[GUIDE] Installing Snow Leopard/Leopard retail DVD on the GA-E7AUM-DS2H

dlach

761 posts in this topic

Please excuse the delay, I have a lot of work in these days. :) Because of the sound popping, I have uploaded a different DSDT and a another LegacyHDA.kext. Try to use them and keep me up to date if there is a difference. By the way, the GPU in System Profiler is just cosmetic issue, but I have reactivated the Nvidia String in DSDT so it now should show up in the correct way.

Yes, there is a way and it is quiet simple. *Click* You can use any type of USB-HDD or FD, but it has to have a minimum of 8 GB free space.

Thanks ... so i just overwrite those two files on Chameleon USB drive ? ( no need to do it via Terminal or repair permissions ? )

EDIT - so i copied them in Finder and GPU now shows up in System Profiler correctly but loud popping sound is even worse now. I think im going back to old Chameleon, this popping sound and IDE unavailability is killer.

Hello again,

Have you tried to disable SLI in BIOS?

Yes, Snow Leopard works only with SLI disabled in BIOS (at least for me).

When you do onboard graphic is disabled as well :( , do you use DVI-TO-HDMI in osx?

Yes, I use DVI-to-HDMI to connect the Geforce 8600 GTS to my Sony display

if yes please post me your NVCAP, display-cfg and other information you would say are usefull :)

Yesterday I played around with the new files from this thread, meaning e60 post. I just used those files and nothing else (like EFI-Strings) and the Geforce worked out of the box (still no SLI though). Amazing, thanks for that, specially AsereBLN.

But I have two minor issues:

1. Wrong CPU shown in System Profile.
    I have a core2duo, system profile shows core2solo. I searched the forum for a solution and discoverd a few, which actually haven't solved the problem (i.e. adding CPU type to smbios.plist). I really don't know if this has any impact on the system itself. Since I saw a lot of posts saying this is only a cosmetic issue. But I am not sure with that. OSX is quite sluggish when returing from sleep for example.
  2. Wrong RAM Frequency.
    I have 2x800 MHZ Ram build in but system profile show only 677MHZ. I added my values to the smbios.plist but it didn't help. At least system profile shows something. Before I had used AsereBLN files, system profile showed only an error in the RAM section.

Does anyone has an idea how to solve those issues? Or does it has no impact on the system and it is only a "cosmetic" issue? Does anyone also experience a sluggish system after returning from sleep?

Cheers

wanky

I need some help can't make EFI string. I have been trying to make EFI string using the method on Netkas forum but every time I get an error (invalid XML plist) Can some kind person post their EFI string for the onboard 9400. I've tried searching for one but all I'm finding is for 9400GT cards.

Update: Found the problem it was with textedit. I got my hex string and added it to my boot.plist in extra folder but no QE/CI :D Can someone take a look at the plist file and see if I did something wrong. Is there some other file I have to add or change to get QE/CI to work.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>PciRoot(0x1)/Pci(0x10,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)</key>
<dict>
	<key>@0,compatible</key>
	<string>NVDA,NVMac</string>
	<key>@0,device_type</key>
	<string>display</string>
	<key>@0,name</key>
	<string>NVDA,Display-A</string>
	<key>@1,compatible</key>
	<string>NVDA,NVMac</string>
	<key>@1,device_type</key>
	<string>display</string>
	<key>@1,name</key>
	<string>NVDA,Display-B</string>
	<key>NVCAP</key>
	<data>
	BAAAAAAAAwAEAAAAAAAABwAAAAA=
	</data>
	<key>NVPM</key>
	<data>
	AQAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA==
	</data>
	<key>VRAM,totalsize</key>
	<string>0x10000000</string>
	<key>device_type</key>
	<string>NVDA,GeForce</string>
	<key>model</key>
	<string>NVIDIA GeForce 9400</string>
	<key>name</key>
	<string>NVDA,Parent</string>
	<key>rom-revision</key>
	<string>0x302e3176</string>
</dict>
</dict>
</plist>

I need some help can't make EFI string. I have been trying to make EFI string using the method on Netkas forum but every time I get an error (invalid XML plist) Can some kind person post their EFI string for the onboard 9400. I've tried searching for one but all I'm finding is for 9400GT cards.

... if you are on GA-E7AUM-DS2H, you don't need any EFI-String. Just follow the instructions.

... if you are on GA-E7AUM-DS2H, you don't need any EFI-String. Just follow the instructions.

I am using GA-E7AUM-DS2H and I did follow the directions for SL there is nothing in the instructions about video.

I am using GA-E7AUM-DS2H and I did follow the directions for SL there is nothing in the instructions about video.

Take the F4-BIOS from Gigabyte.

Take the patched Chameleon-Bootloader from AsereBLN/Adidasprince uploaded here

Take the modified DSDT.aml from e60 uploaded here (it's included in the Sound.zip)

And everything should be fine :-)

Good luck!

Take the F4-BIOS from Gigabyte.

Take the patched Chameleon-Bootloader from AsereBLN/Adidasprince uploaded here

Take the modified DSDT.aml from e60 uploaded here (it's included in the Sound.zip)

And everything should be fine :-)

Good luck!

That did not work in fact it made it worse it won't even recognize the video card it loads the default vesa drivers.

Video with Chameleon in the guide, recognized but no QE/CI

NVIDIA GeForce 9400:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9400

Type: GPU

Bus: PCI

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x086a

Revision ID: 0x00b1

ROM Revision: NVIDIA GeForce 9400 OpenGL Engine

Displays:

Display Connector:

FPD2185W:

Resolution: 1680 x 1050 @ 60 Hz

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

Video with the Chameleon you pointed to

Display:

VRAM (Total): 32 MB

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768

That did not work in fact it made it worse it won't even recognize the video card it loads the default vesa drivers.

Video with the Chameleon you pointed to

Display:

VRAM (Total): 32 MB

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768

Do you use the last DSDT.aml by e60?

I used Gigabyte's F4 bios, e60's DSDT and AsereBLN/Adidasprince boot loader all the files you pointed to.

Sorry, no idea.

I made these steps for for installing the bootloader (OSX in first partition (after EFI) on first HDD)

- Install boot0 to the MBR:

sudo fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0

- Install boot1h to the partition's bootsector:

sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s2

- Install boot to the partition's root directory:

sudo cp boot /

DSDT is in /E and it works for me.

@olegischinski Thanks for your help

My QE/CI is working :wacko: I wish I knew about this it would have saved me a lot of time. I had no idea that System Profiler did not list that function anymore.

This is a simple how-to check to determine if you have Quartz Extreme (QE) and Core Image (CI). It seems that OSX 10.6 “Snow Leopard” doesn’t state that if you have both of it enabled or not. Prior to this , in order to determine if hardware acceleration was indeed working , one would take a look at System Profiler to check if both Quartz Extreme and Core Image are enabled or not. Apple has removed this functionality in OSX 10.6. Its because , all Intel Macs (yes, including Intel GMA 950) are capable of both Quartz Extreme and Core Image. There is no need to display if both of it is supported or not.

http://prasys.co.cc/tag/enable-qeci/

hi@all

Here comes a litle update. Because of a bug in Gigabytes DSDTs that is causing "Error 4117 - Length is larger than Min/Max window" error while using the newest iASL, I made a new cleaned up version of my DSDT originaly edited by AsereBLN's. You can find more infos about this error over here *click*

Thats not an error of the new iasl, its an real bug in the dsdt , which the new iasl compiler finds and complains

*Edit*

Any further information can be found from this post onwar. Please check the "@all" part at the end of the post.

Hey olegischinski,

no problem. :) I guess the easiest way to explain what is different, is to show what I have edited:

This is the Audio section from my recent uploaded DSDT:

Device (HDEF)
		 {
			 Name (_ADR, 0x00080000)
			 Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
			 {
				 Return (Package (0x02)
				 {
					 0x0D, 
					 0x05
				 })
			 }

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
			 {
				 Store (Package (0x08)
					 {
						 "codec-id", 
						 Buffer (0x04)
						 {
							 0x85, 0x08, 0xEC, 0x10
						 }, 

"layout-id", 
						 Buffer (0x04)
						 {
							 0x75, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00
						 }, 

"device-type", 
						 Buffer (0x10)
						 {
							 "Realtek ALC889a"
						 }, 

"PinConfigurations", 
						 Buffer (0x18)
						 {
							 /* 0000 */	0x10, 0x44, 0x11, 0x01, 0x20, 0x14, 0x01, 0x01, 
							 /* 0008 */	0x40, 0x4C, 0x21, 0x02, 0x50, 0x34, 0x81, 0x01, 
							 /* 0010 */	0x60, 0x9C, 0xA1, 0x02, 0xF0, 0x61, 0x4B, 0x01
						 }
					 }, Local0)
				 DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
				 Return (Local0)
			 }
		 }

And this one is from the new one:

Device (HDEF)
		 {
			 Name (_ADR, 0x00080000)
			 Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
			 {
				 Return (Package (0x02)
				 {
					 0x0D, 
					 0x05
				 })
			 }

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
			 {
				 Store (Package (0x0A)
					 {
						 "built-in", 
						 Buffer (One)
						 {
							 0x00
						 }, 

"codec-id", 
						 Buffer (0x04)
						 {
							 0x85, 0x08, 0xEC, 0x10
						 }, 

"layout-id", 
						 Buffer (0x04)
						 {
							 0x75, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00
						 }, 

"device-type", 
						 Buffer (0x10)
						 {
							 "Realtek ALC889a"
						 }, 

"PinConfigurations", 
						  Buffer (Zero) {}
					 }, Local0)
				 DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
				 Return (Local0)
			 }
		 }

As you can see, there is a "build in" entery and the "PinConfigurations" are deleted because there is no need for them. "PinConfigurations" are controlled by the kext you're using. One last side note. I think it makes sense to update to 10.6.3, because I have read somewhere (not shure where) that since the update there is a better Realtek ALC889a support in Mac OS.

But the main difference you can see here:

DWordMemory (ResourceProducer, PosDecode, MinFixed, MaxFixed, Cacheable, ReadWrite,
					 0x00000000,		 // Granularity
					 0xF0000000,		 // Range Minimum
					 0xFEBFFFFF,		 // Range Maximum
					 0x00000000,		 // Translation Offset
					 0xFFF00000,		 // Length -> this Length  is causing error 4117
					 ,, _Y03, AddressRangeMemory, TypeStatic)
				 DWordMemory (ResourceProducer, PosDecode, MinFixed, MaxFixed, Cacheable, ReadWrite,
					 0x00100000,		 // Range Minimum
					 0xEFFFFFFF,		 // Range Maximum
					 0xFFF00000,		 // Length -> this Length  is causing error 4117
					 ,, _Y02, AddressRangeMemory, TypeStatic)

Now it looks like this here:

0xF0000000,		 // Range Minimum
					 0xFEBFFFFF,		 // Range Maximum
					 0xEC00000,		  // Length -> edited Length
					 ,, _Y03, AddressRangeMemory, TypeStatic)
					 0x00100000,		 // Range Minimum
					 0xEFFFFFFF,		 // Range Maximum
					 0xEFF00000,		 // Length -> edited Length
					 ,, _Y02, AddressRangeMemory, TypeStatic)

That's not an issue! I had a uncompiled DSDT so it was only code pasting. :rolleyes: By the way, I would recommend to all people using the "old" DSDT I've uploaded to replace it with the newer one.

*€dit*

Any further information can be found from this post onwar. Please check the "@all" part at the end of the post.

Hey guys,

here comes another litle update. :) First of all I updated the DSDT once again :wacko: , because I finally succeeded to compile it without any Warnings. Until now there was a Warning if I compiled the DSDT that made me totally insane ...

DSDT.dsl  2885: Method (WMNV, 3, NotSerialized)
	  Warning  1088 - Not all control paths return a value (WMNV)

I was searching for a solution for a long time, and now finally everything is ok. ;) To solve the Warning I had to edit this section ...

Method (WMNV, 3, NotSerialized)
								  {
									  Store ("WMNV: ", Debug)
									  If (LGreaterEqual (SizeOf (Arg2), 0x08))
									  {
										  CreateDWordField (Arg2, Zero, FUNC)
										  CreateDWordField (Arg2, 0x04, SUBF)
										  If (LGreater (SizeOf (Arg2), 0x08))
										  {
											  Subtract (SizeOf (Arg2), 0x08, Local2)
											  ShiftLeft (Local2, 0x03, Local2)
										  }

CreateField (Arg2, 0x40, Local2, ARGS)
										  Store (FUNC, Debug)
										  Store (SUBF, Debug)
										  Store (ARGS, Debug)
										  Return (^^IXVE.IGPU.NVIF (FUNC, SUBF, ARGS))
									  }
									  Return (Zero) -> After adding this, everything is ok
								  }

I'm not shure if this has any effect, but it was important for me to have a DSDT without any Warnings, eaven if this is a litle bit wired. ;)

So far so good. Next thing I realized while booting in verbose mode was this message here ...

kernel ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::pushCPU_CSTData - _CST evaluation failed FakeSMC: key not found BEMB, length - 1
	  kernel ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::pushCPU_CSTData - _CST evaluation failed
	  kernel ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::registerLPCDriver - WARNING - LPC device initialization failed: C-state power management not initialized

I am not using any Powermanagement related kexts in Extra/Extensions folder because there is no need for them, so I was wondering why I get these messages on every boot. SystemProfiler told me everything is ok and AppleLPC driver for fully working SpeedStep is loaded. Than I checked my Bios settings and I releazed what was causing this message. I took some pictures to show you how you should configure your Bios to get rid of such messages and prepare your machine for Vanilla SpeedStep.

1. Restart your Computer and press delete on boot. You will enter Bios

2. Open "Advanced Bios Features" in the first step. Later you will need the other menus.

advancedbios01mvz6.jpg

Here you will find some C-state settings. Depending on which CPU you are using and which C-States your CPU suports, you only should see CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) enabled at default.

c-states02dvrj.jpg

c-states03gsfr.jpg

3. Not relevant for Speedstep, but maby interesting. Close the menu with "ESC" and open "Integrated Periferials". Here you have to check your IDE Controller mode. If it is still on IDE, please change it to AHCI. After changing leave with "ESC"

intergratedperiferials1j71.jpg

4. Last but not least you should check Power Management Setup. Please enable "HPET Support" and set "ACPI Suspend Type" to "S3(STR)".

powermanagement0565yd.jpg

After changing close with "ESC"

5. Choose "Save & Exit Setup" and reboot. Thats it! :)

Hey olegischinski,

I'm using your new DSDT, but I don't have these ACPI boot messages.

You're not getting these messages because of VoodooPState.kext. If you want to use Vanilla SpeedStep you have to delete VoodooPState.kext or any other Powermanagement related kexts in Extra/Extensions, you don't need this whole stuff. Furthermore your Bios (C-states) should be configurated in the right way.

You will have to activate all C-state settings to get SpeedStep working, but it depends on your CPU which of them are supported.

At the beginning you might see only one or two C-states if you enter your Bios, because at default or after loading "Optimized Defaults" there should be only CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) enabled. After activating the disabled once (C2/C2E State Support for example) and depanding on your CPU there should appear the rest of them if your CPU supports them.

I am using a Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 with C0 Stepping and it supports C1E, C2/C2E, C4/C4E. The E8400 with E0 Stepping supports furthermore C3/C3E. A a Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 supports only C1E for example. You see, there are several dependences on which C-states you will see.

You can check weather AppleLPC is loaded or not if you type the following into terminal ...

kextstat | grep LPC

The result should look like something like this ...

79	0 0x10b6000  0x3000	 0x2000	 com.apple.driver.AppleLPC (1.4.11) <14 5 4 3>

Or you just open your SystemProfiler -> Software -> Extensions and look for AppleLPC. The screenshot is taken from a iMac, but it doesn't matter. :(

applelpc50dz.jpg

hi e60,

same CPU here (E8400 - E0), BIOS settings as recommended.

no PM-related kexts

no ACPI boot messages as you described

kextstat | grep LPC gives:

64 0 0xffffff7f80fb7000 0x3000 0x3000 com.apple.driver.AppleLPC (1.4.11) <9 5 4 3>

But there is no speedstepping.

CPU Temp is up to 50°C.

If I'm using VoodooPState.kext CPU Temp is about 40°C.

I've notice on real Macs speedstepping has no influence on sysctl output (e.g. hw.cpufrequency), but I can keep watch on it with CPU-i.

Booting my Hac in this configuration, CPU-i shows no P-State and only a CPU frequency of 2997 Mhz.

AFAIK there must be a modification in DSDT. I've play arround following this guide. But no success, always get compile errors, caused by the inserted CPU related stuff.

Any ideas?

Hmmm... very strange. Which FakeSMC do you're using? I am using V 2.5 . Maby this is the key to your SpeedStepping?

I'm using V2.5 too, but did add two SMCKeys (BEMB & MSDS) ... can't remember why ;)

I will try out the original one later this evening ...

Edit: no difference with the original fakesmc (beside OpenHaltRestart, LegacyHDA and JMicronATA in /E/E)

Please excuse the delay, I was on a weekend trip. After your post I've downloaded VoodooMonitor to check my CPU Temps and I was a litle bit surprised about the results. You were absolutley right! Without further DSDT modifications SpeedStep seems not to work properly. This is a screenshot taken before modifying my DSDT ...

noc-statetuul.png

The screenshot looks exactly the same like you described your results. After modifying the DSDT it looks a little bit different ;) ...

c-stateiu5k.png

To verify the results I downloaded CPUCooL and booted into Windows without the modified DSDT ...

cpucool4pme.png

As you can see, it looks very similar to the screenshot I made on Mac OS.

Because of PStateChanger was not working on my machine, I searched for the E8400 values on the Internet and used them to do the modifications. So could you please do me a big favor and post your PStateChanger results here? This would be very healpfull to verify the edits. Furthermore it would be great if you could test the DSDT.aml attached below and give me feedback.* But note, this is just the first testversion using "GenericScopePR".

*Updated file on this posting

Part 2: Installing Snow Leopard using a retail 10.6 DVD on the GA-E7AUM-DS2H

When I get to this step:

17) Rebuild your Extensions.mkext file running the following commands in a terminal window (thanks to rbonon/zhell):

sudo rm /Extra/Extensions.mkext 
  sudo kextcache -v 1 -t -l -m /Extra/Extensions.mkext \ 
	 /Extra/Extensions /System/Library/Extensions

Terminal says this:

rm: /Extra/Extensions.mkext: No such file or directory

What did I do wrong?

Seems like the install is working EXCEPT for audio (I have none).

@olegischinski

I made some other edits on the DSDT and the results are looking better ...

bildschirmfoto2010-06-xgrl.png

Now Frequency, Multiplier and Voltage are changing dynamic depending on CPU load. Could you please test the newer version?

@all

If there are more Core 2 Duo E8400 (C0) users, please feel free to test the new DSDT.aml. To verify if it is working in the right way, please download VoodooMonitor and voodoopstate.v4.zip from this thread and post your result here.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

@shawndoggy

Terminal says this:

CODE

rm: /Extra/Extensions.mkext: No such file or directory

What did I do wrong?

You are getting this message because I suspect that you are don't using a Extensions.mkext. By the way, I 'm not using Extensions.mkext too. :)

Seems like the install is working EXCEPT for audio (I have none).

Which Bios, DSDT and Leagacy.kext do you are using?