Help Munky get a MacBook Pro!

munky

273 posts in this topic

It shows how many referrals he needs on the first page of this thread

I meant how many referrals you need when you start a new account.

Or if you are talking about finding out how many referrals you need to get something you want, it's under the status page when you log into freemacs4me

Exactly, when you log in. What's the point by then? You might sign up and then find out you need 100 referrals to get a pen.

lol, dude i answered this a couple posts ago, and you even quoted me!

Dude I don't think my question was clear enough. I know you're going to take the cash. In the early stages of this thread it seemed like you were actually going to get the MBPs (hardware) then changed your mind into getting the MBs (hardware). It was only much later that I read about the cash. So I was wondering if you knew you were going to take the cash all along.

With Mash it seemed more or less the same. Hardware -> Cash by the end.

Sorry if you're repeating your self here dude but I haven’t been along the ride from the start and reading 9 Pages is too much. And I really can’t see myself using the search function to find out "does Munky want some cash". :)

AcePlayer

BTW let me know if any non-gambling offers for UK people like me come up so that I can help you out.

hi there.. yeah, i see the source of the confusion.

ok here's the deal:

i started working towards the MacBook Pro (which requires 11 referrals, btw). I was initially under the impression that free4me required one extra referral to ship to the UK (so, 12 total).

then, the macbook was released, and i realised that it would more than meet my needs - ie i didnt need the extra power of the pro. i thus decided to switch what i was aiming for down to the base macbook (8 referrals).

however, i then found out that free4me are no longer shipping outside the US, and only offer the cash. but due to the crappy US->UK exchance rate, getting the 8 referrals for the macbook would get me $1099, which is roughly £600. the base macbook in the UK is £749, so that wouldnt be enough. so finally i decided to go for the macbook pro (11 referrals) which will get me $1900, which is roughly £1000. i therefore plan to use that money to buy the base macbook (1.83Ghz white for £749), some extra RAM (1Gb at least, hopefully two) and put the rest into our home fund to be able to afford some nappies and baby food for this terrible wee {censored}e.

i hope this explains my train of thought over the last couple months, and i hope everyone can see i'm not just after some quick cash. the sale on ebay of my powerbook g4 should also prove that i'm serious about this. i NEED to replace that powerbook, and I *WILL* be purchasing the macbook as soon as i can. i will post unpacking pr0n for the forum to witness. i will NOT take the money and run, you can beleive me on that one.

regards

le munky

Well, even if he did just want the cash, he's paid back everyone who has helped him out. So it's not like he's taken us for a ride or anything.

On another note, I got to see the MacBook today. Nice, I didn't mind the glossy screen either. Keyboard was odd, but I'm sure once you get used to it it's fine. It was white, er, caucasian, and therefore couldn't dance, but it was still neat to see. I would buy one.

=)

thanks for the support john :D

i have still yet to see a macbook in the flesh (no applestores nearby). it would be quite nice, in a way, for the first one i see to be MY one :D

If my work had not bought me a MBP, a MacBook would be on my short shopping list. Probably black, as the white ones look like kitchen appliances to me. 13" felt just right, sometimes the 15" Pro is just too big. I was seriously impressed.

I hope the string of issues they have are temporary and rare, because these machines have potential. A Core Solo model at $900 would also kick some serious ass for casual users... (and subsequently take over the world!!!!) When will they learn?

=)

Munky thanks for spelling it out. I just feel a lot more comfortable knowing it. And I don't take you for the type of guy that going to run off so I have no worries there. And even if you did, well you've paid everyone back so all is fair anyway. I just prefer you honestly in that with Mash it 'might' help the project but you just want one. This is cool by me.

John the Geek sounds like you're defending Munky and there's no need here. Take it easy

Has anyone noticed that the White Macbooks have a glossy exterior where as the Black Macbooks have a more of a dull exterior. Think it would have been much better if it was also Glossy. In it current dull look think more scratches would stand out than on the W MB. But then again on the W MB the dirt stands out from a mile away. So GOOD-BAD on both sides.

Gives you some idea of what i mean. Can't really see it clearly.

Munky I thought the nappies were for you (Munky aka Monkey). Cute little baby.

AcePlayer

John the Geek sounds like you're defending Munky and there's no need here. Take it easy

Nope, just offering clarification. I would hate for there to be any misunderstanding. :D Sorry about that. Just my experiences there.

The white ones are glossy exterior, like the iBooks were. The black ones are the same, but with a matte finish sprayed on. I would have preferred to see the plastic molded as matte from the start, but the same mold probably presses both cases. Still, it would keep the matte finish from chipping off the black ones. And for an extra $150, I would expect a separate mold for a different textured case.

If they were glossy they'd show scratches too easily like the black iPods do. So it's lose/lose there.

=)

ungh. i'm now torn between the following options:

1) get macbook, keep hackintosh.

2) sell hackintosh, get macbook pro

3) sell hackintosh and camera, get macbook and new camera

any opinions? (i'm quite heavily into photography, so Aperture (and having a nice camera) is important). but selling the hackintosh means the laptop has to be my desktop replacement.

thanks for the support john :angel:

i have still yet to see a macbook in the flesh (no applestores nearby). it would be quite nice, in a way, for the first one i see to be MY one :D

if you can't wait for your one to be the first one you see, PC World in the UK have got the MBs...although the black one I saw seemed to be a little ...um...careworn.

//R

munky

1) get macbook, keep hackintosh.

it's my choice

i have now a 100% hackintosh and planned get a macbook in future.

book cant' replace desctop at home (my opinion)

big screen , big storage.. is a main point.

and macbook can be a good addition, but can't replace a main computer for me.

What are your needs?

The MB vs MBP is an easy one. 3D video or not?

Desktop Vs Laptop? Depends on the power you need. A desktop will smoke a laptop every time, but if portability is more important than speed? It's all your call.

=)

To be honest, my thinking is that I don't have the time for a desktop. I dont have the time where I can physically be at my desk for hours. However, with a laptop, I can grab it wherever I am, whenever I find I have a spare 5 mins I can continue with photo processing or whatever. So my hackintosh is kinda sitting idle, and I hate to see hardware doing nothing but lose value ;)

If I sell my desktop, I want the replacement to be a desktop-replacement kinda machine. That means dedicated gfx, so that means MBP.

However, I *really* like the form factor of the MB, the size (except the lower screen resolution) and the increased robustness of the casing etc.

Basically, if there was a 13''-14'' MacBook with dedicated gfx (say an X1400) with a high enough screen res, that would be perfect. Apple are you listening? ;)

Maybe thats what they will do with their supposed 15.4 inch macbook model.

I'm using their "suposed" 15.4" MacBook. It's called MacBook Pro.

It's pretty clear that Apple's done away away with the laptop overlap. I regret the loss of the smaller Pro model myself.

Munky, can any of these referrals be done by a paypal account. That would be far esier for me. I cant get my dad to gimme his credit card

Sadly not. I think you'll need at least a debit card. Anyone know better? Maybe there are three offers which can be done via Firepay or similar?

Firepay is not in India. Though Munky if u gimme ur firepay account, I will be glad to do it for ya.