[GUIDE] Installing Snow Leopard/Leopard retail DVD on the GA-E7AUM-DS2H

dlach

761 posts in this topic

hi e60,

speedstep with your new DSDT is working!

I attached some screenhots:

PStates with VoodooPState.kext by PStateChanger and CPU-i (they shows different proposals)

and Status with CPU-i (normaly both Cores are at 40°C)

Status with your DSDT.

Don't know how exactly these Voltage values has to be, but I think there will be a tolerance.

post-189079-1275941077_thumb.png

post-189079-1275941093_thumb.png

post-189079-1275941103_thumb.png

post-189079-1275941250_thumb.png

Hmm... strange. Your P-States look different to mine ...

bildschirmfoto2010-06-2h2x.png

Which DSDT did you use? The newest one I have uploaded today @ 08:27 PM or the one before? And could you please make a screenshot using VoodooMonitor and voodoopstate.v4? CPU-i is not more up to date.

... using your latest DSDT (8:27)

here are the results from VoodooMonitor (they are the same).

May be this results from our different CPU stepping (mine is E0)? That would mean, that OSX override the P-State givin by your DSDT?

Edit: And an other test - making my own DSDT with the P-State values proposed by the PState-Changer (attached screenshot above). Perhaps you could test this one.

It brings the same values in VoodooMonitor for P-States but the Voltage in Status is lower. (screenshot attached)

post-189079-1275945448_thumb.png

post-189079-1275981462_thumb.png

DSDT.aml.zip

@shawndoggy

You are getting this message because I suspect that you are don't using a Extensions.mkext. By the way, I 'm not using Extensions.mkext too. :D

Which Bios, DSDT and Leagacy.kext do you are using?

- Jon55's patch of Rosisoft's DSDT work into the Gigabyte f3a BIOS and kexts - in post #89 of this thread HERE

@olegischinski

Oh man, I totally missed that you're using E0 Stepping whereas I had assumed you were using C0. That would explain your values differing from mine.

By the way, I've taken a look at your DSDT and was a bit puzzled - the values displayed are different from the ones shown in VoodooMonitor. How did you proceed when calculating them? You should throw all of the Powermanagement kexts out of Extra/Extensions and boot with a SpeedStep free DSDT.

@olegischinski

Oh man, I totally missed that you're using E0 Stepping whereas I had assumed you were using C0. That would explain your values differing from mine.

By the way, I've taken a look at your DSDT and was a bit puzzled - the values displayed are different from the ones shown in VoodooMonitor. How did you proceed when calculating them? You should throw all of the Powermanagement kexts out of Extra/Extensions and boot with a SpeedStep free DSDT.

... yes, they are - I took the proposal from PState-Changer.

In PState 3 the voltage is lower now (0,972), nearly the same as under win7 (0,992), but hasn't the value of PState-Changer (0,925).

Edit: under win7 PState 0 shows 1,152 vs. 1,180 under OSX (which is the proposed value from VoodooMonitor - the value from PState-Changer (so in my DSDT) is 1,087)

So I assume, OSX takes the correct one?

Thanks for the info. My eyes are bleeding and my head is exploding from reading the "Vanilla Speedstep" thread ;) but I hope to get a litle bit clearer on this whole thing. So lets keep us up to date about the progress. Maby we could make a little collection of different DSDTs with different CPU Steppings. Before I forget I have one last request. Could you please make a screenshot from PState-Changer "in action"? ;)

@shawndoggy

Could you please also post your complite system spects like CPU, additional cards ... ?

- Jon55's patch of Rosisoft's DSDT work into the Gigabyte f3a BIOS and kexts - in post #89 of this thread HERE

@shawndoggy

- have look at my post here

- instead of the DSDT.aml posted there, take the last one by e60. Speedstepping will work, if you have the same CPU - otherwise try out VoodooPstate.kext at first placed in /S/L/E (set ownership and rights!)

- for sound take LegacyHDA.kext (in /E/E), (You must set Output in Systemsettings to intern.)

BTW: with the patched Bootloader you don't need PlatformUUID.kext and the Kernel Flag key in com.apple.boot.plist anymore. But don't forget to set the key GraphicsEnabler to yes in com.apple.boot.plist. At the moment I only have OpenHaltRestart.kext, LegacyHDA.kext, fakesmc.kext in /E/E (and JMicronATA because I'm using two ATA-Drives - smbios.plist is in /E)

rm: /Extra/Extensions.mkext: No such file or directory

rm stands for remove, but there is no mkext if you didn't create one

A mkext is a cache-file, it speeds up the boot process and the creation with kextcache will proof all kernel dependences.

... Before I forget I have one last request. Could you please make a screenshot from PState-Changer "in action"? ;)

... first screenshot here. PStateChanger needs the VoodooPState.kext. You can load and unload it with your new DSDT too. (on the fly without reboot)

Yes, this Vanilla Speedstep thread is really wahnsinn ;-)

Thanks for the info. My eyes are bleeding and my head is exploding from reading the "Vanilla Speedstep" thread ;) but I hope to get a litle bit clearer on this whole thing. So lets keep us up to date about the progress. Maby we could make a little collection of different DSDTs with different CPU Steppings. Before I forget I have one last request. Could you please make a screenshot from PState-Changer "in action"? :)

@shawndoggy

Could you please also post your complite system spects like CPU, additional cards ... ?

Customizing the DSDT for CPU-specific info (including speedstep) should be unnecessary. The upcoming version of Chameleon allows you to load your various ACPI tables including the SSDT tables that give proper info for speed step.

You trade mucking around trying to find the right DSDT with doing the leg-work to dump your ACPI tables using a linux bootCD, but in the end you wind of with a more generic solution.

I Poke around and you'll find a thread by Valv that discusses AnV's chameleon booter. I certainly hope that AsereBLN picks up this work of integrates his work into the Chameleon trunk.

BTW did AsereBLN ever make AdidasPrince's patch part of his standard booter? If not please ask him to.

Too bad this board is unavailable anymore it makes a good Hack. Also if anyone know where the MCP79/7a chipset, which is the GA-E7AUM-DS2H southbridge, dataset can be had, please post, we could fix a lot of things if we knew the offset to the various registers.

Customizing the DSDT for CPU-specific info (including speedstep) should be unnecessary. The upcoming version of Chameleon allows you to load your various ACPI tables including the SSDT tables that give proper info for speed step.

Thanks for the advise, I didn't knew that. In that case I deleted the SpeedStep Scopes from DSDT and I will wait patiently for the new release.

BTW did AsereBLN ever make AdidasPrince's patch part of his standard booter? If not please ask him to.

No, he didn't, but he is thinking about it. I don't want to reveal too much, but he is working on a completely new bootloader. So let us look forward for his new release.

Part 2: Installing Snow Leopard using a retail 10.6 DVD on the GA-E7AUM-DS2H

Last Updated: 11/17/09

By the way, would you be so kind and please update your Guide to point the people to the new DSDT, Asere's booter and this whole updated stuff here? Your last update is form 11/17/09 and since than a few things happend like there is no need for Jon55's Bios etc. :)

@all

I updated all files needed for SL. You will find a GA-E7AUM-DS2H.zip below, containing AsereBLN 1.1.9 Booter, F4 Bios, smbios.plist (updated to iMac9,1 identifier), com.apple.Boot.plist, DSDT.aml, an edited fakesmc.kext to prevent BEMB and MSDS messages on boot, LegacyHDA.kext and OpenHaltRestart.kext. I would recommand to use the newest DSDT, because there was a little mistake in the RTC section.

- For Bios stettings please take a look on this post

- For installation methods you can check dlach's version on the first post, Maharajamd Guide or use tonymacx86's [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] & AsereBLN 1.1.9 GA-E7AUM-DS2H Installer* located below. Alternatively you can use [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] with Chimera** and / or [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] also provided by tonymacx86. For more informations check tonymacx86's blog and start with "STEP 2: INSTALL MAC OS X". When you reach to the end of "step 2", please install "AsereBLN 1.1.9 GA-E7AUM-DS2H Installer" and have fun or go further and use [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]. By the way, if you are unsure how to install the AsereBLN package, check the "how to" inside of the Zip file.

Note! Olegischinski pointed me to a important issue. If you want to use [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], please remove all RAM greater than 2 GB. After installing AsereBLN's booter, you can use all of your RAM.

* AsereBLN 1.1.9 GA-E7AUM-DS2H Installer ist able to boot up Mac OS 10.7 Lion

** Please note that Adidasprince's Chameleon patch is not integrated into Chimera. If you want to use it with our Board, you have to install a discrete Graphic Card or remove all RAM greater than 2 GB.

*Edit*

Please check out this post

I will try make a quick Guide on how you have to do this later in the week.

Would love the guide... I'm just a script monkey who followed the script in the first post to a T and I don't have audio. Have to confess ignorance about how most of this stuff works, so if you could pretty please just make it simple for the newbs....

(BTW, running q6600 cpu, 2gb ram, no extra cards)

@Maharajamd

No "really mind blowing" news. :( Just some file updates. We still have a officail Guide on the first page (dlach) and yours. :D The official one could be a litte more up to date, this was my only request to dlach. :D

dang, seems like I've got everything working but audio. Any thoughts on where to start from a troubleshooting perspective or should I just start over with the maharajamd guide? Want to be able to do some light movie editing and without audio it's a deal breaker.

dang, seems like I've got everything working but audio. Any thoughts on where to start from a troubleshooting perspective or should I just start over with the maharajamd guide? Want to be able to do some light movie editing and without audio it's a deal breaker.

hi shawndoggy,

What is the status of your installation? (BIOS, Bootloader)

Do you have a loudspeaker icon in your menu?

Did you change Output to intern in systemsettings? Where are your loudspeakers/headphone plugged in?

It's a little bit difficult to help you, without further information.

hi shawndoggy,

What is the status of your installation? (BIOS, Bootloader)

Do you have a loudspeaker icon in your menu?

Did you change Output to intern in systemsettings? Where are your loudspeakers/headphone plug in?

It's a little bit difficult to help you, without further information.

I just did it from the guide on page 1....

Bios: - Jon55's patch of Rosisoft's DSDT work into the Gigabyte f3a BIOS and kexts - in post #89 of this thread HERE

Bootloader: - Chameleon V2RC3 installer HERE

In system setting I have (from memory) interal, headphone and mic. However, none of the settings do anything and no sound comes out whether my speakers are plugged into the green jack on board or the headphone jack on the front of my case.

I just did it from the guide on page 1....

Bios: - Jon55's patch of Rosisoft's DSDT work into the Gigabyte f3a BIOS and kexts - in post #89 of this thread HERE

Bootloader: - Chameleon V2RC3 installer HERE

In system setting I have (from memory) interal, headphone and mic. However, none of the settings do anything and no sound comes out whether my speakers are plugged into the green jack on board or the headphone jack on the front of my case.

Are you on 10.6.3?

Which kexts are in your /Extra/Extensions ?

Did you made any modifications in your AppleHDA.kext?

Are you on 10.6.3?

Which kexts are in your /Extra/Extensions ?

Did you made any modifications in your AppleHDA.kext?

System Version: Mac OS X 10.6 (10A432)

Extra\Extensions contains the following:

AHCIPortInjector.kext

ATAPortInjector.kext

fakesmc.kext

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

Sleepenabler.kext

UUID.kext

No, no changes to the AppleHDA.kext. As noted previously, I just followed the guide for installing the 10.6 retail dvd that's in the very first post of this thread.

System Profiler shows the following for my audio:

Intel High Definition Audio:

Device ID: 0x1458A102

Audio ID: 12

Available Devices:

Line Out:

Connection: 1/8-Inch Jack

External Microphone:

External Microphone:

Headphone:

S/P-DIF Out:

Connection: Combo

S/P-DIF In:

Connection: Combo

I will try make a quick Guide on how you have to do this later in the week.

Would love the guide... I'm just a script monkey who followed the script in the first post to a T and I don't have audio. Have to confess ignorance about how most of this stuff works, so if you could pretty please just make it simple for the newbs....

(BTW, running q6600 cpu, 2gb ram, no extra cards)

Everything updated on this post.

Shawndoggy, before I forget. You can update your Bios to F4 insted of using "Jon55's" one. But in this case you will have to replace your DSDT.aml with the one from my updated post, which is located in the GA-E7AUM-DS2H.zip.

@all Core2Duo E8400 users

Until Chameleon 2 RC5 is not released yet, you can test my SpeedStepping DSDT for C0 Stepping or use Olegischinski's DSDT for E0 Stepping CPUs over here.

Too bad this board is unavailable anymore it makes a good Hack. Also if anyone know where the MCP79/7a chipset, which is the GA-E7AUM-DS2H southbridge, dataset can be had, please post, we could fix a lot of things if we knew the offset to the various registers.

I can't serve you a dataset, but some Mac Mini stuff like DSDT.aml and ioreg dump. Maby this might be helpful for your fixing stuff.

By the way, would you be so kind and please update your Guide to point the people to the new DSDT, Asere's booter and this whole updated stuff here? Your last update is form 11/17/09 and since than a few things happend like there is no need for Jon55's Bios etc. ;)

I've updated post #1 to direct people to the installation section of your post #535. From there they can read marahajamd's or tonymac's. Good luck all.

I'm there... but it was ugly. Lost supported graphics first... got that back, then lost sound.. not sure if sleep works, but I leave this machine on all the time anyway. Sometimes, for no reason I can tell, it thinks it's running off the UPS when all is well power-wise (I do use a UPS, connected via USB).

Started over following dlach's guide at the beginning of this thread, wound up going to the IRC channel to take some abuse for awhile, and then finally got sound back by installing the 64bit kexts pack. Including the UUID stuff, although I can't seem to effectively select a boot partition by UUID with chameleon.. so I had to go back to just using the partiton number.

This thread is _huge_ and it references itself once or twice... very confusing. I think we need a definitive "start to finish" guide --not inside this thread-- that people can reference. I would be happy to put my steps down for others to read, but I kinda 'panicked' and tried a zillion different things to get stuff going.. I'm not really sure what I did right or wrong to get me here.

@netcastle

I also updated to 10.6.4 without any issues. Everythig is working fine for me.

@LJSeinfeld

Have you noticed dlach's advice ...

Updated 06/14/2010

There have been a lot of changes, before proceeding, you should go to the following post and read the part about installation. There are alternatives to this guide that may work better for you.

go HERE

You're right if you're telling this thread might be a litle bit confusing, but therefor dlach made the update on his first post. ;) Just check the @all part at the end of my posting.

@LJSeinfeld

Have you noticed dlach's advice ...

Yes, I did.. and I appreciate the time and work, but on the other hand the post tells you to go somewhere else and look at 2 other techniques that may be better.. I think at this point maybe we can say "Do this", and state which BIOS to use, if it requires DSDT.aml, which booter to use, etc.

You're right if you're telling this thread might be a litle bit confusing, but therefor dlach made the update on his first post. B) Just check the @all part at the end of my posting.

Yes, I am saying this thread has become confusing :)

I think that maybe the leaders of this thread should consider making it a walkthrough that, without having to leave the thread and come back several times, a user can get the info and files. You could still credit the original authors for their work and even link to their posts -- but set everything up so a person doesn't have to jump al over the place (I think that's where I got messed up).

Just an idea....