[GUIDE] Installing Snow Leopard/Leopard retail DVD on the GA-E7AUM-DS2H

dlach

761 posts in this topic

@Maharajamd

3. Using a MBR partitioned flash drive or usb hdd, install the new F4 bios. -> If you want to use a USB drive or a USB HDD, you have to slect GUID Partition Scheme.

1. Do all of this with 2GB installed memory until it's all working, correct? -> Yes

2. The installer is installing chameleon and all needed kexts on its own (other then HDA), correct? -> Yes

2B. So in that, there is no need to do any terminal work, correct? - Yes :)

^No that can't be. Let's be more clear here.

Bootable 'Chameleon' USB flash drive = GUID/OSX Extended Journaled

USB flash drive for the BIOS install = MBR/FAT

I mean, when I just did my BIOS updates over the weekend, it would not recognize anything but FAT.

The installer contains AsereBLN's booter. It is a Chameleon 2 RC 4 + PCEFI10.5 based bootloader with AsereBLN's patches + adidasprince 2GB limitaion patch. All in all the installer is everything you need if you don't want to mess around with terminal stuff. :)

The installer contains AsereBLN's booter. It is a Chameleon 2 RC 4 + PCEFI10.5 based bootloader with AsereBLN's patches + adidasprince 2GB limitaion patch. All in all the installer is everything you need if you don't want to mess around with terminal stuff. :D

So, all we need are the files in post #449 and running the installer? That is almost too good to be true :( .

Being the cautious type, I am wondering what my fallback options are if this thing fails: Am I looking at a complete reinstall? I tried what was suggested to me before (reverting booter back to the one from dlach's post), but I could not get the old one reinstalled and I was forced to do a reinstall.

Also, I found a SleepEnabler that supposedly works for several versions 10.6 through 10.6.3. Is that one going to be needed anymore?

As a closing remark in this post: A big round of thanks go out to this forum for helping out a noob :D

So, all we need are the files in post #449 and running the installer? That is almost too good to be true :) .

Being the cautious type, I am wondering what my fallback options are if this thing fails: Am I looking at a complete reinstall? I tried what was suggested to me before (reverting booter back to the one from dlach's post), but I could not get the old one reinstalled and I was forced to do a reinstall.

Also, I found a SleepEnabler that supposedly works for several versions 10.6 through 10.6.3. Is that one going to be needed anymore?

As a closing remark in this post: A big round of thanks go out to this forum for helping out a noob :D

Lever,

See my post telling you what to do. If you have chameleon installed and working you don't need to reinstall, just copy the boot file and dsdt.aml as instructed. As for sleep enabler, as per the posts from e60 and me you don't need it. Read the last few posts from e60 and me on this topic.

As for sleep enabler, as per the posts from e60 and me you don't need it.

I don't think I phrased my question properly: My question is not so much if I need it or not (I can read and understand from the posts that I don't). My question was more will it be a problem that I have them, or in other words: Should I be removing them before attempting this?

@TheLever

Let my try to clarify the situation. Unfortunately sometimes my english can be maby a litle bit confusing, because I still have some difficulties with the grammar. :wacko:

So, all we need are the files in post #449 and running the installer? That is almost too good to be true :wacko: .

The installer I've posted, contains the bootloader, DSDT.aml, smbios.plist, com.apple.Boot.plist, and kext files we need for our board, except LegacyHDA.kext. It has nothing to do with the installation procedure dlach postet on his Guide. You can use this installer if you don't want to mess around with terminal stuff appertaining to your bootloader. The only thing you have to do before using it, is to replace the smbios.plist with yours or just edit mine. To do so, you have to select the inslaller icon and choose "show package contents". You will find the smbios.plist in Contents>Resource>Extra. Like I wrote before, here you can edit mine or replace it.

If you have a running Chameleon, you don't have to do so necessarily. Then you can take the boot file, the DSDT.aml and if you want to the com.apple.Boot.plist located in the zip file you can find on post #449 to replace your own. This was the advise dlach wrote before. :)

If you are unsure and just want to test the installer, take a USB stick, format it with GUID and install the bootloader on the stick. Please don't forget to change your Bios settings in this case, so that you will be able to boot from USB sitck (Hard Disk Boot Priority and First/Second/Third Boot Device in Advanced Bios Settings / Features). One last note. If you want to use AsereBLN's DSDT.aml, I recomend to update your Bios to F4.

If you're using AsereBLN's DSDT.aml, there is no need to use the SleepEnabler. Sleep will work, but your Lan connection will be broken resuming from it.

Well, I did this last night right after work. Although I realize now I need to edit the smbios for my memory...

Anyways, all went well until I tried to boot up off the usb stick. It was a little odd. Chameleon booted straight tot he command line. So I clicked on my osx hdd (the only hdd shown) and it didn't do anything. It just sat there.

So after hitting enter a few times I realized that it was showing a super quick error message. Now I can't recall exactly but the error was something like... "Can't locate bootsector Error: 100H" or something along those lines.

@Maharajamd

This is realy frustrating! It seems that Chameleon isn't able to find your boot partition. ;) But I'm not shure. Please let us know how do you set up the stick. I mean in every step! Have you tryied to format your stick once again and reinstall Chameleon?

My procedure last night...

1. Re-partitioned USB-FD with GUID/MEJ, labeled 'Chameleon'

2. Installed Azeres package to USB-FD

3. Re-partitioned USB-HD with MBR/FAT, labeled 'Bios'

4. Moved F4 bios to USB-HD

5. Rebooted, loaded QFlash or whatever by holding 'End'

6. Installed BIOS from drive, success

7. Rebooted, disconnected USB-HD, loaded BIOS, made all needed changes. F10 (Save & Exit)

8. Booted off the USB-FD

It makes it past verifying dmi pool, loads chameleon, goes straight to the command prompt screen (like if I hit 'Tab'), and sits there. When I hit enter on the HD it lists (the correct hdd), it does nothing and gives me the 100H sector error.

This may sound crazy but I read this on x86.hu....

Well, just in case anyone was following the “can’t find mach_kernel” issue, here’s the resolution. The EP45-UD3R mobo accesses SATA #1 before it accesses SATA #0. I had my boot drive plugged into SATA connector 0 and my data drive in SATA 1. Switching the cables solved the problem. Sure hope this helps solve any similar problems for others!

I too have my SINGLE HDD on SATA0 right now. I have the raid unplugged until I get it all working.

2. Installed Azeres package to USB-FD

Can you please specify what do you mean with this? Did you used the installer or terminal?

Never mind. Please try to do the following:

1. Format your USB drive with GUID Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and label it Chameleon

2. Download Chameleon-2.0-RC4-r684-bin.tar.gz from Chameleon web side (for some reason the link is not allowed here) and save it on your USB drive

3. Create your Extra and Extensions folder on the stick. Extra has to be on root path (Chameleon/Extra) and containing your Extensions folder (Extra/Extensions)

4. Type the following into terminal:

~] > cd /Volumes/Chameleon/
 [/Volumes/Chameleon] > xattr -d com.apple.quarantine Chameleon-2.0-RC4-r684-bin.tar.gz

After doing so, doubleclick Chameleon-2.0-RC4-r684-bin.tar.gz to extract the content.

5. Place AsereBNL's DSDT.aml, your smbios.plist and com.apple.Boot.plist into Extra. Fakesmc.kext and OpenHaltRestart.kext you have to put into Extensions

6. Open terminal again and type:

[/Volumes/Chameleon] > diskutil list

The result should look like this

/dev/disk0
 #:					   TYPE NAME						SIZE	   IDENTIFIER
 0:	  GUID_partition_scheme						*1.0 TB	 disk0
 1:						EFI								   209.7 MB   disk0s1
 2:	   Microsoft Basic Data							100.0 GB   disk0s2
 3:				  Apple_HFS Macintosh HD		  100.0 GB   disk0s3
 4:	   Microsoft Basic Data							799.9 GB   disk0s4
 /dev/disk1
 0:	  GUID_partition_scheme						*2.0 GB	 disk1
 1:				  Apple_HFS Chameleon			  1.9 GB	 disk1s1

Here you have to note your Chameleon drive disk identifier. In my case it is disk1s1.

7. Use terminal again for the following commands:

[/Volumes/Chameleon] > cd
 [~] > sudo -s
 Password: <- your admin password
 root [~] > sync
 root [~] > umount -f /Volumes/Chameleon/
 root [~] > mkdir temp
 root [~] > mount_hfs /dev/disk1s1 temp <- here you have to use your identifier! This is just an example.
 root [~] > mount
 root [~] > cd temp
 root [~/temp] > chown -R 0:0 Extra
 root [~/temp] > cp /Users/Maharajamd/Desktop/v001/boot . <- Please note that here is a dot!
 root [~/temp] > chmod 755 boot
 root [~/temp] > dd if=Chameleon-2.0-RC4-r684-bin/i386/boot1h of=/dev/rdisk1s1 <- your disk identifier
 root [~/temp] > fdisk -f Chameleon-2.0-RC4-r684-bin/i386/boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk1 <- your disk identifier
 root [~/temp] > cd
 root [~] > sync
 root [~] > umount -f temp
 root [~] > rmdir temp

Done! Now you should be able to use your USB drive. If you need more info about what you doing there, check the link to AsereBLN's blog in my signature. All the terminal stuff above is taken from his blog. Please keep us up to date!

Wow e60, thanks for the effort. I will do exactly that tonight. Actually, I had thought of doing the manual install process but with the files from the installer myself. So I think you got me on the right track.

I will do this tonight and report back.

I'm really excited about you're progress. Hopefully you will finally get everything working! But please do exactly everything I told you in my previous post!!! This is very important!!!

Ok, I had a couple issues with your instructions. However, it's up and running. RC4, 4GB memory, 10.6.3. BTW, the SATA(0)/(1) idea was the issue! LOL!! The only issue is no audio device. It's enabled in BIOS but not there in OSX. And the LegacyHDA you linked doesn't unzip. So I tried a few others I found for the 889a and 10.6.3, didn't work. I'm going to post what I ended up following last night.

Glad to read your Hackintosh is up and running!

Ok, I had a couple issues with your instructions.

What issues do you exactly mean?

the SATA(0)/(1) idea was the issue! LOL!!

Hmm... this is realy interesting. My HDD is running with SATA 0 ;)

The only issue is no audio device. It's enabled in BIOS but not there in OSX. And the LegacyHDA you linked doesn't unzip.

Ok, I'll check it and upload it once again. You can use it in your Chameleon stick in /Extra/Extensions/

ONCE MORE, I MEAN NOT TO STEP ON ANYONES TOES. THIS IS DLACHs, E60s, and AZEREs WORK! I JUST REWROTE IT!

Thank you for the flowers, but I just copied some Infos and some terminal commands from AsereBNL's blog. :) He and dlach did most of the work here. :)

If audio works, great. If not, stay tuned for the answer here. I'll update instructions pending resolution.

I'll upload the kext for 10.6.X later the day.

He, he... just like I thought. :D I was a litle bit confused yesterday. But like I wrote before, glad your Hack is running!

*Edit*

I saw that you're editing "plist" files with TextEdit. I recommend to use a editor like bbedit or the free PlistEdit Pro form Apple. Using might produce some strange issues.

I personally picoed it, but I've edited plists in the past with no issues using TextEdit. It's literally just a text reference file...

He, he... just like I thought. :rolleyes: I was a litle bit confused yesterday. But like I wrote before, glad your Hack is running!

*Edit*

Updated the HDA kext on this post

*Edit2*

I saw that you're editing "plist" files with TextEdit. I recommend to use a editor like bbedit or the free PlistEdit Pro form Apple. Using might produce some strange issues.

I don't think I phrased my question properly: My question is not so much if I need it or not (I can read and understand from the posts that I don't). My question was more will it be a problem that I have them, or in other words: Should I be removing them before attempting this?

lever man

You want to ditch sleep enabler. It is one of the kexts that blows up in your face on almost every update from apple.

Well, that worked! I am now 100%. Thank you all so freakin much! Lol

Excellent news!

Do you know what it is that made the difference. I'm going to re-write the first post since most of it is no longer relevant. Your install was different than most in what way? Was it you are using MBR, dual boot?

I'm going to post your instructions but I need to know under what circumstances to tell people to use them because so many people had no problem I don't want to make these instructions the default path.

Don't worry about stepping on toes the important thing is that we get clear and accurate instructions. That is why I liked your original post in the first place and was disappointed when you removed it.

E7AUM/RC4/10.6.3/2+GB/USB-FD Installation

This is just my rewrite of dlachs, e60s, and Azeres work.

Updated: 04/19/2010 with new Azere 1.1.9 boot

-----------------------------------

WHAT YOU NEED TO HAVE

1. Two USB Flash Drives: 1GB+ recommended just to be safe.

.....A) You can get away with just one USB-FD but you will have to install the BIOS first then do the Chameleon steps.

2. The E7AUM-RC4-2GBPLUS.zip attatchment below.

PREPARATION

USB-FD 'Chameleon'

1) Start Disk Utility (Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility)

2) Select the USB-Stick itself as show in the photo (do not select a partition on the stick).

3) Select Partition

4) Under 'Volume Scheme' select '1 Partition'

5) Click 'Options' and select 'GUID Partition Scheme'

6) Use the name 'Chameleon' for the partition

7) Choose Format 'Mac OS Extended (Journaled)'

8) Click 'Apply'

USB-FD 'BIOS'

1) Start Disk Utility (Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility)

2) Select the USB-Stick itself as show in the photo (do not select a partition on the stick).

3) Select Partition

4) Under 'Volume Scheme' select '1 Partition'

5) Click 'Options' and select 'MBR - Master Boot Record'

6) Use the name 'BIOS' for the partition

7) Choose Format 'FAT'

8) Click 'Apply'

INSTALLATION

1) Make sure that you only have 2GB of memory installed and that your primary 'OSX' hard drive is on SATA(1) on the motherboard. **SATA 1 was required for me but apparently not everyone**

2) Download E7AUM-RC4-2GBPLUS.zip (attached below), unzip it.

3) Move the folder (BOOT) to your desktop.

4) Move the file (BIOS/E7AUMD2H.F4) to a MBR/FAT formatted USB-FD labeled 'BIOS'.

5) Unzip the file (USB-FD.zip), move the contents inside the extracted folder (USB-FD) to a GUID/Mac OS Extended Journaled formatted USB-FD labeled 'Chameleon'.

6) Edit the file (/Volumes/Chameleon/Extra/smbios.plist) with Pico. Basically edit the memory manufacturer (SMmemmanufacter_X), the memory part numbers (SMmempart_X), the memory serial numbers (SMmemserial_X), and the memory speed (SMmemspeed).

7) Open Terminal (Applications/Utilities/Terminal) and run the following commands.

cd /Volumes/Chameleon/
xattr -d com.apple.quarantine Extra
xattr -d com.apple.quarantine Chameleon-2.0-RC4-r684-bin.tar.gz

8) Leave the Terminal window open.

9) Unzip the file 'Chameleon-2.0-RC4-r684-bin.tar.gz' on the USB-FD (/Volumes/Chameleon).

10) Now in the existing Terminal window run the following commands.

diskutil list **Note which disk identifier is used for the Chameleon volume. ie 'disk1, disk1s1'**
cd
sudo -s **Input your admin password**
sync
umount -f /Volumes/Chameleon/
mkdir temp
mount_hfs /dev/disk1s1 temp **Use your disk identifier**
mount
cd temp
chown -R 0:0 Extra
cp /Users/YOUR USERNAME HERE/Desktop/boot/boot . **Make sure to use your username here**
chmod 755 boot
dd if=Chameleon-2.0-RC4-r684-bin/i386/boot1h of=/dev/rdisk1s1 **Use your disk identifier**
fdisk -f Chameleon-2.0-RC4-r684-bin/i386/boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk1 **Use your disk identifier**
cd
sync
umount -f temp
rmdir temp

11) Reboot. Update BIOS via USB-FD. (Read the manual for more information.)

.....A) Hit 'end' during post to enter QFlash.

.....B ) With the USB-FD 'BIOS' connected, choose 'Load CMOS from Disk'.

.....C) Choose the USB-FD 'BIOS', choose E7AUMD2H.F4, hit enter.

.....D) Once finished choose 'Reboot' and disconnect the USB-FD 'BIOS'.

12) Make appropriate changes in BIOS. (Read the manual for more information.)

.....A) Hit 'delete' during post to enter BIOS.

.....B ) Pick 'load optimized defaults', type 'Y'.

.....C) In the 'Advanced BIOS Features' menu, set your boot priority. I personally set 'First Boot Device' to 'Hard Disk' and set 'Hard Disk Boot Priority' so that the USB-FD 'Chameleon' is on top (use the +- keys). I set the rest to disabled.

.....D) In the 'Integrated Peripherals' menu, set 'Onboard IDE controller' and 'NV SATA controller' to enabled. Set 'On-chip SATA mode' to AHCI. If using a USB keyboard or mouse, choose enable for both options.

.....E) Hit F10 to 'Save and Exit'.

13) Reboot to Chameleon USB-FD.

.....A) If you are updating select the hard drive OSX is installed on to boot OSX.

.....B ) If you are just now installing select the OSX Installation DVD to start the installation process.

14) Once in OSX, you can update the OS however and whenever you wish. Since everything boots from the USB-FD, no kexts get touched.

15) Once you are updated to 10.6.2 or higher move the file (LegacyHDA.kext) to (/Volumes/Chameleon/Extra/Extensions/) and reboot.

16) Read up on customizing the (/Volumes/Chameleon/Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist) to suit your needs here.

LINKS

Chameleon RC4 Boot Documentation: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/...11.html#msg4311

OSX 10.6.3 Combo Installer: http://support.apple.com/downloads/DL1017/...o10.6.3v1.1.dmg

Gigabyte E7AUM Manual: http://america.gigabyte.com.tw/FileList/Ma...7aum-ds2h_e.pdf

=====================================================================

Dlach: There is a better written version. The issues I had were

1) I could never boot chameleon off the hard drive, ie your original way.

2) I could not boot chameleon off the usb-fd via the auto-installer e60 just posted. (I don't think the installer was installing boot for whatever reason)

3) Once I did it this way, it wouldn't boot again. It gave me a different boot1 error. So I moved my hdd from SATA(0) to SATA(1) and it booted right up! I had read that some boards look at SATA(1) first. Random idea, but it worked for me. Why am I different? No idea. I previously had my primary hdd on SATA(0), the two raided drives on 1 and 2, and a sata bluray drive on the last one...5 I think.

And no, I never tried anything but a single boot osx on a guid.

Anyways, enjoy. Someone look over my instructions. They should be solid but who knows what a different pair of eyes can find.

E7AUM_RC4_2GBPLUS.zip

@Maharajamd

Great rewrite! There is only one thing I would change in your Guide. I guess it would be useful to have an example for ...

diskutil list **Note which disk identifier is used for the Chameleon volume. ie 'disk1, disk1s1'**

... such like this here...

/dev/disk0
 0:	  GUID_partition_scheme						*1.0 TB	 disk0
 1:						EFI								   209.7 MB   disk0s1
 2:	   Microsoft Basic Data							100.0 GB   disk0s2
 3:				  Apple_HFS Macintosh HD		  100.0 GB   disk0s3
 4:	   Microsoft Basic Data							799.9 GB   disk0s4
 /dev/disk1
 0:	  GUID_partition_scheme						*2.0 GB	 disk1
 1:				  Apple_HFS Chameleon			  1.9 GB	 disk1s1