[GUIDE] Installing Snow Leopard/Leopard retail DVD on the GA-E7AUM-DS2H

dlach

761 posts in this topic

Awesome information!

I am getting ready to do the install. I have ordered necessary components including SL. I am reading these posts to see what I am in for. I have the noted Gigabyte MB. I *had* 4GB on my MB, but have removed 2GB per recommendations.

I have one question. In one fo the posts DLach mentions that he had some problems with the onboard network controller. He goes on to mention that he simply added a LAN card and references a post (or posts) a couple pages back, but I am unable to find the post where this topic is broached.

Can some one give me more specifics on the post? Or point out the network card that will simply work with this install guide? Thank you for your assistance and a special thank you to Jon55, AdidasPrince, Dlach and so many more that have helped build a formidable repository of knowledge. This thread is simply overwhelming! Regards, Salvador

Snow Leopard is not seeing my IDE DVD drive, but it worked in Leopard, is there a kext I a missing?

Use the JMicronATA.kext, available in 32- and 64bit-Version.

Awesome information!

I am getting ready to do the install. I have ordered necessary components including SL. I am reading these posts to see what I am in for. I have the noted Gigabyte MB. I *had* 4GB on my MB, but have removed 2GB per recommendations.

I have one question. In one fo the posts DLach mentions that he had some problems with the onboard network controller. He goes on to mention that he simply added a LAN card and references a post (or posts) a couple pages back, but I am unable to find the post where this topic is broached.

Can some one give me more specifics on the post? Or point out the network card that will simply work with this install guide? Thank you for your assistance and a special thank you to Jon55, AdidasPrince, Dlach and so many more that have helped build a formidable repository of knowledge. This thread is simply overwhelming! Regards, Salvador

... onboard LAN will work, but you won't have no Network and Audio after sleep

Hello guys,

I started with the guide to get SL installed,

did the bios update,

boot from bootCd.iso stops at

bootcd: done

no chameleon appears!! any ideas?

spec: GA-E7AUM-DS2H, Quad core 9400, 2gig ram

Bios is setted like it was said in the guide

thx,

sas

Hello guys,

did the bios update,

thx,

sas

hi,

sounds like an IDE-Device? The Guide is for SATA-DVD-ROM.

well,

it is an ide drive, was this somewhere mentioned?

do I need a sata harddisk as well?

is usb or ide harddisk possoble?

thx,

... for IDE-DVD-ROM try the RebelEFI.iso from the f***in PsyStar.

USB-HDD should work. For booting an IDE-HDD-Installation without the BootCD, I think, you must use JMicronATA.kext - don't know, if it works, never tried.

Good luck!

ok it turns black because of the NVDAResman.kext!

I got SL to run but the graphic is realy bad,

Can I use any other kext instead of Resman?

I have installed NVinject.kext and NVDANV50Hal.kext!

thx,

PS: I have disabled the most graphic kext except the Gforce one!!!

Could this be a problem?

ok it turns black because of the NVDAResman.kext!

I got SL to run but the graphic is realy bad,

Can I use any other kext instead of Resman?

I have installed NVinject.kext and NVDANV50Hal.kext!

thx,

PS: I have disabled the most graphic kext except the Gforce one!!!

Could this be a problem?

You don't need any kexts for Graphics. It works ootb, just flash your BIOS like explained in dlach's guide.

I already flashed my bios like it was said in the guide.

os x recognizes my graphic card, it shows all spec, but I cant change the resolution.

NVIDIA GeForce 9400:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9400

Type: GPU

Bus: PCI

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x086a

Revision ID: 0x00b1

ROM Revision: NVIDIA GeForce 9400 OpenGL Engine

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Display Connector:

About this Mac has no info about your monitor.

Which port? HDMI? VGA? DVI?

What did you try out exactly with these several kexts mentioned above?

You should post this, if someone shall help you.

Be that as it may - all I can say is: I use a TFT on DVI. It works without any intervention except BIOS-Flash (and editing boot.plist for pretty startup)

hello,

I had to disable graphics, otherwise it was not possible to install SL because of a kernel panic,

later i figured out that NVDAResman.kext was the fault,

I installed the other .kext I mentioned to give them a try and get hopefully better graphic accelleration, but this was not the case, nothing changed.

I have connected a acer lcd via vga, dvi does not work(black screen) hdmi does not work as well,

Installing history: installing via boot disk(neither efi nor that bootcd mentioned in the guide) does not work -> black screen or kernel panic(tested with severel bios settings), I installed it via usb hdd(restore of dvd) installed chameleon 2 rc4 and severel kext(including framebuffer_disable.kext),

SL was working stable(but no graphic and sound) so I installed the kext from your guide and did entry changes as well as insalling the chameleon 2 rc3(guide link)

I also did the bios flash,

I'm new to mac, maybe I forgot some setting possibilities?

It would be great to fix this issue.

Thanks a lot

Do not deviate from the plan :-)

I know you've already moved on, but for anyone else....

I too got this message. My first thought was that my boot CD wasdefective, but before anything else, I went back to the BIOS, set setting back to optimized defaults and then changed only what this uide mentions. I made sure that both IDE and NV SATA controllers were enabled (actually they were) and that my boot sequence was CDROM, Hard drive, Disabled, that I had no USB devices connected to the PC and that mouse USB was enabled.

I rebooted and the BootCD booted correctly. I have had a lot of problems with this install, but all of them have been because I deviated from the plan. The h/w has to have at most 2GB RAM and an all SATA drive system. At this time I am able to boot into the Snow Leopard install process, but when I go into disk utilities, define a partition and attempt to enter the partion name the keyboard is non responsive. I am now going to retry this with different KBs to see if that will solve the issue. One lesson that I've learned is that given instructions, theymust be followed to the letter. Best regards, Saga

Hello guys,

did the bios update,

thx,

sas

I need help with Cham patch for > 2GB RAM

Hello all, I am new to the Mac/Hack scene. I am now in the process of installing SL to my PC and have gotten all the components, flashed my BIOS with the patched BIOS referenced by Jon55 and have gotten the Cham patch so that my PC can have more than 2GB RAM.

Can some one please tell me how the patched Cham pkg file integrates with the Cham files that I have? Do I substitute the pathced file for one of the pkg files in the Cham package? I have no experience with Mac at all, but am willing to do my homework. Please orient me as to how to proceed or where to do further research on this topic. Thanks! Saga

Sorry about the last part of the post. I thought I had posted in a different post.

Saga

Hello all, I am new to the Mac/Hack scene. I am now in the process of installing SL to my PC and have gotten all the components, flashed my BIOS with the patched BIOS referenced by Jon55 and have gotten the Cham patch so that my PC can have more than 2GB RAM.

Can some one please tell me how the patched Cham pkg file integrates with the Cham files that I have? Do I substitute the pathced file for one of the pkg files in the Cham package? I have no experience with Mac at all, but am willing to do my homework. Please orient me as to how to proceed or where to do further research on this topic. Thanks! Saga

PS: Sorry about duplicating thi stext so many times. I am still getting the hang of how to post here and it seems that somehow I select a new post, but my text gets annexed to a previously existing post.

Issue: Keyboard(KB) nonresponsive

My setup has a USB mouse and PS/2 KB. The mouse worked fine, but thekeyboard was non responsive. I swapped out the KB with a much newer one, but issue persisted.

I then disconnected both mouse and KB and installed an old Logitech EX110, got it to work under Windows and then tested again with the Mac OS Installer. This configuration worked fine.

Does the PC need to have a USB mouse and KB? Any one working ok with PS/2 hardware? Thanks, Saga

Microphone not working.

Since i upgraded to 10.6.(0|1|2) it seems that my microphone isn't working. Output on sound works ok, but microphone giving any thing. Does any one have the same problem?

If i look at my dmesg is see that this is maybe the fault of AppleHDA.

Unsolicited ( true )" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-179.1.4/AppleHDA/AppleHDACodecGeneric.cpp" at line 989 goto handler

Sound assertion "0 != result" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-179.1.4/AppleHDA/AppleHDAWidget.cpp" at line 3641 goto handler

Sound assertion "0 != widget->setUnsolicited ( true )" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-179.1.4/AppleHDA/AppleHDACodecGeneric.cpp" at line 989 goto handler

Sound assertion "0 != result" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-179.1.4/AppleHDA/AppleHDAWidget.cpp" at line 3641 goto handler

Sound assertion "0 != widget->setUnsolicited ( true )" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-179.1.4/AppleHDA/AppleHDACodecGeneric.cpp" at line 989 goto handler

Any clues?

hello,

I had to disable graphics, otherwise it was not possible to install SL because of a kernel panic,

later i figured out that NVDAResman.kext was the fault,

I installed the other .kext I mentioned to give them a try and get hopefully better graphic accelleration, but this was not the case, nothing changed.

I have connected a acer lcd via vga, dvi does not work(black screen) hdmi does not work as well,

Installing history: installing via boot disk(neither efi nor that bootcd mentioned in the guide) does not work -> black screen or kernel panic(tested with severel bios settings), I installed it via usb hdd(restore of dvd) installed chameleon 2 rc4 and severel kext(including framebuffer_disable.kext),

SL was working stable(but no graphic and sound) so I installed the kext from your guide and did entry changes as well as insalling the chameleon 2 rc3(guide link)

I also did the bios flash,

I'm new to mac, maybe I forgot some setting possibilities?

It would be great to fix this issue.

Thanks a lot

I didn't really understand your installation.

You have disabled graphics. Does that mean that you use an external graphic card? And your monitor is connected to that?

Where did you install SL? On your USB-HDD or on the IDE-HDD?

So, the most important thing for you is that you can boot the install cd (restored on USB).

Is it possible to boot into the installation environment with flashed BIOS, onboard graphics, monitor connected to DVI (possibly via DVI-VGA adapter)? In this case you should have a correct resolution by default and you should be able to make a fresh installation on USB-HDD.

Try it out and post what works and what doesn't.

Have fun!

I will get back to you on the other issues.

PS: Sorry about duplicating thi stext so many times. I am still getting the hang of how to post here and it seems that somehow I select a new post, but my text gets annexed to a previously existing post.

Have a look into the README file within the Chameleon Package (doc folder). There you will find an explanation how to install the single parts of the package by hand. Just substitute with the parts of the patched Chameleon.

Issue: Keyboard(KB) nonresponsive

My setup has a USB mouse and PS/2 KB. The mouse worked fine, but thekeyboard was non responsive. I swapped out the KB with a much newer one, but issue persisted.

I then disconnected both mouse and KB and installed an old Logitech EX110, got it to work under Windows and then tested again with the Mac OS Installer. This configuration worked fine.

Does the PC need to have a USB mouse and KB? Any one working ok with PS/2 hardware? Thanks, Saga

It would be easierer to use an USB KB. Did you try out these PS/2-enabler-kexts which you can find in other forums?

Done yeahhhh!

So guys it works, after so many hours!!

What was the problem: I tried so many things and at least one little thing I was not able to see!!

I have got 2 displays, one is plugged in via hdmi the other one via vga, so it is possible to use 2 Monitors

in windows using our on board graka! I tested vga, dvi and hdmi and today I realised that my vga calbe was connected every time I tested!

So vga is the fault, if it is connected (at least with one of my acer monitors) the NVDAResman.kext does not work and the display turns black!!!!

Thank you all for guiding me to get SL run on a PC!!!

Great work!

best regards,

nik

PS: Maybe one should mention this in the guide, could someone safe time :(

Microphone not working.

Since i upgraded to 10.6.(0|1|2) it seems that my microphone isn't working. Output on sound works ok, but microphone giving any thing. Does any one have the same problem?

If i look at my dmesg is see that this is maybe the fault of AppleHDA.

Unsolicited ( true )" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-179.1.4/AppleHDA/AppleHDACodecGeneric.cpp" at line 989 goto handler

Any clues?

Try to use the ALC889a_LayoutID885.zip offered here

HDAEnabler.kext and one of the LegacyHDA.kext should be placed in /E/E

Using these kexts I have no failures in bootmessages. But one of the 4 outs will be silent. Mic works.

Hello guys, I m still struggling with that >2gig problem.

When I extract boot file and move it into /usr/standalone/i388/

I can not boot up again,

when chameleon is loaded it says somthing like

boot:...

boot:..

boot0 :error

I have installed 2x2gig inserted in the yellow slots.

Did I forget anything?

regards,

nik

Hello guys, I m still struggling with that >2gig problem.

When I extract boot file and move it into /usr/standalone/i388/

I can not boot up again,

when chameleon is loaded it says somthing like

boot:...

boot:..

boot0 :error

I have installed 2x2gig inserted in the yellow slots.

Did I forget anything?

regards,

nik

Try to understand my answer to SGarcia in Post 367.

Good luck!

Loo

Done yeahhhh!

So guys it works, after so many hours!!

What was the problem: I tried so many things and at least one little thing I was not able to see!!

I have got 2 displays, one is plugged in via hdmi the other one via vga, so it is possible to use 2 Monitors

in windows using our on board graka! I tested vga, dvi and hdmi and today I realised that my vga calbe was connected every time I tested!

So vga is the fault, if it is connected (at least with one of my acer monitors) the NVDAResman.kext does not work and the display turns black!!!!

Thank you all for guiding me to get SL run on a PC!!!

Great work!

best regards,

nik

PS: Maybe one should mention this in the guide, could someone safe time :whistle:

Look back a few pages and you'll find something about configuring mirror mode for two monitors, can't remember if is is for DVI/VGA. DVI/HDMI or both.

I added a section to the notices on the first page of the guide that says to take baby steps, e.g. get the basics working, don't use more than one monitor, DO use a USB keyboard and mouse. And to not deviate from the guide the first time through. I also added a reminder to read through the whole thread and try search tools before posting questions. This is common courtesy/standard etiquette for this board but people seem to ignore or otherwise not know it.

In general we are all best off if we deviate the least from a vanilla install. Anything you add has the potential to become a problem. Sleepenabler.kext is a great example, It worked great on SL 10.6.0 and 10.6.1 and then you upgrade to 10.6.2 and BANG! Kernel panic, and you have to go dig out the boot disc and try to get yourself to a place where you can delete the damn kext. And what do we do? As soon as possible we put the one that netkas patched for 10.6.2 in place. A ticking time bomb but we need it because sleep is really necessary especially when you don't have reliable shutdown or restart.

That is why I bought the USB audio (I now recommend the Behringer from Amazon) and the Rosewill PCIE network card,

They just work out of the box. No AppleHDAEnabler or LegacyHDA, no nForceLan hack. Right now I am trying to get to the point where I only need PlatformUUID and FakeSMC in /E/E and if I can get there, I am reasonably confident I'll be able to just take any Apple update at least for the life of SL and this board.

I apologize for getting preachy on you all. I really don't expect everybody be on board with this because we're all doing it for different reasons. I'm just telling it the way I see it.

Awesome information!

If you think this thread is overwhelming you need to poke around in these forums some more.

I mentioned the card a couple of times and even posted a link, not that many pages back. The card is a Rosewill 401 PCIE GigE card from NewEgg. It uses a Marvel chipset that just works.

Also I believe you were asking about a PS/2 keyboard problem. My gut reaction is to say "don't do that". Spring for a USB keyboard.

If you absolutely have to use one, look for the Snow Leopard PS2 kext on these boards. But as I said above, you really should stick to a vanilla install.

Good luck.

Try to understand my answer to SGarcia in Post 367.

Good luck!

Hello,

I read your answer but did not found any doc in the package, doesn't matter anymore,

found this guide:

http://www.insanelymac.com/2009/04/how-to-...ameleon-20-rc1/

I am sorry, sometimes I'm a little impatient, the instructions concerning the >2gig problem are little confusing if you are new to osx86,

nevertheless great forum,

best regards,

nik

Rosewill 401 PCIE GigE card

I apologize for getting preachy on you all. I really don't expect everybody be on board with this because we're all doing it for different reasons. I'm just telling it the way I see it.

Thanks for your reply. No need to apologize! I have been on both sides of the fence being both the "kind soul that helps" and the "pest that just doesn't get it". The work on the guide is appreciated and I need to say this since at this time I find myself being the "pest". :-)

Since I have absolutely no experience with Macs, I find some of the instructions a bit hard to follow. I have come a long way, having problem after problem because I deviated from the plan or simply do not know how to use Mac OS X. My problems have ranged from first having 4GB installed then using IDE devices then using a PS/2 KB. I have managed to keep trying different options until I am now at the point where Snow Leopard boots (step 12 of the guide for SL). I removed 2GB RAM, switched to an all SATA installation and dug up an old USB KB. So far, I am extremely happy with the results!

If you think this thread is overwhelming you need to poke around in these forums some more.

Slowly but surely, I am beginning to explore this repository of information! I expect to see the day when I can contribute something back.

I mentioned the card a couple of times and even posted a link, not that many pages back. The card is a Rosewill 401 PCIE GigE card from NewEgg. It uses a Marvel chipset that just works.

That is correct, I saw that post, but I was unable to locate the post (or posts) where you mentioned the type of card or the link. Thank you for repeating this info here!

I include the link to NewEgg (valid as of March 9, 2010)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16833166015

Also I believe you were asking about a PS/2 keyboard problem. My gut reaction is to say "don't do that". Spring for a USB keyboard.

Well, I mentioned the KB problem, but I was not at the point of asking yet :-) I still had options. My first attempt to install was using a PS/2 mouse and KB. I had intermittent problems. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it did not. The guide did not specifically mention to use USB devices (this was in January, way before the March 9th 2010 edit), but then I switched to a USB mouse and that worked, so I suspected that it might be the PS/2 interface. I connected a USB KB that I had and that worked nicely.

Good luck.

Thanks - the true value is the knowledge that I am getting during the installation. It is fascinating going from 0% know how to at least enough to be able to install SL on my PC. I believe that I *have* taken baby steps, running into many problems and solving each one of them as they come along. Some of them easy to solve (like the 4GB RAM "d'uh") and some not so easy, like the problem I mention in my other post (as soon as I type it up).

I see that Sasebanana solved the 2GB limit problem with Cham. I will have a look at the link that he referenced.

Again thanks for your assistance, not to mention patience! Regards, SGarcia

Clicked link, got "Page not found"

Searched all entries of 4/2009, no dice. Can you give more info about this guide?

Thanks, Garcia

Hello,

I read your answer but did not found any doc in the package, doesn't matter anymore,

found this guide:

http://www.insanelymac.com/2009/04/how-to-...ameleon-20-rc1/

I am sorry, sometimes I'm a little impatient, the instructions concerning the >2gig problem are little confusing if you are new to osx86,

nevertheless great forum,

best regards,

nik