Snow Leopard works in GA-965P-S3

moarfish

332 posts in this topic

Yes, i have the same messages ...

i am looking for audio card (pci solution) how does the usb solution works? what about dts pass through?

I can't see anything specific but it is designed for PC-DJ-RECORDER applications so I would imagine that it is only pass-through (can't think of why any optical user would want pre-encoded sound from optical??) I haven't got one yet but its looking pretty likely, I've tried so many different solutions just trying to get another HDD for linux to try from scratch.

In terms of function/support its simply PLUG 'n' PLAY the 'sound outputs will show something like 'USB sound device output' assuming of course it supports Snow Leopard. I'll let you know how it works when I get one.

Just found out I've this exact board, with a E6300 intel chip and a GT6600 GPU all running Windows XP. I was going to buy the gear for a Hackingtosh but it looks like this system will do fine for a dual windows / mac machine.

Can anyone point me to a guide to setup snow leopard on this machine, the above guide is for those who already have Leopard on there, I'm looking for either a complete newbies guide for Snow leopard or the same but for basic Leopard.

Any one got any links?

Thanks.

You will need a working OSX to install the bootloader (Chameleon) onto you Snow Leopard (SL) install. However, it could theoretically be done using a Chameleon boot cd/usb but I have not tried it this way. It is much simpler if you have the install that way you can do all the changes in an OS, for ease I used Kalyway OSX 5.2 install to get running because the hardware required all works out of the box. A few things to note from my experiences installing SL over the past few weeks.

1. You will need to extract your own DSDT file, I had random kernel panics using the one provided by Slither. When comparing the two line by line mine was slightly different (maybe because I'm using bios F14)

2. Expect to be investing a considerable amount of time into the install. I'm still working on it and have spent many many hours.

Check out BlackOSX's guide "http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=180954/"

GOOD LUCK

I'll let you know how it works when I get one.

thx a lot :)

@ scaryjones: the best (and most easiest) way is to install snow leo. from a leopard installtion. use kalway or ideneb und you need a lot of time and patience :( good luck!

Just a quick update on my SL status.

Currently running 64bit kernel with everything except for sound. Runs like a charm, no KP since install and trying to boot 32bit kernel.

@Parwo, I ordered the USB sound device with optical after reading some pretty good review and finding that the optical only functions as pass-through so what ever the software encodes the signal to I guess.

I still have to get around to changing the DSDT to get the SATA drives (orange) to register as ESB2 like Mac Pros but this is a project for the holidays.

I am booting a single drive from the Raid controller (purple plugs) without issue and SL shows the JMicro without any kext or DSDT hacking. When I get some spare cash I'll buy a couple of drives and try install and booting from a raid. (Just a shame there is only two preventing a 1+0).

I ran through the Master Chief audio patching guide and found that quite a few of the addresses and verbs used were different on my maching but correcting this didn't help. I still registers my card by the wrong ID# and doesn't load the device only listing in the System Profiler. I'll get back to it in the holidays.

Just in case any of you are looking for a Bluetooth USB adapter.

I just got one for $6 of eBay.

"http://cgi.ebay.com.au/MICRO-MINI-USB-2-0-BLUETOOTH-WIRELESS-DONGLE-ADAPTER_W0QQitemZ170372446530QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Laptop_Accessories?hash=item27aafd3942"

Just plugged it in and OSX (SL) just installed it and it works without issue.

thx i have already a bluetooth usb stick from d-link DBT-122

but i dont unterstand the relation to sound???

Sorry, none just a general comment. Should get the USB optical sound adapter soon, I didn't think I would miss having sound this much!

Another of sound question, are you able to boot the 32bit SL kernel?

Firstly, if you are using an IDE drive try removing it and booting, when I had a IDE DVD drive Chameleon wouldn't boot and I got the cursor you mentioned.

Secondly, I'm running the GA-965P-S3 and I'm using the KEXT pack provided by Slither earlier in the post.

The Install method I used is slightly different to the one at the begining of this thread, I have found that this avoids the 'no install package error' mentioned earlier. With this mehtod and the patched DSDT file I can boot 64bit only, do all software updates and use all hardware except the following:

i) IDE

ii) PS2

iii) Sound (progress is slow)

iv) Some issues when USB external HDD spins down for power save otherwise no USB problems.

v) 32bit boot

Everything else works without error and Xbench puts my machine about 15 points higher than a MacBook Pro with similar specs.

Steps :

1. I installed using the BootCD provided on "http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=180954/" to boot the retail DVD then installed with all the options check by default. I installed on a separate hard drive configured with 1 partition (GUID).

2. Then with my existing Leopard install to install Chameleon (provided in Slithers KEXT 2.1 pack also) ten instead of using the "boot" file provided in the KEXT pack I used 'OC EFI 10.3'. I installed the bootloader and KEXTs to the hidden EFI partition.

3. Using 'Patcher02Beta4' I extracted the DSDT.aml file from the BIOS file i'm using (F14) and placed it on the EFI partition. The one I'm currently using I applied all the patching options except video, I'm still playing with the DSDT file to get sound going.

4. The attached boot.plist got most of my gear going without DSDT (except sound, fingers cross PC EFI 10.4).

The RAR file attached is the file on my EFI partition (this is what is visible doesn't include the boot loader files installed by Chameleon Installer except the 'boot' file)

Let me know how you go.

Rowan.

Hi. I used the Netkas PC EFI 10.4.1 or 10.5 which worked with your Extras (using RC1) and I boot on 10.6.1. Thanks. Caveats: It only has sleep on VGA and it does not have sound ( ALC833) though and I can't switch the command and option keys in the keyboard control panel (it probably will switch if I use a usb to PS/2 adapter), it says Xeon on About Mac, Audio Midi Setup crashes. Also the time messes up noth OSes when using Windows 7 then back again to 10.6 and vice versa.

I'm gonna' try the Voodoo HDA and another HDA for the sound in this thread put it in Extras folder. What solutions did you use for these cavets though? If I find a VGA to DisplayPort dongle, will I be able to have you think, sleep using the DisplayPort or VGA is enough (does anyone know the significance of DisplayPort or HDMI or DVI to VGA anyway)?

By the way how do I know I'm running in 64-bit?

Again my setup is: GA-965P-DS3 rev.1, 4870 1GB Dual Sonic Palit (2 firmware normal/turbo for experimentation, one port for everything including HDMI and DisplayPort), Razer Lachesis and Lycosa, SB560 5.1, Q6600, 4GB Ballistix 800Mhz

Gbu,

Alvin

Just found out I've this exact board, with a E6300 intel chip and a GT6600 GPU all running Windows XP. I was going to buy the gear for a Hackingtosh but it looks like this system will do fine for a dual windows / mac machine.

Can anyone point me to a guide to setup snow leopard on this machine, the above guide is for those who already have Leopard on there, I'm looking for either a complete newbies guide for Snow leopard or the same but for basic Leopard.

Any one got any links?

Thanks.

Firstly I recommend you switch your 6600GT with something newer than 7xxx Series.

To install without Leopard, you need to have a USB Thumb drive with 8GB capacity or above.

Find a Mac or a hackintosh somewhere, and format your USB Thumb drive using Disk utitlity and create two partition.

one called "Bootloader" another called "CD" using MBR and HFS+

Under Disk Utitlty, restore the Snow Leopard Image to the partition "CD"

Download Chameleon RC3 and install it in "Bootloader". Please remind that in order to avoid error message, you have to click custom during install and left everything unclick, only click the Main Program on the top of the list.

Put all extensions kext file in Extra\Extensions

You can now boot from the USB and start the Snow Leopard Installation.

Once Complete the installation, boot from the USB again and select the HDD in Chameleon.

Install Chameleon in the Harddisk and the kexts file and you are done.

Hi. For the GA-965P-DS3: Any link to making the ALC883 5.1 audio and Chameleon 2 RC2 or RC3's boot0 and boot1h work with Snow Leopard? Any alternative boot0 and boot1h (my alternative for the boot is the PC EFI 10.4.1 and 10.5)? Thanks in advance. Gbu.

hı sliter once sorry my englısh

here is my dsdt file and my grafic card's dsdt file and your alc883 add2 file can you merge those file to 1 dsdt.aml file please help me

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=57cf778...04e75f6e8ebb871

Mate, I went to have a look at the files but there where not any listed.

Also, you may want to take a look at this "http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=149128&hl=" I found that my PIN configuration was quite different to Slither's, along with some other details. This guide will give you at least the PIN configuration and then is just a matter of getting the DSDT injection correct.

Rowan.

Questions

1. I tried the DSDT fix and the kexts, I have assertions though. But I get audio while in the OS. Anyway to stop assertions completely if my board isn't a GA-965P-SE?

2. My sound from the built in speakers cuts out every like 30secs and I have to change output devices to get it back.

3. Auto-switch from internal speakers to headset possible?

4. Is it possible to have 5.1 Sound through just the headphones port? I had it working in Windows fine so it shouldn't be impossible (unless the OS itself has limitations)?

@ Parwo.

Got the Behringer UCA222 and it works well, although I only have Logitech Z680 so I don't have a direct option only Dolby Movie/Music. It seems to be working with 5.1 though.

@ Thread

I have a new hardware/software issue. I have a Broadcom bluetooth module and it is detected and works with headphones but when I try and connect the Apple Wireless Keyboard it either pairs but doesn't work or fails to pair and says "the possible the MAC/bluetooth combination is unsupported".

Has anyone got the Apple Wireless (Bluetooth) Keyboard (Aluminium) working in Snow Leopard?

Other than that its is working sweet and I'm loving OSX compaired to windows.

Regards,

Rowan le Clercq

Hi. So any external USB audio interface like the Behringer UCA222 will work with the 965P chipset but not the built-in audio which has the ALC883 chipset? Or there are only a few external USB audio interface that'll work. What would these brands and models be? Thanks in advance.

Gbu,

Alvin

Hi. So any external USB audio interface like the Behringer UCA222 will work with the 965P chipset but not the built-in audio which has the ALC883 chipset? Or there are only a few external USB audio interface that'll work. What would these brands and models be? Thanks in advance.

Gbu,

Alvin

Yeah, just check that the USB unit is MAC compatable but they should be good, just make sure your USB is injected into the DSDT otherwise you may get them unloading over sleep.

I had to fix up my DSDT abit.

The 883 works, kinda. Slither has got his working but not complete compatability.

Yeah, just check that the USB unit is MAC compatable but they should be good, just make sure your USB is injected into the DSDT otherwise you may get them unloading over sleep.

I had to fix up my DSDT abit.

The 883 works, kinda. Slither has got his working but not complete compatability.

Was the behringer working under snow leopard? I read on their support forum that because of usb compatibility issues their usb products would not be supported under 64-bit operating systems...

"

The complicated architecture of 64-bit operating systems does not support the generic USB driver available in BEHRINGER products. Consequently, none of our products function with 64-bit operating systems, including all 64-bit versions of Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7. The exception is products that can be connected directly to the computer with a MIDI cable in place of a USB cable.

Please do not submit support requests about 64-bit drivers. The technical support team does not have any information about the future availability of 64-bit drivers.

If 64-bit drivers for our products do become available, this fact will be announced prominently on our website."

I'm desperately looking for a cheap addon to get full 5.1 audio working through optical out...

I had the firewave but either I got a dud or its just not jiving with my system properly...

The Behringer uca222 or 202 look great...I'd order one in a heartbeat if I knew I could easily get full 5.1 out...Any info?

Thanks so much for your help!

Was the behringer working under snow leopard? I read on their support forum that because of usb compatibility issues their usb products would not be supported under 64-bit operating systems...

"

The complicated architecture of 64-bit operating systems does not support the generic USB driver available in BEHRINGER products. Consequently, none of our products function with 64-bit operating systems, including all 64-bit versions of Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7. The exception is products that can be connected directly to the computer with a MIDI cable in place of a USB cable.

Please do not submit support requests about 64-bit drivers. The technical support team does not have any information about the future availability of 64-bit drivers.

If 64-bit drivers for our products do become available, this fact will be announced prominently on our website."

I'm desperately looking for a cheap addon to get full 5.1 audio working through optical out...

I had the firewave but either I got a dud or its just not jiving with my system properly...

The Behringer uca222 or 202 look great...I'd order one in a heartbeat if I knew I could easily get full 5.1 out...Any info?

Thanks so much for your help!

I am using Snow Leopard 64bit and Windows 7 64bit Ultimate on another drive and both operating systems seem to be working optical and headphone (have not tested to other outputs/inputs) without issue. Plug and Play. I use the optical output into Logitech Z680 speakers, they sounds like they are playing 5.1 from DVDs but there is not passthrough option on the speakers so it could be the speaker decoding.

Either way, I have rebooted, slept, and changed sound sources a number of time since getting the Behringer USB device without problem.

Rowan

I use the optical output into Logitech Z680 speakers, they sounds like they are playing 5.1 from DVDs but there is not passthrough option on the speakers so it could be the speaker decoding.

Not quite sure what you mean here...I'm sure due to my ignorance.

No passthrough on the speakers means what exactly?

Also have you tried using a test file like the one found here:

http://www.lynnemusic.com/surround.html

You should be able to hear each speaker with the test file (only about 500kb) pronounce itself to see if you're really getting 5.1 or am I missing something?

Not quite sure what you mean here...I'm sure due to my ignorance.

No passthrough on the speakers means what exactly?

Also have you tried using a test file like the one found here:

http://www.lynnemusic.com/surround.html

You should be able to hear each speaker with the test file (only about 500kb) pronounce itself to see if you're really getting 5.1 or am I missing something?

Yeah, tested the file all the speakers work but the speakers have a control centre (volume and setting normally done by an amp) and so it processes the sound and mixes up the channels in attempt to "improve" listening experience. Heres a description of how each speaker behaves

Center = Plays center channel dolby only

Front Left = Front Left Channel Full volume, Rear Left Channel reduced volume

Rear Left = Rear Left Channel Full volume, Front Left channel reduced volume

etc.

What I was saying was it appears to be working and the issue if the speakers I am using are not 'truly' 5.1 but cannot confirm absolutely.

Hi,

I'm using GA-965P-DS3 - which I think it's quite similar to GA-965P-S3. I uses Slither2008's Kext Pack (thanks!). Everything is working fine, but I have one thing that still bothers me.

screenshotw.gif

I uses Slither2008's smbios.plist without any modification. It seems like the information is not injected properly. For example, the serial number shows MacPro, while this value is set in SMfamily.

I've tried so many ways, including reinstall OSX itself. Nothing seems to fix this one, and I still don't know what causes this. Please help!

ALC883 32bit/64bit Audio Solution Found!

BlackCH beat me to it already. He's created a patched LegacyHDA Kexts specifically for Snow Leopard ALC883. Why reinvent the wheel.

Features :

4 Outputs / 2 Inputs

• 2 Line Outs Rear (Black)(Green) working - Tested Working
  • Mic In Rear (Pink)- Tested Working
  • Lin In Rear (Blue)
  • Headphone Out Front (Green) - Tested Working
  • Digital Out - Not Tested (Most likely working)

By using this audio solution you can leave your Snow Leopard AppleHDA kext untouched/vanilla/original.

Thank you very much BlackCH. This tromps all over the VoodooHDA.

Installation Instructions

Step 1. Download the BlackH's kext pack here and extract the 3 kext files into your /Extra/Extensions folder.

Step 2. Download the attached DSDT.aml and place it in /Extra/DSDT.aml (This includes the CMOS error fix)

Step 3. Get the latest Kext Utility and put it on the desktop.

Step 4. Drag your /Extra/Extensions folder to the desktop.

Step 5. Drag the Extensions folder on your desktop directly onto the Kext Utility Icon.

Step 6. Kext Utility will open and start to correct permissions and generate you an Extensions.mkext

Step 7. You'll now see a new file called "Extensions.mkext" on the desktop. Drag both the Extensions folder and the Extensions.mkext FROM the desktop to your /Extra folder. Authenticate the action when prompted and replace.

Step 8. Reboot.

Step 9. Check for sound assertions(you never know...) by booting with the -v flag.

Step 10. Test your sound in Snow Leopard.

What Now?

• I still really miss having 5.1 surround so I'll try to swap the Digital Output with one of the other 2 Line Outputs.
  • I noticed the popping sound when sound is initialized. I'll try to find out if a miniscule delay has to be set for those outputs.

Hi. Have you fixed the 5.1? Did you have to use the Midi Setup (it crashes when it's launched). Thanks in advance. Gbu.

Hi. I can't switch the Option and Command key like I used to with 10.5.8 Leopard. What's the solution for this. It's better if the Command is on the right position as if it's a certified Apple keyboards (which has the Command right beside the space bar). Thanks in advance. Gbu.

ALC883 32bit/64bit Audio Solution Found!

BlackCH beat me to it already. He's created a patched LegacyHDA Kexts specifically for Snow Leopard ALC883. Why reinvent the wheel.

Features :

4 Outputs / 2 Inputs

• 2 Line Outs Rear (Black)(Green) working - Tested Working
  • Mic In Rear (Pink)- Tested Working
  • Lin In Rear (Blue)
  • Headphone Out Front (Green) - Tested Working
  • Digital Out - Not Tested (Most likely working)

By using this audio solution you can leave your Snow Leopard AppleHDA kext untouched/vanilla/original.

Thank you very much BlackCH. This tromps all over the VoodooHDA.

Installation Instructions

Step 1. Download the BlackH's kext pack here and extract the 3 kext files into your /Extra/Extensions folder.

Step 2. Download the attached DSDT.aml and place it in /Extra/DSDT.aml (This includes the CMOS error fix)

Step 3. Get the latest Kext Utility and put it on the desktop.

Step 4. Drag your /Extra/Extensions folder to the desktop.

Step 5. Drag the Extensions folder on your desktop directly onto the Kext Utility Icon.

Step 6. Kext Utility will open and start to correct permissions and generate you an Extensions.mkext

Step 7. You'll now see a new file called "Extensions.mkext" on the desktop. Drag both the Extensions folder and the Extensions.mkext FROM the desktop to your /Extra folder. Authenticate the action when prompted and replace.

Step 8. Reboot.

Step 9. Check for sound assertions(you never know...) by booting with the -v flag.

Step 10. Test your sound in Snow Leopard.

What Now?

• I still really miss having 5.1 surround so I'll try to swap the Digital Output with one of the other 2 Line Outputs.
  • I noticed the popping sound when sound is initialized. I'll try to find out if a miniscule delay has to be set for those outputs.

Hi. I tried it on a GA-965P-DS3 revision 1.0 which I believe is not different from the S3 only it uses solid capacitors but it doesn't seem to work. There's still no sound. System Profiler- Audio (Built In) seems to identify the sound hardware as:

Device ID: 0x1458A002

Audio ID: 12

Available Devices:

Headphone:

Connection: 1/8-Inch Jack

Internal Microphone:

Connection: Internal

Speaker:

Line In:

Line Out:

Digital Out:

CD:

Help needed (sound and sleep are the only ones that's not working in my rig (I'm using the 4970 1GB Palit). Thanks in advance. Gbu.