VMware Mac OS X Guest Package for ESX, Workstation, Player, Server and Fusion

2,213 posts in this topic

Thank you very much for this excellent guide. I had trouble at first but then it dawned on me to use the darwin.iso to actually boot the VM and then kick it over to the dvd. I got a retail (legit) Mac OS X 10.6 to do a new hackintosh from scratch but then found this goldmine of a guide. I used VMWare Workstation 7.0.

Here are some things that work fine on my new install that was noted as not working previously.

* Automatic resolution change on window resize started working automatically after reboot of the VM.

* Shared folders work fine without altering the services.sh file. You will get an error that the folder doesn't exist but that only lasts as long as there are no shared folders to pickup on.

* Sound doesn't work out of the box but I understand there is a kext to fix that. I'll live without since I only need it for testing purposes and sound isn't really important to me.

I had done my 10.5 install with VMWare Workstation 6.5.3 and now it crashes on boot so I am going to scratch it. I had issues where it would lockup periodically and I had determined that sleep mode was kicking it. I read something that said to keep the VM from going into sleep mode but is that issue present with 10.6?

EDIT: From a native unmodified install 10.6.2 update installs fine even with VMWare Tools installed.

Under SL in VMWare, Is it possible to activate Quartz Extreme ?

I believe iMovie and some similar applications require QE so i wonder is there a way to enable QE or at least make software to think it has been enabled ?

Thx in advance

Under SL in VMWare, Is it possible to activate Quartz Extreme ?

I believe iMovie and some similar applications require QE so i wonder is there a way to enable QE or at least make software to think it has been enabled ?

Thx in advance

No it isn't possible currently.

Thank you very much for this excellent guide. I had trouble at first but then it dawned on me to use the darwin.iso to actually boot the VM and then kick it over to the dvd. I got a retail (legit) Mac OS X 10.6 to do a new hackintosh from scratch but then found this goldmine of a guide. I used VMWare Workstation 7.0.

Here are some things that work fine on my new install that was noted as not working previously.

* Automatic resolution change on window resize started working automatically after reboot of the VM.

* Shared folders work fine without altering the services.sh file. You will get an error that the folder doesn't exist but that only lasts as long as there are no shared folders to pickup on.

* Sound doesn't work out of the box but I understand there is a kext to fix that. I'll live without since I only need it for testing purposes and sound isn't really important to me.

I had done my 10.5 install with VMWare Workstation 6.5.3 and now it crashes on boot so I am going to scratch it. I had issues where it would lockup periodically and I had determined that sleep mode was kicking it. I read something that said to keep the VM from going into sleep mode but is that issue present with 10.6?

EDIT: From a native unmodified install 10.6.2 update installs fine even with VMWare Tools installed.

Couple of pointers, you need to remove the VM Tools under 6.5 before migrating to 7, and refer to post #641 if you previously modified the "com.apple.Boot.plist." But if you cannot do that or want to do a leopard install from scratch under workstation 7 great, however some of us have had problems with the keyboard, so that nice Mr Donk has updated the snowy darwin.iso with one that contans the PS/2 drivers which resolves the issue darwin-wks7, refer to post #788 for details.

Sleep can still be an issue read my post #797 for disabling sleep mode in SL OS X, or you can use the caffeine application.

Good luck!

Couple of pointers, you need to remove the VM Tools under 6.5 before migrating to 7, and refer to post #641 if you previously modified the "com.apple.Boot.plist." But if you cannot do that or want to do a leopard install from scratch under workstation 7 great, however some of us have had problems with the keyboard, so that nice Mr Donk has updated the snowy darwin.iso with one that contans the PS/2 drivers which resolves the issue darwin-wks7, refer to post #788 for details.

Sleep can still be an issue read my post #797 for disabling sleep mode in SL OS X, or you can use the caffeine application.

Good luck!

Actually I did a clean install of Snow Leopard 10.6 on VMWare Workstation 7 and it worked fine. I disabled the Virtual USB keyboard and mouse since I thought that might of been preventing the boot of the DVD. Note it does take a VERY long time for that DVD to boot for some reason although I was not using an image. I was using a purchased disc straight from Apple. It did load the Voodoo PS/2 driver from the darwin.iso automatically. I also applied the 10.6.2 combo update without issue.

@sofakng -- use the 3rd link that isn't really "linked". You just need to copy/paste the url and that works fine. That is what I used to make it work. Note you won't have sound but once you install the VMWare Tools package you should have everything else.

Does this work for Snow Leopard and VMware Workstation 7?

According to the original post it's only for Leopard (10.5) and VMware Workstation 6.5 but I'm hoping that the OP is outdated...

Sorry sofakng can you clarify your question!

Hi,

As usual in these first posts I'd like to say thanks to all those who contributed to allow this to happen, and I do mean it I'm not just saying it as wrote. I'm after a Vmachine of OSX to use for my own personal training purposes as my parents are now running Macs and I'm on a Vista laptop, so nothing fancy occuring here, just base OS fiddling.

I've had a poke through the thread but with 40 pages I lost track, so sorry if this is lazy of me.

With the Snowy patch I've got SL 10.6 installed in a VM on Player7 but can't get past the boot screen, details are:

• VMWare Player7 - 3.0.0 build-203739
  • Vista x64 Business SP2
  • Intel P9500 with vt-x enabled
  • 10.6 SL Disc, packaged with the new macs but not model specific. ie has the Leopard printed on it, not grey, but not retail packaging.
  • VMX file attached
  • vmware.log file attached

Current Problem: Sits on the grey boot screen with the lovely petals going round in circles, independent of how long I leave it running.

Any ideas ?

Greg

logandvmx.zip

Hi,

As usual in these first posts I'd like to say thanks to all those who contributed to allow this to happen, and I do mean it I'm not just saying it as wrote. I'm after a Vmachine of OSX to use for my own personal training purposes as my parents are now running Macs and I'm on a Vista laptop, so nothing fancy occuring here, just base OS fiddling.

I've had a poke through the thread but with 40 pages I lost track, so sorry if this is lazy of me.

With the Snowy patch I've got SL 10.6 installed in a VM on Player7 but can't get past the boot screen, details are:

• VMWare Player7 - 3.0.0 build-203739
  • Vista x64 Business SP2
  • Intel P9500 with vt-x enabled
  • 10.6 SL Disc, packaged with the new macs but not model specific. ie has the Leopard printed on it, not grey, but not retail packaging.
  • VMX file attached
  • vmware.log file attached

Current Problem: Sits on the grey boot screen with the lovely petals going round in circles, independent of how long I leave it running.

Any ideas ?

Greg

Try changing the following lines to false

keyboard.vusb.enable

mouse.vusb.enable

smc.present

Otherwise it looks fine. I had to disable the mouse since it didn't work. If you are using the link for snow leopard and vmware workstation 7 then it will include the voodoo ps/2 driver automatically so it works fine. Just make sure you give it plenty of time to boot and your patience will be rewarded.

Try changing the following lines to false

keyboard.vusb.enable

mouse.vusb.enable

smc.present

Otherwise it looks fine. I had to disable the mouse since it didn't work. If you are using the link for snow leopard and vmware workstation 7 then it will include the voodoo ps/2 driver automatically so it works fine. Just make sure you give it plenty of time to boot and your patience will be rewarded.

Coolio, cheers Shinji

Got it working with those set to false, now for some testing/training B)

Hey,

I'm trying to get Leopard running on VMWare, but somehow I cannot manage to get past the boot screen (I waited for a long time, i.e. hours).

Here are my system infos, would be wonderful if somehow could help me out with it.

• VMWare Workstation 7
  • Host OS: Ubuntu
  • Host CPU: Pentium Dual Core E6300 2,8GHz
  • Used Distro: Vanilla Leopard
  • Used the darwin-wks7 package
  • VMX file and vmware.log are attached to this post

Cheers,

crisb

FreeBSD.txt

vmware.txt

Superb guide!!!

I have been struggling to install iDeneb in vmware 7.0 with installation success and stand-alone boot failure. But, fortunately I found your guide and got Original Leopard DVD and everything went perfectly well.

Thank you very much!!!

Hey,

I'm trying to get Leopard running on VMWare, but somehow I cannot manage to get past the boot screen (I waited for a long time, i.e. hours).

Here are my system infos, would be wonderful if somehow could help me out with it.

• VMWare Workstation 7
  • Host OS: Ubuntu
  • Host CPU: Pentium Dual Core E6300 2,8GHz
  • Used Distro: Vanilla Leopard
  • Used the darwin-wks7 package
  • VMX file and vmware.log are attached to this post

Cheers,

crisb

Edit VMX file and make it read:

guestos = "darwin10-64"

Edit VMX file and make it read:

guestos = "darwin10-64"

Thanks for taking the time to help me out :-)

Unfortunately it didn't work. I booted up with the -v flag and attached the screenshot. Perhaps this gives some more information.

post-153282-1258897376_thumb.png

Thanks for taking the time to help me out :-)

Unfortunately it didn't work. I booted up with the -v flag and attached the screenshot. Perhaps this gives some more information.

I/O error accessing CD. Damaged DVD or corrupt ISO image.

Installed SL with all the updates on HP Envy 15 (Core i7) with vmware workstation 7. Thanks a lot - great work!!!

When I am trying to install vmware tools - I am getting an error that "Could not find component on update server." Any ideas how can I install this one?

Also the sound is not working - not sure how o look into that one.

So far everything else is fine.

Installed SL with all the updates on HP Envy 15 (Core i7) with vmware workstation 7. Thanks a lot - great work!!!

When I am trying to install vmware tools - I am getting an error that "Could not find component on update server." Any ideas how can I install this one?

Also the sound is not working - not sure how o look into that one.

So far everything else is fine.

1. Mount darwin.iso directly and run tools, not via the menu item to install tools.

2. Look for Zenith432 audio drivers in this forum.

Hi Donk,

How are you doing on SL for ESXi? Any progress? Do you think you can get this to work? If I can help in any way by trying out stuff please ask me ...

Cheers man

Nope not possible. Only Fusion 3, Workstation 7 and Player 3 have the code to run Snow Leopard.

Nope not possible. Only Fusion 3, Workstation 7 and Player 3 have the code to run Snow Leopard.

Thanks for the heads-up.. Is it me or is this kinda weird. Did VMWare made a choice to enable support for OSX in their products then?.. It's not all about hacking and stuff... Why would the code inside Workstation 7 support darwin10.iso as this is clearly not allowed.. Maybe I'm missing the big picture...

Well.. thanks for all your hard work.. I guess I have to wait for an ESXi update that supports darwin10....

Cheers and good luck Donk... I've had a lot of fun trying out all the VMWare combinations....

Thanks for the heads-up.. Is it me or is this kinda weird. Did VMWare made a choice to enable support for OSX in their products then?.. It's not all about hacking and stuff... Why would the code inside Workstation 7 support darwin10.iso as this is clearly not allowed.. Maybe I'm missing the big picture...

Well.. thanks for all your hard work.. I guess I have to wait for an ESXi update that supports darwin10....

Cheers and good luck Donk... I've had a lot of fun trying out all the VMWare combinations....

Just they use the same code base for all their products. Fusion 3 formally supports it, and Workstation 7 and Player 3 are related to the same code base. vSphere 4 is based off the code for Fusion2, Workstation 6.5, Player 2.5 and Server 2.0 (at least at the core VM monitor level). You will need to wait for the next major release probably as ESX core is usually one generation behind latest desktop products.

Well I wanted to try this and did. Thanks for all the post. Thanks for all the time you put in to the "manuel" but I found a site that spelled it out really nice. The manuel kind of left things out.

Oh side note: What your READING is TEXT nothing more.. just TEXT. If you take time to reply to a POST LMAO then just answer. Man your going to get a million more questions.. relax.. if you just cant handle it then dont POST. lol TEXT relax.

I just did ESX 4.0 Update 1 and now my vm of OS X wont start.

I get the error

The guest operating system "darwin64Guest" is not supported.

If anyone finds a work around for this...please post!

Thanks.

The tool iso signatures were replaced. You will have to go through the process and re-install them.