VMware Mac OS X Guest Package for ESX, Workstation, Player, Server and Fusion

2,213 posts in this topic

First of all I'd like to thank you all for contributing to a great place to learn all things MAC. I myself am brand new to MAC and to the site and have learned alot from this site... thanks everyone.

The instructions provided allowed me to easily get an OSX Leopard VM created in VMware Workstation 7 using the Darwin-200 package without any problems. I have 2 questions:

1. I created my VM to have 16 gb of HDD space (double what was suggested) and after the install i have only 2.5 gb remaining. Is that normal?

2. To try an cleanup or recover some space by the method suggested in the manual I need to install the VMware tools but I have not been able to figure out how to be able to install these tools... are there any suggestions for this?

Thanks again,

GO WINGS!

as per manual and first post, snow leopard on workstation 7 is not supported, however, there is link to download a darwin.iso to get this support. How do the relevant instructions change to get that setup working? I assume I need to set the guestOS to "darwin10"? How about the rest of the settings? Should I choose FreeBSD 32 or 64? Any other changes? IDE or SCSI ok too?

I am currently stuck trying to create the disk with diskutil. It sees the VM IDE drive but when I try to create the partition it gets stuck forever saying "Unmounting disk" at the bottom.

as per manual and first post, snow leopard on workstation 7 is not supported, however, there is link to download a darwin.iso to get this support. How do the relevant instructions change to get that setup working? I assume I need to set the guestOS to "darwin10"? How about the rest of the settings? Should I choose FreeBSD 32 or 64? Any other changes? IDE or SCSI ok too?

I am currently stuck trying to create the disk with diskutil. It sees the VM IDE drive but when I try to create the partition it gets stuck forever saying "Unmounting disk" at the bottom.

SL is only supported in Fusion 3 and "unoffically" supported in Workstation 7, but you need the darwin-200 zip and replace the darwin.iso with the one out of snowy or the newer darwin-wks7.zip file, and setup.sh install in to your Workstation install. If you have installed other implementations of darwin run setup uninstall before installing the new version.

You need to create your VM as FreeBSD either 32 or 64, and use recommended disk setting i.e. SCSI. Start your VM once then shutdown, now edit your .vmx file as oer the manual, i.e. guestOS = darwin10 for 32 bit or darwin10-64 for , you guessed it, in 64-bit.

Example:

guestOS = "darwin10-64"

ich7m.present = "TRUE"

keyboard.vusb.enable = "TRUE" may need to set this to "FALSE"

mouse.vusb.enable = "TRUE" may need to set this to "FALSE"

monitor.virtual_exec = "hardware"

monitor.virtual_mmu = "software"

smc.present = "FALSE"

This should get you up and running, then when you are up and running install the VM tools, but mount the darwin.iso and run the .pkg to do this, the darwin.iso is in your workstation 7 directory on the host PC.

Good luck!

When trying to install SL on Workstation 7 i get this error when booting the VM.

Mac OS X is not supported with software virtualization. To run Mac OS X you need a host on which VMware Workstation supports hardware virtualization.

I thought that machines with c2d did support hardware virtualization

EDIT: found out mine doesn't so i ordered one that did.

SL is only supported in Fusion 3 and "unoffically" supported in Workstation 7, but you need the darwin-200 zip and replace the darwin.iso with the one out of snowy or the newer darwin-wks7.zip file, and setup.sh install in to your Workstation install. If you have installed other implementations of darwin run setup uninstall before installing the new version.

.....yadda yadda yadda....

This should get you up and running, then when you are up and running install the VM tools, but mount the darwin.iso and run the .pkg to do this, the darwin.iso is in your workstation 7 directory on the host PC.

Good luck!

Thanks man, this helped with my question 4 posts above although I could not figure out how to access to the iso file mounted on the host PC. I had to copy the darwin-200 files to a USB key to transfer them to the VM and mount the iso using: hdiutil mount /<path to..>/sample.iso command from a terminal Window.

Thanks man, this helped with my question 4 posts above although I could not figure out how to access to the iso file mounted on the host PC. I had to copy the darwin-200 files to a USB key to transfer them to the VM and mount the iso using: hdiutil mount /<path to..>/sample.iso command from a terminal Window.

Hockeytown,

Gload the post for Bigcat400 helped, in terms of installing the VM tools based on the darwin-200 darin.ios let me clarify.

When you installed the darwin-200 drivers they copied the darwin.iso to your Workstation 7 installation, probably something like:

C:\Pogram Fles\VMware\Workstation\darwin.iso may be C:\Program Files (x86) if you are running Windows 7 64-Bit

So go in to Virtual Machine Settings, Hardware click on CD/DVD (IDE) and select Use ISO image file: and browse to the darwin.iso previously mentioned say OK, you will get some comment about dismounting, but say OK, then you should get a darwin 200 or 300 if you used the wks7 zip. Double click on the DVD icon and install VMware Tools.

Good Luck!

P.S. Looking in to you request to expand your OS X virtual disk. I can expand the virtual disk no problem, just working on expanding the OS X system disk in to the additional space, will get back to you.

Thanks much. Chose SCSI this time and it's installing now. :P

You need to create your VM as FreeBSD either 32 or 64, and use recommended disk setting i.e. SCSI. Start your VM once then shutdown, now edit your .vmx file as oer the manual, i.e. guestOS = darwin10 for 32 bit or darwin10-64 for , you guessed it, in 64-bit.

Example:

guestOS = "darwin10-64"

ich7m.present = "TRUE"

keyboard.vusb.enable = "TRUE" may need to set this to "FALSE"

mouse.vusb.enable = "TRUE" may need to set this to "FALSE"

smc.present = "FALSE"

Good luck!

Update 1: Edited 3 posts into one

Update 2: The files can now be found here:

http://www.filedropper.com/vmware-darwin-200

http://www.filedropper.com/vmware-darwin-voodoo

http://www.filedropper.com/darwin-wks7 (Workstation 7 and Snow Leopard support)

Update 2: Would everyone make sure they add or change lines in VMX to this. It solves quite a few problems:

So after months of testing here is a new version of the package to run retail Mac OS X in VMware. This release supports the following products:

• VMware Workstation 6.5 (Windows & Linux)
  • VMware Player 2.5 (Windows & Linux)
  • VMware Server 2.0 (Windows & Linux)
  • VMware Fusion 2.0 (Mac OS X)
  • VMware ESX 4.0
  • VMware ESXi 4.0

It is compatible with the other methods that have been previously described in the forums. I have attached the manual to the post.

Problem Resolution

To help me understand some of the issues that are being seen can I ask everyone who has a problem to post the following information please when first logging the problem:

• VMware product and version being used
  • Host operating system
  • Host CPU
  • Vanilla Leopard or other distro
  • Version of Leopard 10.5.6, 10.5.7 etc.
  • Please attach the VMX file
  • Please attach the latest vmware.log file

(Please remember I have stated that I do not support anything other than vanilla with this method.)

For manual clarifications and additional updates from testing; e.g. ESX configuration please use your judgement as to whether to post this information. Also remember I do this in my spare time, and have full time job, family and other interests, so I will answer when I can.

Experimental Package for Core 2 Quad and Core i7

Various issues have been raised with these processors. I have put together an experimental update to the package which uses the Voodoo 2 alpha 3 kernel. If you are having issues then please try the changes. If you are not experiencing any problems do not use this package until such time as it is rolled into the main one. If you have a non-Core processor but that is VT-x enabled such as P4D, then this may also be useful to you.

If you do try it then read the manual and the update PDFs thoroughly before starting.

Hi Donk, seems like you're all over the forum so firstly, thanks for your tireless efforts. I've been following your guide closely for a week now, trying to install Snow Leopard onto my VAIO Z which just recently has had its virtualization enabled by Sony.

I've followed the guide as posted above, downloaded all the files, executed VMWare ISO Signature Creator 2.0.0, created a virtual machine under FreeBSD 64 with 3 GB of RAM, 20GB IDE HD etc., and modified the VMX to include all the lines above and in the PDF guide, and burned the SL onto DVD DL.

What's frustrating me though is that the boot loader won't pick up the installer. I keep getting this message "Please wait for the DVD to load..." with the spinning forwardslash of death that does not go into the install. When I force the boot menu out using F8, after I type C (Boot DVD) from the boot menu, all I get is: "You should eject this CD and insert an OS X disc / Do you want to continue booting this CD (probably won't work)?"

Tried everything including 32 and 64 bit set ups for the machine, and legacy support for the CD drive on and off. Am I missing a step, using the wrong guide (for Snow Leopard) or not seeing something? I know some other users have had similar problems, but I checked my VMX file and the guestOS field was correct according to your PDF guide.

Are there additional steps in between that has to be taken to follow through for Snow Leopard?

PS. Am using VMWare Player 3 on Windows 7.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Donk, seems like you're all over the forum so firstly, thanks for your tireless efforts. I've been following your guide closely for a week now, trying to install Snow Leopard onto my VAIO Z which just recently has had its virtualization enabled by Sony.

I've followed the guide as posted above, downloaded all the files, executed VMWare ISO Signature Creator 2.0.0, created a virtual machine under FreeBSD 64 with 3 GB of RAM, 20GB IDE HD etc., and modified the VMX to include all the lines above and in the PDF guide, and burned the SL onto DVD DL.

What's frustrating me though is that the boot loader won't pick up the installer. I keep getting this message "Please wait for the DVD to load..." with the spinning forwardslash of death that does not go into the install. When I force the boot menu out using F8, after I type C (Boot DVD) from the boot menu, all I get is: "You should eject this CD and insert an OS X disc / Do you want to continue booting this CD (probably won't work)?"

Tried everything including 32 and 64 bit set ups for the machine, and legacy support for the CD drive on and off. Am I missing a step, using the wrong guide (for Snow Leopard) or not seeing something? I know some other users have had similar problems, but I checked my VMX file and the guestOS field was correct according to your PDF guide.

Are there additional steps in between that has to be taken to follow through for Snow Leopard?

PS. Am using VMWare Player 3 on Windows 7.

Thanks in advance!

Couple of pointers, select SCSI rather than IDE in you initial FreeBSD set-up, it is the default and poeple have had problems with getting IDE to work, see the post before yours from BigCat400.

Also, you need to make sure your SL disk is a retail version, and not a recovery version shipped with a Mac, again this will not work.

Finally the guide is based on Workstation 7, so may have issues with Player 3, need to give it a try, although Player 3 works fine once you have created your OS X VM. You can download and run Workstation 7 on a 30 day trial with full functionality, then switch to Player 3 once the VM is up and running.

Good luck!

Mac SofK

Finally the guide is based on Workstation 7, so may have issues with Player 3, need to give it a try

Update regarding VMware Player 3.

If you have only player then you do not get the VMware tools by default but when you create a guest it askes to down load the tools including the relevant .iso and also creates the .sig file. I downloaded the full set but you may not need them, in VM Player go to File > Preferences > Download All Components Now.

The "setup.cmd install" from the darwin-200.zip, with the darwin.iso updated from the snowy or wks7 zip runs fine and isntalles the darwin.iso and .sig file into the VMware Player directory, just as it would for Workstation.

With the darwin.iso installed you can continue with your install having modified your vmx file.

Also pre-built OS X's will now work, as without the darwin.iso installed, the guest OS X will not boot, the darwin.iso contains the relevant boot loaders for OS X in VMware. You may be able to use Zenith432's method as per Workstation 6.5.3, but have not tried that yet.

Hope this helps?

Right thanks for the update. Unfortunately right at the moment I cannot get access to the ESXi box this was tested on due network problems. Once I do I will see what the issue is, but of course VMware may have disabled support.

OK. My bad. I tried starting it through vCenter instead of directly on the ESX hosts as noted by this thread

http://www.00235.insanelymac.do1.uk.com/fo...40&start=40

Starting it up by directly connecting to the ESX host worked.

Just posting a quick success story.

System Setup:

Asus P6T6 WS Revolution Motherboard BIOS 0507

Core i7 920 Processor overclocked to 3.9Ghz

12GB Tri Channel DDR3 Memory 1600

NVidia Geforce GTX 260 Graphics

Windows 7 Ultimate x64

VMWare Workstation 7.0 Build 203739

Pre Install:

Installed Donk's darwin-wks7 package following instructions from manual.pdf in original post.

Guest OS Setup:

Created guest as Freebsd 64-bit

Allocated 1 CPU with 2 Cores and 2048MB (2GB) of RAM

.vmx Tweaks:

guestOS = "darwin10-64"
ich7m.present = "TRUE"
smc.present = "FALSE"
keyboard.vusb.enable = "TRUE"
mouse.vusb.enable = "TRUE"

Guest OS Source:

Mac OSX Server 10.6 Retail DVD dmg converted to ISO and mounted in VMWare virtual CD drive. Didn't boot when trying to mount .dmg directly. Converted to ISO using DMGExtractor:

http://hem.bredband.net/catacombae/dmgx.html

Post Install:

Ran Software Update to update to 10.6.2 + Other updates

Mounted darwin.iso from Donk's darwin-wks7 package into VMWare and installed VMWare Tools.

VMsvga2 1.2.2 for multi resolution support:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/vmsvga2/fi...er.pkg/download

EnsoniqAudioPCI_1.0.2_for_SnowLeopard.mpkg.tar.gz for audio support:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/vmsvga2/fi...tar.gz/download

Screenshot:

javrqg.jpg

Hockeytown,

Gload the post for Bigcat400 helped, in terms of installing the VM tools based on the darwin-200 darin.ios let me clarify.

When you installed the darwin-200 drivers they copied the darwin.iso to your Workstation 7 installation, probably something like:

C:\Pogram Fles\VMware\Workstation\darwin.iso may be C:\Program Files (x86) if you are running Windows 7 64-Bit

So go in to Virtual Machine Settings, Hardware click on CD/DVD (IDE) and select Use ISO image file: and browse to the darwin.iso previously mentioned say OK, you will get some comment about dismounting, but say OK, then you should get a darwin 200 or 300 if you used the wks7 zip. Double click on the DVD icon and install VMware Tools.

Good Luck!

P.S. Looking in to you request to expand your OS X virtual disk. I can expand the virtual disk no problem, just working on expanding the OS X system disk in to the additional space, will get back to you.

I ended up building a new VM with a larger HDD capacity after not being able to get the OSX partition to resize. I did try you method for installing the VMware tools things time and it worked like a charm.... thank you again.

I'm setting this VM up so that our developers and build and test iphone apps. I dl'd the iphone SDK which wants the OSX updates to be installed but when I do the OSX update (Mac OS X Update Combined v 10.5.8) I am getting an error saying "The installer could not validate the contents of the MacOSXupdcombo10.5.8 package...". Is there a known fix for this error to allow the update to be applied and then the SDK to be installed?

Ok, this thread is 43 pages ? and its hard to track,

i've been able to install and run 10.5.6 on vmware 6.5 worked smoothly but with keyboard flooding sometimes..

now i intenedto do 10.6 on vmware 7, i started doing:

in the vmx file, then what ? the darwin 200 ?

suppose yes, i've extracted it, run setup install

after that i added to the vmx :

guestOS = "darwin10-64"

ich7m.present = "TRUE"

smc.present = "FALSE"

(also false the last 2)

i insert the DVD ISO, it keeps in Intel LAN booting ?!

shall i insert the darwin for vmw7 to the iso in vmware 7 ? or shall i replace it in the darwin 200 folder in order to be copied ?

i've tried those too, still cannot boot anything, still in intel lan booting, i even tried the 10.5.6 to make sure the error is not form the Image.

Help please ?

I ended up building a new VM with a larger HDD capacity after not being able to get the OSX partition to resize. I did try you method for installing the VMware tools things time and it worked like a charm.... thank you again.

I'm setting this VM up so that our developers and build and test iphone apps. I dl'd the iphone SDK which wants the OSX updates to be installed but when I do the OSX update (Mac OS X Update Combined v 10.5.8) I am getting an error saying "The installer could not validate the contents of the MacOSXupdcombo10.5.8 package...". Is there a known fix for this error to allow the update to be applied and then the SDK to be installed?

Hockeytown,

Glad you have made progress, yes I did have a play around with resizing, but it was a pain, carbon copy cloner etc. Probably simpler to just create a new VM OS X, I thin provision and set a size of between 64GB and 128GB depending how I am feeling, well OK 64GB for Client and 128GB for Server, so no running out of space.

Not sure why you are having a problem with the update, I have run it on both Client and Server without problems, either letting OS X do an update or downloading the update fron the Apple site, do both fail for you?

Ok, this thread is 43 pages ? and its hard to track,

i've been able to install and run 10.5.6 on vmware 6.5 worked smoothly but with keyboard flooding sometimes..

now i intenedto do 10.6 on vmware 7, i started doing:

in the vmx file, then what ? the darwin 200 ?

suppose yes, i've extracted it, run setup install

after that i added to the vmx :

guestOS = "darwin10-64"

ich7m.present = "TRUE"

smc.present = "FALSE"

(also false the last 2)

i insert the DVD ISO, it keeps in Intel LAN booting ?!

shall i insert the darwin for vmw7 to the iso in vmware 7 ? or shall i replace it in the darwin 200 folder in order to be copied ?

i've tried those too, still cannot boot anything, still in intel lan booting, i even tried the 10.5.6 to make sure the error is not form the Image.

Help please ?

OK, you are nearly their, honest. Just to confirm your DVD or ISO are of the retail version of Sl, not a disk supplied with a Mac, needs to be a retail copy or iso to work.

If that is the case, what you are missing is the SL upgrade to darwin 200, you will find a snowy zip or the later wks7 zip on one of Donk's posts which contain a darwin.iso which replaces the one in the darwin-200.zip.

Unfortunately you need to uninstall the darwin you installed with darwin-200 "setup.cmd uninstall" before you can replace the darwin.iso from either snowy or wks7 in your darwin-200 directory then run the "setup.cmd install".

This will install the darwin.iso and importantly create a .sig file that will support SL, and if you have a retail version of SL and with the mods you made in you .vmx. SL should install fine, promise!

Plenty of us out there now with the teashirt!

Good Luck!

Mac SofK

Following instructions posted in this thread, I was able to successfully install Snow Leopard (much thx to all involved), and everything seems to be running perfectly, except Shared Folders. I followed the instructions in manual.pdf in darwin-200.zip to edit the services.sh file. Shared Folders "seem" to be working, but when I open the shared folders the top level folder is read-only (Finder shows a crossed pen icon), but curiously all folders beneath that are read-write. And when I try to copy something onto the shared folders (my desktop folder on the host, which is windows 7), Finder acts like it is copying the file, but at the end of the copy, it says I don't have proper permissions and abandons the copy. On windows side, I can see the initial file created (at around 4k).

When editing the services.sh file, the manual.pdf mentions to run the id command and get the uid. I assumed it meant to get the uid of the logged in user in mac (which is 501 for me). However the language is a bit confusing there. Is it meant to be the uid of another user? Or is my mistake somewhere else? Did anyone else have this problem? I hope there's someone out there who can help.

Thx.

Following instructions posted in this thread, I was able to successfully install Snow Leopard (much thx to all involved), and everything seems to be running perfectly, except Shared Folders. I followed the instructions in manual.pdf in darwin-200.zip to edit the services.sh file. Shared Folders "seem" to be working, but when I open the shared folders the top level folder is read-only (Finder shows a crossed pen icon), but curiously all folders beneath that are read-write. And when I try to copy something onto the shared folders (my desktop folder on the host, which is windows 7), Finder acts like it is copying the file, but at the end of the copy, it says I don't have proper permissions and abandons the copy. On windows side, I can see the initial file created (at around 4k).

When editing the services.sh file, the manual.pdf mentions to run the id command and get the uid. I assumed it meant to get the uid of the logged in user in mac (which is 501 for me). However the language is a bit confusing there. Is it meant to be the uid of another user? Or is my mistake somewhere else? Did anyone else have this problem? I hope there's someone out there who can help.

Thx.

Goose,

If you are running SL and Workstation 7, you should not need the script commands from the manual 4.1.1 as the manual is for L not SL, and shared folders work fine in SL under Workstation 7.

Cheers!

Ok so i got it working, but

No Sound ?

the icons on he bar below ( am new to mac ) i recall them poping up when mouse goes over, here it just shows the name..

can i install MAC OSX 10.6 on a Core i7 Machine Real not VM ?!

i would how it would perform with GTX 285 and 6 GB Ram with 2 x Intel X25-M G2 RAID 0 Harddrive !

No Sound ?

the icons on he bar below ( am new to mac ) i recall them poping up when mouse goes over, here it just shows the name..

i would how it would perform with GTX 285 and 6 GB Ram with 2 x Intel X25-M G2 RAID 0 Harddrive !

Meshx86,

In terms of sound use Zenith432's excellent audio drivers at the following locatlion:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/vmsvga2/files/

The go to utilities and select Audio Midi Setup you should have the option to select VMware VMaudio, this also allows you to change the format, which can help with sound issues.

Hope this helps!

In terms of installing OS X on an Intel Core i7, yes this is possible refer th the Hackintosh topics on this site, or google Hackintosh, plenty of help out there, this topic is for VMware hosted OS X.

Cheers!

Hockeytown,

Glad you have made progress, yes I did have a play around with resizing, but it was a pain, carbon copy cloner etc. Probably simpler to just create a new VM OS X, I thin provision and set a size of between 64GB and 128GB depending how I am feeling, well OK 64GB for Client and 128GB for Server, so no running out of space.

Not sure why you are having a problem with the update, I have run it on both Client and Server without problems, either letting OS X do an update or downloading the update fron the Apple site, do both fail for you?

Mac SofK,

Thanks again. Problem was solved easily by downloading the patch and installing it manually as you suggested. Now I will figure out how to install the SDK and tools and I should be good to go. Big thanks to you for your support here, I greatly appreciate it and I'm sure the other MAC cripples like myself will appreciate your great help also.

Thanks,

Hockeytown

Mac SofK,

Thanks again. Problem was solved easily by downloading the patch and installing it manually as you suggested. Now I will figure out how to install the SDK and tools and I should be good to go. Big thanks to you for your support here, I greatly appreciate it and I'm sure the other MAC cripples like myself will appreciate your great help also.

Thanks,

Hockeytown

Always a pleasure, and thanks for you kind commnets, just trying to help others along as the legends Donk, Zenith432 et al have done for me, also giving them time to work on some cool enhancements, can't wait!

Cheers,

Mac SofK!

No Sound ?

Sorry missed you question re icons, it is in dock preferences, enable magnification and set the slider to what best suites your resolution.

Cheers!