• 2 weeks later...