VMware Mac OS X Guest Package for ESX, Workstation, Player, Server and Fusion

2,213 posts in this topic

Update regarding VMware Player 3.

If you have only player then you do not get the VMware tools by default but when you create a guest it askes to down load the tools including the relevant .iso and also creates the .sig file. I downloaded the full set but you may not need them, in VM Player go to File > Preferences > Download All Components Now.

The "setup.cmd install" from the darwin-200.zip, with the darwin.iso updated from the snowy or wks7 zip runs fine and isntalles the darwin.iso and .sig file into the VMware Player directory, just as it would for Workstation.

With the darwin.iso installed you can continue with your install having modified your vmx file.

Also pre-built OS X's will now work, as without the darwin.iso installed, the guest OS X will not boot, the darwin.iso contains the relevant boot loaders for OS X in VMware. You may be able to use Zenith432's method as per Workstation 6.5.3, but have not tried that yet.

Hope this helps?

Sorry mate, still no luck. Changed the setup to SCSI and made sure to use the newly updated snowy darwin iso. Have even gone out and tried the voodoo iso, but to no avail. My last resort was to reburn (the image used was verified to be the retail version, by the way) and use an external DVD drive that has a much stronger lens. Even converted the DMG SL image into ISO and tried to have VMWare read directly off it. Still the same story.

Either DVD never loads or I get EBIOS error. What does it need?

Goose,

If you are running SL and Workstation 7, you should not need the script commands from the manual 4.1.1 as the manual is for L not SL, and shared folders work fine in SL under Workstation 7.

Cheers!

I took my changes back in the shell script (luckily I had commented the original lines out instead of deleting them), and restarted the VM, but unfortunately it still doesn't work. I get the same permissions error, and the root shared folder is still read-only. I tried adding another shared folder, my documents folder in the host, but it is exactly the same behavior.

Any other suggestions, solutions? Thanks.

I'm new, and I'm totally lost. I'm using a HP8530W, and I have Windows XP, with VMWare Player 3.0.0 installed. Is this configuration able to run 10.5 or 10.6? If neither, then which VMware product do I need for which version? Which file should I download? There're 3 in the first post, 200, voodoo, and wks7. Which one is it? :$

From all these, after installation, etc, will I get a full working Mac OS X 10.5 or 10.6 with sound, video, wireless network, etc? :)

Sorry, real noob in hackintosh. Sure hope I can find some help here...

I'm new, and I'm totally lost. I'm using a HP8530W, and I have Windows XP, with VMWare Player 3.0.0 installed. Is this configuration able to run 10.5 or 10.6? If neither, then which VMware product do I need for which version? Which file should I download? There're 3 in the first post, 200, voodoo, and wks7. Which one is it? :$

From all these, after installation, etc, will I get a full working Mac OS X 10.5 or 10.6 with sound, video, wireless network, etc? :(

Sorry, real noob in hackintosh. Sure hope I can find some help here...

sKiZZiT,

I have recently done some testing and VM Player 3 works fine for both Leopard and Snow Leopard, I am thinking you will need to stay with a 32-Bit OS X as you are running XP, need a 64-bit host to run 64-bit VM Guests, I am running Windows 7 64-bit Enterprise.

Ok, first make sure you have VT turned on in the bios on your Notebook Workstation.

Then you will need a retail copy of either Leopard or Snow Leopard, it must be retail and can be the original DVD or an ISO, Donk has been able to mount a DMG as well.

Finally you will need the darwin-200 and wks7 zips, the manual is included in the darwin-200 zip. But be aware the manual is for Leopard not SL, but works fine, but with a couple of changes.

Once you have expanded the darwin-200 zip, overwrite the darwin.iso with the one in the wks7 zip. Then run the "setup.cmd install" from within the darwin-200 directory at a command prompt. This will install the darwin VM tools in to VM Player.

When you create your new VM as a FreeBSD Guest O/S make the hard drive 64GB, and make sure it is thin provisioned, i.e. allocates as required. Interestingly if you create the VM Guest as FreeBSD (32-bit) it creates an IDE hard drive if you select FreeBSD 64-bit it creates the hard disk as SCSI. Problems have been logged using IDE, so if you are creating a FreeBSD (32-bit) delete the hard drive and recreate as SCSI.

Startup your FreeBSD guest once then shutdown, make your changes as per the manual, summary below:

guestOS = "darwin10-64" or "darwin10" for SL or "darwin-64" or "darwin" for Leopard

ich7m.present = "TRUE"

smc.present = "FALSE"

keyboard.vusb.enable = "TRUE" may need to change to "FALSE" if you have issues

mouse.vusb.enable = "TRUE" may need to change to "FALSE" if you have issues

monitor.virtual_exec = "hardware"

monitor.virtual_mmu = "software"

Boot you Guest pointing at the Retail OS X DVD or ISO and away you go.

In terms of sound and enhanced graphics refer to Zenith432's excellent drivers site link below:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/vmsvga2/files/

Finally not tried Wireless, but will have a go, as I have a similar, well not quite as flash, an HP EliteBook 6930p.

Good Luck!

Meshx86,

In terms of sound use Zenith432's excellent audio drivers at the following locatlion:

The go to utilities and select Audio Midi Setup you should have the option to select VMware VMaudio, this also allows you to change the format, which can help with sound issues.

Hope this helps!

In terms of installing OS X on an Intel Core i7, yes this is possible refer th the Hackintosh topics on this site, or google Hackintosh, plenty of help out there, this topic is for VMware hosted OS X.

Cheers!

hey, thank you for the reply, to me that link SVGA sounds to me like a Video Driver no an Audio.. even though, i've downloaded it ,and in the sound in settings there were no hardware to select !

not in settings - > sounds, not in utitlites audio midi setup !

any guys has bee facing issues upgrading to 10.6.2 ? keeps giving message :

The update could not be expanded and verified. It may have been corrupted or tampered with during downloading. The update will be downloaded and checked again the next time that Software Update runs

hey, thank you for the reply, to me that link SVGA sounds to me like a Video Driver no an Audio.. even though, i've downloaded it ,and in the sound in settings there were no hardware to select !

not in settings - > sounds, not in utitlites audio midi setup !

any guys has bee facing issues upgrading to 10.6.2 ? keeps giving message :

The update could not be expanded and verified. It may have been corrupted or tampered with during downloading. The update will be downloaded and checked again the next time that Software Update runs

Meshx86,

The link is to the files directory the audio driver is at the bottom of the page link below:

"EnsoniqAudioPCI_1.0.2_for_SnowLeopard.mpkg.tar.gz"

In terms of the 10.6.2 update, couple of others have had the problem with the software update processs, so go to the apple site and download the file manually then apply the .dmg. This seems to work fine.

Cheers!

OK i had success installing a Retail OSX 10.6 .dmg image in VMWare 7

First made the VMX and edited only "guestOS = "darwin10""

booted from the "darwin-wks7.zip --> darwin.iso"

got the CMD prompt to

1 boot dvd

2 boot first HD

3 Eject DVD

selected 3

then: VM --> Removable Devices --> CD/DVD --> Settings

changed to the OSX106.dmg "change the drop down to show all files so you can select a .dmg file""--> ok

right click the dvd icon in the lower righthand corner of the vm screen, click "connect"

press 1 to boot DVD

like magic grey screen---> installer window

after reboot change the dvd to mount and boot from the darwin.iso again or youll get the "operating system not found"

i UPDATED to 10.6.2 using the downloaded from apple.com combo update

WORKS PERFECTLY

attached is my .vmx file and vmware.log

AS REQUESTED:

My Machine Specs:

core2duo 6300 @ 1.86Ghz CPU

2 GB Ram

Windows 7 RTM x86

OSXvmx.zip

vmware_log.zip

got the CMD prompt to

1 boot dvd

2 boot first HD

3 Eject DVD

selected 3

changed to the OSX106.dmg "change the drop down to show all files so you can select a .dmg file""--> ok

right click the dvd icon in the lower righthand corner of the vm screen, click "connect"

press 1 to boot DVD

after reboot change the dvd to mount and boot from the darwin.iso again or youll get the "operating system not found"

attached is my .vmx file

Please give us more details, vmware.log and CPU specs.

got the CMD prompt to

1 boot dvd

2 boot first HD

3 Eject DVD

selected 3

press 1 to boot DVD

attached is my .vmx file

wow man, thank you

you awesome

works great!

got the CMD prompt to

1 boot dvd

2 boot first HD

3 Eject DVD

OK, I think we need to clarify the role of the darwin.iso file in the installation and running of OS X in VMware. Sorry Donk, for this darwin.iso idiot's guide, hope I have got it right!

The darwin.iso is integral to making OS X boot and run under VMware, but it's role is handled by the addition of the guestOS = "darwin" "darwin10" "darwin-64" or "darwin10-64" depending on the flavour of OS X you are running.

With the guestOS selected the darwin.iso takes care of the rest, i.e. boot loaders, EFI, kext, etc. It even lies to VM and says you are running server even if you are running client so VM can abide by Apple's Virtualisation T's & C's. So you do not need to mount the darwin.iso for the boot process, the only time you need to mount the darwin.iso is to install VMware tools.

So during the installation process just have your CD/DVD setting pointing at either the retail DVD or its .iso or .dmg image and things will progress much more smoothly.

So having got that off my chest lets see if we can point "hrubak" in the right direction.

Since you are trying to install Snow Leopard 32-bit, try adding the following to your .vmx file as they do not appear to be present, not forgetting your CPU must be Intel and VT-X enabled and your media must be retail. Alos, you have darwin-200 updated with the darwin.iso from the snowy or wks7 zips and installed in your VMware Player 3 or Workstation 7.

ich7m.present = "TRUE"

keyboard.vusb.enable = "FALSE" may need to be "FALSE" if you have keyboard issues

mouse.vusb.enable = "TRUE" may need to be "FALSE" if you have mouse issues

monitor.virtual_exec = "hardware"

monitor.virtual_mmu = "software"

smc.present = "FALSE"

and of course guestOS = "darwin10" which is in your .vmx supplied

Good luck!

keyboard.vusb.enable = "FALSE" may need to be "FALSE" if you have keyboard issues

Oops,

Should have read as follows:

keyboard.vusb.enable = "TRUE" may need to be "FALSE" if you have keyboard issues

Sorry! must be late!!

Hi folks,

I am running SL on workstation 7, working really good so far. The only problem I have so far is that when I attempt to restart or shutdown, I get OSX's "screen of death" if you know what I mean (see pic attached). Has anyone seen or resolved this?

post-82773-1259988132_thumb.png

Hi folks,

I am running SL on workstation 7, working really good so far. The only problem I have so far is that when I attempt to restart or shutdown, I get OSX's "screen of death" if you know what I mean (see pic attached). Has anyone seen or resolved this?

Yes I have, and I have no work around currently. The interrupts are not being reenabled after the shutdown.

I get the following error after I switched to the leopard iso and the dvd starts to boot:

Loading Darwin/x86

Invalid front-side bus frequency 66000000 Hz.

Disabling the CPU...

I tried setting the 'paevm' parameter in my vmx file, but it doesn't make any difference.

Yes I have, and I have no work around currently. The interrupts are not being reenabled after the shutdown.
Have you tried using psystar's OpenHaltRestart.kext for this? I have it installed and have no problem shutting down or restarting.

Invalid front-side bus frequency 66000000 Hz.
Sounds like you're trying to boot vanilla kernel with guestOS = "freebsd...". With freebsd, the VMM sets the FSB frequency to 66MHZ. With guestOS "darwin..." it sets a value above 90MHz, which is the minimum required by vanilla. If you want to boot vanilla, you must use guestOS "darwin...".

It even lies to VM and says you are running server even if you are running client so VM can abide by Apple's Virtualisation T's & C's.
LOL, technically, it's not a lie. The way VMware enforce Apple's DRM is that when you set guestOS "darwin...", their legacy BIOS refuses to boot from the hard drive. It boots from a CD drive, expecting to find darwin.iso there. darwin.iso then looks for a file ServerVersion.plist on the hard drive. If it can't find it, it sends a backdoor message back to the VMM telling it that the OS is not Server, and shuts down the virtual machine. If you neutralize this backdoor message, the boot proceeds as normal.

So you do not need to mount the darwin.iso for the boot process, the only time you need to mount the darwin.iso is to install VMware tools.
If you set guestOS "darwin...", you must have some CD (or image) in the drive to boot from. It doesn't have to be VMware's CD boot image, but there has to be some CD booter mounted.

Have you tried using psystar's OpenHaltRestart.kext for this? I have it installed and have no problem shutting down or restarting.

I am working on it as part of the Chameleon based loader, but don't have a great deal of time at the moment. (I have some code to do the virtual eject, but need to re-apply the changes to your latest patches for Netkas boot code). There is also a new restart kext in the News section which may take a look at. Ultimately though I want to get EFI BIOS working then don't need any of this stuff. :wacko:

I installed OpenHaltRestart.kext and didn't make any difference.

Anyway, if the system shuts down "succesfully", then I guess this is more an annoyance than anything else. I guess I don't know at what point the crash occur, or whether this could corrupt the disk and OS.

Just wanted to report that the latest ISO worked perfectly with a Snow Leopard retail image on a C2D SL9400. I created the VM in Workstation 7 running on Windows Seven, then moved it in Ubuntu 9.10 to open it with VMWare Player. It runs unbelievably well for such a 'weak' CPU and only 2gb RAM (total).

So many thanks to Donk and all those who did the hard work, I never thought setting up a SL VM could be this easy.

Perhaps someone can help me. I am trying to load SL on VMware WS 7 but can't get to first base. The player is giving me the error "Max OS X is not supported with software virtualization. To run Mac OS X you need a host on which VMware Workstation support hardware virtualization". However, I am running on a machine that supports HW virtualization! I don't get this error when I use an older version of WMware (actually, Player 2.5 will start without an error.).

I installed everything according to the instructions replacing the darwin.iso with the one in darwin-wks7.zip prior to install. I am stumped. Attached is the error and vmx.

post-537212-1260124126.png

OSX.vmx.txt

Perhaps someone can help me. I am trying to load SL on VMware WS 7 but can't get to first base. The player is giving me the error "Max OS X is not supported with software virtualization. To run Mac OS X you need a host on which VMware Workstation support hardware virtualization". However, I am running on a machine that supports HW virtualization! I don't get this error when I use an older version of WMware (actually, Player 2.5 will start without an error.).

I installed everything according to the instructions replacing the darwin.iso with the one in darwin-wks7.zip prior to install. I am stumped. Attached is the error and vmx.

Can you download and run this executable please http://www.grc.com/securable.htm? Post output here.

I suppose my problem is unsolvable :censored2: . Well this is very nice work Donk, it is absolutely amazing. Thanks but maybe 1 of these days it'll work.

Please read the post on what I need to be able to debug this. http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1189918

Sure...here you go. Thanks for your help.

You have a 32-bit VT enabled CPU, and it looks like VMware can't use that for Mac OS X. I did see similar reports on this for early Mac Mini's as well. Wehn you boot you need to try arch=i386 at the boot prompt.

Everytime I install I get a "BSD process name corresponding to current thread: unknown s on stack)

I am using Windows 7 with Workstation 7. I have the Intel core 2 Quad Q6600

I have attached a picture with what I'm seeing

nuovo1g.jpg

Here my specs with securable but i get the double panic (like you) error when i try to setup

Snow Leopard with wms7 and guestOS=darwin-64.

It installs fine with guestOS=darwin10-64 but no 64 bit kernel in system report.

nuovo2hr.jpg

Please explain what's wrong in my vmx

.encoding = "windows-1252"
config.version = "8"
virtualHW.version = "7"
maxvcpus = "4"
scsi0.present = "TRUE"
scsi0.virtualDev = "lsilogic"
memsize = "1024"
scsi0:0.present = "TRUE"
scsi0:0.fileName = "Snow Leopard.vmdk"
ide1:0.present = "TRUE"