Snow Leopard works in GA-965P-S3

moarfish

332 posts in this topic

Oh great now I cant even boot into my usb. At first everything seemed ok. It could boot thru usb. Then something went wrong.

Expose was extremely laggy. And my ethernet couldnt be detected. Then I realised I didnt switched on the plug. Then I went to turn it on and got my wifi working on my macbook. But the system preferences on my hackintosh could detect ethernet. But when I click connect it just stayed there and jammed.

So I shut down the computer and now I cant even boot into my usb. Tried reformating the thumbdrive and it still the same. It gets stuck when in bios the part when it shows

/

boot

boot

I'm not quite sure what happened exactly but when ever I can't start the Chameleon bootloader I just reinstall it using another PC/Mac.

Regards,

Steve.

I realised my harddisk that I installed snow leopard was corrupted. I think it was trying to detect ethernet and I went to shut it down.

When unplugged, I could thru Chameleon bootloader. When plugged, bios get stucked.

For now I'll install windows 7 back into the partition and then try hackintosh again.

Kext pack for GA-945P-S3 (v10.6.0-1)

Just thought I'd post the Extra's folder that I'm running with.

Download Link : here

-LAN (Patched IONetworkingFamily)

-Audio (Analogue 7.1ch) ALC888 64/32-bit (/E/E/LegacyHDA kexts)

-Sleep (HPET + SleepEnabler kext)

-USB UHCI Fix

-CMOS Fix

-RTC Fix

The version of this kextpack shows you what version of OS X it is designed to run on.

I'll whip up a v10.6.2 tonight.

Regards,

Steve.

Hi Rowan,

Are you still having issues with Optical Out on your F14 of the GA-965P-S3 mobo? Can you post your dsdt and I'll see if I can help patch it for.

Regards,

Steve.

Steve,

Thanks, I am currently using the DSDT from the 2.1 Kext Pack as I lost my custom one when I had issues with SL and EFI partition, still getting used to the fact that OSX and lost my backup :(.

I have exams over the next month so won't get to rewriting a customer DSDT file until Christmas. I extracted a raw copy of the DSDT from the F14 bios file and fixed the HPET, RTC and USB sections. I tried to make my own HDEF section based on yours as it would seem that the PIN Configurations are different when I got the CODEC from linux but without success, the best I could get was from yours.

I am however using a Berhinger UAC-220 USB device which has optical output, works great. Like I said I will attempt to rewrite the DSDT to get onboard Optical working in December.

Bro wad did you mean by GraphicEnabler=yes option? Wad did you do? My expose is pretty laggy for me

Add GraphicEnabler option into the Boot.plist file, it is a feature of some of the bootloaders. Not sure which ones exactly but I'm using PC EFI 10.5. The option adds the video without the need for EFI strings or DSDT modifictions, thank to the programmer who write this stuff are making it all possible for us.

Rowan.

Kext pack for GA-945P-S3 (v10.6.0-1)

Just thought I'd post the Extra's folder that I'm running with.

Download Link : here

-LAN (Patched IONetworkingFamily)

-Audio (Analogue 7.1ch) ALC888 64/32-bit (/E/E/LegacyHDA kexts)

-Sleep (HPET + SleepEnabler kext)

-USB UHCI Fix

-CMOS Fix

-RTC Fix

The version of this kextpack shows you what version of OS X it is designed to run on.

I'll whip up a v10.6.2 tonight.

Regards,

Steve.

Hi Rowan,

Are you still having issues with Optical Out on your F14 of the GA-965P-S3 mobo? Can you post your dsdt and I'll see if I can help patch it for.

Regards,

Steve.

Steve,

I couldn't stay away!

The attached DSDT is the one I compiled from the F14 bios file and applied the HPET, CMOS, RTC, EHCI fix and added the DGTP and HDEF section.

I'm using the patched audio KEXTs from your pack on the EFI partition so the SL install is clean. I am also using GraphicsEnabler in the boot.plist for the video card (7900GS so I'm stuck at 10.6.1 until I can get another video card).

My audio system profile looks like:

Intel High Definition Audio:

Device ID: 0x1458A002

Audio ID: 883

Available Devices:

Speaker:

Connection: 1/8-Inch Jack (AZAL Headphone Mobo Header - Front)

Line Out:

Connection: 1/8-Inch Jack (Rear Panel Black)

Line Out:

Connection: 1/8-Inch Jack (Rear Panel Orange)

Line Out:

Connection: 1/8-Inch Jack (Rear Panel Blue)

Internal Microphone:

Connection: Internal (Not Tested no MIC, in Pref Pane)

External Microphone:

Connection: 1/8-Inch Jack (Not in Sound Pref pane)

Line In:

Connection: 1/8-Inch Jack (Not Tested no MIC, in Pref Pane)

Headphone:

S/P-DIF Out:

Connection: RCA (Not in Sound Pref pane)

The BOLD it the plug that they are connected to in case its different to yours. I have set the aggregate device and that works, its only Optical, SPDIF, and the two devices not listed that are not working.

My PIN Configuration was different to the Pin Configuration used by MasterChief in his 883, this could be an issue since the System Profiler shows the device it seems like the problem could be in the KEXT not picking up the unlisted devices?

Another question on the side is if the names of the output/input devices can be changed to reflect the Port Colour?

Regards,

Rowan

Steve,

I couldn't stay away!

The attached DSDT is the one I compiled from the F14 bios file and applied the HPET, CMOS, RTC, EHCI fix and added the DGTP and HDEF section.

I'm using the patched audio KEXTs from your pack on the EFI partition so the SL install is clean. I am also using GraphicsEnabler in the boot.plist for the video card (7900GS so I'm stuck at 10.6.1 until I can get another video card).

My audio system profile looks like:

Intel High Definition Audio:

Device ID: 0x1458A002

Audio ID: 883

Available Devices:

Speaker:

Connection: 1/8-Inch Jack (AZAL Headphone Mobo Header - Front)

Line Out:

Connection: 1/8-Inch Jack (Rear Panel Black)

Line Out:

Connection: 1/8-Inch Jack (Rear Panel Orange)

Line Out:

Connection: 1/8-Inch Jack (Rear Panel Blue)

Internal Microphone:

Connection: Internal (Not Tested no MIC, in Pref Pane)

External Microphone:

Line In:

Connection: 1/8-Inch Jack (Not Tested no MIC, in Pref Pane)

Headphone:

S/P-DIF Out:

Connection: RCA (Not in Sound Pref pane)

The BOLD it the plug that they are connected to in case its different to yours. I have set the aggregate device and that works, its only Optical, SPDIF, and the two devices not listed that are not working.

My PIN Configuration was different to the Pin Configuration used by MasterChief in his 883, this could be an issue since the System Profiler shows the device it seems like the problem could be in the KEXT not picking up the unlisted devices?

Another question on the side is if the names of the output/input devices can be changed to reflect the Port Colour?

Regards,

Rowan

Hi Rowan,

I'll see what I can do to help you get it sorted. The dsdt patch I applied in regards to HDEF is really just a generic one size fit's all. It's mainly to assist the AppleHDA.kext match itself with the Audio Codec on the mobo, which is why the pin configs aren't listed in there.

I couldn't see the attached DSDT file but I should be able to whip up a customized Optical, SPDIF legacy kext for you. Gimme a day or two and I'll hope to have something ready for the weekend for you.

I have noticed on a occasion that in Garage Bands changing synthesized instruments too quickly between several causes the audio to {censored} itself. The workaround is to open the system settings->sound and reselect the output.

Regards,

Steve.

dsdt_test.dsl.zip

Hi Rowan,

I'll see what I can do to help you get it sorted. The dsdt patch I applied in regards to HDEF is really just a generic one size fit's all. It's mainly to assist the AppleHDA.kext match itself with the Audio Codec on the mobo, which is why the pin configs aren't listed in there.

I couldn't see the attached DSDT file but I should be able to whip up a customized Optical, SPDIF legacy kext for you. Gimme a day or two and I'll hope to have something ready for the weekend for you.

I have noticed on a occasion that in Garage Bands changing synthesized instruments too quickly between several causes the audio to {censored} itself. The workaround is to open the system settings->sound and reselect the output.

Regards,

Steve.

Oops, forgot to attach.

dsdt_test.dsl.zip

Thank you moarfish and slither to help me getting my 10.6 installation on my ga965p ds3 v3.3 and working 100% !

Actually it works way better then my previous 10.5.8 installation with kalyway!

What i find strange is that i cannot see that quartz extreme and ci are enabled under my system profile... but actually it works !

Now i can nicely play with my Snow Leopard

Thank you moarfish and slither to help me getting my 10.6 installation on my ga965p ds3 v3.3 and working 100% !

Actually it works way better then my previous 10.5.8 installation with kalyway!

What i find strange is that i cannot see that quartz extreme and ci are enabled under my system profile... but actually it works !

Now i can nicely play with my Snow Leopard

Happy to contribute in your success.

I noticed the same also about qe/ci. To see if it's enabled I check that my apple menu bar is transparent and that the DVD player app doesn't throw any errors.

To compare the opengl performance I use a basic app called Xbench and just run the graphics related benchmarks each time I tinker with the graphics.

Thanks for the tip, will look with xbench for performance :(

Now i got my first issue yet ! Plugged in my usb harddisk WD Mybook 1GB and the system hung ! then i tried restarting with usb harddisk installed, also Hang when within Snow leopard.

This harddisk i normally use together with my airport extreme and then it works flawless, but i wanted to try a direct connection for faster file transfer.

If i try a usb stick or my navigation system i got no problems with the same USB slot.

What could this be ?

Maybe you guys could guide me to the light ;)

USB Harddisk Problem solved !

I am currently using a dsdt file from the ga965p ds4 motherboard, cause this is the only file which enabled my soundcard for my ga965p ds3 v3.3

As i was sticking my usb harddisk in the two front slots of my machine this gave a crash, now using the 4 back usb slots everything works flawless.

This is quite strange , cause my usb stick , navigation system and memory card reader are working from the front slots...

Well maybe it has something to do with the pins or usb 2.0 compatibility !?

Anyway, for the people who got this problem use the back slots :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

I was having the issues mentioned by Slither with the Networking family Kext but since updating to Chameleon RC4 the problem seems to have been fixed. Now everything is working: USB, Sleep, Restart Digital Out, Lan, WiFi. Only problem is that my 7900 Died and I only have $50 to get a replacement card and the GT 220 doesn't work in OSX.

I have tried to solutions posted but can't seem to get them to work. I can force 1440x900 but no acceleration, which means no full screen video. Looks like I will have to upgrade to a GTX 275 (my brother has one and it worked OOB with "Graphics Enabler" option.

Looking good, huge thanks to all the people who are doing the hard work for us and the guys on this forum working on getting the 965P-S3 working.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

I downloaded the kext pack for 10.6.1 haven't had a chance to try it out yet but can't wait.

My Atom hackintosh system does ok, but now that I've upgraded my gaming system to a MSI DKA790GX and a AMD Phenom II 940 Black Edition CPU that means I can now use my GA-965P-S3 motherboard and my Core 2 Duo E6400 CPU chip to build a kick ass hackintosh system.

wanted to say thank you to everyone for posting their kexts and DSDT files. looking forward to doing the build.

only thing I lack is a SATA hard drive and a SATA Optical Drive. I may rebuild my atom hackintosh and switch it back to running with PATA drives so I can use those parts to help make sure that I don't run into any issues.

will post my results when I get the chance.

GA-965P-S3 Kext Pack v2.1 (NOT COMPATIBLE WITH OS X 10.6.2+)

*other content removed for brevity*

Just pitching in my experience so far. I have the exact same board, with the F13 bios too. This kext pack and DSDT works fine with my fresh install of 10.6.2, so long as the Disabler.kext and the SleepEnabler.kext are removed. Netkas has released a new SleepEnabler.kext for 10.6.2, which works fine for me so far. I'm using Chameleon RC4, fwiw. I get a bit of a pop when the audio initializes, but it's all good. I only have a stereo speaker setup (I'm a music-only kinda guy - NAD 7020e amp and Paradigm Atom speakers), so I can't comment on Digital or 7.1 or anything. Also, no assertions!

The only thing that doesn't work as well as I'd hope is my GeForce 8600GT 256mb card. It only works on VGA, with a DVI-VGA adapter on the DVI plug. The Chameleon graphics enabler didn't work, but EFI string did. Xbench scores aren't too hot though; OpenGL test scored 73.86, but that's better than my Mac Mini!

Either way, everything is about twice as fast than my old Hackintosh (Athlon X2 3800+, 10.5.6 w. voodoo kernel), so I'm not complaining!

hye all..i have a problem..

im trying to install retail SL 10.6.0..and i got KP..i dont have idea..what is it..

can someone help me?i already done the step from this topic and others...and im using char RC2 efi10.3..

here is the screenshot..

newbie here..

image329a.th.jpg

thx..

Wanted to advise that I was successfully able to get my GA-965P-S3 up and running using the info from this thread. I wrote up a guide for it and posted it on my blog which I have listed in my profile, won't post it here as the mods tend to remove posts when you do that. ;)

Also wanted to note that I went ahead and did the install using PATA Optical drive (set to slave) and a PATA IDE drive (set to master)

running great.

I downloaded the kext pack for 10.6.1 haven't had a chance to try it out yet but can't wait.

My Atom hackintosh system does ok, but now that I've upgraded my gaming system to a MSI DKA790GX and a AMD Phenom II 940 Black Edition CPU that means I can now use my GA-965P-S3 motherboard and my Core 2 Duo E6400 CPU chip to build a kick ass hackintosh system.

wanted to say thank you to everyone for posting their kexts and DSDT files. looking forward to doing the build.

only thing I lack is a SATA hard drive and a SATA Optical Drive. I may rebuild my atom hackintosh and switch it back to running with PATA drives so I can use those parts to help make sure that I don't run into any issues.

will post my results when I get the chance.

Hi Guys,

Firstly thanks for all the help in getting my setup working on my GA-965P-DS3. I will outline some of the steps I took to get this working for those coming across this thread as I did..

Also I need a little help with final stuff which I keep failing at!

Here's my setup:

CPU: Core2Extreme Q8650

RAM: 4GB 800Mhz

Disk: 200GB SATA

Mobo: GA-965P-DS3 (rev.12)

GFX: Gefore 8800 GTS 640MB

DVD: IDE Liteon x16 DVD We-writer

Steps:

1) Bought a Retail 10.6 DVD.

2) Installed osx86 onto vmware (for formatting Disk Utility purposes and downloading files onto USB)

3) Went through the install process from Life Hacker - How to Build a Hackintosh etc.

4) The previous guide seemed to get me half way there although I had no kexts (drivers and other enabling features for my motherboard and attached devices) installed which worked for my system.

5) Found this forum thread :(

6) Installed the kexts from kext pack 1 & 2, alternatively. These on their own didn't work as

a ) the sound didn't work as my board GA-965P-DS3 (rev.12) has an ALC888 sound chip, NOT ALC883! and

b ) no grapics acceleration

This being because the kexts are for the GA-965P-S3 (S3 not DS3)

7) Step 6 always resulted in KP (Kernel Panic) of some sort when I installed chameleon (any version RC1-4) ranging from Network to CPU to CMOS or power management.

8) Went through 3 & 6 many times... with varying degrees of success. OK so this method wasn't working.

I think I should point out at this step I haven't been able to work out

• what DSDT patching is or how it works and also
  • What the difference is between putting files in /Extra/Extensions or in /System/Library/Extensions (I have seen people refer to these two as E/E and S/L/E).

9) Forgot about trying to boot any working configuration from the OSX partition with Chameleon and instead tried to get a working configuration booting from the USB install HDD.

10) I found this thread on getting ALC888 100% working. This worked for me as the sound chip, as stated previously is ALC888 not 883.

a ) download kexts from the link in the ALC888 100% working thread and keep them on a USB stick.

b ) download kexts from Kextpack 2 in this thread and keep them on USB stick.

11) Head over to the kexts directory and download NVEnabler for 10.6 x64, keep on USB stick.

12) Format target HDD and start again, installing Snow Leopard.

13) Installation is finished, now install Sound kext saved in 10 a, by dragging onto the kext utility which you should place, along with the files on the desktop.

14) Repair permissions using Disk Utility on your Snow Leopard install drive. Reboot.

15) Install the following kexts from kextpack 2.1 (in this thread) by Slither.

• AHCIPortInjector.kext
  • AppleRTC.kext
  • ATAPortInjector.kext
  • Disabler.kext
  • fakesmc.kext
  • IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext
  • IONetworkingFamily.kext
  • NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
  • SleepEnabler.kext
  • OpenHaltRestart.kext
  • PlatformUUID.kext

The networking kext does not always pick up the network device when you do all these together at once, if this happens for you then do it seperately, first.

16) Repair permissions using Disk Utility on your Snow Leopard install drive. Reboot.

17) Finally to get the graphics acceleration use the NVEnabler64.kext from step 11, put it on the desktop and drag onto the kext utility.

18) Repair permissions using Disk Utility on your Snow Leopard install drive. Reboot.

OK this is as far as I have got.

Sound working, graphics working. Booting from the USB Stick still.

What I need to know is, in order for Chameleon to boot from the Snow Leopard install drive how do I use the bootloader with the results from the steps above?

The kexts I am using are working, where are they and how do I use them with the bootloader?!?

Hopefully this could be a quick win :) Thanks for any help.

JP.

Hmmm.... Bit of a problem now. I put my compy to sleep, which was working normally as per my previous post, and it didn't sleep. Rebooted, and the boot process now hangs at the initial fsck_hfs. After many fresh reinstalls onto a spare drive, it turns out the problem is the Lan.

SL 10.6.0, 10.6.1, and 10.6.2 all boot fine if my Lan is disabled in the bios. They all boot fine with Lan enabled in the bios with the modified IONetworkingFamily.kext removed. With the kext installed in E/E, it hangs at fsck_hfs, and with the kext installed in S/L/E, it hangs at NVDANV50HAL.

I tried rolling my own kext (editing the plist in AppleYukon2.kext), and that didn't seem to help.

Any ideas? It worked before...

That would be greatly appreciated please.

I have a two question please.

In your BIOS Settings under "Integrated Peripherals"

What have you got for the following :

SATA RAID/AHCI Mode : [ENABLED or DISABLED]

OnBoard SATA/IDE Device : [ENABLED or DISABLED]

OnBoard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode : [iDE or AHCI or RAID/IDE]

Also which sata port have you got your Snow HDD connected to on your mobo please.

The ports names are :

Intel ICH8 Chipset

SATAII 0

SATAII 1

SATAII 2

SATAII 3

JMicron Chipset

GSATAII 0

GSATAII 1

I've attached a picture of the GA-965P-S3 mobo to save you opening your case to check.

SATA-S3.png

Would you be able to upload all the kext's you're using atm please? :)

i have ds3 rev 3,3...look like this.

i connected my hdds with both jmicron chipset to boot and install leopard.it works...when i try to boot and install snowleopard...it failed..

is the problem come from the chipset?im using same hdd for L and SL..

thx

Hmmm.... Bit of a problem now. I put my compy to sleep, which was working normally as per my previous post, and it didn't sleep. Rebooted, and the boot process now hangs at the initial fsck_hfs. After many fresh reinstalls onto a spare drive, it turns out the problem is the Lan.

SL 10.6.0, 10.6.1, and 10.6.2 all boot fine if my Lan is disabled in the bios. They all boot fine with Lan enabled in the bios with the modified IONetworkingFamily.kext removed. With the kext installed in E/E, it hangs at fsck_hfs, and with the kext installed in S/L/E, it hangs at NVDANV50HAL.

I tried rolling my own kext (editing the plist in AppleYukon2.kext), and that didn't seem to help.

Any ideas? It worked before...

Oddly enough, it started working again. After many re-attempts to install SL on a spare drive, I gave up and started installing Leopard instead. Network functioned properly there, first try. Rebooted into Snow Leopard, and it worked again!

Weird how it stopped working for more than a day, even with half a dozen clean installs and resetting the bios, and Leopard makes it work...

*edit*

I got the JMicron ATA working in 10.6.2 with the kext here.

Was there somewhere I recall that updating to 10.6.2 will break stuff, namely Nvida GeForce 7900s? I am using the 10.6.1 kextpack and DSDT here and all is well, but since the GeForce is really the only system aspect that is a variable with the DS3, just wondering if anyone knows for a fact if bumping up to 10.6.2 is gonna bust my system all up.

Thanks.