[How To] Install Mac OS X 10.5.6 on Acer Aspire 6920g

les_paulde

152 posts in this topic

Hi, I do not find this kexts_to_merge folder. I guess it should be in this 6920g_drivers.zip ?

Or where can I find it?

greets

chris

Hi Chris,

the kext files are located within the zip file. Open the zip file, you will find a 6920g_drivers folder, in which the 'all kexts' folder is located. kexts_to_merge was an old folder i used but forgot to change one last instance of kexts_to_merge in the tutorial. All should be correct now...

Good luck! :huh:

great thanks. I got it run now.

I have leopard since nearly one year on my acer. but without sound it was useless.

now its amazing. thank you a lot.

also sometimes it looks i have to start the sound.sh manualy and it does not come recognized to do by startup. i made as described. but do i have to tell sleepwatcher to start the script or is this autom. done already by the /etc/rc.xxx file *forgot the name right now :angel:

also the lan driver you placed in the archiv does not work. right now i work wity my msi usb wifi adapter. is there anything else i have to do to activate the lan adapter you placed in the archive.

i placed it in the "pack" of the mkextool and when i look 'unpack" its also there, but leopard does not recognize it.

thanks chris

Hi Chris,

the kext files are located within the zip file. Open the zip file, you will find a 6920g_drivers folder, in which the 'all kexts' folder is located. kexts_to_merge was an old folder i used but forgot to change one last instance of kexts_to_merge in the tutorial. All should be correct now...

Good luck! :)

Just to let you know:

I use a MSI US54SE II USB Wireless Adapter and it works very well with me!

and from now i am nearly forgetting vista.. its great ... i guess my next system

will be a macbook air. this now is still a transforming from microsoft (since 20 years)

to apple ;)

chris

btw.. how is you progress with this 2 finger scrolling. I would love to zoom, rotate pics with two fingers.

hope you can do also an same easy installation guide as you did here!

great work... i respect this.

chris

Hi there!!

I have 6935G (almost like 6920G). After I did things in your tutorial, everything look fine. I got volume control but have no sound. I did try to run sound.sh manually in terminal. I got some error message like reggie_se[578:a0b]_CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error:35

Any idea for fix this error? Please help!! Thank you.

Please apologize my delayed reply. I was swamped with work these last couple of days so I didnt get around to much (m)hacking... ;)

also sometimes it looks i have to start the sound.sh manualy and it does not come recognized to do by startup. i made as described. but do i have to tell sleepwatcher to start the script or is this autom. done already by the /etc/rc.xxx file *forgot the name right now :)

Strange, as when the rc.wakeup file contains the sound.sh script, and this script is placed in the right location, I believe it to run the script even on the first bootup. In any case I've had my sound working properly ever since and I barely ever boot into vista anymore. Did you give it the correct permissions to load at startup? ("sudo CHMOD" and "sudo CHOWN")

also the lan driver you placed in the archiv does not work. right now i work wity my msi usb wifi adapter. is there anything else i have to do to activate the lan adapter you placed in the archive.

i placed it in the "pack" of the mkextool and when i look 'unpack" its also there, but leopard does not recognize it.

I've looked into this as well now. I hadnt been using the latest kext myself either as I had everything set up with the older one (including sleep workaround), and now that I've tried the new kext, I seem to be having the same problem. Not that this makes any sense to me, as our ethernet chips havent changed, but it would certainly be interesting to find out if there are significant differences between the two drivers. I will post the older one again with instructions in the tutorial shortly so that you can enjoy your ethernet as well.

btw.. how is you progress with this 2 finger scrolling. I would love to zoom, rotate pics with two fingers.

I'm glad you asked! :D I think I've gotten it working to the point where I'm using it quite comfortably, but it is still far from perfect! It will scroll very nicely, but I cannot tap the trackpad for a mouseclick, nor can the 2 finger scrolling be used for zooming (except for CTRL + scroll) or picture rotating. Also, sometimes its a bit too sensitive that it scrolls unintentionally, but I found that scrolling alone is already a major improvement. I will update the tutorial for this as well, then hopefully others can have a look at optimizing the settings for our laptop as well, to make it as perfect as possible!

Thanks also for listing your wifi dongle, may come in handy for someone. I'm still stuck trying to replace my intel 4965 with the gigabyte aircruiser, and I'm getting really annoyed. The screws are made from really weak material, so the philips head got destroyed by my screwdriver before I could have even realized. Now I cant get the second screw out and cant replace the card. Does anybody have some tips perhaps how to get this out as indestructively as possible? (I'm now gonna try glueing a screwdriver inside the screw to hopefully be able to get it out...)

@les_paulde

Could you get DSDT of Aspire 6920g? Thank you for your time.

Yeah I would be more than happy to, but unfortunately I dont know how to do this. If you could give me a link perhaps to a how-to, I will get right to it! :D

@les_paulde

This is a link to DSDT Patcher by fassl. http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=133683

I want to see how your 6920g can get HDA working.

thanks for the link! I tried to run the patcher to get the dsdt.aml file, but it gives me more than 200 errors. All i have to do is run the patcher, select darwin (for OSX) and wait for the process to complete no? please tell me if I'm doing something wrong!

cheers

thanks for the link! I tried to run the patcher to get the dsdt.aml file, but it gives me more than 200 errors. All i have to do is run the patcher, select darwin (for OSX) and wait for the process to complete no? please tell me if I'm doing something wrong!

cheers

@les_paulde

I have no idea about the errors you got, and you may ask fassl. There is another way is getting dsdt dump from Linux. However, you have to install Linux on a harddisk. You cannot get dsdt dump if you're running a live cd. I tried to get dsdt dump from a live ubuntu cd but I could not get it. I have to install (ubuntu) Linux on a harddisk.

CODEsudo cat /proc/acpi/dsdt > dsdt.dat[/code]

If you don't have Linux installed on a harddisk, you don't have to do so.

There are a lot of acer dsdt dump but it does not have 6920g dsdt. You can see this http://code.google.com/p/aceracpi/source/b...unk/dsdt/?r=345.

Thank you very much for your time.

So are you using iDeneb 1.4 or XxX_x86_10.5.6_Install_Disc_Universal_Final.v2? Are they essentially the same thing?

I was always under the impression they were the same thing, but please correct me if I'm wrong. I would just go for the XxX_x86_10.5.6_Install_Disc_Universal_Final.v2 version, then you can be certain you're using the same one.

Oh and tmongkol, please find attached my dsdt.dat file, hope it can help you! Thanks a lot for wanting to look into this, would be very nice to get sound to run via HDA! :offtopic:

dsdt.dat.zip

Oh and tmongkol, please find attached my dsdt.dat file, hope it can help you! Thanks a lot for wanting to look into this, would be very nice to get sound to run via HDA! :)

@les_paulde

Thank you very much for your dsdt.dat.

I just got a 6920g and want OSX on it!

I know you said you won't get into how you dual-booted vista and osx, but as a complete noob to installing mac on a pc I would love to know how you did it. I have dual booted vista and xp, vista and windows 7, but never osx. I searched on how to do it, but there are many many ways. This way, I will know it will work for sure since yours works!

I would LOVE to get OSX working on my 6920g, with a vista dual-boot only as I need some things (like the 6 in 1 card reader).

Any help would be much appreciated, as your tutorial is EXCELLENT and gives me the confidence to do this.

First off great work on the tutorial, hopefully in a week or so I will finally have some time to go through and try it out.

So anyway my question was about getting the wireless working under OSX. Your tutorial said that you were waiting on the Gigabyte Aircruiser to get in and then post an update and was curious if you managed to get that or the Intel wireless working? I checked through the posts and didn't see much and since I use wireless a lot I was hoping that it would work. thanks.

I just got a 6920g and want OSX on it!

I know you said you won't get into how you dual-booted vista and osx, but as a complete noob to installing mac on a pc I would love to know how you did it. I have dual booted vista and xp, vista and windows 7, but never osx. I searched on how to do it, but there are many many ways. This way, I will know it will work for sure since yours works!

I would LOVE to get OSX working on my 6920g, with a vista dual-boot only as I need some things (like the 6 in 1 card reader).

Any help would be much appreciated, as your tutorial is EXCELLENT and gives me the confidence to do this.

hey man, congrats on getting that 6920g, it's an excellent laptop thats served me very well so far! :D

I suppose I could give you a nudge in the right direction:

First of all, you need to understand about active and inactive partitions. For example, I have my HDD partitioned as follows:

• 1st partition is 20gb partition for OSX (mac extended journaled)
  • 2nd partition is 120gb partition for Vista (NTFS)
  • 3rd partition is 180gb as storage (NTFS).

My vista bootloader is located on the 2nd partition, while the OSX bootloader (Darwin) is located on the 1st partition. When I mark the 1st partition as active, the computer will use the OSX bootloader, and vice versa when I mark the 2nd partition as active, I boot using the Vista bootloader. This marking I do using a partition manager, most should do this... This means that when you use the OSX bootloader, it will select OSX as your primary system (which I'm using right now) and I havent found a way to change the order in this bootloader. Therefore, if you wanna boot vista by default and merely have the option to use osx, you'll have to use the Vista bootloader. This means you will have to mark the 2nd partition as active and make changes to the vista bootloader while in windows. This works as follows:

1. Boot into Vista. Copy the chain0 file from the Leopard DVD to C:

2. Go to start, press run and run 'cmd'. (or press windows button + r, then execute cmd.

Type the following into the prompt bcdedit /copy {current} /d “Mac OS X”

bcdedit /enum active

bcdedit /set {GUID} PATH \chain0

(In the first command type {current} as it is, literally..nothing else..just {current} with the brackets. In the 3rd command however, replace the {GUID} with the alphanumeric GUID you see in the enumerated list under MAC OS X. You can see this list on your terminal as soon as you type the 2nd command above.)

This did the trick for me, good luck! :)

First off great work on the tutorial, hopefully in a week or so I will finally have some time to go through and try it out.

So anyway my question was about getting the wireless working under OSX. Your tutorial said that you were waiting on the Gigabyte Aircruiser to get in and then post an update and was curious if you managed to get that or the Intel wireless working? I checked through the posts and didn't see much and since I use wireless a lot I was hoping that it would work. thanks.

:P Hmm, don't even get me started!

:D No, just kidding. Its just that I've been getting extremely annoyed with trying to swap the card as I can't undo one of the screws. Basically, one of the screws has been loctite'd, meaning it's quite difficult to unscrew. The metal of the screw is quite weak, so my first attempt at opening it stripped the screw head. After having tried a few things (grip paste that should enhance contact, failed. Also tried superglueing a screwdriver in but this just doesnt have the grip needed), I now ordered the Eazypower 82681 Spin It Out Screw Remover set which will hopefully finally get the job done. Will definitely post my results!

Oh, and I've added the 2-finger scrolling part to the tutorial, hopefully everyone will like it! :(

great stuff with the tutorial and i have loaded os x on my lappy now with full screen (which i could not get with kalyway). however, after following your instructions, i still have no sound. when i try to run the sound.sh manually i get the error

"2009-05-06 02:53:23.611 reggie_se[936:a0b] _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

ERROR: unknown device type specified: "PhysAddr"

To read a register:

reggie_se -r [-d devclass] [-D devname] [-i index [-e index]] [-v] -n register_name...."

then same man help for each line in the script. why is device type unknown? have i missed something?sound.sh script file contains:

sudo reggie_se -D PhysAddr -w 0x01470500 -a 0xfc300060 -B 32

sudo reggie_se -D PhysAddr -w 1 -a 0xfc300068 -B 32

sudo reggie_se -D PhysAddr -w 0x014707c0 -a 0xfc300060 -B 32

sudo reggie_se -D PhysAddr -w 0x01470c02 -a 0xfc300060 -B 32

hey man, congrats on getting that 6920g, it's an excellent laptop thats served me very well so far! :D

I suppose I could give you a nudge in the right direction:

First of all, you need to understand about active and inactive partitions. For example, I have my HDD partitioned as follows:

• 1st partition is 20gb partition for OSX (mac extended journaled)
  • 2nd partition is 120gb partition for Vista (NTFS)
  • 3rd partition is 180gb as storage (NTFS).

My vista bootloader is located on the 2nd partition, while the OSX bootloader (Darwin) is located on the 1st partition. When I mark the 1st partition as active, the computer will use the OSX bootloader, and vice versa when I mark the 2nd partition as active, I boot using the Vista bootloader. This marking I do using a partition manager, most should do this... This means that when you use the OSX bootloader, it will select OSX as your primary system (which I'm using right now) and I havent found a way to change the order in this bootloader. Therefore, if you wanna boot vista by default and merely have the option to use osx, you'll have to use the Vista bootloader. This means you will have to mark the 2nd partition as active and make changes to the vista bootloader while in windows. This works as follows:

1. Boot into Vista. Copy the chain0 file from the Leopard DVD to C:

2. Go to start, press run and run 'cmd'. (or press windows button + r, then execute cmd.

Type the following into the prompt bcdedit /copy {current} /d "Mac OS X"

bcdedit /enum active

bcdedit /set {GUID} PATH \chain0

(In the first command type {current} as it is, literally..nothing else..just {current} with the brackets. In the 3rd command however, replace the {GUID} with the alphanumeric GUID you see in the enumerated list under MAC OS X. You can see this list on your terminal as soon as you type the 2nd command above.)

This did the trick for me, good luck! :)

:) Hmm, don't even get me started!

:D No, just kidding. Its just that I've been getting extremely annoyed with trying to swap the card as I can't undo one of the screws. Basically, one of the screws has been loctite'd, meaning it's quite difficult to unscrew. The metal of the screw is quite weak, so my first attempt at opening it stripped the screw head. After having tried a few things (grip paste that should enhance contact, failed. Also tried superglueing a screwdriver in but this just doesnt have the grip needed), I now ordered the Eazypower 82681 Spin It Out Screw Remover set which will hopefully finally get the job done. Will definitely post my results!

Oh, and I've added the 2-finger scrolling part to the tutorial, hopefully everyone will like it! ;)

alright thank you VERY much for the little tutorial for dual-booting!!!

So, if I understand this correctly, using the Vista partition as active and following your cmd instructions, I will have the regular multi boot screen when I start up my laptop and can choose which OS to boot?

Basically, I am looking for the EASIEST way to be able to choose which OS i want to boot at startup.

So, if I understand this correctly, using the Vista partition as active and following your cmd instructions, I will have the regular multi boot screen when I start up my laptop and can choose which OS to boot?

Basically, I am looking for the EASIEST way to be able to choose which OS i want to boot at startup.

Then this would indeed be your easiest solution, yes! ;) Do note that the OSX installation marks your osx partition as active, as soon as you put your windows partition on active again, you will see your good ol' vista bootloader. Then follow the cmd instructions and next time you'll have two choices in the bootloader.

let me know if it worked out, good luck! :wacko:

great stuff with the tutorial and i have loaded os x on my lappy now with full screen (which i could not get with kalyway). however, after following your instructions, i still have no sound. when i try to run the sound.sh manually i get the error

"2009-05-06 02:53:23.611 reggie_se[936:a0b] _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

ERROR: unknown device type specified: "PhysAddr"

To read a register:

reggie_se -r [-d devclass] [-D devname] [-i index [-e index]] [-v] -n register_name...."

then same man help for each line in the script. why is device type unknown? have i missed something?sound.sh script file contains:

sudo reggie_se -D PhysAddr -w 0x01470500 -a 0xfc300060 -B 32

sudo reggie_se -D PhysAddr -w 0x014707c0 -a 0xfc300060 -B 32

sudo reggie_se -D PhysAddr -w 0x01470c02 -a 0xfc300060 -B 32

Man, I wish I could help you with this one. All I can ask is do you have CHUD tools installed? Should be a ~40mb download I thought... if you do then I'm afraid this is beyond me. perhaps DPyro might have a clue? Whats your exact laptop model nr? Perhaps there is a slight variation within the 6920g class...

Okay!!! I did it!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

just having some trouble with this step...

"inside the rc.wakeup file, and replace 'erv' with your own username. Then by replacing the file rc.wakeup (located in /etc/)* with the one you just edited, we can tell sleepwatcher to execute the script, and you'll find that sound will now keep working! Congratulations, you've just successfully applied scripts to make your Hackbook pretty much fully functional! biggrin.gif

Network card sleep fix:

If you used the older version of the network driver, it will stop working after you put the computer to sleep. To solve this do as follows: After having installed sleepwatcher, copy the file ethernet_reload.sh from the network driver package to the following folder: /Users/user1/ (user1 being your own username).

Then to make the scripts executable, browse to the folder /Users/user1/ using the terminal again. Then type and execute the following lines:

sudo chmod +x ethernet_reload.sh

sudo chown root ethernet_reload.sh

Then tell sleepwatcher to run this script each time the computer wakes up (which includes bootup). First edit the included rc.wakeup file in order to set your user directory correctly, then replace the rc.wakeup file (located in /etc/)* with the one you've just edited. This version of rc.wakeup will tell sleepwatcher to execute both the ethernet_reload.sh script and the sound.sh script used above. If for some reason you do not want to include the sound.sh script, just remove that line from wakeup.rc before replacing it"

I'm specifically confused by what you mean when you say "Then by replacing the file rc.wakeup (located in /etc/)* with the one you just edited, we can tell sleepwatcher to execute the script, and you'll find that sound will now keep working!"

where is /etc/? I only have one rc.wakeup file I think...

I did everything except replace the file in /etc/ and I don't have sound

Okay!!! I did it!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

just having some trouble with this step...

"inside the rc.wakeup file, and replace 'erv' with your own username. Then by replacing the file rc.wakeup (located in /etc/)* with the one you just edited, we can tell sleepwatcher to execute the script, and you'll find that sound will now keep working! Congratulations, you've just successfully applied scripts to make your Hackbook pretty much fully functional! biggrin.gif

I'm specifically confused by what you mean when you say "Then by replacing the file rc.wakeup (located in /etc/)* with the one you just edited, we can tell sleepwatcher to execute the script, and you'll find that sound will now keep working!"

where is /etc/? I only have one rc.wakeup file I think...

I did everything except replace the file in /etc/ and I don't have sound

please check the footnote at the end of my first post. it explains how you can make your /etc/ folder visible as it is hidden by default. Once you copied your edited rc.wakeup file into this folder, sleepwatcher can find it and run it each time your computer wakes up.

awesome! thank you very much! sorry for the dumb question lol, I guess I was too stubborn to scroll down further without completing a step.

1 last question, is it safe to update software using the software update? (either the one that comes with osx or the one that was included with iDeneb?)

I'm more concerned about things like the security updates

hehe no worries mate, maybe I'll move that instruction into the actual steps just to make sure it's impossible to miss... ;) But so your sound works properly now as well?

Regarding the updates, I did try to install most of them during one of my tryouts and didn't notice any problems, but I'm not 100% sure on that. I would say don't bother unless you really have to, but perhaps other users have a different opinion on this?

awesome! thank you very much! sorry for the dumb question lol, I guess I was too stubborn to scroll down further without completing a step.

1 last question, is it safe to update software using the software update? (either the one that comes with osx or the one that was included with iDeneb?)

I'm more concerned about things like the security updates

Yes, sound is working flawlessly now, I love it.

I just wanted to thank you again for your amazing help and prompt responses to my dumb questions haha.

Maybe I'll pass on the software updates for now since everything is working great, and just get around them by uninstalling old itunes/safari and downloading the new versions straight from the apple website. Unless more people have any input on this?

well, its good to hear that others are working ok. i have downloaded a later version of CHUD 4.6.1 ( i had 4.4.4) so at least that has the PhysAddr command option but still get the message reggie_se[936:a0b] _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

when i run sound from the terminal.

i have sleepwatcher 2.0.5, is that latest? how can i check that it is running ok?