VMware Mac OS X Guest Package for ESX, Workstation, Player, Server and Fusion

2,213 posts in this topic

Is it possible to install Snow Leopard into VMware Workstation 7?

I'm running Windows 7 x64 as my host operating system...

Absolutely, that is what this topic is all about, you do need VM Worksation 7, a retail copy of SL either DVD or .iso, although I had better results with the original DVD. Also you need the darwin-200 zip, and at least the snowy darwin zip, you can use the darwin-wks7 as this resolves some issues with keyboard support.

The manual is included in the .zip file, but basically unzip the darwin-200 and then update the darwin.iso from either of the other two zips. Install the darwin200 drivers using setup.cmd install. Create you VM as a FreeBSD or FreeBSD-64, boot it once then amend the .vmx file as per the manual, couple of pointers below:

guestOS = "darwin10-64" or guestOS = "darwin10"

ich7m.present = "TRUE"

smc.present = "FALSE"

keyboard.vusb.enable = "TRUE" you may need to set this to "FALSE" if you are having keyboard issues

mouse.vusb.enable = "TRUE" you may need to set this to "FALSE" if you are having mouse issues

monitor.virtual_exec = "hardware"

monitor.virtual_mmu = "software"

These are the main changes or additions required to make SL work in VM Workstation 7, and SL is only officially supported in Fusion 3, and unofficially Player 3 and Workstation 7, same code base.

Good luck, but you should not need it as this is now a pretty well troden path.

The tool iso signatures were replaced. You will have to go through the process and re-install them.

What site? Are you replying to me with this email about "manuel"?

Donk,

Been away for a couple of days, so not able to pick up the slack, but back now.

Cheers,

Mac SofK

Yes. That's the first thing I tried when I got the error message.

No luck though.

Right thanks for the update. Unfortunately right at the moment I cannot get access to the ESXi box this was tested on due network problems. Once I do I will see what the issue is, but of course VMware may have disabled support.

Hi guys,

Hope someone can help - I'm getting an error about drivers for ACPI along with the CPU has been disabled error popping up. Using an Intel Q9300 (which is VT-x enabled). It is also enabled in the BIOS.

Using Workstation 7 on Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit (log file was when I was using XP Pro SP3 - same error when trying on Win7 tho but I can generate another log file if that will help).

The error I get is attached below along with my VMX file & log file.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

ultimz

Mac_OSX_SL.zip

post-522449-1258991508_thumb.jpg

Hi guys,

Hope someone can help - I'm getting an error about drivers for ACPI along with the CPU has been disabled error popping up. Using an Intel Q9300 (which is VT-x enabled). It is also enabled in the BIOS.

Using Workstation 7 on Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit (log file was when I was using XP Pro SP3 - same error when trying on Win7 tho but I can generate another log file if that will help).

The error I get is attached below along with my VMX file & log file.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

ultimz

New one for me. Can you edit VMX file:

1. Change guestos from darwin10 to darwin10-64

2. Delete the disable_acceleration entry

New one for me. Can you edit VMX file:

1. Change guestos from darwin10 to darwin10-64

2. Delete the disable_acceleration entry

As Donk says all looks OK apart from the couple of entries, I am running a very similar config, i.e. Workstation 7, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit. I have attached my .vmx just in case it helps!

Right thanks for the update. Unfortunately right at the moment I cannot get access to the ESXi box this was tested on due network problems. Once I do I will see what the issue is, but of course VMware may have disabled support.

I have access to an ESXi box will have a look at the new update and the impact on OS X, and report back!

As Donk says all looks OK apart from the couple of entries, I am running a very similar config, i.e. Workstation 7, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit. I have attached my .vmx just in case it helps!

I have access to an ESXi box will have a look at the new update and the impact on OS X, and report back!

P.S. I know it may be too late, but it may be worth uninstalling the darwin-200 package before using update 1, for anyone who has not tried the update yet!!

OS_X_Snow_Leopard.zip

I'm trying to install Snow Leopard on VMWare Workstation 7 under Windows 7 x64.

I've followed the manual, but when I try to install from an .iso I've made from a retail .dmg the DVD boots, I get the Apple logo with the activity indicator, then the screen goes a slate grey and just hangs. If I click into the VM the cursor changes to the pinwheel of death.

I booted with the -v option on, and didn't see anything of note. I attached my .vmx and and log files.

Did I set something wrong? Is my disk image corrupted? I converted the dmg to iso using UltraISO, which reported a successful conversion.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: I just realized that I had it set for 2 processors of 1 core, when in fact I have 1 processor with 2 cores (Core2duo T8100).

Changing this to the correct settings did not fix the issue.

vmx_and_log.zip

I've followed the manual, but when I try to install from an .iso I've made from a retail .dmg the DVD boots, I get the Apple logo with the activity indicator, then the screen goes a slate grey and just hangs. If I click into the VM the cursor changes to the pinwheel of death.

I booted with the -v option on, and didn't see anything of note. I attached my .vmx and and log files.

Did I set something wrong? Is my disk image corrupted? I converted the dmg to iso using UltraISO, which reported a successful conversion.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: I just realized that I had it set for 2 processors of 1 core, when in fact I have 1 processor with 2 cores (Core2duo T8100).

The log shows that there was no bootable CD or HD found. Which means the conversion does not work. However I have good news for everyone. I was looking at what the internals of VMware Workstation 7 does, and it can actually now mount DMG files as virtual CD/DVD. No need for conversion! So set the CD drive to point to the DMG file, and see if it now boots.

Note I have checked this out and works for me.

Thanks in advance!

I had similar problems, if you have the original retail DVD try that instead, and be patient, it sits at the grey screen for a while.

The log shows that there was no bootable CD or HD found. Which means the conversion does not work. However I have good news for everyone. I was looking at what the internals of VMware Workstation 7 does, and it can actually now mount DMG files as virtual CD/DVD. No need for conversion! So set the CD drive to point to the DMG file, and see if it now boots.

Note I have checked this out and works for me.

Donk,

Good news on the .dmg front, will give it a try, as I had all sorts of problems with the .iso, and ended up just using the original DVD.

I had a bunch of problems creating a dmg on my system. What are you doing to create the dmg file? I have an original DVD to base it on.

As far as I know you need a MAC or a VM OS X to be able to get the .dmg file off an original DVD, a windows PC can only see the Boot Camp partition on a OS X retail DVD. Although I have yet to try and mount the .dmg, I extracted using a VM OS X, as before Donk's revelation about .dmg mounting I was converting the .dmg to an .iso, and never got that to work. But the original retail OS X DVD worked fine.

As far as I know you need a MAC or a VM OS X to be able to get the .dmg file off an original DVD, a windows PC can only see the Boot Camp partition on a OS X retail DVD. Although I have yet to try and mount the .dmg, I extracted using a VM OS X, as before Donk's revelation about .dmg mounting I was converting the .dmg to an .iso, and never got that to work. But the original retail OS X DVD worked fine.

Yeah, I decided to give up on the dmg and picked up a copy of Snow Leopard this morning. I'll test it out when I get home after work.

Hey,

About making the .dmg image of Mac OS X retail DVD. Since a lot of people on InsanelyMac are saying that you need to make dmg image on Mac OS (obiously) I couldn't help myself to find out how to do the samo thing on Windows. Guess what? You CAN make image in Windows with brilliant burning software called ImgBurn, yes the extension will be .iso but you can still mount it in any VMware verison. It doesn't matter if windows sees only Boot Camp disk on retail, it really works! Hope it helps save you time ; )

Hey,

About making the .dmg image of Mac OS X retail DVD. Since a lot of people on InsanelyMac are saying that you need to make dmg image on Mac OS (obiously) I couldn't help myself to find out how to do the samo thing on Windows. Guess what? You CAN make image in Windows with brilliant burning software called ImgBurn, yes the extension will be .iso but you can still mount it in any VMware verison. It doesn't matter if windows sees only Boot Camp disk on retail, it really works! Hope it helps save you time ; )

OK, Thanks for the heads up, I have used ImgBurn in the past, but had forgotten what a good product it was, downloaded the latest version 2.5.0.0. Took me a little time to get ra-aquainted but selected "Create image file from disc" select source as your DVD drive then it will create an .iso image of your retail OS X DVD, it tries to call it Boot Camp but it is 7.8 GB, so trust me it is not only Boot Camp, so rename accordingly, select where you want the .iso saviing and hit the green triangle.

As some of you may know I have had no luck creating an OS X installation from a .iso image, even though I know my OS X DVD's are original retail's, paid Apple my hard earned cash!

So you can imagine how pleased (feel free to replace "pleased" with my real reaction, sensitive people turn away, or be offended) I was when the .iso created from ImgBurn fired up first time! Oh happy days!! Well first time after having created the VM as a FreeBSD, edited the .vmx, you know the drill by now, but then honest first time.

So thanks to "an1r0n" for the pointer and of course to "Donk" and "Zenith432" for all the other critical components.

OK, while I am on a roll, I am going to fire up ESX under Workstation 7 to have a look at the Update 1 issues, I will also check on my ESXi box. Report back ASAP.

Cheers.

OK, Thanks for the heads up, I have used ImgBurn in the past, but had forgotten what a good product it was, downloaded the latest version 2.5.0.0. Took me a little time to get ra-aquainted but selected "Create image file from disc" select source as your DVD drive then it will create an .iso image of your retail OS X DVD, it tries to call it Boot Camp but it is 7.8 GB, so trust me it is not only Boot Camp, so rename accordingly, select where you want the .iso saviing and hit the green triangle.

As some of you may know I have had no luck creating an OS X installation from a .iso image, even though I know my OS X DVD's are original retail's, paid Apple my hard earned cash!

So you can imagine how pleased (feel free to replace "pleased" with my real reaction, sensitive people turn away, or be offended) I was when the .iso created from ImgBurn fired up first time! Oh happy days!! Well first time after having created the VM as a FreeBSD, edited the .vmx, you know the drill by now, but then honest first time.

So thanks to "an1r0n" for the pointer and of course to "Donk" and "Zenith432" for all the other critical components.

OK, while I am on a roll, I am going to fire up ESX under Workstation 7 to have a look at the Update 1 issues, I will also check on my ESXi box. Report back ASAP.

Cheers.

I'm really happy to help you (and others), mostly because you put a lot of effort and spend precious time on InsanelyMac to help others. Good luck with ESX, let us know how it went !

Cheers!

Cheers.

Please forgive these updates, I guess I should start a new topic, while creating an ESXi instance within Workstation 7 discovered the latest vSphere client 20811 now supports Windows 7 out of the box, so no more XP SP3 system.dll imports etc. So significant progress with update 1 et al, stay posted.

Cheers.

One thing that crossed my mind, can help people who are new in virtualization world. If possible, always have your virtual machines on another hard drive (not partiton) and not on host OS partition. That way you gain a lot performance in VM's. These days hard disks are not that expensive, so extra hard drive can be good investment.

Change default virtual machine path in VMware Worstation:

Go to edit / preferences in VMware Workstation window. Then, on Workspace tab set path to another drive for e.g. " D:\Virtual Machines\ "

: )

One thing that crossed my mind, can help people who are new in virtualization world. If possible, always have your virtual machines on another hard drive (not partiton) and not on host OS partition. That way you gain a lot performance in VM's. These days hard disks are not that expensive, so extra hard drive can be good investment.

Change default virtual machine path in VMware Worstation:

Go to edit / preferences in VMware Workstation window. Then, on Workspace tab set path to another drive for e.g. " D:\Virtual Machines\ "

: )

Good point "an1r0n" we "in the trade" take that for granted, i.e. split I/O across a RAID or on multiple individual spindles, i.e. multiple hard drives. But if you are new to this VM stuff a seperate drive for your VM's away from the O/S is a simple cheap option if performance is required, otherwise most current hardware can offer reasonable performance from a single disk for most single user environments.

Cheers.

P.S. I have started the new topic as threatened, see you on the other side!

VMware and all the Jazz!Cheers,

Mac SofK

thanks donk and all for this excellent thread

i was able to get snow leopard 10.6 installed in wks7 on dell 435mt with i7-920 processor

used darwin-wks7 for vmwaretools with instructions in guide

didnt know it was this simple

i was able to install ilife and iwork 09 and get them working without a problem

does that mean i have qe/ci?

edit -- sorry for jumping into assumptions

iwork and ilife install well but blank screen on keynote slides etc and frontrow

thanks again

thanks donk and all for this excellent thread

i was able to get snow leopard 10.6 installed in wks7 on dell 435mt with i7-920 processor

used darwin-wks7 for vmwaretools with instructions in guide

didnt know it was this simple

i was able to install ilife and iwork 09 and get them working without a problem

does that mean i have qe/ci?

edit -- sorry for jumping into assumptions

iwork and ilife install well but blank screen on keynote slides etc and frontrow

thanks again

Sorry, but no you do not have QE working, it is currently not supported under VMware, even with Zenith432's excellent graphics drivers.

At first: Great work of Zenith432 and Donk to get OS X running under VMware!

With your guides and troubleshooting it's so easy to install Leopard/Snow Leopard (server).

The systems are running quite well under Workstation 7 but I would like solve one (small) issue:

My USB webcam is functionally passed through (Photo Booth shows a picture, whereas Image capture does not recognize the camera)) but iChat crashes reproducible when video is started (also when trying to open video preferences in iChat).

crash report says:

Process: iChat [150]

Path: /Applications/iChat.app/Contents/MacOS/iChat

Identifier: com.apple.iChat

Version: 5.0.1 (743)

Build Info: iChat-7430000~4

Code Type: X86-64 (Native)

Parent Process: launchd [84]

Date/Time: 2009-11-25 10:43:04.536 +0100

OS Version: Mac OS X 10.6.2 (10C540)

Report Version: 6

Interval Since Last Report: 1605 sec

Crashes Since Last Report: 2

Per-App Interval Since Last Report: 146 sec

Per-App Crashes Since Last Report: 2

Anonymous UUID: DEDDC1DA-AC29-4B0E-AC87-0496C75C00A6

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)

Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000000

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Thread 0 Crashed: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

0 com.apple.iChat 0x00000001000e4c07 0x100000000 + 936967

1 com.apple.iChat 0x00000001000e4d9b 0x100000000 + 937371

2 com.apple.iChat 0x00000001000e437d 0x100000000 + 934781

3 com.apple.iChat 0x00000001001763ab 0x100000000 + 1532843

4 com.apple.iChat 0x00000001000d7bf0 0x100000000 + 883696

5 com.apple.iChat 0x00000001000d7512 0x100000000 + 881938

6 com.apple.iChat 0x00000001000e89a2 0x100000000 + 952738

7 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff8776295d -[NSWindowController _windowDidLoad] + 538

8 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff87700113 -[NSWindowController window] + 112

9 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff87913ef9 -[NSWindowController showWindow:] + 47

10 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff8786f09a -[NSApplication sendAction:to:from:] + 95

11 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff87893602 -[NSMenuItem _corePerformAction] + 365

12 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff8789336c -[NSCarbonMenuImpl performActionWithHighlightingForItemAtIndex:] + 121

13 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff87b160b8 -[NSMenu _internalPerformActionForItemAtIndex:] + 35

14 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff879c89d5 -[NSCarbonMenuImpl _carbonCommandProcessEvent:handlerCallRef:] + 136

15 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff87875b60 NSSLMMenuEventHandler + 321

16 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x00007fff86339bd7 DispatchEventToHandlers(EventTargetRec*, OpaqueEventRef*, HandlerCallRec*) + 1002

17 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x00007fff86339126 SendEventToEventTargetInternal(OpaqueEventRef*, OpaqueEventTargetRef*, HandlerCallRec*) + 395

18 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x00007fff86356d49 SendEventToEventTarget + 45

19 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x00007fff86385d45 SendHICommandEvent(unsigned int, HICommand const*, unsigned int, unsigned int, unsigned char, void const*, OpaqueEventTargetRef*, OpaqueEventTargetRef*, OpaqueEventRef**) + 387

20 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x00007fff863b2a1a SendMenuCommandWithContextAndModifiers + 56

21 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x00007fff863b29d4 SendMenuItemSelectedEvent + 101

22 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x00007fff863b28dc FinishMenuSelection(SelectionData*, MenuResult*, MenuResult*) + 150

23 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x00007fff86393cf9 MenuSelectCore(MenuData*, Point, double, unsigned int, OpaqueMenuRef**, unsigned short*) + 453

24 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x00007fff86393461 _HandleMenuSelection2 + 453

25 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff87746b79 _NSHandleCarbonMenuEvent + 236

26 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff8771a6a2 _DPSNextEvent + 1908

27 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff87719b41 -[NSApplication nextEventMatchingMask:untilDate:inMode:dequeue:] + 155

28 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff876df747 -[NSApplication run] + 395

29 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff876d8468 NSApplicationMain + 3

VMmare log says during crash time:

Nov 25 10:42:15.151: mks| USBGW: Write arbitrator op:13 len:16

Nov 25 10:42:31.358: mks| USBGW: Write arbitrator op:13 len:16

Nov 25 10:42:31.359: mks| Setting thread 39 stack size to 1048576.

Nov 25 10:42:31.995: mks| Setting thread 41 stack size to 1048576.

Nov 25 10:42:52.826: vcpu-0| EHCI: setup data size 0 does not match wLength 11

Nov 25 10:42:52.853: vcpu-0| EHCI: setup data size 0 does not match wLength 11

Nov 25 10:42:52.882: vcpu-0| EHCI: setup data size 0 does not match wLength 11

Nov 25 10:42:52.911: vcpu-0| EHCI: setup data size 0 does not match wLength 11

Nov 25 10:42:52.939: vcpu-0| EHCI: setup data size 0 does not match wLength 11

Nov 25 10:42:52.967: vcpu-0| EHCI: setup data size 0 does not match wLength 11

Nov 25 10:43:02.894: vcpu-0| EHCI: setup data size 0 does not match wLength 26

Nov 25 10:43:02.903: vcpu-0| EHCI: setup data size 0 does not match wLength 26

Nov 25 10:43:03.012: vcpu-0| USBGW: Write arbitrator op:10 len:8

Nov 25 10:43:03.497: vcpu-0| Setting thread 42 stack size to 1048576.

Nov 25 10:43:11.742: mks| USBGW: Write arbitrator op:13 len:16

Nov 25 10:43:14.143: mks| Setting thread 39 stack size to 1048576.

Nov 25 10:43:14.151: mks| Setting thread 41 stack size to 1048576.

Nov 25 10:43:14.164: mks| USBGW: Write arbitrator op:13 len:16

Nov 25 10:43:39.540: mks| USBGW: Write arbitrator op:13 len:16

This problem appears under 10.5(.8) and 10.6(.2), no matter if guest tools (and/or Zenith432's graphic driver) are installed or not.

Any ideas?

I’m not sure if it’s a OS X specific or a virtualization problem…

System:

Core2Duo T7250

4 GB RAM

VMware Workstation 7.0.0 build-203739

Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Best regards,

Tom

At first: Great work of Zenith432 and Donk to get OS X running under VMware!

With your guides and troubleshooting it's so easy to install Leopard/Snow Leopard (server).

The systems are running quite well under Workstation 7 but I would like solve one (small) issue:

My USB webcam is functionally passed through (Photo Booth shows a picture, whereas Image capture does not recognize the camera)) but iChat crashes reproducible when video is started (also when trying to open video preferences in iChat).

crash report says:

Process: iChat [150]

Path: /Applications/iChat.app/Contents/MacOS/iChat

Identifier: com.apple.iChat

Version: 5.0.1 (743)

Build Info: iChat-7430000~4

Code Type: X86-64 (Native)

Parent Process: launchd [84]

Date/Time: 2009-11-25 10:43:04.536 +0100

OS Version: Mac OS X 10.6.2 (10C540)

Report Version: 6

Interval Since Last Report: 1605 sec

Crashes Since Last Report: 2

Per-App Interval Since Last Report: 146 sec

Per-App Crashes Since Last Report: 2

Anonymous UUID: DEDDC1DA-AC29-4B0E-AC87-0496C75C00A6

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)

Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000000

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Thread 0 Crashed: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

0 com.apple.iChat 0x00000001000e4c07 0x100000000 + 936967

1 com.apple.iChat 0x00000001000e4d9b 0x100000000 + 937371

2 com.apple.iChat 0x00000001000e437d 0x100000000 + 934781

3 com.apple.iChat 0x00000001001763ab 0x100000000 + 1532843

4 com.apple.iChat 0x00000001000d7bf0 0x100000000 + 883696

5 com.apple.iChat 0x00000001000d7512 0x100000000 + 881938

6 com.apple.iChat 0x00000001000e89a2 0x100000000 + 952738

7 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff8776295d -[NSWindowController _windowDidLoad] + 538

8 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff87700113 -[NSWindowController window] + 112

9 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff87913ef9 -[NSWindowController showWindow:] + 47

10 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff8786f09a -[NSApplication sendAction:to:from:] + 95

11 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff87893602 -[NSMenuItem _corePerformAction] + 365

12 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff8789336c -[NSCarbonMenuImpl performActionWithHighlightingForItemAtIndex:] + 121

13 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff87b160b8 -[NSMenu _internalPerformActionForItemAtIndex:] + 35

14 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff879c89d5 -[NSCarbonMenuImpl _carbonCommandProcessEvent:handlerCallRef:] + 136

15 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff87875b60 NSSLMMenuEventHandler + 321

16 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x00007fff86339bd7 DispatchEventToHandlers(EventTargetRec*, OpaqueEventRef*, HandlerCallRec*) + 1002

17 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x00007fff86339126 SendEventToEventTargetInternal(OpaqueEventRef*, OpaqueEventTargetRef*, HandlerCallRec*) + 395

18 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x00007fff86356d49 SendEventToEventTarget + 45

19 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x00007fff86385d45 SendHICommandEvent(unsigned int, HICommand const*, unsigned int, unsigned int, unsigned char, void const*, OpaqueEventTargetRef*, OpaqueEventTargetRef*, OpaqueEventRef**) + 387

20 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x00007fff863b2a1a SendMenuCommandWithContextAndModifiers + 56

21 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x00007fff863b29d4 SendMenuItemSelectedEvent + 101

22 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x00007fff863b28dc FinishMenuSelection(SelectionData*, MenuResult*, MenuResult*) + 150

23 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x00007fff86393cf9 MenuSelectCore(MenuData*, Point, double, unsigned int, OpaqueMenuRef**, unsigned short*) + 453

24 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x00007fff86393461 _HandleMenuSelection2 + 453

25 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff87746b79 _NSHandleCarbonMenuEvent + 236

26 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff8771a6a2 _DPSNextEvent + 1908

27 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff87719b41 -[NSApplication nextEventMatchingMask:untilDate:inMode:dequeue:] + 155

28 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff876df747 -[NSApplication run] + 395

29 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff876d8468 NSApplicationMain + 3

VMmare log says during crash time:

Nov 25 10:42:15.151: mks| USBGW: Write arbitrator op:13 len:16

Nov 25 10:42:31.358: mks| USBGW: Write arbitrator op:13 len:16

Nov 25 10:42:31.359: mks| Setting thread 39 stack size to 1048576.

Nov 25 10:42:31.995: mks| Setting thread 41 stack size to 1048576.

Nov 25 10:42:52.826: vcpu-0| EHCI: setup data size 0 does not match wLength 11

Nov 25 10:42:52.853: vcpu-0| EHCI: setup data size 0 does not match wLength 11

Nov 25 10:42:52.882: vcpu-0| EHCI: setup data size 0 does not match wLength 11

Nov 25 10:42:52.911: vcpu-0| EHCI: setup data size 0 does not match wLength 11

Nov 25 10:42:52.939: vcpu-0| EHCI: setup data size 0 does not match wLength 11

Nov 25 10:42:52.967: vcpu-0| EHCI: setup data size 0 does not match wLength 11

Nov 25 10:43:02.894: vcpu-0| EHCI: setup data size 0 does not match wLength 26

Nov 25 10:43:02.903: vcpu-0| EHCI: setup data size 0 does not match wLength 26

Nov 25 10:43:03.012: vcpu-0| USBGW: Write arbitrator op:10 len:8

Nov 25 10:43:03.497: vcpu-0| Setting thread 42 stack size to 1048576.

Nov 25 10:43:11.742: mks| USBGW: Write arbitrator op:13 len:16

Nov 25 10:43:14.143: mks| Setting thread 39 stack size to 1048576.

Nov 25 10:43:14.151: mks| Setting thread 41 stack size to 1048576.

Nov 25 10:43:14.164: mks| USBGW: Write arbitrator op:13 len:16

Nov 25 10:43:39.540: mks| USBGW: Write arbitrator op:13 len:16

This problem appears under 10.5(.8) and 10.6(.2), no matter if guest tools (and/or Zenith432's graphic driver) are installed or not.

Any ideas?

I’m not sure if it’s a OS X specific or a virtualization problem…

System:

Core2Duo T7250

4 GB RAM

VMware Workstation 7.0.0 build-203739

Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Best regards,

Tom

Does the webcam need OS X specific drivers, and supported by the vendor on OS X? If so try installing any drivers. Next question is does iChat require QE? If so it won't work as there is no support currently in VMware for it. One other test does a supported OS such as Windows inside VMware allow it to function correctly?

Finally, it is possible to dump loads of debug info from VMware USB code, but need tools and expertise in all things USB (at the wire level) to understand what is going on. If you have that expertise the tool and additional information is available here http://vusb-analyzer.sourceforge.net/. Not for the faint hearted!!!

Does the webcam need OS X specific drivers, and supported by the vendor on OS X? If so try installing any drivers. Next question is does iChat require QE? If so it won't work as there is no support currently in VMware for it. One other test does a supported OS such as Windows inside VMware allow it to function correctly?

Finally, it is possible to dump loads of debug info from VMware USB code, but need tools and expertise in all things USB (at the wire level) to understand what is going on. If you have that expertise the tool and additional information is available here http://vusb-analyzer.sourceforge.net/. Not for the faint hearted!!!

hhm, it seems that it's wether a driver problem nor needs ichat QE. the cam is recognized well by other programs inside of the vm and installing the official driver did not solved the problem. interestingly works ihat with this cam using a different os x vm (preinstalled vmware image from Xelabo, Darwin/x86 boot v5.0.132 - Chameleon v1.0.11) and so QE is not needed.both vm's recognizes the cam in exactly the same way (system profiler).

attaching the cam to my (10.5) vm gives following error in console (system log):

kernel[0]: Vega USB 2.0 Camera.: family specific matching fails

kernel[0]: IOUSBInterface: family specific matching fails

vmware log during attaching the cam:

A USB device is about to be unplugged from the host and connected to this virtual machine. It will first be stopped to enable safe removal. With some devices, the host may display the message "The device can now safely be removed."

Nov 26 22:25:34.360: vmx| ---------------------------------------

Nov 26 22:25:34.363: vmx| USBGW: Write arbitrator op:6 len:37

Nov 26 22:25:35.108: vmx| USBGA: device 20000010ac8c302 arrived

Nov 26 22:25:35.109: vmx| USBG: CONNREQ: Dequeued head request after 841 ms for [name:Z-Star\ USB-Verbundgerät vid:0ac8 pid:c302 path:1/2/1 speed:high family:other]

Nov 26 22:25:35.109: vmx| USB: Adding autoconnect pattern [path:1/2/1 autoclean:1] in slot 0

Nov 26 22:25:35.169: vmx| USB: Device [name:Z-Star\ USB-Verbundgerät vid:0ac8 pid:c302 path:1/2/1 speed:high family:other] should already be connected

Nov 26 22:25:35.169: vmx| VMXVmdbLoadUsbDevices: New set of 2 USB devices

Nov 26 22:25:35.169: vmx| USB: Found device [name:Z-Star\ USB-Verbundgerät vid:0ac8 pid:c302 path:1/2/1 speed:high family:other]

Nov 26 22:25:35.169: vmx| USB: Found device [name:Broadcom\ 2045\ Bluetooth\ 2.0+EDR\ USB\ Device vid:0a5c pid:2101 path:1/5/0 speed:full family:wireless,bluetooth]

Nov 26 22:25:35.285: vcpu-0| USBG warning: can't reset port usbioerr 'NOT_CONFIGURED'

Nov 26 22:25:35.528: vcpu-0| USBGW: Write arbitrator op:10 len:8

Nov 26 22:25:36.934: vmx| USB: Device [name:Z-Star\ USB-Verbundgerät vid:0ac8 pid:c302 path:1/2/1 speed:high family:other] should already be connected

But Photo Booth still can use the cam.

ok, I would say that the story is more difficult (and to specific and so off topic) than expected. and at least I will not die when the cam is not working with ichat.

so don't care guys and keep working on more important things like QE in VMware ;-)