[GUIDE] Installing Snow Leopard/Leopard retail DVD on the GA-E7AUM-DS2H

dlach

761 posts in this topic

...like the problem I mention in my other post (as soon as I type it up).

I am going to hold off on that post. I think the main problem that I am having is not knowing how the kexts work, how to install them or how to get them onto the desktop. I will read up on this and submit to asking here if I just "don't get it" :-)

I request one clarification though, can some one tell me the difference between steps 7 and 12 of the Snow Leopard guide? I include them here for your convenience:

7) After OSX has booted and you've done all the account creation stuff, get the following onto your desktop either via ethernet or a USB stick (get them at the bottom of this post). The Chameleon V2 RC3 installer package, sleepenabler.kext and optionally nForceLan.kext and the kexts from Jon55's post too.

I downloaded these onto a USB Flash drive and unzipped them using Windows then copied the unzipped file using Mac OS X from the USB Flash drive onto the Mac's desktop.

12) After rebooting get the following kext from Jon55's "Kext 64bits.zip" file: LegacyHDAPlatformDriver.kext, OpenHaltRestart.kext, PlatformUUID.kext, Sleepenabler.kext and Extra/Extensions folder on the disk you installed on.

Did I not do this in step 7? Did step 7 refer to the ZIP file and I should have unzipped them using Mac OS X?

I will go ahead and tinker more this evening. Thanks much! SGarcia

I am going to hold off on that post. I think the main problem that I am having is not knowing how the kexts work, how to install them or how to get them onto the desktop. I will read up on this and submit to asking here if I just "don't get it" :-)

I request one clarification though, can some one tell me the difference between steps 7 and 12 of the Snow Leopard guide? I include them here for your convenience:

I downloaded these onto a USB Flash drive and unzipped them using Windows then copied the unzipped file using Mac OS X from the USB Flash drive onto the Mac's desktop.

Did I not do this in step 7? Did step 7 refer to the ZIP file and I should have unzipped them using Mac OS X?

I will go ahead and tinker more this evening. Thanks much! SGarcia

You may have already done this. Initially I included links or reference those kext on the bootISO. If you get them directly from jon55 that is fine.

One thing to watch out for is windows zip. It doesn't always interact well with OSX.

About kexts. When I say get them onto your desktop, I mean insert your USB drive, this usually pops up a finder window (if not you can open a finder window and click on the drive which is in the left pane under devices) . Anyway, just grab the files with your mouse and drag them on to your desktop. Most of the kexts can then just be dragged from the desktop into the /Extra/Extensions folder in a finder window. You'll be prompted to authenticate the copy but that is all you need to do. Some of the kexts need to go into /System/Library/Extenstions. Of these there are two types, one that you can install using something like KextUtility or just the right sequence of commands in a terminal window, and those like nForceLan which apparently needs to be installed using an installer for that specific kext. Anytime you mess with /S/L/E it is you need to clear your extension cache (instructions toward the end of the guide) and use the disk utility to repair permissions.

As I said, I try to stay away from adding kexts period, but particularly any that have to go into /S/L/E.

As for solving the >2GB problem with Chameleon. The man is AdidasPrince, there is a link to his solution in the guide.

Welcome to the world of OSX86, it is challenging but pretty much worth it. I think a surprising number of people just wind up buying real Macs after a while (probably part of the reason Apple tolerates us), I know I have. But it is a good an inexpensive way to get into it.

Thanks for the additional info. I will follow up. Totally agree that this is sooo worth it. Beats buying a Learn Mac OS X for Dummies book! :-) Regards, SGarcia

You may have already done this. Initially I included links or reference those kext on the bootISO. If you get them directly from jon55 that is fine.

One thing to watch out for is windows zip. It doesn't always interact well with OSX.

About kexts. When I say get them onto your desktop, I mean insert your USB drive, this usually pops up a finder window (if not you can open a finder window and click on the drive which is in the left pane under devices) . Anyway, just grab the files with your mouse and drag them on to your desktop. Most of the kexts can then just be dragged from the desktop into the /Extra/Extensions folder in a finder window. You'll be prompted to authenticate the copy but that is all you need to do. Some of the kexts need to go into /System/Library/Extenstions. Of these there are two types, one that you can install using something like KextUtility or just the right sequence of commands in a terminal window, and those like nForceLan which apparently needs to be installed using an installer for that specific kext. Anytime you mess with /S/L/E it is you need to clear your extension cache (instructions toward the end of the guide) and use the disk utility to repair permissions.

As I said, I try to stay away from adding kexts period, but particularly any that have to go into /S/L/E.

As for solving the >2GB problem with Chameleon. The man is AdidasPrince, there is a link to his solution in the guide.

Welcome to the world of OSX86, it is challenging but pretty much worth it. I think a surprising number of people just wind up buying real Macs after a while (probably part of the reason Apple tolerates us), I know I have. But it is a good an inexpensive way to get into it.

Crud, I had everything working and then I installed addidasprince's Chameleon and now it just hangs on the Apple logo boot screen. Any idea what I did wrong? I could hook my hard drive up to my MacBook if I knew what to do. :D

On boot OS X gets to loading the network drivers, lists each interface, and then just stops. There is no obvious sign of what it is stuck on.

Crud, I had everything working and then I installed addidasprince's Chameleon and now it just hangs on the Apple logo boot screen. Any idea what I did wrong? I could hook my hard drive up to my MacBook if I knew what to do. :(

On boot OS X gets to loading the network drivers, lists each interface, and then just stops. There is no obvious sign of what it is stuck on.

What instructions/procedure did you follow?

Clicked link, got "Page not found"

Searched all entries of 4/2009, no dice. Can you give more info about this guide?

Thanks, Garcia

ok,

here is an extract from the doc of original chameleon bootloader (http://chameleon.osx86.hu)

Normal Install (non-RAID):
 --------------------------

Suppose that your installation is on /dev/disk0s2

- Install boot0 to the MBR:
  		sudo fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0

- Install boot1h to the partition's bootsector:
 		sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s2

- Install boot to the partition's root directory:
 		sudo cp boot /

Take the corresponding files from the patched Chameleon posted by addidasprince.

Good luck!

Crud, I had everything working and then I installed addidasprince's Chameleon and now it just hangs on the Apple logo boot screen. Any idea what I did wrong? I could hook my hard drive up to my MacBook if I knew what to do. :(

Any chance that it is "Still waiting for root device"?

I just booted my installation and it also hung on the gray screen with the Apple logo then after a few minutes I got a small image at the top part of the apple with a circle and line across it, like the typical "no smoking" signs we see. I saw the message when I rebooted and selected "verbose boot" in Chameleon.

I also attempted to install the Cham patch, but the last setup screen told me that the installation had failed. I also modified the file com.apple.boot.plist with my disk's UID, but was unable to edit the Info.plist file in the PlatformUUID kext.

I saw a thread here somewhere dealing with this specific message, so I am going to read up on it. There should be a method to revert back to a previous functional state. Regards.

No, it isn't stuck on "waiting for root device" I booted in verbose mode and it stopped right after loading listing the network interfaces. As for the install method, I installed 10.6 using the instructions at the beginning of this thread and than ran the installer adidasprince supplied for his custom Chameleon. After looking back through this thread I think I see where I went wrong. From post 297:

A "very simple" recipe:

1. Install original Chameleon package after SL installation

2. Extract a file named "boot" from core/usr/standalone/i386 in my Chameleon package

3. Override /usr/standalone/i386/boot with the above one

4. Restart, and see the memory table is without overlapping

So I guess I nuked my Chameleon with an old version that doesn't support SL? I am going to try reinstalling Chameleon and the try these directions. Does that sound right?

Edit: I reinstalled Chameleon and It is still freezing at the same point.

Ok, this thread goes in 5 different directions. I propose we fork the thread into discussing problems and another as a knowledge repository with known solutions, suopport files, and HOWTOs.

A lot of you have done some very fine work and I thank the contributors.

After reading through the thread, I am still confused: Is there a patched Chameleon for SL which allows >2GB with onboard gfx? I just installed 8Gb and memtest fails horribly, as expected. If such a package exists, can someone link to the post or wherever the package is hosted?

TIA,

zd

Ok, this thread goes in 5 different directions. I propose we fork the thread into discussing problems and another as a knowledge repository with known solutions, suopport files, and HOWTOs.

A lot of you have done some very fine work and I thank the contributors.

After reading through the thread, I am still confused: Is there a patched Chameleon for SL which allows >2GB with onboard gfx? I just installed 8Gb and memtest fails horribly, as expected. If such a package exists, can someone link to the post or wherever the package is hosted?

TIA,

zd

Yes addidasprince has a patch for >2GB.

The patch is linked on post #1 in the Notices section. I just found that it was off by two posts and fixed it.

Dlach, a small error in your guide.

In step #3 as outlined in the quote below, the user should hit F5 after swapping out the disks. I saw this only after reading the guide something like 7 times! :-D

Part 2: Installing Snow Leopard using a retail 10.6 DVD on the GA-E7AUM-DS2H

<snipped>

3) Make sure you don't have more than 2GB of ram installed. Boot from the BootCD.iso CD you burned. When the chameleon appears and BootCD is the icon in the middle of the screen, remove the boot CD and put in the Retail SL DVD. Wait a couple of seconds and hit f10. The icon in the middle will be replaced with the SL Retail cd. Hit enter and the install will start.

Yes addidasprince has a patch for >2GB.

The patch is linked on post #1 in the Notices section. I just found that it was off by two posts and fixed it.

Pardon my skepticism, but the file name looks like it precludes use on 10.6. Just wanted to verify before I install. I hate hosing up the loader.

BTW, a little background, I've been using this board since it came out. I have it in an Ahanix D-Vine case and it really works well. I recently did some overclocking with the E8400 on it and did a write up on swapping out the cooler. Check it out, it may help someone.

http://zbox.gotdns.org/?p=33

zd

Dlach, a small error in your guide.

In step #3 as outlined in the quote below, the user should hit F5 after swapping out the disks. I saw this only after reading the guide something like 7 times! :-D

Eh? F10 is what I always use. It work with every Chameleon based bootISO I've ever tried.

Pardon my skepticism, but the file name looks like it precludes use on 10.6. Just wanted to verify before I install. I hate hosing up the loader.

BTW, a little background, I've been using this board since it came out. I have it in an Ahanix D-Vine case and it really works well. I recently did some overclocking with the E8400 on it and did a write up on swapping out the cooler. Check it out, it may help someone.

http://zbox.gotdns.org/?p=33

zd

I haven't used it myself but if you read from the link on through the thread you'll see that others have.

BTW, I use the same case. Have you gotten OSX lcdproc or any means of driving the VFD working?

Eh? F10 is what I always use. It work with every Chameleon based bootISO I've ever tried.

I haven't used it myself but if you read from the link on through the thread you'll see that others have.

BTW, I use the same case. Have you gotten OSX lcdproc or any means of driving the VFD working?

I never got the chance to fool around with the LCD panel. It was shot when I got the case used off eBay. Behind the front aperture, using the LCD mounting standoffs, I mounted a TwistedMelon infrared sensor. IIRC, that LCD had a serial interface. I bought a USB to serial adapter, but like I said, my LCD was shot when I got it and never fooled around with software to drive it.

zd

Thanks for the feedback. I went back to the boot screen and tried F10 and this works fine! The instructions on that screen mention to swap the disk, wait a bit and then hit F5, but it looks like F10 works just as well. I was curious to see if other keys worked as well, but I did nto have any patience and did not try them out. Again thanks for your guidance. Saga

Thanks for the assist. I am now revisiting this issue. The commands that you provide seem somewhat dangerous. I just need to understand them better.

When I get AdidasPrince's package I extract the three files that you mention, boot, boot0 and boot1h.

I then run the three commands listed:

Since boot0 is going to MBR, /dev/rdisk0 is constant, that is, it is independent of wherever I have my Mac OS X installation, Is this correct?

This is dependent on where I have my OS installation. Since I have it on disk0s2 the above command will work for me as is.

sudo cp boot /

Ok, clear enough :-)

One question regarding all three sudo commands. I assume that the boot0, boot1h and boot that are specified in each sudo command refer to the files that I extracted. Where does it assume to find these files? Since only the file name is given I figure that it looks for them in the "default" directory. Is this so? If so then where is this so that I can place the extracted files there.

General question about the sudo command, specifically the one in step 15 of the install guide:

sudo kextcache -v 1 -t -l -m /Extra/Extensions.mkext \

/Extra/Extensions /System/Library/Extensions

What is that \ char for? I looked up sudo and saw a very brief mention about using \ as an escape character. Is it used as a line continuation char? There is lots of documentation about sudo describing every option, but nothing I could find about how \ is used in the above command.

I am almost there! I can taste victory!! Thanks for helping me out.

ok,

here is an extract from the doc of original chameleon bootloader (http://chameleon.osx86.hu)

Normal Install (non-RAID):
 --------------------------

Suppose that your installation is on /dev/disk0s2

- Install boot0 to the MBR:

- Install boot1h to the partition's bootsector:

- Install boot to the partition's root directory:
 		sudo cp boot /

Take the corresponding files from the patched Chameleon posted by addidasprince.

Good luck!

Thanks for the assist. I am now revisiting this issue. The commands that you provide seem somewhat dangerous. I just need to understand them better.

When I get AdidasPrince's package I extract the three files that you mention, boot, boot0 and boot1h.

I then run the three commands listed:

Since boot0 is going to MBR, /dev/rdisk0 is constant, that is, it is independent of wherever I have my Mac OS X installation, Is this correct?

This is dependent on where I have my OS installation. Since I have it on disk0s2 the above command will work for me as is.

sudo cp boot /

Ok, clear enough :-)

You are the One ;-)

One question regarding all three sudo commands. I assume that the boot0, boot1h and boot that are specified in each sudo command refer to the files that I extracted. Where does it assume to find these files? Since only the file name is given I figure that it looks for them in the "default" directory. Is this so? If so then where is this so that I can place the extracted files there.

Assume boot0 is on your Desktop, type (long version with full path)

sudo fdisk -f /Users/YOUR_NAME/Desktop/boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0

or (without leading slash)

sudo fdisk -f Desktop/boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0

or you type

cd Desktop

then you are in the "folder" Desktop an can use the short command above.

General question about the sudo command, specifically the one in step 15 of the install guide:

sudo kextcache -v 1 -t -l -m /Extra/Extensions.mkext \

/Extra/Extensions /System/Library/Extensions

What is that \ char for? I looked up sudo and saw a very brief mention about using \ as an escape character. Is it used as a line continuation char?

Above it's a markup of a long line.

Other usage, e.g.

/Users/USERNAME/Desktop/My\ Folder/ -> folder name on Desktop "My Folder"

Good luck!

Above it's a markup of a long line.

Other usage, e.g.

/Users/USERNAME/Desktop/My\ Folder/ -> folder name on Desktop "My Folder"

Good luck!

Correct. The intention is that you can copy those two lines and paste them into a terminal window and then hit return.

It's aliiiiiiive!!!!!

I am now writing this post from my new Mac. Frankentosh is alive!

Thank you all for your assistance in getting me this far. And even more for this journey that even though it was long and hard, it was well worth it.

Official begin date: Jan 3, 2010

End date: Mar. 23, 2010

One further question:

In the BIOS I can enable/disable SMART for the hard drive and in another screen the Graphics boost. Is there any benefit if I enable them? Or any caveats? Thanks!

Regards! SGarcia

I succeeded, GA-E7AUM-DS2H on 8GB memory.

I am Japanese.

sorry ,Broken English.

fast look,

post-197253-1269433950_thumb.png

I use memory test tools,

memtest.zip

This tool is "Allocated Memory Lock" in use .

but ,over 4096MBytes is Darwin Kernel said,

' Ouch !! , Don't Lock.... :P '

"Dah~~~~!! Terminal Multi Starting!!!!! " ....I Said.

7893.9M,succeeded.... and, No Kernel panic.

Phase 1,

BIOS = F4E

BIOS Setting,

Onboard VGA(Geforce9400M) not use.

Video Memory Disable(0MByte)

COM Port & PRT Port Disable

SATA mode "AHCI"

Phase 2,

My PCIex Graphic card is "Geforce 9800GTX+ 512MB".

Boot partition "USB Card reader"on "SD-Card Volume"

Phase 3,

Com.Apple.boot.plist

"Use "device-properties" with Geforce .

Snow Leopard 10.6.2 Vanilla Kext."

Phase 4,

adidasprince's POSTed Keyword,

"Fedora11 iomem" & "Chameleon Patch"

And....

single-User mode & Safe mode is non memory problem.

!!!

"Confrict is PCI Address & Memory Address Interstice Undefined Address??”

look it!

iomem.8G.0M.rtf

iomem_fix.pdf

and,

Chameleon 2.0 RC4 r684 patched file.(PCI Grabo 512M only?)

PCIex512M_Card_source.zip

Caution!!!!

lspci -v

PCI address

0xd0000000

0xe8000000

0xec000000

only!!!

Happy Hacking!!

oh!,

Special Thx.

Dr.adidasprince.

Well, after following the guide to a tee three times last night, formatting and starting over, I still can not get the thing to boot without a CD. Snow Leopard install btw.

The error on boot:

boot0: GPT

boot0: testing...

boo0t: error/done

I have tried the files attached, stock chameleon from their site, RC4, manual installs, gui installs. Nada.

I have e7aum, c2q 8200, 2x2gb ocz reaper (2 of the 4 not installed obviously), 2x320 western digital hdds raided for storage, 1x1.5TB seagate for the OS. I'm not trying to dual boot, just straight up SL.

Any ideas? I've been fighting with this for a long time now, lol.

If I understand correctly, you managed to successfully install Snow Leopard and are able to boot to it using the BootCD. Is this correct?

Did you install the Chameleon package that is referenced in the link given in this guide?

Did you do steps 7 through 11, shutting down only at step 11? In one of my installs (did about 5 of them!) I think that I shut down after I installed Chameleon and something went wrong when I started the PC bacj up, but when I did the above steps and shutdown only at step 11 everything worked well. I do not know if this was due to some other issue, as I did not experiment enough to see if I could reporduce the problem.

I notice that you mention that your disks are RAIDed. You might want to try the install using a simple HDD install. Is the SATA mode in your BIOS set to AHCI? You might want to test removing the storage HDDs and doing the install with just the 1.5TB HDD. I assume all HDDs are SATA. Regards

Well, after following the guide to a tee three times last night, formatting and starting over, I still can not get the thing to boot without a CD. Snow Leopard install btw.

The error on boot:

boot0: GPT

boo0t: error/done

I have tried the files attached, stock chameleon from their site, RC4, manual installs, gui installs. Nada.

I have e7aum, c2q 8200, 2x2gb ocz reaper (2 of the 4 not installed obviously), 2x320 western digital hdds raided for storage, 1x1.5TB seagate for the OS. I'm not trying to dual boot, just straight up SL.

Any ideas? I've been fighting with this for a long time now, lol.

All hard drives are SATA. The two raided hdd's are not being used at all for the OS. They are just extra storage. They are however disk0 and disk1, the 1.5TB OSX hdd is disk3. I wouldn't think that matters since I'm doing all of the installs correctly.

I followed this guide some 6 months ago I think and have been using SL since with no issues other then 1) I can't boot without CD 2) since I can boot from the hdd, I can't use princes 2GB fix, so I'm stuck using half my ram. So yes, my BIOS is all correct. And yes, I used all of the linked files one time, didn't work. Then tried stock rc3, didn't work. Then tried stock rc4, didn't work.

Yes, I followed the guide perfectly. I've been here before and removed all of my posts. I tried to help to make the writeup a little easier to follow and ended up pissing some people off. The only issue I can see in is guide is sleepenabler is listed twice, once in step #7 and once in step #11. I did it both ways and it didn't help. And why would it really, it should have little to do with the boot process.

The only difference I see in your install by what you mention is the hard drive configuration.

All hard drives are SATA. The two raided hdd's are not being used at all for the OS. They are just extra storage. They are however disk0 and disk1, the 1.5TB OSX hdd is disk3. I wouldn't think that matters since I'm doing all of the installs correctly.

It shouldn't matter, but obviously something is mattering to the Chameleon. It is just a matter of isolating the "offending" party. I would do the following

1. Get another SATA hard drive (buy, borrow, etc.) for testing, preferably less than 1TB
  2. Remove the three hard drives now installed
  3. Attach test hard drive to SATA2_0 connector on MB
  4. Reinstall SL following this guide. Test.
  5. Add two RAIDed storage drives. Test.

If the above does not allow you to boot off the HD then we know that the problem is not in the drive configuration. If it boots correctly then you may want to repeat the above procedure now using the 1.5TB drive. If the above procedure worked and redoing it with the original drive still does not work then perhaps it is the size of the drive that is affecting the outcome. This is illogical, but when dealing with these kinds of issues we need to open our minds to possibilities that we would not normally consider. Regards, SGarcia

I followed this guide some 6 months ago I think and have been using SL since with no issues other then 1) I can't boot without CD 2) since I can boot from the hdd, I can't use princes 2GB fix, so I'm stuck using half my ram. So yes, my BIOS is all correct. And yes, I used all of the linked files one time, didn't work. Then tried stock rc3, didn't work. Then tried stock rc4, didn't work.

Yes, I followed the guide perfectly. I've been here before and removed all of my posts. I tried to help to make the writeup a little easier to follow and ended up pissing some people off. The only issue I can see in is guide is sleepenabler is listed twice, once in step #7 and once in step #11. I did it both ways and it didn't help. And why would it really, it should have little to do with the boot process.

You never pissed anybody off, I just asked you to clarify one aspect of your otherwise excellent summary of the guide. I'm glad to see you back and hope we can help you get where you want to be.

I think you should take the raid out of the equation. Whenever I land in this kind of situation I try to simplify.

Get everything working then add stuff. I think the fact that raid is disk0 is probably goofing up the boot. You probably have to explicitly point to your boot partition in com.apple.boot.plist. Let's get you booting again and then move on from there. Let us know...