Snow Leopard works in GA-965P-S3

moarfish

332 posts in this topic

Hey, currently I am having issues with getting sound working. Also I have noticed that my system stalls when there is an ongoing harddrive activity. But everything else works :P

I notice in your sig that you have Bios F14. Try F13 and see if that helps. Also try the kexts from the links in my sig. If neither help, I'll post my bios settings. Are you using a SATA hard drive and DVD drive?

I notice in your sig that you have Bios F14. Try F13 and see if that helps. Also try the kexts from the links in my sig. If neither help, I'll post my bios settings. Are you using a SATA hard drive and DVD drive?

Please post your bios settings. The kexts & F13 bios didn't work. I am using both SATA harddrives & DVD-drive.

Please post your bios settings. The kexts & F13 bios didn't work. I am using both SATA harddrives & DVD-drive.

Heh, I just noticed you've got board rev 3.3, where I have a 1.0 board. Try this DSDT and see if it helps. I'll be back in a couple minutes with bios settings...

*edit*

Ok, bios settings here. You want to start from Optimized Defaults, and change ONLY what I've listed:

Integrated Peripherals:

SATA AHCI Mode: AHCI

Azalia Codec: Auto

Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode: AHCI

Power Management Setup:

HPET Support: 64-bit mode

MB Intelligent Tweaker:

System Voltage Control: Auto

For good measure, I've also disabled Floppy drive, Serial and Parallel ports, and enabled USB keyboard and mouse support. The only other things to change at your preference are boot order, Smart Fan Control, and CPU Warning Temperature.

Heh, I just noticed you've got board rev 3.3, where I have a 1.0 board. Try this DSDT and see if it helps. I'll be back in a couple minutes with bios settings...

*edit*

Ok, bios settings here. You want to start from Optimized Defaults, and change ONLY what I've listed:

Integrated Peripherals:

SATA AHCI Mode: AHCI

Azalia Codec: Auto

Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode: AHCI

Power Management Setup:

HPET Support: 64-bit mode

MB Intelligent Tweaker:

System Voltage Control: Auto

For good measure, I've also disabled Floppy drive, Serial and Parallel ports, and enabled USB keyboard and mouse support. The only other things to change at your preference are boot order, Smart Fan Control, and CPU Warning Temperature.

I doubt that there is any difference between DSDT files, because the bios those boards use is the same. Therefore the supplied dsdts are the same.

*edit*

I've been using this DSDT for a while now, just removed his gfx settings.

Bios settings did not work, using these at the moment: http://www.upload.ee/gallery/3317/Bios2.html

I will upload the kexts I am using soon.

Here they are: http://www.upload.ee/files/667798/kexts.zip.html

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys I managed to install a fresh new copy of osx into my new harddisk for 965p ds3 rev 1.0. Everything is running smoothly so far. I have sound, max resolution, and dvd working using Jmicron.

Currently the main harddisk is pluged into the Purple Sata slot. But the remaining yellow sata slot doesnt seem to be able to boot up into mac when I plug it into the orange sata slot. Is there a way to make all the slots usable? I have 3 harddisk with me now.

Hey guys I managed to install a fresh new copy of osx into my new harddisk for 965p ds3 rev 1.0. Everything is running smoothly so far. I have sound, max resolution, and dvd working using Jmicron.

Currently the main harddisk is pluged into the Purple Sata slot. But the remaining yellow sata slot doesnt seem to be able to boot up into mac when I plug it into the orange sata slot. Is there a way to make all the slots usable? I have 3 harddisk with me now.

are they set for AHCI mode? I have no issue using the yellow sata ports.

Hi all, been off the computer for the past week as my video card popped a cap in it's ass (literally blew a capacitor to pieces, damn POS Zotac card with FAKE polymer capacitors). Finally got a new video card yesterday.

I doubt that there is any difference between DSDT files, because the bios those boards use is the same. Therefore the supplied dsdts are the same.

*edit*

I've been using this DSDT for a while now, just removed his gfx settings.

Bios settings did not work, using these at the moment: http://www.upload.ee/gallery/3317/Bios2.html

I will upload the kexts I am using soon.

Here they are: http://www.upload.ee/files/667798/kexts.zip.html

You must be using a different bios than F13, or the V3.3 uses a different bios than the 1.0, as your screenshots have options mine doesn't have on F13. Either way, disable Sata Port0-1 Native Mode, enable Onboard Sata/IDE Device and set it as AHCI instead of IDE, and remove ALL overclocking and overvolting settings! I believe I read somewhere that OSX is more prone to problems from overclocking than Winblows, but I may be wrong. I've uploaded the kexts etc that I use, but you should change the EFI string in com.apple.Boot.plist and change the uuid in smbios.plist. The files should be self explanatory as to where they go, and use the kext utility included to fix the permissions on the new files.

If you still have problems, then there's something we're both missing, you have hardware problems, or you're doing something differently than what I'm suggesting. Seriously, use every file I've included, regardless of whether you think it'll help or not, and remove any other kexts I haven't directly provided (except the default ones in S/L/E of course). I know these kexts and settings work; been running this system for months with no problems. Try a different hard drive, SATA port, or even SATA cable, if possible. If you have a spare hard drive, full erase it (zero fill) and try installing from scratch there.

I'm not trying to be harsh; it's just that my last job was as an onsite computer tech, and I had way too many people not follow my instructions and STILL come back to complain to me that my suggestions didn't work or broke their system more. So apologies if I'm a bit harsh, it's just that I can't see exactly what's going on at your end, and I'm not in the most fantastic mood after being forced to buy a new video card I can't afford as I'm now unemployed (long story).

are they set for AHCI mode? I have no issue using the yellow sata ports.

I also have no issue with the yellow ports when set to AHCI, and Native Mode disabled. Make sure you're using Port 0? Also I remember there being a different dsdt for the DS3 board, is that what you're using? Possibly different kexts for the DS3 as well? Or was it just audio that was different?

kexts.zip

Well I thought I must set it at AHCI according to one of the tutorials for hackintosh. Will try it when I get home

Hmm, I should rephrase myself (and toolbox if I may), in that you want AHCI to be enabled, which it sounds like you already have done.

Also, @Ingram, is your sound still not working? You've got a different set of audio kexts than I'm using. Still looking over the other kexts you posted. Also, your dsdt is around 5kb, where mine is 18kb. No idea what the difference is yet. Can these be decompiled?

Also, @Ingram, is your sound still not working? You've got a different set of audio kexts than I'm using. Still looking over the other kexts you posted. Also, your dsdt is around 5kb, where mine is 18kb. No idea what the difference is yet. Can these be decompiled?

iaslme can be used to compile/decompile those files.

I got my audio working with the kext I have there. It isn't the issue anymore, although I'd like to get it to work via dsdt one day (and minimally use kexts). The harddisk problem still exists - applications just freeze when HDD is in full use (case led is red) and if i want to open some application, it starts after the activity is gone. I have never had this issue before with leopard. Can't remember having it during first week of SL release either.

I'm back home now and I noticed that xbench shows very low figures on disk test. I found this thread and tried to clear up the IRQ-s but it didn't work.

The issue looks similar to post #25 there.

E: I cleaned up my /E/E folder and accidentaly removed networking. Disk speeds increased a lot. Trying it twice now.

E2: Yes, it has some effect. Left is with networking .kext loaded & right one is without it.

http://i25.tinypic.com/dzv97p.png

I'm back home now and I noticed that xbench shows very low figures on disk test. I found this thread and tried to clear up the IRQ-s but it didn't work.

The issue looks similar to post #25 there.

E: I cleaned up my /E/E folder and accidentaly removed networking. Disk speeds increased a lot. Trying it twice now.

E2: Yes, it has some effect. Left is with networking .kext loaded & right one is without it.

http://i25.tinypic.com/dzv97p.png

Try putting your network kext in /S/L/E instead of /E/E. I can't remember the problem I had with it in /E/E, but I did have problems with it there. You'll have to replace the original IONetworkingFamily.kext there. Or try the one in my kext pack a few posts back, as it's a newer version (1.9, where yours is 1.8).

*edit* Forgot to mention, I get Xbench results around 60 for disk test with network kext, so similar to yours without networking.

I got almost everything working now by a lot of assistance from IRC - pity I had to disable the onboard lan. Now I am trying to understand how DSDT audio works.

Getting audio working is far more difficult than I have expected. I have already a set of working kexts but I was hoping to get all ports working. (rear orange and AC97 version of the front panel microphone aren't working with the supplied kext)

http://www.upload.ee/files/701844/LegacyHDA.kext.zip.html

hi guys,

i would like to post my xbench results to compare it with yours, in the past i have some (subjectively) performance-problems ...

here my results

bildschirmfoto20100724u.jpg

my graphic: nvida 8800 gt 512 mb ram

• 3 months later...
Anyone tried updating their new update?

Updated my GA-P965-S3 v3.3 with 10.6.4, which was working perfectly, to 10.6.5 and I now have no audio. I managed to get Sleep working using a DSDT.aml file I found for this board. Graphics doesn't seem to have been affected at all (Nvidia 7300GS).

I have tried a number of kexts for this board and for this chip (ALC883) but I can not for the life of me get it working. Under System Profiler it lists the audio as an Intel HD audio but of course it still does not work.

Has anyone managed to get a working DSDT.aml for this board which will have the audio working? I couldn't modify my DSDT with some codes to use in a DSDT for this chip (kept getting compiling errors).

Tried it and was not successful. Do I keep the AppleHDA.kext in S/L/E? This board uses ALC883 not ALC888 not sure if that matters with this driver.

I had been using the voodoohda kext for my onboard sound. the 10.6.5 update broke that kext for me so rather than have to deal with searching for an updated version of that kext I just bought a USB sound card that works out of the box with OSX

USB 2.0 Audio Adapter

10.6.5 also killed the modified marvel yukon kext for my network card, need to figure out if there is a way to create a separate kext that doesn't get overwritten everytime I install an update

10.6.5 also killed the modified marvel yukon kext for my network card, need to figure out if there is a way to create a separate kext that doesn't get overwritten everytime I install an update

You could use some shellscript to recreate your modified kext, so once you do the update all you have to do it run your shellscript and you should be good to go. :(

• 2 weeks later...
You could use some shellscript to recreate your modified kext, so once you do the update all you have to do it run your shellscript and you should be good to go. :)

How do you do that dude? I wanna update to 10.6.5 but I don't know what I should change for the kexts

• 2 weeks later...

Slither's Kextpack for Snow Leopard 10.6.5

It's been a while since I checked this thread, but I thought I'd share my recent kext pack for GA-965-S3 Firmware version 14 running OS X 10.6.5. I understand that my rig may be different to someone elses with the same mobo, so feel free to take what you need and maybe learn from how I successfully configured mine.

Main changes :

- 10.6.5 compatible

- NullCpuPowerManagment is no longer needed

- AppleRTC is no longer needed

- Replaced OpenHaltRestart with EvoReboot

- Edited dsdt to allow AppleIntelCpuPowerManagment to run without KP

- Added a proper fakesmc that works in the /Extra folder

- Cpu temps should be recognised by iStat

- Added SleepEnabler.kext for 10.6.5 compatible in 64bit mode

- Edited com.apple.Boot.plist to enable dropssdt, generation of P & C-states by Chameleon RC5

Features :

- USB

- Built-in Sound 5.1 Analogue

- Nvidia 8800 (Change the EFI string for your own card)

- Built-in Network

- Shutdown/Restart/Sleep/Wake

- Native Apple Power Management

- CPU Temperature stats

Download Here : http://www.mediafire.com/?al39c1oipgihvq7

How to install

1. Install Chameleon RC5 on your hard drive: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...75#entry1543024

2. Copy the Extra folder from my kext pack to the root of your hard drive. i.e /Extra

3. Copy the AppleHDA.kext from my pack to your /System/Library/Extensions folder

4. Repair permissions and remove the mkext

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext
sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext

5. Open /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/ in your finder and wait until the system rebuilds it's Extensions.mkext.

6. Once you see the Extensions.mkext reboot.

Regards,

Steve.