[How To] Install Mac OS X 10.5.6 on Acer Aspire 6920g

les_paulde

152 posts in this topic

Hello,

Thank you very much for your posts !

But I know that it's possible to install mac osx and windows on the same disk because one friend has done that.

I join a photo of my 4 partitions. And, just before I tried to install MAC OSX, I had set the third partition (MAC OSX) to be active. Perhaps that is the problem ?

@gazzacbr : I will go to see your software "boot-it ng", perhaps it can solve my problem.

Edit : This software costs 35$ ! I prefer Easy BCD ... it's free ... Thank you again even if I don't want to buy it.

partition.bmp

Hi,

I have an acer one netbook and acer 6920G laptop. I want to install osx in my 6920G and just leave winxp in my netbook. My question is can i swap the atheros wireless of my acer one and the 4965 6920G? Will the atheros wireless driver in iDeneb installer work?

Secondly, I noticed that there is AttansicL1Ethernet driver. Is this the same driver as the one posted in this thread?

Thirdly, Is it necessary to use PCEFI as bootloader. Will the Chameleon bootloader ruin my installation?

Thanks in advance for the reply.

Cheers,

Chad

How to install Mac OSX on your Acer 6920g?

DISCLAIMER: By writing this tutorial, I do not intend to promote the usage of pirated software, so if you like the way the software works, at least buy an official copy from Apple�! Also, using this tutorial/software is completely at your own risk so please make sure you've backed up your data, etc...

This tutorial was written to help the apparent plethora of 6920g users out there, who would like to run OSX on their laptops but have been running into problems during the installation. I myself have also had plenty of difficulties in the beginning, but by doing a lot of research and talking with others, I think there is now a way to run OSX with most of the laptop's hardware being fully functional. :P

At the moment, the hardware that is running and fully supported is as follows:

• NVidia 9500m GS (QE/CI enabled), with native fullHD resolution on lcd.
  • Ethernet (Working)
  • Webcam (Working)
  • ALC889 Sound (Working, including auto-sensing)
  • Intel Speedstep (Working)
  • Battery meter (Working)
  • Bluetooth (Working)
  • 2 Finger Scrolling (Still to be improved)
  • Cinedash Trackpad (Partially Working)
  • Intel 4965 Wireless (Not Working)
  • 5-in-1 Cardreader (Not Working)
  • IrDA (Not Working)

And now on to the installation process. I am not going into dual-booting techniques, as these are being discussed all over the web; instead I'm only going to focus on the installation which will leave you with a functional hackbook! :D NOTE: I've tried to incorporate as much of the installs as possible during the install, but due to time constraints, I might not have exhausted all the possibilities, so if anyone has any comments or suggestions about this tutorial, feel free to contact me!

What do you need?

• iDeneb v1.4 (XxX_x86_10.5.6_Install_Disc_Universal_Final.v2) install disc
  • A harddrive partition of at least 10Gb (I recommend at least 20Gb), ready to be formatted by OSX.
  • CHUD tools (google)
  • Sleepwatcher (google)
  • The linked file to be unzipped to a folder on your osx drive after installation.

The Procedure:

Boot from the iDeneb install disc by setting your DVDROM device as first boot device. Just wait for the install screen to show up, and then click on 'Utilities' and then on 'Disk Utility', and erase your OSX partition using the 'Mac OS extended (journaled)' file system. Confirm that you want to erase it and close the window. Click next, agree to the user agreement, and then in the following screen click on customize. Here is where we need to select a few items to make sure the system can run properly. I will just list the packages that you will need to install that are not enabled by default, meaning that you should leave the options that the iDeneb installer selects by default enabled. The packages needed are:

Default --> Boot argument:

- uncheck verbose mode (if you want to see the apple logo on startup instead of scrolling text)

Optional Bootloaders:

- PCEFI v9.0

Kernel:

- Don't select any as it will then select the default vanilla kernel...

Chipset Support:

- ICHx Chipset Support

- JMicronATA

Graphics Driver:

- NVInject 0.2.1 512mb (!!!very important not to select the "GO" version, as this will not give you QE/CI enabled by default!!!)

USB Fixes:

- USB sleepfix (!!!very important as sleep will not work without this!!!)

Others:

- LocalTimeToggle (install only if you want to dual boot with windows as there will be a 2hr time difference between the two OSs otherwise�

Tools: (these are just suggestions to make your life easier, they don't take up much space�)

- kexthelper

- NTFS support (to enable full read/write access to NTFS drives)

- OSX86tools

- Mkexttool

- Geekbench

- xBench

- smartsleep (enables you to change the sleep mode, seemingly important to get sleep to work with the standard display timeout.)

After you've selected these packages, just continue and install the OS. I usually just skip the disc check because I know my disc is fine, but you might want to do this the first time you're using your own disc.

Congratulations, after a reboot and setting up your account (use a password!), you will have a smooth apple system working quite well already! ;) QE/CI is enabled at the moment, just like Bluetooth (even the button next to the keyboard works), the webcam, the volume control of your Cinedash� trackpad (+ and � for volume control) and sleep.

Network Card:

I included the new AttansicL1eEthernet.kext in the driver package, its listed under 'all kexts'. Just follow method 2 under sound to install the network driver.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

EDIT: For some the new drivers dont seem to work, so just in case I will list the way I have my network card running using the old drivers. The old driver is attached seperately at the end of this post (ethernet_pkg.zip)...

Unzip the ethernet_pkg.zip file to a location of your choice. Using terminal, browse to the 'Ethernet' folder and type "sudo sh installrelease.sh" (without apostrophes obviously). Confirm with your password and after a reboot, you'll find that your ethernet is working just fine! (NOTE: after you put the computer to sleep, the ethernet will stop working but we will fix that at the end using sleepwatcher).

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Sound:

Thanks to DPyro, we now have a fully functioning audio driver for our 6920g, so I will explain how to install the drivers in order to make sure that you do not need to boot into Vista before your audio device will actually turn on and that they remain functional after the computer goes to sleep. As the process of making sound work is the same as making Intel Speedstep and battery management work, I've now created two methods, depending on whether or not you want to install these extra packages as well, as you can then just do them in one step. Method 1 is for people that do not want these packages, method 2 is for the people that do.

Method1:

First of all, we need to merge the kext files from the folder 'sound kexts' into an 'extensions.mkext' file, that the PCEFIv9.0 bootloader can use in order to load the drivers upon system startup. To do this, we can use the tool mkexttool (I prefer to open programs using spotlight � Alt + spacebar), otherwise its located under 'Applications --> Utilities'. Just simply drag and drop the kext files from the folder 'Sound' onto the 'pack' tab of the mkexttool window. This will put them in the list, and then all that's left is to specifiy the output folder, which needs to be /Extra (in other words, just create a folder 'Extra' on your OSX drive and build the extensions.mkext file inside this folder.) After rebooting, the drivers should now be installed, but your sound will not work quite yet.

Method2:

First of all, we need to merge the kext files from the folder 'all kexts' into an 'extensions.mkext' file, that the PCEFIv9.0 bootloader can use in order to load the drivers upon system startup. To do this, we can use the tool mkexttool (I prefer to open programs using spotlight: Alt + spacebar), otherwise its located under 'Applications --> Utilities'. Just simply drag and drop the kext files from the folder 'all kexts' onto the 'pack' tab of the mkexttool window. This will put them in the list, and then all that's left is to specifiy the output folder, which needs to be /Extra (in other words, just create a folder 'Extra' on your OSX drive and build the extensions.mkext file inside this folder.) After rebooting, ethernet, battery management and speedstep will work already, but sound still requires some extra work.

Sleepwatcher:

Alright, now to get sound to work (thanks to DPyro!):

First of all, install CHUD tools (just google it), as these add a crucial component to OSX for this driver to work. Next, install sleepwatcher, (also just google it) which will let you run scripts when the computer comes out of sleep. It's probably a good idea to reboot your machine before completing the final steps:

Copy the script sound.sh from the 'scripts' folder to the following folder: /Users/user1/ (user1 being your own username).

Then to make the scripts executable, browse to the folder /Users/user1/ using the terminal again. Then type and execute the following lines:

sudo chmod +x sound.sh

sudo chown root sound.sh

Then, finally, tell sleepwatcher to run this script each time the computer wakes up (which includes bootup). Open the included rc.wakeup file, and find the line

./Users/erv/sound.sh

inside the rc.wakeup file, and replace 'erv' with your own username. Then by replacing the file rc.wakeup (located in /etc/)* with the one you just edited, we can tell sleepwatcher to execute the script, and you'll find that sound will now keep working! Congratulations, you've just successfully applied scripts to make your Hackbook pretty much fully functional! :D

Network card sleep fix:

If you used the older version of the network driver, it will stop working after you put the computer to sleep. To solve this do as follows: After having installed sleepwatcher, copy the file ethernet_reload.sh from the network driver package to the following folder: /Users/user1/ (user1 being your own username).

Then to make the scripts executable, browse to the folder /Users/user1/ using the terminal again. Then type and execute the following lines:

sudo chmod +x ethernet_reload.sh

sudo chown root ethernet_reload.sh

Then tell sleepwatcher to run this script each time the computer wakes up (which includes bootup). First edit the included rc.wakeup file in order to set your user directory correctly, then replace the rc.wakeup file (located in /etc/)* with the one you've just edited. This version of rc.wakeup will tell sleepwatcher to execute both the ethernet_reload.sh script and the sound.sh script used above. If for some reason you do not want to include the sound.sh script, just remove that line from wakeup.rc before replacing it.

To (be) continue(d):

Now that most things are working, I just wanted to note a few last things I did extra that others may also be interested in. Using smartsleep, I just set the sleep mode to smart sleep at the end, not sure if this has any effect but at least the laptop shuts down when its not being used or when the user presses sleep under the apple menu. Feel free to play around with this tool, as I did not notice anything going wrong trying any of the settings and it might make a difference for automatic sleep.

Wireless:

I'm still sorting this out, but as our Intel 4965AGN does not seem to be supported any time soon, I figured I should look elsewhere. Some users have reported that the Gigabyte Aircruiser N300 WI06N should work natively under OSX. I have ordered one, but until I've received and tested it, it remains merely a possibility. Obviously I will report any luck or trouble here as soon as I can! At least it seems promising to be able to get Wireless N working under OSX, and the card only set me back $25, so if this works I'll be more than satisified! Also, the replacement procedure of the Wifi card is a breeze on our 6920g, as it is located right at the front on the right underneath the laptop�

2 Finger Scrolling:

Alright, I think I've found a pretty nice configuration to at least get the scrolling part to work on our laptop. Unfortunately, there is no finger-tapping (tapping the mousepad to leftclick), but that might be due to something I'm overlooking in the .plist configuration file.

So basically, to install the drivers, just follow the instructions in the following thread: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...olling&st=0 (thanks to ranova).

After following those instructions, you can configure the way the FFScroll drivers work by editing the com.apple.driver.ApplePS2Trackpad.plist file, located in both /Library/preferences and /Users/your_username/Library/preferences. As I've already done the editing needed to get quite good results imho, you can just copy the com.apple.driver.ApplePS2Trackpad.plist file I included in this post to those two locations. After rebooting the FFScrollDaemon, the settings should work straight away. In order to reboot the scroll daemon, just type in the following commands into the terminal:

sudo killall -9 FFScrollDaemon

sudo /usr/local/bin/FFScrollDaemon

I think it would be nice if people could have a look at the plist file to see if we can still improve on this (especially finger-tapping would be nice I think). The more people will look at this, the more likely it will be to succeed fully. If you google "best ffscroll settings", there is a good thread I'm not allowed to link to, which explains what the individual settings do. By the way, we have to edit the second part (synaptics), as the first part is meant for the APLS glidepads. Enjoy! :D

Things that don't work:

It seems that putting the computer to sleep stops restart from working, not sure how we can fix that. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Good extra reading material for the curious ones amongst us:

Network Card:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversi...hp/t140907.html

Sound:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=140941

Sleepwatcher:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...0941&st=240

Battery:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...IBatteryManager

Speedstep:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=119370

2 Finger Scroll:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...2+finger+scroll

Major thanks go out to:

DPyro (Sound)

Taruga (Sound)

Marionez (Ethernet)

Mercurysquad (Speedstep)

~Eureka (Battery meter)

Ranova (2 finger scroll)

Reader02 (Ethernet)

footnotes

* /etc/ folder is only accessible once you've enabled viewing hidden files and folders. This can be accomplished by executing the following command under terminal:

defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES

i am thinking about applying this technique to my acer aspire 4920 laptop with spec as attached.

please advise me on this.

DxDiag.txt

i'll be answering my above question as I tried it already.

I swapped my Intel 4965 wifi with the atheros AR5007EG wifi from Acer one netbook hoping that it will be supported. Windows 7 recognized the card without a pain. In Leopard, I followed some forums which guided me on how to install kext for AR5007EG. The card is not fully supported. There is some work around but am not successfull connecting to wifi.

I have tried to install chameleon bootloader using the package in the chameleon website. It had been installed automatically. BUT, you have to reinstall the kext for 6920G. Also, putting mkext in the /Extra folder did not work. I just used the Kexthelper to install it and everything went back to normal.

• 2 weeks later...

the 1470 card was cheap and i knew it would work but its a/b/g and not n like the 4965. yes, i swapped the wires. would be nice if i could jump them together so could easily use one or the other.

still hoping for drivers from camphor project...

i installed this onto my 6920 D partition and it installed fine and boots fine but as soon as i get close to osx starting i get a message and a nice fancy picture of a mac keyboard saying keyboard not found insert a keyboard any ideas?? i cant move my mouse at this point either unless i plug in a usb mouse

• 2 weeks later...

update:

i already received my Broadcom BCM4311. i have replace my intel wifi card with Broadcom BCM4311. It was automatically detected by leopard as airport card.. no sweat..

@daniel-arr

be sure that you are using the iDeneb 1.4 version installer... most of us can use the onboard keyboard ang trackpadd without a sweat..

• 2 weeks later...

okie dokie ive got it figured out nd installed i just hadn't checked the box

my problem now is when im trying to enable the sound iun terminal it asks for the pass so i went to type my password in but nothing will type however the enter key works nd other keys just not letters or numbers :S this only happens at the password stage of terminal its fine till then

pleasee can you help me :(

Hello,

I finally succeed to install MAC OSX on my laptop. Everything work perfectly except sound ...

I have done exatly that had wrote Les_Paulde for sound. I have the auto-sensing which works and I can change the sound on the dock, even after a restart of my computer. But when I play a song (for example) I hear nothing ...

I don't now where is the problem ...

Have you an idea ?

Thank you :)

Hello,

I just found my problem. In the terminal I just execute "sound.sh" and it works great. So I think that my problem comes to sleepwatcher. It don't execute "sound.sh" when the laptop turn on.

So, I have a question. I installed sleepwatcher, but I don't find where it's installed ... Can you tell me where it is ?

Thanks a lot.

I've weird problem with sound. I've done all like was said in instructions, but... Internal speakers seems to play no sound. When i connect external speakers they sounds very very low. So i don't know what to do, help please!

• 1 month later...

Ok I cant get the sound to work i had everything working perfectly then i accidentally updated the iDeneb to 1.5.8 using software update (which i was supprised to find mac still worked)and it has stopped the sound from working and it no longer shows on the task bar (top right)

any ideas??

I should add that i have tried installing all kexts again and tried both method one and method two with no luck

Ok I cant get the sound to work i had everything working perfectly then i accidentally updated the iDeneb to 1.5.8 using software update (which i was supprised to find mac still worked)and it has stopped the sound from working and it no longer shows on the task bar (top right)

any ideas??

I should add that i have tried installing all kexts again and tried both method one and method two with no luck

It doesn't work with 1.5.8. However, I have just installed iPortable 10.6.2 and will be testing my audio to see if I can get it to work, as I am also looking to get wireless working.

EDIT: My driver somewhat works in 10.6.2 but because I can't load the vanilla kernel, the script won't work. It's much easier to use the VooDoo Intel HDA drivers. Tested the wireless drivers and still getting the same errors :)

• 3 weeks later...
hey guys,

I did try the iAtkos v7 actually, and it works fine except for sleep. Another suspicion of mine is that 10.5.7. does damage our sound. Can people that do have the update try the following: does your built in microphone still supply sound to your mac and does plugging in headphones still work? With me, it were these two things that were broken in the sound. In fact, even just installing the two sound kexts with kexthelper instead of using the /Extra folder broke my mic and headphones.

One cool thing that I noticed in iAtkos v7 is the new Chameleon 2.0 bootloader, this is a serious recommendation!! just google chameleon 2.0 as I'm not allowed to link directly.. -_-

Another even more amazing thing is the fact that two finger scrolling now works perfectly, using the voodoo ps/2 drivers, found by googling voodoo ps/2 as I'm once again not allowed to link directly.

All you have to do is delete ApplePS2Controller.kext and ACPIPS2Nub.kext from S/L/E, install the package and reboot. Works an absolute treat!

But yeah, to summarize, it seems that the only benefit of 10.5.7. is the new safari atm, which still doesnt beat firefox imho anyway, so I would personally advise against updating. I'm now still running iDeneb 10.5.6 with the updated bootloader and ps2 drivers and now everything works, including sleep. Heavenly in other words! :D

Does it work to me if i'll install kext from "sound kexts" with kext helper ? Without Mkext tool, /Extra folder and extension.package.kext ? Will my built-in mic and headphones will work ? Sorry if i did mistakes while writing, im from Lithuanina country.

P.S. my Computer are acer aspire 6920 not 6920G and the kexts working good to me.

But Problem with sound, i'll try to reinstall mac and istall just with kext helper. Thank's for your answers and help.

Sorry in advance if I just seem stupid, but I'm not prepared to trudge through 8 pages of text that all deal with different specific problems that may or may not be related to my problems or even this tutorial.

Anyway, A while ago, I tried to follow the tutorial on the first page of this thread. Seems it's slightly out of date, though, since a copy of "XxX_x86_10.5.6_Install_Disc_Universal_Final.v2" is unobtainable now. I understand you guys are probably fully aware of this, but I was just wondering If there was a more up-to-date tutorial for this exact laptop? The reason that I ask is that I installed a different version of iDeneb, and it works, to an extent. But there aren't as many options as there apparently are on this "XxX" version of iDeneb, and so i have a few problems. I can't get Wireless internet (although I'm guessing there just isn't a driver for this wireless card), Sound just doesn't work at all (unless I plug in my external sound card), and when I plug my 1080p TV into the HDMI socket, it goes into a sleep which it can't wake up from. I then have to use VGA, and for some reason 1920x1080 isn't on the list of resolutions; Max is 1280x1024.

Can someone reccomend me a suitable replacement for "XxX_x86_10.5.6_Install_Disc_Universal_Final.v2", or talk me through how to solve my listed problems? And before you tell me to go and search through the forums, I've tried that. All solutions end with a seemingly massively complicated process which in the end doesn't work, and just confuses me since I have no actual help.

Ok, i were installed XxX_10.5.6_Leo_Install_Disc_Rev1 , installed all kext with only kexthelper, then i installed chud tools, sleepwatcher and sleepwatcher startup, then i restarted my pc. I tryied to play music, it played but, my built-in microphone and headphones not respond. I were updated only one time with software update and wait until it finished. The pc were updated, then i saw the sound kext missed, i tryed to install again, ALC889.kext and HDAEnabler.kext . And my mic and headphones works at now. P.S. sound.sh file and rc.wakeup i'm using. When you install again the kext's start terminal and write ./sound.sh , congratulations your sound card now fully working. :) And don't forget to chmod sound.sh ! If someone needet help with acer aspire 6920 or 6920G with installing sound write to my skype: klbx1000 or write to e-mail: klbx @ elekta.lt

Thank you very much. I couldn't find that exact version, but in a search for that, I ended up finding "XxX_x86_10.5.6_Install_Disc_Universal_Final", which is what I was looking for originally, without the "V2" thing. Not sure what the difference is, if there is any.

As soon as it's downloaded, I'll try that out. Thanks! ;)

• 3 weeks later...

update: have moved on to Snow Leopard now.

used retail disc (buy update one), copied to usb, myHack to load bootloader.

only needed Voodoo for sound.

booting with leopard, windows 7, server 2003 and others using boot-it.

only dont have mic in but otherwise all ok.

need to play with dsdt next for full sound.

• 4 months later...

HELP!!! NO ETHERNET or SOUND!

ok this is realy retarded now!!

i have done a perfect install of the exact software the tutorial talks about and done exactly what has been asked of me and yet i still cant get my Ethernet or audio working!!

iv tried everything, even reinstalled the whole OS 4 times today! its crazy... can someone please give me some help with this, i have no idea what im doing wrong.. iv made sure i follow every single step in the tutorial and i have the same laptop as everyone els too!! i dont even get error messages!

i have however got the battery working and when chaning autio settings... if i click the sounds from the list, my headphones gives a quit crackle, also happens with speakers but when nothing is connected, and i try using the laptop speakers, nothing happens :( same with ethernet!! nothing happens, nothing detected or antying :(

please can i have some seriouse help! i completly new with all this hackintosh stuff but i do know what im doing now :P

also.... i dont mind simply buying a usb wifi dongle for wifi... but will it work??? and the audio... i realy needs guys! please give me some help!

cheers :)

• 1 year later...

Hey, I wanted to try out hackintosh again and installed iAtkos S3 v2. Just about everything works, I even got a usb wireless Belkin working but I don't have the QI/CE for the video card working (Nvidia 9500m GS of course). I have this com.apple.Boot.plist in /Extra:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>ForceWake</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1366x768x32</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>arch=i386</string>
<key>Boot Graphics</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>PciRoot</key>
<string>1</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>5</string>
<key>device-properties</key>
<string>ad0500000100000002000000620500001a00000002010c00d041030a000000000101060000010101060000007fff040024000000400030002c00630061006e002d0068006f0074002d0070006c00750067000000040000001c0000006400650076006900630065005f00740079007000650000000f0000004e5644412c506172656e7422000000400031002c006400650076006900630065005f00740079007000650000000b000000646973706c617922000000400030002c0064006900730070006c00610079002d006300660067000000080000000301000020000000400031002c0063006f006d00700061007400690062006c00650000000e0000004e5644412c4e564d616314000000400030002c006e0061006d0065000000120000004e5644412c446973706c61792d412e000000400030002c004100410050004c002c0062006f006f0074002d0064006900730070006c006100790000000400000014000000400031002c006e0061006d0065000000120000004e5644412c446973706c61792d421e00000072006f006d002d007200650076006900730069006f006e000000080000003332333320000000400030002c0063006f006d00700061007400690062006c00650000000e0000004e5644412c4e564d6163200000004e005600440041002c0046006500610074007500720065007300000008000000ff024f05100000004e00560043004100500000001800000004000000000003000c0000000000000700000000300000004100410050004c002c0045004d0043002d0044006900730070006c00610079002d004c0069007300740000004400000003000000000000000000000000000000061000001b9200000000000000000000061000001c920000000000000000000006100000219200000000000000000000260000004100410050004c00300030002c0043006f0068006500720065006e0063007900000008000000020000001c000000400030002c00660062006f006600660073006500740000000800000000000600360000004100410050004c002c006100750078002d0070006f007700650072002d0063006f006e006e006500630074006500640000000800000001000000220000005600520041004d002c0074006f00740061006c00730069007a00650000000800000</string>
<key>system-type</key>
<string>2</string>
</dict>
</plist>