[GUIDE] Installing Snow Leopard/Leopard retail DVD on the GA-E7AUM-DS2H

dlach

761 posts in this topic

^Yea I know, wrote it fast last night. Guys this just isn't making any sense. Are there any restrictions with such a big hard drive / paritition? I thought for sure setting it active would do the trick.

I guess when I can I will do it all over once more but I'll use a different method. Still, don't know why I am having to do so.

^Yea I know, wrote it fast last night. Guys this just isn't making any sense. Are there any restrictions with such a big hard drive / paritition? I thought for sure setting it active would do the trick.

I guess when I can I will do it all over once more but I'll use a different method. Still, don't know why I am having to do so.

Sorry you're having so much trouble.

At one point you formatted the disk and started over. Did you stop before applying adidasprince's boot patch and see if if was working?

If you try it again, try this. Format (GUID partition), making sure it is the active partition, install per guide, (with only 2GB ram, and install chameleon from the 2.3 package). I've found that sometimes the chameleon package puts more stuff in place that other times, the package is a bit flaky. You may want to try installing it a couple of times. Make sure you create the /Extra folder if chameleon doesn't and set the permissions with chown as per guide. See if it boots.

If it does, try AsereBLN's stuff add more ram. If all of this works we can try getting your raid going.

@dlach

If it does, get AsereBLN's booter (google that and you'll find it)

The Zipfile I uploaded contains Asere's bootloader with addidasprincepatch. There is no need to google it. :)

@chrilled

I've just tested the 512 MB setting and it works very well for my.

*Edit*

Any further information can be found from this post onward. Please check the "@all" part at the end of the post.

I too was suspect of the hard drive size, but it is easy to answer. Partition your 1.5TB drive. Make one partition 100GB, make active and GUID and instal Snow Leopard there. See if the drive size makes any difference. Regards!

Digital output

AC3, DTS pass-through work just fine, I checked through all the pages in (been awhile) has anyone figured out how to control the volume on this motherboard? I use my iphone to control everything but the volume, need to use the receiver remote.

Perhaps an updated install manual for this board using only what comes on it based on 10.6.3 is needed. Tonight -- time to play with audio and network resume from sleep. ..sigh =)

Thanks everyone.

Hi all,

I just noticed that i'm missing my dvd rom drive after upgrading ( and no its not stolen ).

Does any one know the right kext?

-X

Upgraded from 10.6.2 to 10.6.3 and everything works fine , even (SATA) DVD drive.

btw. I dont use sleep so i didnt have any extra kexts related to that.

Thanks for an excellent tutorial on how to get SL set up on this board!

Being a total NOOB when it comes to hackintosh (today is my first attempt at it -- and I still have a few issues to solve), I am overwhelmed by all the information that has to be digested. I have a couple of questions that I'd like to ask those who has walked this path before:

• Is injecting EFI strings the only way to specify the graphics card on the board?
  • I am not sure what the difference is, if any, between PCI_EFI and Chameleon?
  • Is there a way to solve the BIOS checksum error after install (have F3a) other than having to play around with DSDT?

I hope I am not wasting people's time here, but digesting all the info found here is close to insurmountable :) .

Thanks in advance...

I use also 2 PATA hard drives so here is the kext working, no matter the amount of RAM.

My install is with Lifehacker 10.6.3 with Stellarola V3 update:

I just dropped the Jmicron kext in the kext Helper b7.

Did not even require restart. The HDD's just came ON.

Kext Helper b7

http://cheetha.net/

Download JMicron kext here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...mp;#entry133510

Worked!

thank you

I am running SL using onboard IDE, I am using this JMicronATA.kext in /Extra/Extensions. Let us know if it worked for you.

Out of curiosity: What resolution are you running graphics at?

So, I may have taken a step forward in my graphics foibles: I installed the BIOS update that I thought I had (supid mistake, really). Now, I have a different problem: At random times, it seems that the graphics just start to garble selective parts of the screen after which the UI freezes, but I can move the mouse. It does not seem to respond to keyboard input (or, I don't know what to press).

Any ideas? They are greatly appreciated... :)

So, I may have taken a step forward in my graphics foibles: I installed the BIOS update that I thought I had (supid mistake, really). Now, I have a different problem: At random times, it seems that the graphics just start to garble selective parts of the screen after which the UI freezes, but I can move the mouse. It does not seem to respond to keyboard input (or, I don't know what to press).

Any ideas? They are greatly appreciated... :)

You really should put your config in your signature or at least tell us what it is.

Are you using the onboard graphics or an add on card. How much memory do you have installed. Did you follow the guide exactly?

You really should put your config in your signature or at least tell us what it is.

Are you using the onboard graphics or an add on card. How much memory do you have installed. Did you follow the guide exactly?

Thanks for the suggestion: That is a good idea, sorry for not thinking about that. I believe I have followed the guide to the letter. Where can I look for details as to what is causing this? Where would logs be on S L?

This is my config:

E7AUM-DS2H, 4Gb RAM, Onboard GPU, Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200, 640 Gb HD (split partition).

More digging leads me to believe that it is certainly a graphics driver problem: The problem occurs only when a progress bar is being displayed on the screen it seems. This makes updating to 10.6.3 pretty impossible. I was hoping that updating to 10.6.3 may solve the problem.

With that in mind, I have a couple of additional questions:

• Is there a way to force a "generic" driver to be loaded such that I can update the kernel and see if that helps?
  • If not, would the recommended approach be to buy a dedicated GPU and disabling the onboard one?
  • If so, which GPU would be recommended?

Thanks,

Thanks for the suggestion: That is a good idea, sorry for not thinking about that. I believe I have followed the guide to the letter. Where can I look for details as to what is causing this? Where would logs be on S L?

This is my config:

E7AUM-DS2H, 4Gb RAM, Onboard GPU, Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200, 640 Gb HD (split partition).

I see you have 4Gb of ram. Did you apply either the chameleon patch from adidasprince or the one from Aserebln? If not that is your problem.

I see you have 4Gb of ram. Did you apply either the chameleon patch from adidasprince or the one from Aserebln? If not that is your problem.

I did the one from the guide (bringing chameleon to V2RC3). Is there an additional step described further in the thread that I have missed? Are you by chance referring to this one Post #223?

I did the one from the guide (bringing chameleon to V2RC3). Is there an additional step described further in the thread that I have missed? Are you by chance referring to this one Post #223?

Look again at the guide. Right at the beginning it mentions the 2GB limitation and again int the known issues.

Yes you can get around it using adidasprince's patch. Or just use AsereBLN's mentioned a couple ofmposts back.

Look again at the guide. Right at the beginning it mentions the 2GB limitation and again int the known issues.

Ok, I see. I thought that was only relevant for Leopard. My bad.

Yes you can get around it using adidasprince's patch. Or just use AsereBLN's mentioned a couple ofmposts back.

Tried adidasprince's patch (as I don't know what to do with DSDT etc files). That patch failed to install, and now I am at the point where upon booting I just get the spinner and the grey apple -- nothing more. I can't seem to get it accept hitting F8 such that I can start in something similar to safe mode.

Is there a place where I can find logs (supposing that I can indeed get the system to boot) such that I can see what I need to fix? Alternatively, can someone shed some light on what I need to do to get AsereBLN's patch installed if I start from scratch again?

Ok, I see. I thought that was only relevant for Leopard. My bad.

Tried adidasprince's patch (as I don't know what to do with DSDT etc files). That patch failed to install, and now I am at the point where upon booting I just get the spinner and the grey apple -- nothing more. I can't seem to get it accept hitting F8 such that I can start in something similar to safe mode.

Is there a place where I can find logs (supposing that I can indeed get the system to boot) such that I can see what I need to fix? Alternatively, can someone shed some light on what I need to do to get AsereBLN's patch installed if I start from scratch again?

Use the boot CD to boot your install disk. You can reinstall chameleon 23 and just take out 2GB of ram until you get you feet underneath you enough to get aserebln's boater in place.

... is a Chameleon RC4 + PCEFI 10.5 with AsereBLN Bugfixes and adidasprince >2G patch. All credits goes to AsereBLN and adidasprince!

Can you shed some light for a noob on how to apply this patch? I tried adidasprince's patch, but that failed to install on my hackintosh.

Thanks,

Can you shed some light for a noob on how to apply this patch? I tried adidasprince's patch, but that failed to install on my hackintosh.

Thanks,

Well it would have been nice if e60 had provided a little more info on this since he is the one who dropped it.

The package contains two boot files a DSDT.aml and its source dsl. Also provided are the plists mentioned elsewhere in the guide.

To apply this stuff, unzip it to a folder. If your user name is lever and you just downloaded zip file and double clicked it, the folder path would be /Users/lever/Downloads/v001/

Open a terminal window and do this:

sudo cp /Users/lever/Downloads/v001/boot_embedtheme /boot

Then shutdown and try rebooting.

If that doesn't work or if it does and you're feel adventurous you can also try the DSDT fil by copying it to the root:

sudo cp /Users/lever/Downloads/v001/DSDT.aml /DSDT.aml

If you're really feeling adventurous you do that you can edit the smbios.plist e60 provided and put it in /Extra

You need to edit it to match your system. Make sure you maintain the UUID from the guide. A good article about customizing smbios.plist is HERE.

It would have been nice if e60 had mentioned what kexts are still required with AsereBLNs booter/DSDT. I guess we can assume that all of the ones mentioned in the guide are.

My system is back online so I'll be continuing to work on getting rid of all non-vanilla kexts I can. I'd mainly like to get rid of Sleepenabler, NullCPUManagement, and OpenHaltRestart. I'll mention again that I avoid the audio and LAN kexts and problems by using a USB audio adapter and a PCIe network adapter that just work out of the box.

The USB adapter is great, it is a Behringer UCA202. I got mine at Amazon HERE. The network adapter is a Rosewill RC-401-EX from newegg HERE

Good luck.

Well it would have been nice if e60 had provided a little more info on this since he is the one who dropped it.

@dlach

Sorry about that, but I thougt the infos on my post #414 should suffice.

It would have been nice if e60 had mentioned what kexts are still required with AsereBLNs booter/DSDT. I guess we can assume that all of the ones mentioned in the guide are.

Once again, sorry about that. I am only using FakeSMC.kext, OpenHaltRestart.kext and LegacyHDA.kext in my Extensions folder. Without OpenHaltRestart.kext. I am not able to restart my machine. Later that day, I will post a installer by Dr. Hurt that will contain all the files I am using on my Chameleon USB Stick.

@dlach

Sorry about that, but I thougt the infos on my post #414 should suffice.

They're fine for people who are experienced but people just starting out need a bit more.

Once again, sorry about that. I am only using FakeSMC.kext, OpenHaltRestart.kext and LegacyHDA.kext in my Extensions folder. Without OpenHaltRestart.kext. I am not able to restart my machine. Later that day, I will post a installer by Dr. Hurt that will contain all the files I am using on my Chameleon USB Stick.

EDIT answering my own questions

Great. Thanks. That is excellent news. No NullCPUmanagement? YES Sleep works YES and the LAN is enabled on resume without nForceLAN? NO Does the LAN see bonjour compatible devices? NO

If we could get the MCP79a data sheet we could probably patch the DSDT to make shutdown work. Surprised AsereBLN's booter doesn't fix restart, probably another problem with not knowing the MCP79a's reset register.

Bottom line is everybody should switch to this boot file and dsdt.aml. You can ditch the UUID edits in com.apple.boot.plist and smbios.plist and ditch all of the kexts except the ones e60 mentions (unless you like nForceLan).

I'll update the guide.

e60 thanks for getting AsereBLN on the case. He did a great job.

Hey dlach,

please excuse the delay. I'll try to answer your questions, although you answered them on yourself. ;)

- No NullCPUmanagement? -> Yes

- Sleep work? -> Yes

- and the LAN is enabled on resume without nForceLAN? -> No, the connection is broken

- Does the LAN see bonjour compatible devices? -> Sorry, no idea. I haven't check this

Because of the nForceLAN, I posted my logs on the nForceLAN thread. Maby eno will help us to solve the sleep issue.

Surprised AsereBLN's booter doesn't fix restart

I was surprised too, but I wrote him a E-Mail to clarify what could be the issue for that.

e60 thanks for getting AsereBLN on the case. He did a great job.

Don't mention it. :D I think we all should thank AsereBLN! He did realy a awesome job!

Later that day, I will post a installer by Dr. Hurt that will contain all the files I am using on my Chameleon USB Stick

*Edit*

Any further information can be found from this post onward. Please check the "@all" part at the end of the post.

F4_Bios.zip

Ok, let me get this straight.

1. Boot with dlachs CD.

2. Install 'GA-E7AUM-DS2H AsereBNL booter.pkg' to USB 'Chameleon' flash drive.

3. Using a MBR partitioned flash drive or usb hdd, install the new F4 bios.

4. Make all appropriate changes in new bios (if it doesn't keep the previous settings).

5. Boot with the newly created USB 'Chameleon' drive.

6. Once in, update to latest 10.6.3. Reboot.

7. Install LegacyHDA.kext.

8. Done

Since I've tried this way manually and failed I have a few questions.

1. Do all of this with 2GB installed memory until it's all working, correct?

2. The installer is installing chameleon and all needed kexts on its own (other then HDA), correct?

2B. So in that, there is no need to do any terminal work, correct?