VMware Mac OS X Guest Package for ESX, Workstation, Player, Server and Fusion

2,213 posts in this topic

Here my specs with securable but i get the double panic (like you) error when i try to setup

Snow Leopard with wms7 and guestOS=darwin-64.

It installs fine with guestOS=darwin10-64 but no 64 bit kernel in system report.

Please explain what's wrong in my vmx

First change this line:

ich7m.present = "FALSE"

to

ich7m.present = "TRUE"

Note that the kernel will not be in 64-bit mode using VMware in this way, but user-land 64-bit applications are enabled. (Remember kernel mode != app mode for bitness in Mac OS X).

First change this line:

ich7m.present = "FALSE"

to

ich7m.present = "TRUE"

Note that the kernel will not be in 64-bit mode using VMware in this way, but user-land 64-bit applications are enabled. (Remember kernel mode != app mode for bitness in Mac OS X).

southbridge enabled.

64-bit ... learned ... :rolleyes:

one last question

i can copy a file from vmware shared folder to mac, but not from mac to shared. why?

Danke ... Donk :(

Hey folks,

(First off, sorry if this has been covered -- i tried searching within the thread but the search function appears to be broken).

I've been happily chugging along with my Snow Leopard installation in VMWare for the past few months and all has been well.

Last week, I upgraded from the VMWare Workstation 7.0 Beta to the release version (build 203739) and when I went to boot up my SL instance, all hell broke loose. Or rather, it just broke. I got the message on the screen:

"Operating System not found"

Uh-oh. So I checked the VMX file and it looks like some things were changed. I just rebuilt it from scratch, following all the suggested instructions (I think?) and I'm still getting that message. Note that nothing was changed (by me at least) on the virtual disk -- simply shut it down, upgraded VMWare, and restarted and bam--no go.

Anyone else experience this? Am I screwed or is this a setting I'm missing?

I've attached my VMX file, as requested. Advice would be appreciated! I'd hate to have lost my whole OSX installation -- I had a lot of stuff on that disk :*(

trikx_vmx.txt

Hey folks,

(First off, sorry if this has been covered -- i tried searching within the thread but the search function appears to be broken).

I've been happily chugging along with my Snow Leopard installation in VMWare for the past few months and all has been well.

Last week, I upgraded from the VMWare Workstation 7.0 Beta to the release version (build 203739) and when I went to boot up my SL instance, all hell broke loose. Or rather, it just broke. I got the message on the screen:

"Operating System not found"

Uh-oh. So I checked the VMX file and it looks like some things were changed. I just rebuilt it from scratch, following all the suggested instructions (I think?) and I'm still getting that message. Note that nothing was changed (by me at least) on the virtual disk -- simply shut it down, upgraded VMWare, and restarted and bam--no go.

Anyone else experience this? Am I screwed or is this a setting I'm missing?

I've attached my VMX file, as requested. Advice would be appreciated! I'd hate to have lost my whole OSX installation -- I had a lot of stuff on that disk :*(

Whenever you upgrade the tools get replaced. You need to run the installer command again to copy darwin.iso back and re-create the sha-1 signatures.

Whenever you upgrade the tools get replaced. You need to run the installer command again to copy darwin.iso back and re-create the sha-1 signatures.

Ah ha! Figured it was something like that. I'll try right now and report back....

How long does it take to "Please wait for the DVD to load"?? I have gone through the setup process with a few different variations and I can get it to this prompt with the spinning text cursor, but it just seems to sit there forever. How long should it be there before I get the grey screen?

How long does it take to "Please wait for the DVD to load"?? I have gone through the setup process with a few different variations and I can get it to this prompt with the spinning text cursor, but it just seems to sit there forever. How long should it be there before I get the grey screen?

You need to give us way more infomration to help out! http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1189918

Hi

I'm using SL on vmware player 3.0. Thanks to Donk :)

And I also found SL can boot with 64-bit kernel on vmware player 3/workstaton 7 if I tweak kexts, vmx file, etc....

1) Put x86_64 capable fakesmc.kext into '/System/Library/Extensions'.

2) Run 'sudo ln -s /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist /System/Library/CoreServices/ServerVersion.plist' which create a symlink to avoid vmware's "Operating system is not Mac OS X Server" error.

3) Add "firmware = efi" to .vmx file. Also, make sure "guestOS = darwin10-64" and "smc.present = false".

[EDIT] remove unneeded step #4

After the modifications to installed SL guest above, it does boot with 64-bit kernel in vmware player 3/workstation 7 by using vmware's EFI emulation which is used in fusion 3 for supporting Mac OS X Server guests. You can confirm this in System Profiler (it should show 64-bit kernel mode = YES) or Activity Monitor (in which kernel_task should be running in "Intel (64-bit)" mode). It seems using vmware's EFI emulation resolves incorrect CPU frequency value in "About this Mac". I can see correct value in that window or System Profiler.

Note that you need an already working SL guest. You CANNOT install SL by using vmware's darwin.iso because it doesn't have fakesmc and it can't boot install discs other than legitimate L/SL Server.

Hi

I'm using SL on vmware player 3.0. Thanks to Donk :P

And I also found SL can boot with 64-bit kernel on vmware player 3/workstaton 7 if I tweak kexts, vmx file, etc....

1) Put x86_64 capable fakesmc.kext into '/System/Library/Extensions'.

2) Run 'sudo ln -s /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist /System/Library/CoreServices/ServerVersion.plist'

which create a symlink to avoid vmware's "Operating system is not Mac OS X Server" error.

3) Add "firmware = efi" to .vmx file. Also, make sure "guestOS = darwin10-64" and "smc.present = false".

4) Extract darwin.iso from fusion 3.0 package (I use 7-zip to extract .iso from .dmg on Windows).

Copy this darwin.iso and re-sign SHA-1 by using Donk's setup.cmd script.

After the modifications to installed SL guest above, it does boot with 64-bit kernel in vmware player 3/workstation 7 by using vmware's EFI emulation which is used in fusion 3 for supporting Mac OS X Server guests. You can confirm this in System Profiler (it should show 64-bit kernel mode = YES) or Activity Monitor (in which kernel_task should be running in "Intel (64-bit)" mode). It seems using vmware's EFI emulation resolves some issues. I can see correct CPU frequency value shown in "About this Mac" and virtual display device is detected as normal sRGB monitor in "System Preferences" -> "Displays" (which is unknown if I use bios emulation).

Note that you need an already working SL guest. You CANNOT install SL by using vmware's darwin.iso because it doesn't have fakesmc and it can't boot install discs other than legitimate L/SL Server.

Thanks for this. I am actually working on exactly the same thing!! :) You can also modify the BIOS to skip the server check and I will post the details at the weekend. You have to use the darwin.iso method to install but once done you can switch to EFI BIOS. I will probably start a new topic for this.

Thanks for this. I am actually working on exactly the same thing!! :) You can also modify the BIOS to skip the server check and I will post the details at the weekend.

Great! :) I'm waiting for your next post.

I see I can also skip server check by modifying BIOS. I examine vmware-vmx.exe to search for the codes related to server checks according to your mention and understand EFI BIOSs (both EFI32 and EFI64) are also hardcoded as different binary resources like normal 440BX bios. I have tried to find this before but I can't because I forgot the possibility that strings are stored in Unicode encoding :P Now, my VM can boot up without symlink hack and "About this Mac" says it is just "Mac OS X" (not server).

You have to use the darwin.iso method to install but once done you can switch to EFI BIOS.

Yeah, I also see your previous post and understand that both EFI BIOSs and some essential kexts (NullCPUPowerManagement, AppleIntelPIIXATA) are hardcoded in vmware-vmx.exe together. So, it is not easy to insert fakesmc. Normal bios emulation and modified darwin.iso are still needed to install from L/SL Retail DVD.

Thanks for reply.

Hi, fabri22 and Zenith432.

Report from a newbie :)

I just followed the first three steps

The step #4 isn't clear. I'm running sl on vmw7.

Do i need that darwin.iso modified file?

Sorry, you don't need fusion's darwin.iso. It's my misunderstanding. You should keep Donk's one and please ignore step #4. I'll edit the post.

No, those two kexts are in initrd.img inside darwin.iso.

Yes, they are also in initrd.img, but these are used only when vm uses legacy bios emulation. If firmware = "efi" setting is used vm boots without darwin.iso but dmesg still shows as follows:

npvhash=4095
Darwin Kernel Version 10.2.0: Tue Nov  3 10:35:19 PST 2009; root:xnu-1486.2.11~1/RELEASE_X86_64
vm_page_bootstrap: 248202 free pages and 13942 wired pages
kext submap [0xffffff7f80600000 - 0xffffff8000000000], kernel text [0xffffff8000200000 - 0xffffff8000600000]
standard timeslicing quantum is 10000 us
mig_table_max_displ = 73
NullCPUPowerManagement::init: properties=0xffffff8004375b40
NullCPUPowerManagement::start
AppleACPICPU: ProcessorId=0 LocalApicId=0 Enabled
AppleACPICPU: ProcessorId=1 LocalApicId=1 Enabled

Hi, fabri22 and Zenith432.

Sorry, you don't need fusion's darwin.iso. It's my misunderstanding. You should keep Donk's one and please ignore step #4. I'll edit the post.

Yes, they are also in initrd.img, but these are used only when vm uses legacy bios emulation. If firmware = "efi" setting is used vm boots without darwin.iso but dmesg still shows as follows:

npvhash=4095
Darwin Kernel Version 10.2.0: Tue Nov  3 10:35:19 PST 2009; root:xnu-1486.2.11~1/RELEASE_X86_64
vm_page_bootstrap: 248202 free pages and 13942 wired pages
kext submap [0xffffff7f80600000 - 0xffffff8000000000], kernel text [0xffffff8000200000 - 0xffffff8000600000]
standard timeslicing quantum is 10000 us
mig_table_max_displ = 73
NullCPUPowerManagement::init: properties=0xffffff8004375b40
NullCPUPowerManagement::start
AppleACPICPU: ProcessorId=0 LocalApicId=0 Enabled
AppleACPICPU: ProcessorId=1 LocalApicId=1 Enabled

You can extract the EFI BIOS and then modify which is safer then hacking the vmware-vmx executable, and point the VMX file at it. I have been investigating adding fakesmc to BIOS image, but can't work it out yet. Once I package what I have I think it will be time to start a new topic!

My Vmware version is 7

Host OS is Windows 7

Host cpu is Intel Core 2 Quad, Q6600

My distro is X86

Version of Leopard is v10.6

.encoding = "windows-1252"
config.version = "8"
virtualHW.version = "7"
maxvcpus = "4"
scsi0.present = "TRUE"
scsi0.virtualDev = "lsilogic"
memsize = "2048"
scsi0:0.present = "TRUE"
scsi0:0.fileName = "FreeBSD 64-bit-000001.vmdk"
ide1:0.present = "TRUE"
ide1:0.fileName = "D:\Downloads\10.6_snowleopard_10a222_userdvd\10.6_snowleopard_10a222_userdvd.iso"
ide1:0.deviceType = "cdrom-image"
floppy0.startConnected = "FALSE"
floppy0.fileName = ""
floppy0.autodetect = "TRUE"
ethernet0.present = "TRUE"
ethernet0.connectionType = "nat"
ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"
ethernet0.wakeOnPcktRcv = "FALSE"
ethernet0.addressType = "generated"
usb.present = "TRUE"
ehci.present = "TRUE"
sound.present = "TRUE"
sound.fileName = "-1"
sound.autodetect = "TRUE"
pciBridge0.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge4.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge4.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge4.functions = "8"
pciBridge5.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge5.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge5.functions = "8"
pciBridge6.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge6.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge6.functions = "8"
pciBridge7.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge7.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge7.functions = "8"
vmci0.present = "TRUE"
roamingVM.exitBehavior = "go"
displayName = "FreeBSD"
guestOS = "darwin"
nvram = "FreeBSD 64-bit.nvram"
virtualHW.productCompatibility = "hosted"
extendedConfigFile = "FreeBSD 64-bit.vmxf"
ethernet0.generatedAddress = "00:0c:29:bd:20:0f"
tools.syncTime = "FALSE"
uuid.location = "56 4d 7d f0 84 2d 67 43-25 a6 19 4f 14 bd 20 0f"
uuid.bios = "56 4d 7d f0 84 2d 67 43-25 a6 19 4f 14 bd 20 0f"
cleanShutdown = "TRUE"
replay.supported = "FALSE"
replay.filename = ""
scsi0:0.redo = ""
pciBridge0.pciSlotNumber = "17"
pciBridge4.pciSlotNumber = "21"
pciBridge5.pciSlotNumber = "22"
pciBridge6.pciSlotNumber = "23"
pciBridge7.pciSlotNumber = "24"
scsi0.pciSlotNumber = "16"
usb.pciSlotNumber = "32"
ethernet0.pciSlotNumber = "33"
sound.pciSlotNumber = "34"
ehci.pciSlotNumber = "35"
vmci0.pciSlotNumber = "36"
vmotion.checkpointFBSize = "16777216"
ethernet0.generatedAddressOffset = "0"
vmci0.id = "347938831"
tools.remindInstall = "FALSE"

ich7m.present = "TRUE"
keyboard.vusb.enable = "FALSE"
mouse.vusb.enable = "TRUE"
usb:0.present = "TRUE"
usb:1.present = "TRUE"
usb:1.deviceType = "hub"
usb:0.deviceType = "mouse"
monitor.virtual_exec = "hardware"
monitor.virtual_mmu = "software"
ide1:0.startConnected = "TRUE"
disable_acceleration = "FALSE"
checkpoint.vmState = ""
vmi.present = "FALSE"
smc.present = "FALSE"

Log is here if it is not attached: http://rapidshare.com/files/318654679/vmware-2.log.html

My Vmware version is 7

Host OS is Windows 7

Host cpu is Intel Core 2 Quad, Q6600

My distro is X86

Version of Leopard is v10.6

.encoding = "windows-1252"
config.version = "8"
virtualHW.version = "7"
maxvcpus = "4"
scsi0.present = "TRUE"
scsi0.virtualDev = "lsilogic"
memsize = "2048"
scsi0:0.present = "TRUE"
scsi0:0.fileName = "FreeBSD 64-bit-000001.vmdk"
ide1:0.present = "TRUE"
ide1:0.fileName = "D:\Downloads\10.6_snowleopard_10a222_userdvd\10.6_snowleopard_10a222_userdvd.iso"
ide1:0.deviceType = "cdrom-image"
floppy0.startConnected = "FALSE"
floppy0.fileName = ""
floppy0.autodetect = "TRUE"
ethernet0.present = "TRUE"
ethernet0.connectionType = "nat"
ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"
ethernet0.wakeOnPcktRcv = "FALSE"
ethernet0.addressType = "generated"
usb.present = "TRUE"
ehci.present = "TRUE"
sound.present = "TRUE"
sound.fileName = "-1"
sound.autodetect = "TRUE"
pciBridge0.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge4.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge4.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge4.functions = "8"
pciBridge5.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge5.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge5.functions = "8"
pciBridge6.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge6.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge6.functions = "8"
pciBridge7.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge7.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge7.functions = "8"
vmci0.present = "TRUE"
roamingVM.exitBehavior = "go"
displayName = "FreeBSD"
guestOS = "darwin"
nvram = "FreeBSD 64-bit.nvram"
virtualHW.productCompatibility = "hosted"
extendedConfigFile = "FreeBSD 64-bit.vmxf"
ethernet0.generatedAddress = "00:0c:29:bd:20:0f"
tools.syncTime = "FALSE"
uuid.location = "56 4d 7d f0 84 2d 67 43-25 a6 19 4f 14 bd 20 0f"
uuid.bios = "56 4d 7d f0 84 2d 67 43-25 a6 19 4f 14 bd 20 0f"
cleanShutdown = "TRUE"
replay.supported = "FALSE"
replay.filename = ""
scsi0:0.redo = ""
pciBridge0.pciSlotNumber = "17"
pciBridge4.pciSlotNumber = "21"
pciBridge5.pciSlotNumber = "22"
pciBridge6.pciSlotNumber = "23"
pciBridge7.pciSlotNumber = "24"
scsi0.pciSlotNumber = "16"
usb.pciSlotNumber = "32"
ethernet0.pciSlotNumber = "33"
sound.pciSlotNumber = "34"
ehci.pciSlotNumber = "35"
vmci0.pciSlotNumber = "36"
vmotion.checkpointFBSize = "16777216"
ethernet0.generatedAddressOffset = "0"
vmci0.id = "347938831"
tools.remindInstall = "FALSE"

ich7m.present = "TRUE"
keyboard.vusb.enable = "FALSE"
mouse.vusb.enable = "TRUE"
usb:0.present = "TRUE"
usb:1.present = "TRUE"
usb:1.deviceType = "hub"
usb:0.deviceType = "mouse"
ide1:0.startConnected = "TRUE"
disable_acceleration = "FALSE"
checkpoint.vmState = ""
vmi.present = "FALSE"
smc.present = "FALSE"

Log is here if it is not attached: http://rapidshare.com/files/318654679/vmware-2.log.html

OK,

Couple of things in your .vmx file

guestOS = "darwin10" required for 32-Bit Snow Leopard (10.6)

also add the following sorts a lot of issues

everything else looks good in your .vmx file.

So couple of other things you have installed the darwin-200 zip with the modified snowy or wks7 darwin.iso update, and your SL image is a retail version, and provided you have enabled VT-X in you BIOS on your processor all should work.

Good luck!

I´ve been trying the other way around, to get win xp work as a guest in both fusion and virtual box. Sure it works ok with both these apps but there´s no way it works good enough for musicmaking. See I want to run the good old windows loop app Acid at the sam time as osx, make some cool loops in Acid and import to Logic. Can you guys do something like this, is it worth trying to run osx as guest instead of winxp if I want to be able to do something like this?

In VB I can´t even get sound at all, in fusion 3 I get sound out. I have a Saffire Pro 10 i/o soundcard.

Thanks

You need to give us way more infomration to help out! http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1189918

Totally agree... I need to provide a lot more for troubleshooting. I was just hoping someone could comment similar to "it will spin for 37 seconds". I was hoping to just keep trying various things because I am sure I my issues are all self-inflicted and easily resolved problems. I have tried so many things that I will start from scratch and document exactly what I do, then come back with that.

So is there absolutely none that makes music using from windows using VMvare with osx as guest ? Seems really strange cause being able to combine apps and/or use plugins that runs on only one platform in my mind would be a giant step ahead. Not to talk about video apps.

Well I can tell you that latest Parallels, osx 10.6 running Win XP as guest works pretty ok if you just playback music like from Sonic Foundrys good old Acid without any tweaks at all, recording is not so hot though. So far I managed to playback round 15 loops and a couple of real audio tracks without any problems, even got a few plugins loaded. VMvare Fusion honestly did´nt work so good for that I´m afraid.

OK,

Couple of things in your .vmx file

guestOS = "darwin10" required for 32-Bit Snow Leopard (10.6)

also add the following sorts a lot of issues

everything else looks good in your .vmx file.

So couple of other things you have installed the darwin-200 zip with the modified snowy or wks7 darwin.iso update, and your SL image is a retail version, and provided you have enabled VT-X in you BIOS on your processor all should work.

Good luck!

Thank you so much I have gotten to installation

See edited post

OK,

You do not need to boot the darwin.iso, if it is in your .vmx file i.e. guestOS = "darwin10" that is all that is needed, and you have that! Your OS X VM will read the .vmx guestOS entry and use the darwin.iso as the bootloader, thanks to the great work from Donk.

You need to update your .vmx with the following:

ich7m.present = "TRUE"

keyboard.vusb.enable = "TRUE" set to "FALSE" if you have keyboard issues

mouse.vusb.enable = "TRUE" set to "FALSE" if you have mouse issues

smc.present = "FALSE"

All should work fine, provided you have the correct darwin.iso installed, i.e. darwin-200 with snowy or wks7 update, your CPU supports VT-X and is set in the BIOS and you have used a retail copy of SL.

Zenith432 has some great enhanced audio and display drivers which work really well over at the following site, worth a look. Thanks Zenith432.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/vmsvga2/files/

Hope this helps! Cheers!