Snow Leopard works in GA-965P-S3

moarfish

332 posts in this topic

Thanks Steve,

I should just leave it alone then until further progress. By the way, i asked earlier about using ccc or super duper to clone my Snow to an external HDD. I couldn't boot into the cloned HDD even though i installed chameleon bootloader into it. Is there a way to clone with your method of installation?

Thank you.

It's not something I've tried to do before, but I'll give it a shot.

Regards,

Steve.

I'm now working on the problem of iPhone tethering.

I found that the iPhone tethering no longer works in my Snow Leopard install. When I plugin my iphone, it shows an error message as attached.

Everything works for iTunes and iPhoto but only the tethering function is not working. When I check the Network in System Preference, it do not have iPhone as network adaptor.

I am sure it is not the problem on my iPhone side as it still works in my MSI WIND U100 Leopard install.

Please let me know if anyone facing the same problem. I will report my solution if I solve it.

Another task I am working on is to install Chameleon RC3 on my SL drive. I think it won't be a difficult task thu

post-60377-1252402656_thumb.png

Whoops, I missed that line on the second screenshot. Thanks for the correction Sabr. This appears to be an issue with the IONetworking kext, although you also have a problem loading the AppleHDAController on screenshot 1.

Regards,

Slither2008.

No worries. But I must say, the line you're referring to: "Not loading kext com.apple.drive.AppleHDAContoller - not found and kextd not available in early boot" isn't a big deal. I think it's because the LegacyHDA kexts in /E/E have loaded before AppleHDA.kext and therefore it cannot be found. I too get this 'error' twice when booting, but my ALC883 works perfectly fine (despite the popping sound upon driver initialisation).

- Sabr.

Thanks Steve,

How do you backup your Snow if i may ask?

Thank you.

Hi Terence,

I haven't had time to figure that one out yet. I have 400gb of data I have to cull through to fit onto my 300gb snow drive. As soon as I do that I'm going to wipe my 500gb drive and see if Time machine will work.

I've confirmed that I also have noticed 2 bad things. The IONetworking in my kext pack is definitely no good in 32bit mode. Moarfish's is the one to use. Secondly Sound assertions appear in 32-bit mode. The sound still works great in 32-bit mode though. 64-bt mode works flawless and I haven't figured out why yet. I'll update with a new kext pack shortly.

Regards,

Slither.

No worries. But I must say, the line you're referring to: "Not loading kext com.apple.drive.AppleHDAContoller - not found and kextd not available in early boot" isn't a big deal. I think it's because the LegacyHDA kexts in /E/E have loaded before AppleHDA.kext and therefore it cannot be found. I too get this 'error' twice when booting, but my ALC883 works perfectly fine (despite the popping sound upon driver initialisation).

- Sabr.

I get 3 distinct popping sounds when the driver initializes do you get them also?

I'm now working on the problem of iPhone tethering.

I found that the iPhone tethering no longer works in my Snow Leopard install. When I plugin my iphone, it shows an error message as attached.

Everything works for iTunes and iPhoto but only the tethering function is not working. When I check the Network in System Preference, it do not have iPhone as network adaptor.

I am sure it is not the problem on my iPhone side as it still works in my MSI WIND U100 Leopard install.

Please let me know if anyone facing the same problem. I will report my solution if I solve it.

Another task I am working on is to install Chameleon RC3 on my SL drive. I think it won't be a difficult task thu

Nice work I was thinking of giving RC3 a shot today as well.

[update] I installed RC3 and it booted up fine. I have however noticed that the sound assertions are now present in 64-bit but the sound still works fine.

I get 3 distinct popping sounds when the driver initializes do you get them also?

No, I just get one 'pop' around the time when the screen is blue, right before it loads into the desktop.

Edit: I doubt it makes a difference, but I'm running the 965P-DS3 - if I remember correctly, the only difference is that mine uses solid-state capacitors...

@Slither2008

Are there errors like that "Sound assertion "0 != result" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-171.1.2/AppleHDA/AppleHDAWidget.cpp" at line 3206 goto handler" in your system.log or kernel.log in 32-bit?

OK. I have complete the research on the iPhone tethering matter.

Here it is:

10.6 32bit : both USB and Bluetooth tethering works

10.6 64bit : only Bluetooth tethering works.

Why causing that? It is because snow leopard have no 64bit USB Ethernet support yet. It was what is shown in the console and boot in to 32bit and works prove this finding.

At the moment, we can do nothing on it as it is the problem of Snow Leopard not hackintosh problem. We will have to keep using bluetooth tethering or switch to 32bit mode by booting -x32

Thank you

I also get 3 distinct popping sounds.

Quote from Steve's earlier post on page 2 "Tmongkol was right, setting the SMproductname to MacPro3,1 fixed the popping noise from the sound card".

Mine didn't have any pop sounds. Works perfectly. Using Steve's legacy kext.

Now still waiting for -32 fix for IOnetworking kext.

Thank you.

- Sabr.

Hi Sabr,

My alc883 works fine too despite having that line when booting, albeit no popping sound.

Thank you.

@Slither2008

Are there errors like that "Sound assertion "0 != result" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-171.1.2/AppleHDA/AppleHDAWidget.cpp" at line 3206 goto handler" in your system.log or kernel.log in 32-bit?

Hi Farx,

Here are my findings :

Using Chameleon RC2 + PC EFi 10.1 in 64-bit mode

- Audio boots with no error messages or sound assertions at all.

- Audio works perfectly.

- 3 distinct popping sounds on first boot but no popping sound afterwards (using proper smbios.plist settings)

Using Chameleon RC2 + PC EFi 10.1 in 32-bit mode

- Audio boots with a dozen or so sound assertions.

- Audio works perfectly.

- 3 distinct popping sounds on first boot but no popping sound afterwards (using proper smbios.plist settings)

Using Chameleon RC3 in 64-bit mode

- Audio works perfectly.

Using Chameleon RC3 in 32-bit mode

- Audio works perfectly.

OK. I have complete the research on the iPhone tethering matter.

Here it is:

10.6 32bit : both USB and Bluetooth tethering works

10.6 64bit : only Bluetooth tethering works.

Why causing that? It is because snow leopard have no 64bit USB Ethernet support yet. It was what is shown in the console and boot in to 32bit and works prove this finding.

At the moment, we can do nothing on it as it is the problem of Snow Leopard not hackintosh problem. We will have to keep using bluetooth tethering or switch to 32bit mode by booting -x32

Thank you

Thanks for the info. If you have a Jail-broken phone you can use wifi tethering by creating an adhoc wifi connection on your hackintosh and then using a homebrew app called "PDANet" on your iPhone. You'll have to download it through Cydia/Icy but this could be a work around so you can still boot into 64-bit. I found jail-breaking rather unstable so I'll be stuck with BT & USB in 32-bit since I'm jailed-in.

Quote from Steve's earlier post on page 2 "Tmongkol was right, setting the SMproductname to MacPro3,1 fixed the popping noise from the sound card".

Mine didn't have any pop sounds. Works perfectly. Using Steve's legacy kext.

Now still waiting for -32 fix for IOnetworking kext.

Thank you.

Hi Sabr,

My alc883 works fine too despite having that line when booting, albeit no popping sound.

Thank you.

Hi Terence,

I recommend you use the IONetworkingFamily.kext Moarfish provided us on page 1 of this thread. It works both in 32-bit & 64-bit modes.

Hi Farx,

Here are my findings :

Using Chameleon RC2 + PC EFi 10.1 in 64-bit mode

- Audio boots with no error messages or sound assertions at all.

- Audio works perfectly.

Using Chameleon RC2 + PC EFi 10.1 in 32-bit mode

- Audio works perfectly.

Using Chameleon RC3 in 64-bit mode

- Audio works perfectly.

Using Chameleon RC3 in 32-bit mode

- Audio works perfectly.

Thanks for the info. If you have a Jail-broken phone you can use wifi tethering by creating an adhoc wifi connection on your hackintosh and then using a homebrew app called "PDANet" on your iPhone. You'll have to download it through Cydia/Icy but this could be a work around so you can still boot into 64-bit. I found jail-breaking rather unstable so I'll be stuck with BT & USB in 32-bit since I'm jailed-in.

Hi Terence,

I recommend you use the IONetworkingFamily.kext Moarfish provided us on page 1 of this thread. It works both in 32-bit & 64-bit modes.

Hi Steve,

Followed your advice and used moarfish IONetworkingFamily.kext found on page 1. Managed to boot into 32 mode.

Network works as well, only to found out that audio is not working?!? I'm using Chameleon 2 RC1. Boot using -v -x32 flags.

Any ideas?

P.S. I didn't experience any pops and what is sound assertion by the way?

Thank you.

Hi Steve,

Followed your advice and used moarfish IONetworkingFamily.kext found on page 1. Managed to boot into 32 mode.

Network works as well, only to found out that audio is not working?!? I'm using Chameleon 2 RC1. Boot using -v -x32 flags.

Any ideas?

P.S. I didn't experience any pops and what is sound assertion by the way?

Thank you.

Can you chuck up your system logs or take a screenshot (or two) when you boot up in 32bit.

I'm no guru when it comes to the proper definitions in Intel HDA world but a simple way of thinking of it is : First the hardware is detcted by the OS, then the driver matches itself with that hardware device but the relationship between the hardware and driver sometimes aren't correctly configured or the hardware may not correctly support some of the features the driver is requesting from it.

The sound assertions are basic logs of errors the driver is producing when unexpected results occur. They aren't much use to us unless they have keyword variables that are specific or relate to terms used by the Intel HDA...that sometimes gives us an idea of what may be causing the assertion...other than that they're mostly ambiguous. The fact they mention the line of code which is the throwing the error is like a slap in the face to us hackintoshers considering the driver isn't opensource. But hey, Apple's gotta make money somehow right? lol.

I'm sure someone will have a better definition than this. There's much more useful info than I can give in the Intel HDA Specification Document if you're curious.

Regards,

Can you chuck up your system logs or take a screenshot (or two) when you boot up in 32bit.

I'm no guru when it comes to the proper definitions in Intel HDA world but a simple way of thinking of it is : First the hardware is detcted by the OS, then the driver matches itself with that hardware device but the relationship between the hardware and driver sometimes aren't correctly configured or the hardware may not correctly support some of the features the driver is requesting from it.

The sound assertions are basic logs of errors the driver is producing when unexpected results occur. They aren't much use to us unless they have keyword variables that are specific or relate to terms used by the Intel HDA...that sometimes gives us an idea of what may be causing the assertion...other than that they're mostly ambiguous. The fact they mention the line of code which is the throwing the error is like a slap in the face to us hackintoshers considering the driver isn't opensource. But hey, Apple's gotta make money somehow right? lol.

I'm sure someone will have a better definition than this. There's much more useful info than I can give in the Intel HDA Specification Document if you're curious.

Regards,

Hi Steve,

Seems too technical for me, anyways, i will try to take some screenshots when booting in 32 bit.

Would you recommend using Chameleon RC3 or stick with RC1 for now?

Thank you.

Hi Steve,

Seems too technical for me, anyways, i will try to take some screenshots when booting in 32 bit.

Would you recommend using Chameleon RC3 or stick with RC1 for now?

Thank you.

I found RC3 quite easy to install using Dr.Hurt's package. It didn't overwrite anything I had in the /Extra's folder. I haven't seen anything other than the sound assertions in both 64&32bit so I can't see any harm in making the switch. Your choice really, I think using this will simplify the install process for newcomers.

I found RC3 quite easy to install using Dr.Hurt's package. It didn't overwrite anything I had in the /Extra's folder. I haven't seen anything other than the sound assertions in both 64&32bit so I can't see any harm in making the switch. Your choice really, I think using this will simplify the install process for newcomers.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your advise. I'll subscribe to "if it ain't broken, don't fix it" theory for now, so sticking with RC1.

Meanwhile, i'll default boot to x64 for working copy of Snow as x-32 gives me no audio.

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Terence

Hi Steve,

Couldn't resist the RC3 and decided to use it. It boots fine, except with the audio assertions you mentioned earlier.

However, i noticed the systems is recognized as 32 bit EFI(RC3) instead of 64 bit EFI(RC1). The kernel remains at 64 bit though. Any thoughts or anything i should be concerned about?

Thank you.

Hi Steve,

Couldn't resist the RC3 and decided to use it. It boots fine, except with the audio assertions you mentioned earlier.

However, i noticed the systems is recognized as 32 bit EFI(RC3) instead of 64 bit EFI(RC1). The kernel remains at 64 bit though. Any thoughts or anything i should be concerned about?

Thank you.

try this at boot on RC3:

-v arch=i386

I got some time today to migrate over to Snow Leopard. I noticed 10.6.1 is out now so I'll see how the update goes.

I have upgraded to 10.6.1.

So simple, just run software update.

Nothing to modify.

May be run a permission repair if you wish.

You're absolutely right! I've been culling through all my {censored} on Leopard and still have about 100gb to go but I decided to test out the kext pack on a fresh installation of Snow Leopard.

*I got my USB 80GBHDD and formatted GUID Partition, Mac OS Extended Journaled.

*Ran the OSInstall.mpkg and deselected Printers/Languages.

*When that finished I Installed Chameleon 2.0 RC3 using Dr. Hurt's install package.

*I then dragged and dropped my Extra folder into the root of the USB drive.

*I also made sure I removed the Extensions.mkext from the /Extra folder since I don't think it's needed anymore.

*Rebooted and had GFX,LAN,AUDIO working in OS X 10.6 straight off the bat.

*Boot time was a little slow due to it being on a USB hdd.

*I then ran through the Welcome wizard and then reinstalled BSD.pkg and then imediately updated to 10.6.1.

*Rebooted and I now I'm making this post.

This Rocks!!!!

try this at boot on RC3:

-v arch=i386

I got some time today to migrate over to Snow Leopard. I noticed 10.6.1 is out now so I'll see how the update goes.

Hi Steve,

That command would make me boot into 32 bit kernel. What i was asking is how is it RC3 detects my system as 32bit EFI whereas RC1 detects it as 64 bit EFI. Perhaps it is something to do with RC3 being 32bit EFI? I was hoping to boot using 64bit EFI instead.

Thank you.

Hi Steve,

That command would make me boot into 32 bit kernel. What i was asking is how is it RC3 detects my system as 32bit EFI whereas RC1 detects it as 64 bit EFI. Perhaps it is something to do with RC3 being 32bit EFI? I was hoping to boot using 64bit EFI instead.

Thank you.

You could try and enable HPET 64bit in the BIOS. It's a hidden option you have to use Shift+F2 to reveal the extra settings.

You could try and enable HPET 64bit in the BIOS. It's a hidden option you have to use Shift+F2 to reveal the extra settings.

Hi Steve,

HPET 64 bit was already enabled. It was detected earlier as 64 bit EFI in Chameleon RC1. Somehow RC3 detects it as 32 bit EFI.

Any thoughts?

Thank you.