[How To] Install Mac OS X 10.5.6 on Acer Aspire 6920g

les_paulde

152 posts in this topic

@safeed: what i can say about the sleep watcher and .wakeup that it does work. what i cant say is exactly how :-( its only sometimes while i am logged in that the sound will go and i have to run the script manually. check the versions match and permissions as in the threads above.

i can understand apples logic and they have a (relatively) easy life as the os and hardware are built to match. being built on unix they reliable also because of the restricted environment. buts thats no fun for us is it ;)

@jumping jack flash (are you a gas gas gas?) if you have a spare hard drive (min about 20GB) its worth a try. if it works you can see other threads for dual booting. looks like your lappy is similar enough to be in with a chance. make sure you get the exact same version of iDeneb (v2) so we will have more chance to help. change sata to IDE mode in bios before you start. if you only have the one drive i would say be really careful. i use 'boot-it' disk manager which i recommend (there are others). this lets me isolate one partition to 'experiment' with before incorporating the rest of the drive (i have 5 different os's on atm).

ps, any need to mention to backup to SEPARATE drive before starting which ever way you go? good luck

hallo Saffed, thank You for Your answer!, but maybe I am stupid, but I am still at beginning. I have created empty ntfs active/primary partition on my usb disk (when I try to boot from this empty disk, there is text: ntldr is missing and the screen freeses - may be - this the problem). So I have in boot order in bios dvd drive as a first boot device and second this weird partition. After boot and few rows of log strings I receive the same error: nfs_boot_init failed with 6\n"@/woodooKernel/xu-1228.7.58/bsd/nfs/nfs-vfsopsc:851. I tried to read something about "NTFS support" but in context of customizing settings after boot im mac menu, but I am still in first phase - in install initialisation. Do You think, my problem is with my partition? How should I fix it? thank You, thank You.

@feeefic2: I believe you got a kernel panic here and it is because of the FAT32 formatting. If you have no data on the partition format it using NTFS file system then include the - NTFS support package as it is stated at the beginning on page one of the OSX Install Tutorial here written by Les Paulde in order to enable full read/write access to NTFS drives and avoid a kernel panic. If you have any data on the partition which would be kinda odd since you're trying to install OSX at this time and the partition should be empty and later you will have to erase it using the OSX installation wizard during the install process. However, if that is the case you must backup your data first and then proceed to format the partition with NTFS file system. Then later during the install process you will erase the partition with OSX installation wizard by chooing the "MAC OS X Extended Journaled" and the wizard will format the partition a second time from NTFS to this format specifically in order to work with OSX. The included NTFS support package will also make it possible for you to access any other NTFS partitions or drives that you may have in your PC. Remember, only data files are usable while operating in cross-platform situation. Data files such as music files, picture files, documents and so on and NOT any programs, utilities or executable codes since programs, utilities and executable codes are OS specific but data is always sharable between different OS. I hope this helps.

hallo Safeed, I really don't understand, what does ntfs support package mean, I have only system on dvd and empty ntfs partition on my usb disk. Where should I include this package (to the installation DVD or to the partition?) and how? and, where I found it? thank you!

I have found this advice to boot ideneb 1.4 from ntfs partition:

(OPTIONAL) NTFS Read/Write Support:

Note: While this step is listed as optional, if you are installing any of the provided patches directly from an NTFS partition, it is highly advised that you install full Read/Write support for NTFS drives before proceeding. It is also ideal for dual boot scenarios where you would like full control of your xp/vista partition from within OS X.

1. Install MacFUSE 2.0.3 (Mount and install from the .dmg file provided in the root of this setup image)

2. Install NTFS-3G (Mount and install from the .dmg file provided in the root of this setup image)

But I don't know how to do this. I have no mac system yet, just only empty ntfs partition on my usb disc and DVD with ideneb 1.4 to boot. And error is still:

panic(cpu 0 caller 0×002D950D): “nfs_boot_init failed with

6\n”@/VoodooKernel/xnu-1228.7.58/bsd/nfs/nfs_vsops.c:851

Thank you for advice!

I have found this advice to boot ideneb 1.4 from ntfs partition:

(OPTIONAL) NTFS Read/Write Support:

Note: While this step is listed as optional, if you are installing any of the provided patches directly from an NTFS partition, it is highly advised that you install full Read/Write support for NTFS drives before proceeding. It is also ideal for dual boot scenarios where you would like full control of your xp/vista partition from within OS X.

1. Install MacFUSE 2.0.3 (Mount and install from the .dmg file provided in the root of this setup image)

2. Install NTFS-3G (Mount and install from the .dmg file provided in the root of this setup image)

But I don't know how to do this. I have no mac system yet, just only empty ntfs partition on my usb disc and DVD with ideneb 1.4 to boot. And error is still:

panic(cpu 0 caller 0×002D950D): “nfs_boot_init failed with

6\n”@/VoodooKernel/xnu-1228.7.58/bsd/nfs/nfs_vsops.c:851

Thank you for advice!

@feeefic2: Okay, I can see most of your problem from your reply. First of all, the booting from a USB stick is not the same as a fixed drive from an operating system point of view, this said I believe this to be half the problem. To fix this first, try to install a physical hard drive with a Windows OS such as XP or Vista on one partition and fully functional then create another partition (at least 20 Gig, mine is 135 Gig) for the Apple OS X and make sure this partition if also formatted with NTFS and free and clear of any data. This hard drive can be IDE or SATA or SATA2 (mine is SATA2 300) and that is really irrelevant at this point as I/O handling has nothing really to do with OS installation. Since at this level when you do not have an OS and you are trying to install an OS from a CD or DVD all I/O gets handled by a combination of the BIOS hardware and the kernel of the OS's Installation CD or DVD and in this case Apple OS X will handle the I/O if your BIOS could pass a hard drive IDE or SATA or SATA2 without a problem, ready to go and show to the OS X that it is a FIXED drive. Most kernels do not handle the removable drives such as a USB stick very well or go into a shock like OS X did here and that is your kernel state of panic. The second part that causes the kernel panic is the MFT on these removable USB sticks or generally most removable media since somehow they tend to look different than a fixed drive and that's how strange they are.

Second, download the following tutorial written by Les Paulde here:

InsanelyMac Forum > [How To] Install Mac OS X 10.5.6 on Acer Aspire 6920g

Next, set your BIOS to boot from your DVD drive first and then find and download the following:

iDeneb v1.4 (XxX_x86_10.5.6_Install_Disc_Universal_Final.v2)

This is the installation DVD with the NTFS support package included in it. When you start your installation from this iDeneb v1.4 (XxX_x86_10.5.6_Install_Disc_Universal_Final.v2) version of the DVD according to the step by step tutorial, you will see when you need to add the NTFS support package to your installation and proceed. This is the package that I was mentioning to you. After, you add all the packages according to the tutorial follow the installation steps and make sure to erase your NTFS partition that you are trying to install OS X to and it is very important to select "Mac OS X Extended Journaled" from the format type drop down menu.

I believe if you do all these you should be fine and you can proceed to install your OS X.

@gazzacbr: Hey, I found out a way to run the .wakeup script at login for people like me that their sound does not get activated by Sleepwatcher program. If you put a copy of the .wakeup script somewhere on your OSX Dock and then right click on it's icon you get an option "Open at Login".

I tested using this option to run the .wakeup script automatically and it works perfectly. The only annoying thing is that you have to manually close the Terminal screen that is left behind from the script execution. I know for sure that there is a way to run this script in the backgroud and in silent or non-verbose mode but since I have forgotten most scripting commands, I could not manage to get it to run silently and automatically at the same time. I was however able to run it in background using the command "bg .wakeup" and it worked and the script runs at startup or login but it is still in verbose mode which results in the Terminal logout screen to be left behind that you have to close manually.

If you or any of the other guys can manage the proper command for running the .wakeup script silently and in the background this procedure definitely works. Maybe you, Les Paulde or DPyro can come up with the proper command for this. I have to also mention, this is in addition to the way Sleepwatcher runs the .wakeup script since you still need that to run the .wakeup script after you bring back your machine from sleep. Please see if you can remember how to run this script both in background and in silent mode as it will make the OS look perfect at bootup without having to see the extra screen that you have to close all the time.

Also, do you know what is the update with the wireless, any luck yet?

@safeed: wireless is promising, i am waiting for aimski to reply as he has his running. i need some more help from him on how to do it. the 1470 is recognised and powered on at startup, just need to get airport to see it. maybe i will spend some time on i this weekend but for me atm its a 'nice to have' as i can just plug in the ethernet and am not traveling around much.

running script from the dock is good and simple solution but mine runs on startup anyway, really wish i knew how ;)

@gazzacbr: I figured out the problem with the sound and I have finally fixed the issue that does not require me to run the .wakeup script manually in order to activate the sound after machine bootup.

I booted from the iDeneb ...v2 DVD and after clicking next I got to the installation screen. But, all I had to do was to click on the Utilities and then click Disk Utility and then on the left pane select my OSX volume then in right pane click Verify Disk Permissions. After this was complete, I had 2 issues.

The first one was something about an invalid path for a file or a folder message and the second one was: Empty path in "com.apple.repair-permissions.pkg-group" receipt

Unfortunately, I did not write down the first issue specifically but then I clicked Repair Disk Permissions and after it was done, only one issue was left, the one that is listed above verbatim from the screen.

I tried to run the Repair Disk Permissions two more times to fix the above issue but it did not clear.

So, I quit the Disk Utility and rebooted using my OSX volume this time to see if the sound problem was fixed without me running the .wakeup script and sure thing the sound was active and stayed on.

I rebooted a couple more times and the sound is on after every single bootup, so it took care of it.

Now, the above issue with Empty path is a known issue that Apple has put on their "You Can Ignore"

list but some people were able to get rid of it by downloading the combo update for OS X Leopard. I am not worried about it and you should not be either since this Empty Path really reminds me of a well known issue with Windows XP/Vista about Empty Registry Keys. I had those in my previous XP installation and they never caused any problems, not even a slowdown on my OS like some people were mentioning. I do not wish to damage this installation by running a curious update from Apple.

I will continue to troubleshoot my issues and once everything is running nice and smooth, I will do a

complete mirror backup of all my partitions on my dual boot drive, at that point I can be more open to updating since I can always recover from my backup if all fails, I think this is how we should all proceed to be safe than sorry. I thought everyone should know this finding about the sound and the curious problem with Sleepwatcher but frankly it is not an issue with Sleepwatcher but with Apple OSX Disk Permissions. I hope this update about the sound can help some people here.

@safeed: ah, the old 'repair permissions, reboot' trick. now why didnt i think of that :D strange command but does seem to cure a lot of problems. permissions caused me problems for ethernet early on (#74). great to hear youre working.

had a play with wireless today, went to network and added 'airport'. it found my wireless network with the 1490 card but refused to connect after putting in password. maybe try again later, still need help from aimski i think. also possible that project: camphor will come up with intel drivers http://projectcamphor.mercurysquad.com/

i am not bothered about updates as 10.5.6 is running ok. just waiting for the "snow leopard x64 on 6920g" thread :)

@Safeed, Hallo again. No success. I have 50GB empty partition on my phisical drive in notebook formatted as NTFS (concretely: one physical 320 drive divided by acer factory to 2 ntfs partitions, one of them has system, on second one I have created next partition - 3 partitions at all), the same error, mac system in time of initialisation can't find enything, I don't understand it!

@feeefic2: Okay, I can see most of your problem from your reply. First of all, the booting from a USB stick is not the same as a fixed drive from an operating system point of view, this said I believe this to be half the problem. To fix this first, try to install a physical hard drive with a Windows OS such as XP or Vista on one partition and fully functional then create another partition (at least 20 Gig, mine is 135 Gig) for the Apple OS X and make sure this partition if also formatted with NTFS and free and clear of any data. This hard drive can be IDE or SATA or SATA2 (mine is SATA2 300) and that is really irrelevant at this point as I/O handling has nothing really to do with OS installation. Since at this level when you do not have an OS and you are trying to install an OS from a CD or DVD all I/O gets handled by a combination of the BIOS hardware and the kernel of the OS's Installation CD or DVD and in this case Apple OS X will handle the I/O if your BIOS could pass a hard drive IDE or SATA or SATA2 without a problem, ready to go and show to the OS X that it is a FIXED drive. Most kernels do not handle the removable drives such as a USB stick very well or go into a shock like OS X did here and that is your kernel state of panic. The second part that causes the kernel panic is the MFT on these removable USB sticks or generally most removable media since somehow they tend to look different than a fixed drive and that's how strange they are.

Second, download the following tutorial written by Les Paulde here:

InsanelyMac Forum > [How To] Install Mac OS X 10.5.6 on Acer Aspire 6920g

Next, set your BIOS to boot from your DVD drive first and then find and download the following:

iDeneb v1.4 (XxX_x86_10.5.6_Install_Disc_Universal_Final.v2)

This is the installation DVD with the NTFS support package included in it. When you start your installation from this iDeneb v1.4 (XxX_x86_10.5.6_Install_Disc_Universal_Final.v2) version of the DVD according to the step by step tutorial, you will see when you need to add the NTFS support package to your installation and proceed. This is the package that I was mentioning to you. After, you add all the packages according to the tutorial follow the installation steps and make sure to erase your NTFS partition that you are trying to install OS X to and it is very important to select "Mac OS X Extended Journaled" from the format type drop down menu.

I believe if you do all these you should be fine and you can proceed to install your OS X.

Hello

thank you all, i'm able to run leopard on my aspire 8920g (same hardware, only 18.4 screen).

Audio is driving me mad. No way to make it work, i've got a usb drive wich has a mini-rca out and i work with it, but the quality is low.

I noticed that the built in microphone works, instead.

i'm going to try the dock method, see you.

if you have suggestions, please report.

----------EDIT---------------

it didn't work too.

best of all: i haven't any kind of error showing.

well, wireless didnt take much playing with after all. updated airport utility, repaired permissions, reboot, and... viola, wireless is on and working :):P connected on my wpa2-psk router and using as i write.

i left the intel 4965 in its slot and the dell 1490 is in the other one with the aerial wires connected.

@feeefic2: disc created by acer - if standard that would include the recovery partition and the instant-on? maybe that has something to do with it? when i set up mine, i used my boot manager so that the only partition seen was the fat32 one to be used for os x, same as a new empty disk.

@Aristotele: do you have 889 same as 6920g?

in my system profiler i have:

Intel High Definition Audio:

Device ID: 0x10250146

Audio ID: 889

Available Devices:

Digital Out:

Connection: Digital

Microphone:

Connection: Internal

Speaker:

Connection: Internal

Headphone:

Connection: Combo

Microphone:

Connection: 1/8 inch Jack

Line In:

Connection: 1/8 inch Jack

S/P-DIF Out:

Connection: Optical

@feeefic2: Okay here is what I did. Acer splits the 320 GB drive in these models into 4 partitions. The first one about 5 GB has system configuration software on it and the forth one seems to be empty and wasted and neither show up in Vista under my computer but under disk utility you can see them both.

You should leave these two partitions alone. The second one is called Acer and it is about 144 GB and formatted NTFS that has Vista operating system on it and it is considered the main drive in Vista. You should leave this one alone as well. The third partition is called Data and it is almost 135 GB and also formatted NTFS. This is the partition you should be trying to install your OS X on.

First, make sure the Data partition is empty and has no data on it. Next, in Vista control panel click System and Maintenance then find Administrative tools and click on the blue link under it that says: "Create and format hard disk partitions" and this will launch Disk Management in Vista. You should clearly see four partitions.

Now, this is what you have to do and it was exactly what I did to prepare the partition for installation of OS X Leopard. You need to find the Data partition 3 about 135 GB in this Disk Management utility then right click on it and choose the option "Delete Volume" then accept by clicking OK on warning. You should see the banner for this volume that was blue now turned green and now it says "Free Space" on it. Now, you right click on this free space and select "Create Simple Volume" and system shows you the maximum available size with options to format this volume with NTFS. Choose the maximum size as it is and click the radio button to format this partition with NTFS, DO NOT choose the "Quick NTFS Format" as it will only erase the file allocation tables and not the drive itself that is not good in case there are encryption technology involved in data formatting/hiding in this partition when it was created by Acer that could interfere with your OS X installation.

After a while, you'll have an NTFS partition about 135 GB formatted with NTFS file system but this is only a "Simple Volume" and is not good for your installation. Now, you need to exit this disk utility and click the Vista's start orb and type "cmd" to launch a command prompt screen as we need to use the DISKPART Utility to finalize the process. Once you have a command prompt window open, type DISKPART and start the utility. Now on DISKPART prompt type "select disk 0" without the quotations since these models come only with one physical drive which is drive 0. Now, the focus is on disk 0 and DISKPART says disk 0 is the selected disk drive. AT this point type "list partition" and you should see all four partitions however since we deleted the original Data partition and recreated it again, at this point it is ranked as the fourth partition. WARNING: You MUST be very CAREFUL not to delete your other partitions here. You need to find the "Simple Volume" that we created in Disk Utility and DELETE it again since you cannot convert it to a "Primary Partition" because DISKPART will not allow it. So, carefully verify that partition 4 is indeed the only partition that reads as a "Simple Volume" and if this is the case, then this is the partition we need to DELETE and then recreate again as a "Primary Partition". If, partition 4 is the "Simple Volume" then type "select partition 4" to trun the focus to this partition. DISKPART will announce that partition 4 is now the selected partition. Now, type "delete partition" and this command will prompt DISKPART to delete the selected partition 4. After, you accept the warning, the partition 4 is gone. Now type "create partition primary" and DISKPART will use the maximum available space to create this new primary partition 4 after you hit Enter to OK this process. For a comprehensive view of all DISKPART utility's options and how to use them please refer to this link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300415

You may also type ? at the DISKPART prompt to see the options or you may type a command after the word help such as "help create partition". After, you created the primary partition and formatted it using NTFS then you can turn it active by typing the command "active" however you cannot turn this partition active until you have installed your OS X on it. You can return to this utility after the installation of OS X and turn the partition active manually however you should know when an OS installation procedure takes place, the installation wizard always turns the partition active by default to be able to use it as the boot drive, in this case the OS X will be your boot-up OS.

This is exactly how I prepared my partition before attempting installation of OS X so that OS X install process would not error out. Also, during the OS X installation procedure you must erase this same volume one more time using the "Mac OS X Extended Journaled" format to prepare the drive a final time for the OS X to install and work properly. I hope this will help you clear your issues. If not try researching the issue more and also try to be very specific about your hardware and your activities should you need additional help here.

@Aristotele: Try running the utility Repair Permissions as explained in posting #106

It may help you since it cleared my issue with sound and I added the update for others to see.

Good luck, having no sound is a big pain when it comes down to a computer specially a notebook.

@gazzacbr: Hey, I used the old ethernet_pkg.zip to install my ethernet and it is working fine because the new driver would not work and it would not let me access the network setup page. Now the only problem is that when I use sleep my ethernet stops working. So, I tried to apply the sleep fix for the ethernet but it requires a file that I don't have or it was not included in the ethernet_pkg.zip file or anywhere else for that matter.

The sleep fix for the ethernet requires a file called etherner_reload.sh and I need this file to fix the problem. Would you be a gent and upload a copy of your ethernet_reload.sh file please. If you don't have this file maybe Les Paulde can upload the file because if I remember correctly he also had issues with the new driver and he loaded this old driver and fixed it with the sleep fix when he was working out the ethernet load/reload issues.

Please if anyone has this file upload it soon so I can fix this problem, thanks in advance.

I also bought a Dell 1505 Wireless N Mini PCI-E Card with Broadcom number BCM94321MC off fleebay and in three weeks I will have it to see If I can get my wireless working. I know aimski did test the card and said that it was recognized but could not get it to connect, however, I decided that wireless N is too good to leave it unchecked. I will share the results with everyone here once done.

I will try my best effort to install and test it in any way I can and I plan to make it work both on Vista and OS X sides since I have my dual boot Hackbook Pro ;) working most of the way and it only requires a speedy wireless for me to be able to watch movies from Hulu.com uninterrupted wirelessly.

Godspeed.

sorry Safeed, only just seen this. no ethernet_reload.sh on my system. where should it be or does it come from?

i used original ethernet files and my .wakeup in my home dir has:

#Begin wakeup script

#!/bin/sh

sudo kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/AttansicL1eEthernet.kext

sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/AttansicL1eEthernet.kext

sudo reggie_se -D PhysAddr -w 0x01470500 -a 0xfc300060 -B 32

sudo reggie_se -D PhysAddr -w 1 -a 0xfc300068 -B 32

sudo reggie_se -D PhysAddr -w 0x014707c0 -a 0xfc300060 -B 32

sudo reggie_se -D PhysAddr -w 0x01470c02 -a 0xfc300060 -B 32

#End wakeup script

Hey Guys... my Friend owns this laptop and i Helped him to install OS X...

I've done a clean Retail Setup with Cham 2.0-RC3 and everything works whery nice with the kext in the first thread ecept audio..

Hes running 10.5.8

Any idea how to get Audio working in 10.5.8 ?

Audio some kind of gets decteded by System Profiler without any kexts. It says :

_____

Intel High Definition Audio:

Device ID: 0x10250146

Audio ID: 0

_____

Any idea how make it work, as its working for many of you, as you tell here in the thread ?

CodecDump.zip

• 1 month later...

@Gazzacbr

hi, thanks.. usualy i am very happy with the 10.5.6

just I like to develop for Iphone and the new SDK for 3.1 needs 10.5.7 as minimum.

So for that reason i think about to update...

any suggestions to update quiet save to minimum 10.5.7 are welcomed.

greets

chris

@guruk, good to hear. i would not try to update (not without full image backup).

see 1 post before you about audio probs, also maybe sleep probs.

is there something you need that 10.5.8 has?

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I've installed

-CHUD Tools

-sleepwacher

-renamed the rc.wakeup file(put in my username) and copied the file to /etc

-runned chmod and chown

-build mktext(battery life works)

but after reboot don't work's! Why?

My Image: iDeneb 1.5.1 with OSX 10.5.7

I updated with iDeneb Combo Update to 10.5.8

worked fine. Also now I have a total Sleep Problem.

Before it was just Lan, now also USB does not works.

(my Hackintosh is installed on USB, so it crash total)

Any Solutions for the 10.5.8 Sleep Problem?

Greets

Chris

Hello,

I have an Acer Aspire 6920G and I tried to install MAC OSX with iDeneb1.4, but I have had one problem ... I have one disk with 4 partitions. One for windows 7 (C: NTFS), one for data (D: NTFS), one (i don't know what it is ...) and the last of 30Gb for MAC OSX. When I boot from iDeneb, I click on Utilities, and then on Disk Utility and I erase my OSX partition using the MAX OS extended (jounaled) file system ... But after when it ask me where I want to install MAC OSX, there is none partition ... and I can't continue the installation...

So have you an idea to solve my problem please ?

Thanks a lot ! :thumbsup_anim:

NB: I would like to manage a dual-boot with EasyBCD at the end.

Hello,

Thank you for your response but like i said un my previous post, i erase my partition with mac osx extended (journaled) like that it says i

the topic. Futhermore, if i use gparted live cd of Linux, i can see that my partition has been transformed in HFS+.

Have you any idea to solve it ?

Thank again.

Hello,

Thank you for your response but like i said un my previous post, i erase my partition with mac osx extended (journaled) like that it says i

the topic. Futhermore, if i use gparted live cd of Linux, i can see that my partition has been transformed in HFS+.

Have you any idea to solve it ?

Thank again.

not sure, but maybe install wants osx partition to be the only one (some recommend installing on an empty disk) or at least the to be first partition.

i use 'boot-it ng' to manage my partitions (i have 9 on 2 disks, with 5 different os's)

that way, when installing osx, i can set the mbr so that the hfs partition is the only one seen by the install. it is safe that way and keeps you independent of the os.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootit-next-generation.htm