[How To] Install Mac OS X 10.5.6 on Acer Aspire 6920g

les_paulde

152 posts in this topic

after much googling, i think UUID problem is because i dont have a /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist. which could be because my network card was not recognised with the new drivers. i can remove the new network driver from the 'extensions.mkext' but how do i use the ethernet_pkg.zip? (ie. the original drivers)

also, can any one up a copy of NetworkInterfaces.plist from a 6920G to check?

so close, and yet so far.......

after much googling, i think UUID problem is because i dont have a /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist. which could be because my network card was not recognised with the new drivers. i can remove the new network driver from the 'extensions.mkext' but how do i use the ethernet_pkg.zip? (ie. the original drivers)

also, can any one up a copy of NetworkInterfaces.plist from a 6920G to check?

so close, and yet so far.......

the ethernet_pkg.zip is explained in the tutorial (all it requires is to run the installrelease.sh file in the terminal, then to solve the sleep problem follow the steps under sleepwatcher), so after you remove the new driver kext from your extensions.mkext file, you can install the old driver package.

I've attached my networkinterfaces.plist file, hope it helps although I'm pretty convinced you can get your ethernet to run with the pkg. Let me know if it worked! I hope this solves your UUID problem which is very weird!

NetworkInterfaces.plist.zip

Not sure if this will be of any help to you but after I installed OSX I had issues with the ethernet not working ever after following both methods listed in the tutorial. After some searching I grabbed the kext driver listed here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversi...hp/t140907.html

And then used Kext Helper to install it. After a reboot it worked like a charm, however you still have to figure out something for when it goes to sleep. Hope that helps.

just a note to others, i updated quicktime through software update and that screwed up my msn messenger, quicktime, and itunes. they wouldnt start.

the way to fix it was to use appcleaner to remove them ALL, download all the newest versions from apple site, and reboot.

im definitely never updating with software update again. only itunes update worked properly

Not sure if this will be of any help to you but after I installed OSX I had issues with the ethernet not working ever after following both methods listed in the tutorial. After some searching I grabbed the kext driver listed here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversi...hp/t140907.html

And then used Kext Helper to install it. After a reboot it worked like a charm, however you still have to figure out something for when it goes to sleep. Hope that helps.

I think thats the same driver that I included in my original driver package. ;) Did you use the latest version? I believe that one is supposed to have solved the sleep issue. I'm still using the older version of that driver with the ethernet_reload.sh script to reload the driver upon wakeup. Maybe I'll have another go at trying to install the newer version with kexthelper, thanks for sharing this!

just a note to others, i updated quicktime through software update and that screwed up my msn messenger, quicktime, and itunes. they wouldnt start.

the way to fix it was to use appcleaner to remove them ALL, download all the newest versions from apple site, and reboot.

im definitely never updating with software update again. only itunes update worked properly

Strange man, I decided to try to run the updates as well last night, and chose to install all the updates except for the security one. Did you by any chance install the security patch as well? From what I remember, mine updated Quicktime, iTunes, Java and Airport succesfully...

Oh and on another note, I've made some progress regarding the wireless:

By using the easy-out screw remover set, it was a breeze to get the screw out! :D I really highly recommend this to anyone as they really are the only way to remove stripped screws without damaging anything.

Anyway, after instaling the new mini pci-e card, both OSX and Vista would not allow me to go online. Turns out Acer is blocking us from using a different wireless card and basically that means that the kill-switch keeps the radio turned off. Luckily though, there are others out there with the same problem and it turns out that pin 20 on the connector is responsible for turning off the radio. If you put a piece of tape over pin 20 (check this thread for more info: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=56015), you basically put the wireless card in an 'always on' state and the card started working in Vista.

Unfortunately, in my excitement about finding a cheap deal on the aircruiser n300, i ordered the wrong one. :P It turns out there are two versions, and I wrongly ordered the GN-WS30N-RH version with the Ralink RT2800 chipset. This one is not supported by OSX, as we need the one with the Atheros AR5008 chipset. The corresponding Aircruiser n300 version is GN-WI06N-RH, so this is the one we need! I ordered it off oxfordtec, so I'm hoping it will be here before the end of the week and I will let you guys know if the rumours are true! The only downside is that the first one I bought was only 25 bucks and the one we need costs 50 incl. shipping... :( But oh well, I managed to sell the other one already so at least I don't have to pay for both... :D

Oh and on another note, I've made some progress regarding the wireless:

By using the easy-out screw remover set, it was a breeze to get the screw out! :D I really highly recommend this to anyone as they really are the only way to remove stripped screws without damaging anything.

Anyway, after instaling the new mini pci-e card, both OSX and Vista would not allow me to go online. Turns out Acer is blocking us from using a different wireless card and basically that means that the kill-switch keeps the radio turned off. Luckily though, there are others out there with the same problem and it turns out that pin 20 on the connector is responsible for turning off the radio. If you put a piece of tape over pin 20 (check this thread for more info: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=56015), you basically put the wireless card in an 'always on' state and the card started working in Vista.

Unfortunately, in my excitement about finding a cheap deal on the aircruiser n300, i ordered the wrong one. :) It turns out there are two versions, and I wrongly ordered the GN-WS30N-RH version with the Ralink RT2800 chipset. This one is not supported by OSX, as we need the one with the Atheros AR5008 chipset. The corresponding Aircruiser n300 version is GN-WI06N-RH, so this is the one we need! I ordered it off oxfordtec, so I'm hoping it will be here before the end of the week and I will let you guys know if the rumours are true! The only downside is that the first one I bought was only 25 bucks and the one we need costs 50 incl. shipping... :( But oh well, I managed to sell the other one already so at least I don't have to pay for both... :D

Thanks for the update on the wireless. Hopefully you can get it to work as I am about 2 weeks from deciding to buy either the replacement internal wireless card or just buying a USB one. Personally i'd prefer the internal one, less things hanging off the side of my laptop the better really.

thanks for replies guys. after much googling again seems like macs (even real ones) have many various obscure problems if they cannot see any network cards. with chud 4.6.1 now (for PhysAddr option) and ethernet_pkg i have a NetworkInterfaces.plist and ethernet on en0 and the UUID messages have gone. i can also manually run the sound.sh with no errors :thumbsup_anim: however, still no sound :) , in the sys info it says i have Intel HDA, Divice ID: 0x10250146 (should be 0x10EC0889 i think), Audio ID:12, Available Devices: 'blank' and cannot use volume sliders. i must be really close now :whistle:

when i first start up just before apple screen, i have text saying 'starting hibernate', 'SleepImage has garbage' 'hibernate failed' 'Loading Darwin/x86' EDIT: found out i just have to just delete SleepImage and disable hibernate

maybe reinstall again later :censored2:

oh, and my model is 6920G-834G32Bn if some kind soul can do a quick check

sorry for bump: what do you see in sys info? on initial install do you have any sound card listed at all?

Strange man, I decided to try to run the updates as well last night, and chose to install all the updates except for the security one. Did you by any chance install the security patch as well? From what I remember, mine updated Quicktime, iTunes, Java and Airport succesfully...

I didn't install the security patch, I'd like to but I don't want to be the one to bite the bullet lol. Which software update did you use? In my iDeneb patched install I have 2 software updates. One from Apple, and another that has been developed to work on hackintoshes. I only tried the other one for hackintoshes.

On another note, 10.5.7 is out today! I doubt that update will work... lol

I can start up into my mac when I have my installation disc inside my dvd drive, but when I take it out and start the laptop, it shows

boot0: error

I googled about it and found out it was about the active partition thing, so I made my partition active by doing the fdisk method, but in the end I got this

boot0: MBR

boot0: Done

Anyone has this problem? How do I go about solving it?

Also, I can't get the sound to work! ):

I did the whole installing process three times and it still doesn't seem to work.

I don't even see the sound icon on the top bar and when I check sound under system preference it doesn't show any output device. Is it supposed to be like that?

Thanks for this guide anyway!

• 2 weeks later...

hi, ok, sound is working now :D:hysterical: downloaded another version of iDeneb, this time with the .V2 (which i didnt notice before) and all is well. i have a feeling that sometime i had a folder called /extras (not /extra) which didnt help :unsure:

any update on a wireless solution? built in would be nice (could put another pcie card in) otherwise whats best bet for usb?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, sorry that I havent replied in a while. I'm in the middle of graduating from University and on top of that I have been struggling a lot with the new mini pci-e wireless cards and was hoping I could immediately post something positive, but alas... :( I received the new Aircruiser N300 (dual band), and although I could see it under System Profiler after replacing the PCMCIAFamily.kext with Chan-nun's version, there was no way I could get the driver to install and airport to recognize it. Thinking it was something with the subvendor ids, I attempted to reflash under linux but to no avail. So I gave up and ordered the Apple BCM94321MC wireless N card from ebay, based on the broadcom 4321 chipset. After building it in, I couldnt even get it to work under Vista or Linux, so I'm afraid I received a faulty card. I'm now in the RMA process, but I will be sure to let you guys know once I have it back. This is a native Apple card so should really work but I'm starting to lose hope a bit, as the 2nd aircruiser n300 I had was supposed to work according to some people on the forums... :( But we'll see.

I can start up into my mac when I have my installation disc inside my dvd drive, but when I take it out and start the laptop, it shows

boot0: error

I googled about it and found out it was about the active partition thing, so I made my partition active by doing the fdisk method, but in the end I got this

boot0: MBR

boot0: Done

Anyone has this problem? How do I go about solving it?

Strange man, did you try setting the partition to active prior to installing OSX? Are you using the EFIv9 bootloader?

Also, I can't get the sound to work! ):

I did the whole installing process three times and it still doesn't seem to work.

I don't even see the sound icon on the top bar and when I check sound under system preference it doesn't show any output device. Is it supposed to be like that?

Thanks for this guide anyway!

This is normal, just follow the steps in the tutorial and make sure you have iDeneb v2, and your sound will work! :D

hi, ok, sound is working now :D:) downloaded another version of iDeneb, this time with the .V2 (which i didnt notice before) and all is well. i have a feeling that sometime i had a folder called /extras (not /extra) which didnt help :)

any update on a wireless solution? built in would be nice (could put another pcie card in) otherwise whats best bet for usb?

Great news mate, glad to hear you sorted it out! Thanks for sharing the info that this trick does not work on v1 of iDeneb, I wonder what changed between the two versions!

USB wireless I'm not sure, I guess you'll need to search the forums for that, but I'll be sure to let you know once I know more about the internal cards. If you do end up finding a wireless N usb stick, I'd be interested to find out nonetheless though! (might keep me sane if I really can't get the internal one to work... ;) )

cheers for update, having googled for many hours i just ordered a DELL DW 1490 Broadcom Wireless WiFi WLAN Card off flea-bay and hoping that i can get that to work. as for usb, i read somewhere that

1103881312676464_1.jpgLinksys WUSB54GC Compact WirelessG USB Network Adapter also available from flea-bay worked well as a simple solution. that may be the next step although really dont want a seperate stick

i still have to manually run sound.sh each time i restart my lappy, how can i check that sleepwatcher is running at startup (i dont think it is)

PS. can i add that the ExpressCard worked perfect for my 4 usb port card. just pluged in, thats all.

cheers for update, having googled for many hours i just ordered a DELL DW 1490 Broadcom Wireless WiFi WLAN Card off flea-bay and hoping that i can get that to work.

cool man, let us know if it works! I'm still awaiting the exchange but hope to have news soon...

i still have to manually run sound.sh each time i restart my lappy, how can i check that sleepwatcher is running at startup (i dont think it is)

Since I was playing around so much with reinstalling mac in order to get the wireless to work, I've finally attempted setting up a stable, fully working system again, and I was also running into problems with Sleepwatcher.

EDIT: I think I have it solved though, but before I change the tutorial I was hoping you could maybe try this out. :hysterical:

I figured out that rc.wakeup does not require any editing, so please make sure you have installed a clean version of sleepwatcher (including the startup daemon). The startup daemon will execute a script called .wakeup under /Users/your-user-name as soon as the computer wakes from sleep. So please try the following:

under terminal, type the following:

nano -w /Users/your-user-name/.wakeup

when you're there, copy & paste the following:

#Begin wakeup script

#!/bin/sh

sudo reggie_se -D PhysAddr -w 0x01470500 -a 0xfc300060 -B 32

sudo reggie_se -D PhysAddr -w 1 -a 0xfc300068 -B 32

sudo reggie_se -D PhysAddr -w 0x014707c0 -a 0xfc300060 -B 32

sudo reggie_se -D PhysAddr -w 0x01470c02 -a 0xfc300060 -B 32

#End wakeup script

Then exit (control + x), confirm saving and confirm the file name.

Then you have to make .wakeup executable by running the following command

sudo chmod +x .wakeup

This is supposed to run everytime you startup your computer or wake it from sleep, but for some reason it would not run the script properly on my computer, unless I had executed a sudo command shortly before sleep (and not letting it sleep for long either). This got me thinking and it seems that the sleepwatcher script is having problems with sudo commands. This kind of requires a workaround, so that OSX allows sudo commands to be run without a password prompt. I'm not sure what kind of a security risk this is, but I could not find any alternative. If somebody has suggestions I would love to hear them! For now you have to edit the sudoers file as follows:

sudo nano -w /etc/sudoers

and add:

username ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL

username being your real username. This will allow the specified user to run sudo commands without a password, and the sound immediately started working again. You can check using the console whether .wakeup was evoked or not btw...

Please lemme know if this works and any comments are welcome! :P

hi, cheers for that, worked a treat, sound is on at startup :whistle:

however, ethernet says cable it is not connected. i have not tried it before. the connection light on the port is on but osx says cable is not connected. tried settings but no luck, should ethernet just work? still waiting for wifi card...

hi, cheers for that, worked a treat, sound is on at startup :thumbsup_anim:

however, ethernet says cable it is not connected. i have not tried it before. the connection light on the port is on but osx says cable is not connected. tried settings but no luck, should ethernet just work? still waiting for wifi card...

glad to hear your sound works as well now, I will update the tutorial some time next week then...

About your ethernet, which kext did you use? I think that the newest version of the driver (the one from reader02) does not work with all versions of our laptop. I'm not sure, but it seems like it as it is supposed to work on our chipset but it doesnt work on my laptop. I have to use the older, original one for my ethernet to work. I've attached this one to my post, perhaps this might help you out as well. Please bear in mind that this kext requires a workaround when you put the computer to sleep (sudo kextunload and kextload)... To instal this, unzip the package, then using terminal go into the AttansicL1eEthernet20090322 folder. Then go into the AttansicL1eEthernet folder and run

sudo -sh installrelease.sh

i hope this works for you too man! :rolleyes:

AttansicL1eEthernet20090322.zip

Hi,

It's been a long time since I've been on these forums. If anyone is still having trouble with sound I'll be sure to look into it. Right now I'm waiting for the Intel wireless drivers to be finished and things are looking promising. I'm hoping they'll be ready by next month.

Hey DPyro, good to see you're back! :)

I think your drivers are working perfectly still (at least for me they are), the only thing causing problems was sleepwatcher but I guess I found a work-around for that as well now...

But you're serious about the intel wireless? That would be just heavenly to get everything working otb! Would that include both the 3945 and 4965? Care to share where we could read up on the status? :)

cheers mate!

The people working on it are currently working on the Intel 2200 and 3945 first, then they can finish up with the 4965.

thanks for that link, i will keep an eye on it. wireless would be nice.

i am still having problems with ethernet. i have removed and rebuilt the extensions.mkext and removed the attansic* files but ethernet is still loaded at startup and its prob the new (non working) version. where else can osx load it from? can i tell which version is currently loaded. is it possible to get a copy of the startup messages which may help me understand what actually goes on when darwin is loading? i am trying to avoid a reinstall again.

sorry for keeping asking the same questions but i am getting very frustrated at not being able to do the simplest tasks on my hackintosh (even after having spent many years on unix, abeit a long time ago)

The Ethernet kext should just go under S/L/E. You can use Kexthelper to install it. Make sure the Ethernet cable is plugged in before booting OSX too.

ok, thanks for that DPyro. i didnt think to try at first with cable plugged in at boot :D

i have done that but now there are no lights on at all at the laptop cable end but port shows up in system utils with or without kext file loading. i will go for re-install later :( to get back to no network and start from there.

have just got my DELL DW 1490 Broadcom Wireless WiFi WLAN Card today so will have a play with that later, just to add to the confusion :)

well, finally got to spend a little time on my hackintosh. turns out to permissions on the AttansicL1eEthernet.kext files. When I had unzipped them they became wrxwrxwrx. Thats not good enough, you have to take w off of group and all for it to work, jeeeeez, talk about fussy :wacko: only had to restart and and network to router found and internet access there, didnt even get time to look in the network settings, sweeeeeet ;):):):thumbsup_anim:

anyway, all's well and i am writing my first post on safari.

thanks for patience with an os x noob, but has been a good learning excercise

tried the dell 1490 wifi card. started up windows 7 first, it found the card and loaded driver no problem. pressed the wifi on button but get green screen message saying no wifi card found. os x did not do anything either. any ideas what i need to do to either leave wifi on or for launcher/button to recognise the device?

How to install Mac OSX on your Acer 6920g?

DISCLAIMER: By writing this tutorial, I do not intend to promote the usage of pirated software, so if you like the way the software works, at least buy an official copy from Apple®! Also, using this tutorial/software is completely at your own risk so please make sure you've backed up your data, etc...

This tutorial was written to help the apparent plethora of 6920g users out there, who would like to run OSX on their laptops but have been running into problems during the installation. I myself have also had plenty of difficulties in the beginning, but by doing a lot of research and talking with others, I think there is now a way to run OSX with most of the laptop's hardware being fully functional. :(

<snip>

Hey, I'm looking for a cheap mac mini replacement and am wondering if this works no a 6920 with Boot132? I own a retail leopard disk and would like to use that so I can do regular updates as well. Know if this works?