Dell XPS 1340 under OSX 10.6, including boot-132 install cd

bcc9

1,149 posts in this topic

is there a 64bit version of voodoopower.kext available? I was trying to boot in 64bit mode but the battery icon disappeared. By booting in verbose mode, I noticed neither voodoopower.kext nor voodoobattery.kext seems to be loaded. Any idea or suggestion? Thank you very much in advance :-)

For newbies, there is now an easier way to install without burning any discs. Just google for "myhack installer RC3" and grab bcc9's boot132 image. Extract preboot.dmg from iso and grab the /Extra folder along with DSDT.aml, smbios.plist, com.apple.Boot.plist. These are the necessary files for you to boot snow leopard off USB stick. First, you need a working Leopard installation to format USB stick to HFS+ and restore the retail dvd image to it. Then you should run the myhack installer(essentially chameleon RC3 + PCEFI10.3 + modified OSXinstall.mpkg for MBR disk) to install to the volume containg the retail installation files. ATTENTION: NOT YOUR CURRENT LEOPARD INSTALLTION VOLUME!!!!! Now you can open the usb stick and add the kexts from bcc9's boot132 CD. Remember to fix the permission on the USB stick.

Now boot it off the USB stick and enjoy your fully personalized retail installation for your Studio XPS 1340.

Once done, boot the installation using the USB stick and install bootloader (Chameleon RC3 + pcefi 10.3 to your snow leopard volume and add any necessary kexts to /Extra along with DSDT.aml, smbios.plist, com.apple.Boot.plist, etc

Repair permission and update kext cache. You are done.

is there a 64bit version of voodoopower.kext available?

As far as I know there still isn't a 64bit voodoopower, and superhai isn't planning one. You asked this last month, and my answer is again: "was hoping superhai would have updated it with the outstanding super LFM p-state problem addressed, and also there's problems with the 32 bit assembly code working."

Looks to me like voodoopower is being replaced with voodoopstate at this point for anyone who wants to tweak P-states. And I've found that the cpu throttles with the 64 bit kernel running without any voodoo kexts if I have SMproductname set to certain values in smbios.plist. For example MacBook5,1. The throttling doesn't seem to work as well after resume from suspend however, and it's not clear whether optimal voltages are being achieved. I wish cpu-x or cpu-i would reliably report the voltages - I get inconsistent results from them.

I was trying to boot in 64bit mode but the battery icon disappeared. By booting in verbose mode, I noticed neither voodoopower.kext nor voodoobattery.kext seems to be loaded. Any idea or suggestion?
Well you don't need voodoopower for working battery status. Voodoobattery was recently updated to 64 bit and I updated post #1 to reflect that a few weeks ago.
For newbies, there is now an easier way to install without burning any discs. Just google for "myhack installer RC3" and grab bcc9's boot132 image.

I don't know where this advice is coming from but certainly my boot cd is just one of many ways you can do the install. I did previously document how to install via usb without burning any disks (as have many others) so any claims that this is a new thing are pretty disingenuous.

Looks to me like voodoopower is being replaced with voodoopstate at this point for anyone who wants to tweak P-states. And I've found that the cpu throttles with the 64 bit kernel running without any voodoo kexts if I have SMproductname set to certain values in smbios.plist. For example MacBook5,1. The throttling doesn't seem to work as well after resume from suspend however, and it's not clear whether optimal voltages are being achieved. I wish cpu-x or cpu-i would reliably report the voltages - I get inconsistent results from them.

How exactly did you achieve cpu throttling with voodoopstate? Are we using the stock AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement.kext along with voodoopstate? Please elaborate more on that. Also you mention setting specific values in smbios.plist in SMproductname. What exact value did you use for partially working cpu

throttling?

Well you don't need voodoopower for working battery status. Voodoobattery was recently updated to 64 bit and I updated post #1 to reflect that a few weeks ago.

Oops, my bad. Thanks for the tip. Now I've got working battery status with 64bit voodoopower.kext from superhai.

I don't know where this advice is coming from but certainly my boot cd is just one of many ways you can do the install. I did previously document how to install via usb without burning any disks (as have many others) so any claims that this is a new thing are pretty disingenuous.

I read this somewhere else and elaborate on it using the stuff you posted. Just want to help newbies start in the right direction and I apologized for not giving credit to you and many others. :-)

How exactly did you achieve cpu throttling with voodoopstate? Are we using the stock AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement.kext along with voodoopstate? Please elaborate more on that. Also you mention setting specific values in smbios.plist in SMproductname. What exact value did you use for partially working cpu

throttling?

I didn't use voodoopstate. With the vanilla AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement, and the system booted in 64 bit mode, and SMproductname set as per my last post the system varies the cpu multipliers dynamically per the p-state info in bios. This system generates dynamic SSDT tables that contain the processor specific p-state information so I don't think hacking p-states in the dsdt should be necessary like a lot of other people are doing.

I read this somewhere else and elaborate on it using the stuff you posted. Just want to help newbies start in the right direction and I apologized for not giving credit to you and many others. :-)

Ok. Perhaps there is something I need to clarify...

I didn't use voodoopstate. With the vanilla AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement, and the system booted in 64 bit mode, and SMproductname set as per my last post the system varies the cpu multipliers dynamically per the p-state info in bios. This system generates dynamic SSDT tables that contain the processor specific p-state information so I don't think hacking p-states in the dsdt should be necessary like a lot of other people are doing.

so all I need to do is to set SMProductName to MacBook5,1 and use the stock AppleIntelCpuManagement.kext? I will give it a shot. Thanks for your help :-)

First,thanks for getting all these elements of the 1340 working.

I would like to install osx next to my existing windows vista installation. What is the best way of doing this? I like the boot-132 disk, but does this make it impossible to click on the OSInstall.mpkg making it impossible to use a MBR partitioned disk?

First,thanks for getting all these elements of the 1340 working.

I would like to install osx next to my existing windows vista installation. What is the best way of doing this? I like the boot-132 disk, but does this make it impossible to click on the OSInstall.mpkg making it impossible to use a MBR partitioned disk?

Yes, with boot132 it's running the main installer not OSInstall.mpkg, so you won't have MBR as an option.

You can normally convert an MBR partitioned disk to GPT using gdisk. If you can handle that, it'd be simplest.

First I'd like to thank bcc9 for making this excellent thread which helped me get snow leopard installed on my Studio XPS 1340. I really appreciate it!

I've managed to get almost everything done except get the proper mouse gestures. I installed the voodoops2 controllers but I still can't use any gestures like scrolling etc. Please help!

Sorry for the double post but my sleep mode is also not working properly. I think I managed to install the acpi patch but my lappy just freezes when i put it in sleep and i need to hold the power button to switch it off and bring it back to life. Can you give me step by step instructions on how to do it please?

First I'd like to thank bcc9 for making this excellent thread which helped me get snow leopard installed on my Studio XPS 1340. I really appreciate it!
Thanks.
I've managed to get almost everything done except get the proper mouse gestures. I installed the voodoops2 controllers but I still can't use any gestures like scrolling etc. Please help!
With my voodoops2 kext, some touchpad gestures work out of the box. But they don't seem to work very well. For example 2 finger scrolling works about 1 in 5 swipes. Maybe someone who cares can fiddle with the sensitivity settings under system preferences->trackpad and post what works best for this machine's touchpad.

Regarding settings, my kext doesn't include the synaptics preference pane found in the voodoops2controller-0.98-installer.pkg. However that package installs the old 32-bit only kexts so it's out of date and overdue for an update. I've made a new package, attached that will only install the preference pane portion of that package. Voodoops2_trackpad.zip

This will give you additional config options under system preferences->VoodooPS2

Sorry for the double post but my sleep mode is also not working properly. I think I managed to install the acpi patch but my lappy just freezes when i put it in sleep and i need to hold the power button to switch it off and bring it back to life. Can you give me step by step instructions on how to do it please?
Well, the step by step is in post #1. Sounds like you didn't get the dsdt loaded right. Double check that (and the other steps in post #1).

Hi thanks for the reply. I'll try out the new kext for the mouse in the morning. in the mean while can you please explain how am I supposed to install the dsdt properly cause I'm new to hackintosh. I used ktxext nstall helper to install your stuff and I put the dsdt in /root and it seems to be alright...

Another weird bug i just found is that I'm not able to boot into osx after 1-2am. It's strange. It's been like this for the past few days. I'm able to boot up fine in the morning. I have a dual boot setup with Win7 Ultimate

Hi thanks for the reply. I'll try out the new kext for the mouse in the morning. in the mean while can you please explain how am I supposed to install the dsdt properly cause I'm new to hackintosh. I used ktxext nstall helper to install your stuff and I put the dsdt in /root and it seems to be alright...
The package contains a system preferences application not a kext.

To install the dsdt just follow the instructions in post #1, including the installation of a dsdt-aware bootloader such as chameleon.

Another weird bug i just found is that I'm not able to boot into osx after 1-2am. It's strange. It's been like this for the past few days. I'm able to boot up fine in the morning. I have a dual boot setup with Win7 Ultimate
I have no idea, that makes no sense to me.

I recommend that all kext additions you make be installed in /Extra/Extensions. As I add or make changes to /Extra/Extensions, I use the following commands to keep its cache up to date
rm -f /Extra/Extensions.mkext /Extra/Caches
         kextcache -m /Extra/Extensions.mkext /Extra/Extensions

Isn't this missing the -z option? If not, how do you get around the packages not being signed?

I still can't seem to figure out the bare minimums to get keyboard, touchpad, battery icon, sound and power working correctly without having the preboot.dmg, extensions.mkext, and also the extensions folder with all the kexts in the mkext in it. if i leave out one, i lose something. its frustrating me. once i figure it out, i can create an autoloader to do it all and also a nice video tutorial to do this.

also, no go on the SDHC kext. Still looking for one that works. There should be a way to get it to work since the Dell Mini 9 has a working SD reader. I might have to go look at the kext from that and see what I can do to mod it for ours. Anyone know what the reader in laptop is?

I am not sure if its just with me..

but has anyone noticed regular clicking sounds from the hard disk ??

I hear no such sounds when I am in Fedora 11 or Win Vista ( I have a triple boot :D )

Also, if anyone has it , is there any way to fix it ??

I have installed 10.6 on MBR hard disk using modified mpkg and created a USB boot from Chameleon 2 RC3 .

I am not if its just with me..

but has anyone noticed regular clicking sounds from the hard disk ??

I hear no such sounds when I am in Fedora 11 or Win Vista ( I have a triple boot :D )

Also, if anyone has it , is there any way to fix it ??

I have installed 10.6 on MBR hard disk using modified mpkg and created a USB boot from Chameleon 2 RC3 .

i have been trying for several days to make 132 boot disk can someone help me or point me in the the right direction. google has not been alot of help cant find a good guide.

i have been trying for several days to make 132 boot disk can someone help me or point me in the the right direction. google has not been alot of help cant find a good guide.

To make the bootable UDB, I used this guide http://www.insanelymac.com/2009/04/how-to-...ameleon-20-rc1/

Then once the USB was made bootable , I copied the contents of the Extra folder from Bcc9's boot cd to the Extra folder on the USB.

But anyone ... any info on the hdd clicking noise issue please ??

To make the bootable UDB, I used this guide http://www.insanelymac.com/2009/04/how-to-...ameleon-20-rc1/

Then once the USB was made bootable , I copied the contents of the Extra folder from Bcc9's boot cd to the Extra folder on the USB.

the link is not working it just sends me to the home page only

Just unzip the .iso file I made and burn it to a cd-r or cd-rw. Assuming your 1340 has windows running on it you should be able to just click on the .iso file and burn it using the built-in cd drive. Personally I used imgburn instead of the bundled burning software but either should work.

I don't see how things could get much easier than that. Everyone with this laptop has a cd drive; not everyone has a usb thumb drive.

My SSD drive makes no noise. But my external drives aren't clicking in any regular way...

Does your disk activity light flash in correspondence to whatever clicking noise you hear?

OSX spins up & down disks more often than other OSes I wonder if you're hearing spinup/down noises.

The package contains a system preferences application not a kext.

To install the dsdt just follow the instructions in post #1, including the installation of a dsdt-aware bootloader such as chameleon.

I have no idea, that makes no sense to me.

I installed chameleon and my DSDT.aml is loading at startup( I know cause the 9400m is being recognized) It's only not recovering from sleep mode. I think its a problem with how I installed the acpi patch. I ran it several times but it kept giving permission denied messages.

OSX goes into kernel panic at night around those times when I boot. I really don't know why it happens at that particular time at night. I'll note down the error the next time.....

Ok I actually watched the startup this time, well I've watched it before too but this time i thought i would post it, it seems like the AppleHDA is getting loaded to early in the startup process. I see it tries to load but get a message stating its too early in the boot process. Is there someway to control what gets loaded when?`

Specific message: Not loading kext com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController - not found and kextd not available in early boot.

the link is not working it just sends me to the home page only

I m sorry, I think posting external links is maybe disabled!! Try replacing insanelymac in the link with i h a c k i n t o s h

Just unzip the .iso file I made and burn it to a cd-r or cd-rw. Assuming your 1340 has windows running on it you should be able to just click on the .iso file and burn it using the built-in cd drive. Personally I used imgburn instead of the bundled burning software but either should work.

I don't see how things could get much easier than that. Everyone with this laptop has a cd drive; not everyone has a usb thumb drive.

My SSD drive makes no noise. But my external drives aren't clicking in any regular way...

Does your disk activity light flash in correspondence to whatever clicking noise you hear?

OSX spins up & down disks more often than other OSes I wonder if you're hearing spinup/down noises.

Yes, I think its the spin up/down click. Sometimes its about once every 5-8 seconds. I am concerned because I had read somewhere that frequent spin ups/down is bad for HDD health. Is there any way to fix this ? I have tried disabling the " put hard disk to sleep" option in Energy Saver prefs, doesnt help.

Yes, I think its the spin up/down click. Sometimes its about once every 5-8 seconds. I am concerned because I had read somewhere that frequent spin ups/down is bad for HDD health.
With external disks, I haven't heard them spinning up&down more often than once per minute. I think you have some other problem.
I have tried disabling the " put hard disk to sleep" option in Energy Saver prefs, doesnt help.
You could run pmset directly, tho the granularity for disk sleep is in minutes.

Yes, with boot132 it's running the main installer not OSInstall.mpkg, so you won't have MBR as an option.

You can normally convert an MBR partitioned disk to GPT using gdisk. If you can handle that, it'd be simplest.

Update: Turns out there is a simple patch to allow MBR based installs via boot132 to work under 10.6. The old OSInstall.mpkg patch doesn't work when you boot off of a boot132 disk, but there is now a tiny patch to the OSInstall binary itself which accomplishes the same thing. Diamondsw posted the patched version here

Replace the version in /Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Frameworks/OSInstall.framework/Versions/A/OSInstall (on your snow leopard dvd or usb/flash based install drive).

I just tried it and it worked for me.