Snow Leopard works in GA-965P-S3

moarfish

332 posts in this topic

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys izzit me or my hackintosh gets more slower and slower as the days goes by. I check my start up and I have like around 500mb free. Running just one safari it eats up till 600-700mb. I have 2gb rams. Planning to get more soon.

And Im a designer so I use alot of used fonts. And I think the fonts are making my system laggy. I use Linotype Font explorer but I cant seem to see the difference which are the ones I installed and which are the system fonts.

• 3 weeks later...
Hey guys izzit me or my hackintosh gets more slower and slower as the days goes by. I check my start up and I have like around 500mb free. Running just one safari it eats up till 600-700mb. I have 2gb rams. Planning to get more soon.

And Im a designer so I use alot of used fonts. And I think the fonts are making my system laggy. I use Linotype Font explorer but I cant seem to see the difference which are the ones I installed and which are the system fonts.

I noticed that to, I was having problems when using Handbrake to convert to MP4 that the program would give me a "No space on drive" error. I did a fresh install and its flying now.

leclercqr

Hi guys,

I really need some help, I just installed snow leopard, I have downloaded the kext pack for the 965P-s3 and i have did all the steps what Slither2008 wrote down, everything started to work except the sound :( . In the Systempreferencies --> Sound It says I have no output/input device :S. I also tried ALC888 from here http://www.kexts.com/view/320-alc888_hd_audio.html , but no luck, can someone help? or can someone post a kext which one works with my mobo (965P-s3).. and 10.6 ?

bye.

Successfully updated to 10.6.3.

- Remove/replace SleepEnabler.kext with the 10.6.3 version

- Run KEXT utility

- Run Update, worked without issues.

Hi guys,

I really need some help, I just installed snow leopard, I have downloaded the kext pack for the 965P-s3 and i have did all the steps what Slither2008 wrote down, everything started to work except the sound :( . In the Systempreferencies --> Sound It says I have no output/input device :S. I also tried ALC888 from here http://www.kexts.com/view/320-alc888_hd_audio.html , but no luck, can someone help? or can someone post a kext which one works with my mobo (965P-s3).. and 10.6 ?

bye.

The problem is that the 965P-S3 uses ALC883, not 888.

If you install using Slithers DSDT and Kexts you should get Analogue sound (no digital). Try running the kext utility.

Also, if you have the KEXT files in the /Extra/Extensions folder then the problem is most likely to be in the DSDT (are you using Slithers one?)

First of all, thanks leclercqr for the update trick, now I have 10.6.3 :D . I used the kext I have downloaded from here, I tried to reinstall it, I used kext utility but no luck. I also noticed that if I want to boot in 32bit I have Kernel panic. I started to google (again) and I FOUND THE SOLUTION! :) finally I've downloaded VoodooHDA kext from here

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=175372

I have installed the prefpane, and add the helper file to my login items, and now I have sound! :).

Successfully updated to 10.6.3.

- Remove/replace SleepEnabler.kext with the 10.6.3 version

- Run KEXT utility

- Run Update, worked without issues.

Worked for me, but sound died. Gotta check that out now...

*edit*

Sound still doesn't want to work for me. I tried a few other ALC883 kexts, as well as VoodooHDA (which KP'd) and HDAEnabler. I'm wondering if there might be any conflicts on my end, or a disabler I haven't disabled...

This is on the kexts supplied in Slither's 2.1 kextpack:

10-04-05 12:46:26 PM	kernel	Not loading kext com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController - not found and kextd not available in early boot.
10-04-05 12:46:52 PM	kernel	Sound assertion "!hasInitialSettings" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-184.4.3/AppleHDA/AppleHDAEngine.cpp" at line 7356 goto Exit
10-04-05 12:46:54 PM	kernel	Sound assertion "0 != activateAudioEngine ( engine )" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-184.4.3/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 1955 goto Exit
10-04-05 12:46:54 PM	kernel	Sound assertion "!activateAudioEngines ()" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-184.4.3/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 205 goto Exit

Any ideas what I should check?

• 2 weeks later...

I never found a kext that worked for audio in 10.6.3, so I had to revert to a previous Time Machine backup. Has anyone got audio working in 10.6.3 on this board, preferably with the level of features we had before, ie 8-channel out and working inputs?

Kind of late to the party...

I followed the instruction with the link from the 1st post and one of the dsdt file in this thread to get 10.6 running on my GA-965P-DS3 rev 1 running. Everything works except audio. I have tried several of the kext listed in this thread but no luck. Can someone point me to the right combination of DSDT file and ALC883 kext that will do the trick? Just want some sound, no fancy digital output.

Thanks.

I followed the instruction with the link from the 1st post and one of the dsdt file in this thread to get 10.6 running on my GA-965P-DS3 rev 1 running. Everything works except audio. I have tried several of the kext listed in this thread but no luck. Can someone point me to the right combination of DSDT file and ALC883 kext that will do the trick? Just want some sound, no fancy digital output.

Thanks.

I'm not certain it'll work on the DS3, as I only have an S3, but take a look at my sig. The kextpack there worked for me in 10.6.2, but not 10.6.3. As for the DSDT, I think someone posted it somewhere in this thread...

I'm not certain it'll work on the DS3, as I only have an S3, but take a look at my sig. The kextpack there worked for me in 10.6.2, but not 10.6.3. As for the DSDT, I think someone posted it somewhere in this thread...

Thanks but it didn't work. According to System Profiler, the Audio (Built In)

is

Device ID: 0x1458a002

Audio ID: 883

and nothing list under Available Devices:

Thanks.

I got sound with with the voodooHDA.kext from http://www.kexts.com/view/189-voodoohda_v2.5.3.html on my GA-965P-DS3 rev 1. This is on SL 10.6...

I have also ended up using VoodooHDA (latest) to get Digital (Coax) working, I will return during my UNI holidays to work on the DSDT and KEXT to build on the outstanding work of Slither.

My big problem now is Sleep, I would like to be able to use sleep properly so I can just leave the computer running but alas no luck. If any one has sleep working on their 965P-S3 please let me know and if possible send me the DSDT, KEXTs and system details you are using.

Thanks.

I have also ended up using VoodooHDA (latest) to get Digital (Coax) working, I will return during my UNI holidays to work on the DSDT and KEXT to build on the outstanding work of Slither.

My big problem now is Sleep, I would like to be able to use sleep properly so I can just leave the computer running but alas no luck. If any one has sleep working on their 965P-S3 please let me know and if possible send me the DSDT, KEXTs and system details you are using.

Thanks.

I've got the same board as in your sig, and everything works properly under 10.6.2, even sleep. I'm on bios F13, but I don't know if that'll make a difference. Also, I don't use digital audio, but analog 8ch out and inputs work on mine.

Thanks but it didn't work. According to System Profiler, the Audio (Built In)

is

Device ID: 0x1458a002

Audio ID: 883

and nothing list under Available Devices:

Which version of SL are you on? The kexts I pointed you to only worked on 10.6.2 for me.

I'm going to see if VoodooHDA works for me on 10.6.2, since I only tried it under 10.6.3 when it didn't work.

Which version of SL are you on? The kexts I pointed you to only worked on 10.6.2 for me.

I'm going to see if VoodooHDA works for me on 10.6.2, since I only tried it under 10.6.3 when it didn't work.

I am on 10.6.0... I am not sure I will upgrade because I am using a 7900gs 256mb video card and I heard there are issues with 10.6.2 and above with that card.

I am on 10.6.0... I am not sure I will upgrade because I am using a 7900gs 256mb video card and I heard there are issues with 10.6.2 and above with that card.

Hmm, it may be worth mentioning that you can still download the upgrade to 10.6.1 from Apple, and the kexts I used should work in 10.6.1, except maybe the SleepEnabler. I don't think there was an issue with them in 10.6.0, but I could be wrong. Either way, I'd suggest tracking down a 8600GT or whatever, if you're able to.

FWIW, reverting to an older Time Machine backup worked great for me going back to 10.6.2, and all I had to reinstall after was Chameleon. Might help you if you want to try 10.6.1...

*edit* Yeah, VoodooHDA doesn't work for me in 10.6.2. Dunno what I'm doing wrong...

Hmm, it may be worth mentioning that you can still download the upgrade to 10.6.1 from Apple, and the kexts I used should work in 10.6.1, except maybe the SleepEnabler. I don't think there was an issue with them in 10.6.0, but I could be wrong. Either way, I'd suggest tracking down a 8600GT or whatever, if you're able to.

FWIW, reverting to an older Time Machine backup worked great for me going back to 10.6.2, and all I had to reinstall after was Chameleon. Might help you if you want to try 10.6.1...

*edit* Yeah, VoodooHDA doesn't work for me in 10.6.2. Dunno what I'm doing wrong...

Before upgrading to 10.6.1 and beyond, I think I will clean up my boot loader first. For now, I have Win7 and 10.5.8 on a MRB based hard drive and 10.6.0 on a GUID drive. I have Chameleon RC4 to dual boot between W7 and Leopard and I am using F12 of the bios to boot SL. Will see If I can using Chameleon to triple boot them all.

Will I have issue with a GeForce 9500 GT 512MB for SL 10.6.1 and beyond? I think Newegg will have one onsale this coming Friday.

Before upgrading to 10.6.1 and beyond, I think I will clean up my boot loader first. For now, I have Win7 and 10.5.8 on a MRB based hard drive and 10.6.0 on a GUID drive. I have Chameleon RC4 to dual boot between W7 and Leopard and I am using F12 of the bios to boot SL. Will see If I can using Chameleon to triple boot them all.

Will I have issue with a GeForce 9500 GT 512MB for SL 10.6.1 and beyond? I think Newegg will have one onsale this coming Friday.

I have Win7 and SL on 2 separate drives, and Chameleon RC4 can dual boot fine for me. As for the 9500GT, I think you'll be fine, since the new Macbooks use the 9400. To be perfectly safe though, you'll want to find a card that the current or last gen Macs use, like a 9400, 9600, 8600, or whatever. Take a look at Apple's specs and try and find a similar card.

I re-did my SL installation with kext and dsdt files from http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1255132 , and upgraded to 10.6.1 without issue. Still have sound and no issue with sleep.