[How To] Install Mac OS X 10.5.6 on Acer Aspire 6920g

les_paulde

152 posts in this topic

Guys... trouble..!

I followed the guide to the dot and i still have no sound nor ethernet. It's not the first hackintosh i set up so i probably havnt done any noobish mistakes, all files have the correct permissions etc, i tried adding the kexts into /S/L/E after it didn't work in /Extra. I have the sound icon near the top right but there is no sound. Running the sound.sh manually doesnt fix the issue either.

I have the exact same model code on my laptop that someone posted above for reference and about this mac lists the sound card as an "889". Ethernet cable is plugged in during boot like someone suggested.

EDIT: Ok, sound just magically started working after three reboots with no changes at all, just reboots. Ethernet to go. As a sidenote i tried both drivers in the first post with no avail.

Thanks for all the work you guys put into this!!

@maciekish, check out my note on #74 with permissions, including the kext and its contents. you may need to do it manually. try to run the commands in the installrealease.sh manually and check for errors. make sure you use les_paulde file (the olde one) from #67 also.

strange how osx seems to have failed and after several reboots all is well.

(i assume you are another refugee from notebookforum :D )

@maciekish, check out my note on #74 with permissions, including the kext and its contents. you may need to do it manually. try to run the commands in the installrealease.sh manually and check for errors. make sure you use les_paulde file (the olde one) from #67 also.

strange how osx seems to have failed and after several reboots all is well.

(i assume you are another refugee from notebookforum :( )

Thanks, will have a look on Monday, my hackintosh laptop is at work! But of course i have a hackintosh at home too (although that one is already fully working) :)

Was curious if anyone has tried the iDeneb 10.5.7 upgrade kit yet? I have seen various rates of success with people on this forum and was curious if anyone has tried it on the 6920g yet.

do you know what is in 10.5.7 that is different/better for us?

@DavyH: you can always use usb dongle type until drivers are available :D

do you know what is in 10.5.7 that is different/better for us?

I am not 100% sure what is really better in 10.5.7 but I do like to keep things up to date lol. Anyway I just went ahead and gave it a shot and it installed fine. No driver issues or programs issues that I have noticed so if anyone plans on installing it it should work just fine.

I am not 100% sure what is really better in 10.5.7 but I do like to keep things up to date lol. Anyway I just went ahead and gave it a shot and it installed fine. No driver issues or programs issues that I have noticed so if anyone plans on installing it it should work just fine.

thats strange, cuz I thought to give the update a try as well this weekend. Afterwards everything seemed to be working but i soon noticed that it killed my sound. Not sure if the 10.5.7 update is good for us then, just wanted to share my experience.

On another note, the project camphor website is looking good, news is constantly coming out so i think that wireless 3945/4965 will be a possibility soon! :)

thats strange, cuz I thought to give the update a try as well this weekend. Afterwards everything seemed to be working but i soon noticed that it killed my sound. Not sure if the 10.5.7 update is good for us then, just wanted to share my experience.

That's strange, sound still works fine for me. Not sure if it makes a difference but the way I got sound working in the first place was to simply install the alc889 and HDAenabler kexts and then manually run sound.sh at startup. I had issues with sleepwatcher and since I never put the system to sleep anyway I just went around it.

Thanks for your reply, but now it just got stranger: i tried again today to reinstall osx, got sound to work, updated to 10.5.7 and indeed, the sound continued working. The only difference was that this time i installed the sound kexts using kext helper before updating, whereas previously, I only did it afterwards. So I guess the 10.5.7 update does work, but I have to warn people that sleep stopped working for me both times. The EHCI sleep fix stops working with the 10.5.7 update, so I reverted back to 10.5.6 as I really do need the sleep function. Just wondering if the same happens to your install?

Thanks for your reply, but now it just got stranger: i tried again today to reinstall osx, got sound to work, updated to 10.5.7 and indeed, the sound continued working. The only difference was that this time i installed the sound kexts using kext helper before updating, whereas previously, I only did it afterwards. So I guess the 10.5.7 update does work, but I have to warn people that sleep stopped working for me both times. The EHCI sleep fix stops working with the 10.5.7 update, so I reverted back to 10.5.6 as I really do need the sleep function. Just wondering if the same happens to your install?

I too ran the update after having the sound kexts installed, upgraded the 10.5.6 install that I had been running for the past few months as opposed to a fresh install. I can't really help you with the sleep issue as I don't use sleep functionality, but my guess is that they need to update the sleep fix to work under 10.5.7.

i didnt try the update, but did download safari 4 to give it a try. it will not install as it needs 10.5.7. no problem really as i use firefox anyway but thats one prog that is not supported. maybe there will be others as time goes by

hey guys,

I did try the iAtkos v7 actually, and it works fine except for sleep. Another suspicion of mine is that 10.5.7. does damage our sound. Can people that do have the update try the following: does your built in microphone still supply sound to your mac and does plugging in headphones still work? With me, it were these two things that were broken in the sound. In fact, even just installing the two sound kexts with kexthelper instead of using the /Extra folder broke my mic and headphones.

One cool thing that I noticed in iAtkos v7 is the new Chameleon 2.0 bootloader, this is a serious recommendation!! just google chameleon 2.0 as I'm not allowed to link directly.. :D

Another even more amazing thing is the fact that two finger scrolling now works perfectly, using the voodoo ps/2 drivers, found by googling voodoo ps/2 as I'm once again not allowed to link directly.

All you have to do is delete ApplePS2Controller.kext and ACPIPS2Nub.kext from S/L/E, install the package and reboot. Works an absolute treat!

But yeah, to summarize, it seems that the only benefit of 10.5.7. is the new safari atm, which still doesnt beat firefox imho anyway, so I would personally advise against updating. I'm now still running iDeneb 10.5.6 with the updated bootloader and ps2 drivers and now everything works, including sleep. Heavenly in other words! ;)

• 4 weeks later...

does my acer hardware too?

Acer Aspire 6920G

* Mainboard: Acer Aspire 6920

* Northbridge-Chipsatz: Intel PM965 Express

* Prozessor: Intel® Core2 Duo CPU T5750 @ 2.00GHz

* Video: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 (512 MB)

* LAN: Atheros AR8121/AR8113/AR8114 PCI-E Ethernet Controller

* WLAN: Intel® Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN

* Webcam: Acer Crystal Eye Webcam

* RAM: DDR2 3GB

* Audio: Realtek High Definition Audio

* Touchpad: Synaptics PS/2 Port TouchPad

* USB: Intel® ICH8 Family USB Universal Host Controller

* Bluetooth Modul 2.0+EDR,

* IDE Controller: Intel® 82801HEM/HBM SATA AHCI Controller

* Optiarc BD ROM BC-5500A ATA Device

* Card Reader: 6-in-1 (Secure Digital, MultiMediaCard, MultiMediaCardplus, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO, xD-Picture Card)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone!

I have great news!! I was able to come across Dell 1490 Broacom PCIe card and installed it in the PCIe slot that is labeled TV & Robson only. that is next to the Intel 4965. I have to open the bottom of the computer where the hard-drive is to access the antenna wires so they could reach to the new location of the WiFi card in the other slot. I pulled out the Intel, not that I think that makes a difference, but still pulled it out. After I did that I booted back up and my card was recognized right away in the menu bar. It was finding SSID's but I was only able to connect to WEP, I tried t connect to WAP & WAP2 and was not able to. My fix was I deleted all network cards except for the Ethernet (you have to leave one there), then rebooted and re-added all the network, VPN, Airport Cards. I had to install the Airport first or this didn't work. After everything was installed. in the menu bar my airport now show :oN and everything works great. I'm able to connect to any type of WiFi Wep ,WAP, WAP2 with no problem.

On another note, I also bought a new BCM94321MC card that is Draft-n and went through the same steps and the card is recognized, but I'm not able to see any SSID's at all, nor able to add the connection and connect.

So we now have WiFi on our Aspire 6920G, even though it's only 54G, it's better then nothing, and it's not using a USB that you have to reboot with it plugged in on boot-up.

YEA!!!!!!!! :)

@aimski: thats great news. thanks for info. i have one of those 1490, but i could not get the acer to power it on in windows (whitelisted i assume). in the other slot it does get power and airport util shows up. system profiler says Third Party Wireless Card, if i try to configure airport it says no cards.

firing up windows 7, both cards were detected and connected to my wireless router. intel 4965 said poor signal (not surprising as it had no arial wires) but dell 1490 was running just fine on 54g and i am using it now. (on speedtest.net i got same times with 1490 and on ethernet through router so no probs)

"My fix was I deleted all network cards except for the Ethernet (you have to leave one there), then rebooted and re-added all the network, VPN, Airport Cards. I had to install the Airport first or this didn't work." can you explain how you did this?

if you want -n maybe this will work

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Apple-Airport-Wirele...4634.m332.l1262

Hi,

It's been a long time since I've been on these forums. If anyone is still having trouble with sound I'll be sure to look into it. Right now I'm waiting for the Intel wireless drivers to be finished and things are looking promising. I'm hoping they'll be ready by next month.

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum but I really like how everyone works together to nail down the issues. I used this tutorial and installed iDeneb v2 and I had all the issues but thanks to you all I was able to clear some of them. My sound is acting very strangely. I have installed the 889 driver and I have the icon in my top menubar and in the System Preferences I can access and adjust all the sliders and tabs, however I do not hear anything at all even with volume up and Internal Speakers chosen as Output Device, absolutely frustrating. So I believe here is a good one for you DPyro since you said you can check into it because this is really strange. I believe a while ago someone else was reporting this same issue but they said after three reboots their sound magically started working. But I was not that lucky and it does not want to work no matter however many reboots I do. Please give me some ideas to try and DPyro if you can find out what is happening that would be wonderful.

I must also add that I tried the 888 driver and 888d and they even did not activate the device so there was no icon in the top bar. So, I had to go back to 889 driver that was at least partially there but without sound. ALso, I have a new problem that I do not know if anybody else has or not. I found out that my clock at the top bar works only while my Acer 6920 is on but if I shut down, it stops working and therefor when I boot up there is a significant time lost like many many hours and this is very annoying but I wondered if this has anything to do with my sound not being heard at all.

Any help with these two issues would be greatly appreciated from you guys. I will keep an eye on this board for any ideas you guys can throw at these problems. ThanX.

@safeed: i assume you read all the posts here. the bit early on about rc.wakeup is not quite correct. i used the instructions below. just occasionally my sound will stop (me messing around usually) but can be started by running the .wakeup script manually from a terminal window.

I figured out that rc.wakeup does not require any editing, so please make sure you have installed a clean version of sleepwatcher (including the startup daemon). The startup daemon will execute a script called .wakeup under /Users/your-user-name as soon as the computer wakes from sleep. So please try the following:

under terminal, type the following:

nano -w /Users/your-user-name/.wakeup

when you're there, copy & paste the following:

#Begin wakeup script

#!/bin/sh

sudo kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/AttansicL1eEthernet.kext

sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/AttansicL1eEthernet.kext

sudo reggie_se -D PhysAddr -w 0x01470500 -a 0xfc300060 -B 32

sudo reggie_se -D PhysAddr -w 1 -a 0xfc300068 -B 32

sudo reggie_se -D PhysAddr -w 0x014707c0 -a 0xfc300060 -B 32

sudo reggie_se -D PhysAddr -w 0x01470c02 -a 0xfc300060 -B 32

#End wakeup script

Then exit (control + x), confirm saving and confirm the file name.

Then you have to make .wakeup executable by running the following command

sudo chmod +x .wakeup

This is supposed to run everytime you startup your computer or wake it from sleep, but for some reason it would not run the script properly on my computer, unless I had executed a sudo command shortly before sleep (and not letting it sleep for long either). This got me thinking and it seems that the sleepwatcher script is having problems with sudo scripts. This kind of requires a hack, so that OSX allows sudo commands to be run without a password prompt. I'm not sure what kind of a security risk this is, but I could not find any alternative. If somebody has suggestions I would love to hear them! For now you have to edit the sudoers file as follows:

sudo nano -w /etc/sudoers

and add:

username ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL

username being your real username. This will allow the specified user to run sudo commands without a password, and the sound immediately started working again.

@ gazzacbr: Hey man thanks it worked, I have my sound working now. However, it does not work at bootup even though I have made all the adjustments recommended including the creation of the .wakeup script and making sure it is executable, changing to no password for my username and also installing a fresh copy of the Sleepwatcher and it's Startup Daemon.

I checked the console and based on the log it seems that Sleepwatcher gets started and the session gets terminated but I am not sure if it executes the .wakeup script before getting terminated since I have no sound at bootup. But, If I run the .wakeup script either manually or telling the machine to sleep then wake it up in both cases the sound becomes activated immediately.

Correct me If I'm wrong but I am not positive if the Sleepwatcher runs the .wakeup script at startup since it seems that this program is intended only to handle the sleep and wakeup events and it won't get triggered at bootup like we want it to. I believe the active process for Sleepwatcher gets started and then it goes into a waiting state for those two specific events, either sleep or wakeup. I don't know if the program considers the boot event a wakeup event or not.

I tried to place the .wakeup script in the System/Startupitems folder and see if it would execute since now it is marked as "executable" but it did not run to activate the sound for me so I took it out. But I am almost positive that we can tell the Terminal to run the .wakeup script at bootup in silent non verbose mode without the use of Sleepwtcher for the boot event so that the sound becomes activated at machine startup. I worked with UNIX extensively some 20 years ago in a programming group of 9, however I suffer from the common symptom of "If you don't use it, you lose it." and also somewhat of information overload. I think if I start refreshing my memory it will come back to me very quickly.

If you or anyone else have any suggestions that I could try, it would be great since now I have sound, Yeahhh;) Are you or anyone else having the same issue with the sound not going active due to non working of Sleepwatcher process. I believe "Les Paulde" had this problem if I read it correctly but did he or anyone get the sound to work right after bootup without executing the script manually because as I said I have not been able to do that. My machine boots up in a dead silence mode.

Also, what is the purpose of Sleepwatcher Startup Daemon if it does not trigger to run a script, is it merely to get the Sleepwatcher Process started at bootup so that it awaits a sleep or wakeup event?

If the Sleepwatcher Startup Daemon can execute the .wakeup event at bootup how can I set that up because I tried to find the program folder in Spotlight and I could not find it to play around and see if I could fix this issue. I have also ran the command to unhide the hidden system files but still could not find where Sleepwatcher or it's Startup Daemon has been installed in the system, of course I did not look a very long time, only a couple of minutes.

I certainly appreciate the help from all members of this forum, after all good help is hard to come by these days since you get a lot of misinformation and bad advice but it seems to me that people here know what the heck they are talking about and for this I say more power to all you guys, namely Les Paulde, DPyro, gazzacbr and anyone that is actively contributing to help build a knowledgeable base.

Thank you all and special thanks for the hard work in creating the tutorial Les Paulde, great work.

@safeed: i know how you feel, the relief when you finally hear sound :)

mine boots up in silence also but if i go to the sound icon and change the volume level i have sound, so i assume that the .wakeup runs late. i am also a past unix man but soooo long ago ;)

Sleepwatcher Startup Daemon is supposed to run on wakeup and startup but i dont know much else about it. i can only say that mine does run on startup, i think, as sound is there after i have started (most times). otherwise, "open teminal, sudo ./.wakeup" is no big deal really.

os x is still strange to me, how something doesnt work, then you reboot, change nothing, then reboot, then it works :D

Hallo, i feel really hopeless, my problem is while booting from dvd.

I have Acer Aspire 6920G too and prepared partition formatted as FAT32.

The error looks like this:

panic(cpu 0 caller 0×002D950D): “nfs_boot_init failed with

6\n”@/VoodooKernel/xnu-1228.7.58/bsd/nfs/nfs_vsops.c:851

I don't uderstand it, pls help me. I have found almost nothing about this error on internet.

Thank you very much.

@gazzacbr: I totally agree about the OSX being a pain in some ways and for a really formidable OS that is built on UNIX backbone for heaven's sake it should be a lot smarter as far as handling drivers and hardware. But I think the issue is that Apple does not want to make hacking their OS too easy in order to keep the hardware builders that can become their hard line competitors at bay to keep them out of Apple's business for good. After all, Apple sales more hardware (and expensive ones too) than software. They are not like Microsoft which is exclusively a software company that refuses to get involved in hardware business. Microsoft lets other companies make hardware to run their software, but most of the time they certainly make sure to convince those companies to make hardware that primarily would run their software smoothly and they don't care if that piece of hardware could not run any other software. That's how the monopoly runs in Microsoft's vains and it is deep rooted in the company.

Anyhow, enough said. I was going to mention that you can make a copy of the .wakeup script and place it on the desktop near your drive icons and as soon as your desktop loads you can double click that icon in which it automatically opens Terminal and executes the script to activate your sound.

However, at the end of the script's execution when Terminal window logs out, it remains open and you should close it manually. If I remember correctly from my unix programming days way back, you could also insert a couple of lines of command to .wakeup script in order to close the Terminal session after it runs the script almost like a .bat file in the old MS-DOS. I can't remember what or how but I'm sure it is certainly do-able. Some unix commands are very similar in behavior to DOS in the way they act. I believe the commands that can be added to .wakeup script are key stroke emulation type and can be embedded within the script itself in order to close it after execution almost like when a function or subroutine exits to main once it's done. After all, scripts are nothing but unorganized standalone subroutines that do not pass any parameters back to anything like a main process, they are instead a cheap way of getting what you immediately need at the moment like a sandwich except less tasty. ;) However, I really think we should figure out how to run the damn thing and force it to make the sound activated at machine startup to make things run the way we want them not the way OSX wants to. I am going to try a few things and If I figure it out, I'll post my findings here.

@feeefic2: I believe you got a kernel panic here and it is because of the FAT32 formatting. If you have no data on the partition format it using NTFS file system then include the - NTFS support package as it is stated at the beginning on page one of the OSX Install Tutorial here written by Les Paulde in order to enable full read/write access to NTFS drives and avoid a kernel panic. If you have any data on the partition which would be kinda odd since you're trying to install OSX at this time and the partition should be empty and later you will have to erase it using the OSX installation wizard during the install process. However, if that is the case you must backup your data first and then proceed to format the partition with NTFS file system. Then later during the install process you will erase the partition with OSX installation wizard by chooing the "MAC OS X Extended Journaled" and the wizard will format the partition a second time from NTFS to this format specifically in order to work with OSX. The included NTFS support package will also make it possible for you to access any other NTFS partitions or drives that you may have in your PC. Remember, only data files are usable while operating in cross-platform situation. Data files such as music files, picture files, documents and so on and NOT any programs, utilities or executable codes since programs, utilities and executable codes are OS specific but data is always sharable between different OS. I hope this helps.

Hello, This is the only thread I found which deals with the Acer Aspire 6920G.

I got the Acer Aspire 6930G w/:

Processor: Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo T5800 @2.00 Ghz

Chipset: Mobile Intel GM45 Express

Package: Socket P478

Graphic: NVIDIA GeForce® 9300M GS

WiFi: Intel Wireless WiFi Link 5100/5300

Ethernet: Atheros AR8121/AR8113/AR8114 PCI-E Ethernet Controller

I don't care about the sound because I have a Native Instruments Kontrol 1 Soundcard.

I havent found a specific Thread for 6930G...

Is it worth a go with this tutorial?

i also have not found infos for my hardware... Sorry but i hope someone can help me!

Thanks for the answers!

Cheers

Jumpy :thumbsup_anim: