The Porting Team

locoputo

140 posts in this topic

Right latest update: We have convinced our provider to give us a short period of time for backups as we cannot afford this month with our hosting company. So, today I have made backups of the latest that there is. So most importantly nothing has been lost! To prevent loss of any more posts after the backup i have disabled the forum. I am not sure why the server is still up as it was meant to be taken offline again at 11 GMT. But nevertheless, the most important thing has been taken care off. I am in the middle of exams so I sadly can not devote myself to organising a new host and restoring the backups and doing all the changes needed once on a new host and I can not predict how long this will take.

Given the current financial status we have decided to cancel our contract for this month with our host since our credit card payment failed in the first place. Since the host we are(or were) with currently are very reliable and responsive I would prefer not to change providers. It is (hopefully) likely that our financial status will return to a more stable level over the next month and the site will be restored asap. If we find any temporary inexpensive solution until we return to our host we will keep you updated. Until then, keep porting and keep believing in the game porting team.

All further updates will be announced in this thread until further notice.

Sidenote: I agree with jsway on the topic of using a subsection on another forum.

Currently we are in search of a new hosting company, we had some weird problems with the old one. (takes too long to explain)

I know that loco PM'd piratx about his offer to host the site, and we'll see to what things work out from this.

Personally i think we'll go to another provider again, if someone knows a good provider that has these specs for an account please post them here:

-Linux Hosting

-about 250 to 500 MB of disk space

-unlimited bandwidth

-should have a monthly plan of about 10 $/pound or so

The last one we were at before our current one was good at first (hostgd), until they got eaten by another company and then nuked our entire database. Repeatedly.

Currently only loco has the full backup of the iBrain domain (Blogs and Forum), but he has his Exams at the moment and is very busy.

So the Game Porting Team will fully return (i think within a week or so), until then have some fun in the sun; think of it as the GPT's summer break ;)

cya

dev

So the Game Porting Team will fully return (i think within a week or so), until then have some fun in the sun; think of it as the GPT's summer break :)

a break? i gotta get Wineskin working! finally got time to work on it again, maybe i can have a new version ready to go by the time the site is back up.

a break? i gotta get Wineskin working! finally got time to work on it again, maybe i can have a new version ready to go by the time the site is back up.

I asked loco to PM you the topic about the Wineskin wrapper.

(extracting it from the site's backups should work)

TheDoh123: It's sadly not that easy extracting just the first post from your topic on the wineskin especially as the whole database has been dumped into a 35.5MB file, but when I have time later on I will try a few tricks and I'll send you a pm when I've got it.

Would you happen to have a line that you know is in your post that I could search for exactly? Such as "This is the new WineSkin" or I don't know, some line that will lead me to your post in the database dump file.

Thank you to those pming me with hosting ideas, it is much appreciated.

TheDoh123: It's sadly not that easy extracting just the first post from your topic on the wineskin especially as the whole database has been dumped into a 35.5MB file, but when I have time later on I will try a few tricks and I'll send you a pm when I've got it.

Would you happen to have a line that you know is in your post that I could search for exactly? Such as "This is the new WineSkin" or I don't know, some line that will lead me to your post in the database dump file.

Thank you to those pming me with hosting ideas, it is much appreciated.

oh... my... I really don't know for sure anything close that would be quite unique... I don't try to remember things like that that I write down... and I really kept planning on making my own list and keeping it the same as the posting but I got lazy, so its not really anyones fault but my own for my lack of organization.

If you cannot get it, that is fine, its not life or death, I'll still remember most of the things I need to do, and I'm sure people will give me some input.

I'll help all I can Doh.

thats cool...thanks! I'm working on it... trying to rush out a decently usable version, maybe without all the features, but usable to make quick ports... since the Crossover Wrappers aren't working at all in Snow Leopard... I already updated all my own games with my own stuff so I'm not using any of the Crossover ones anymore.... not that I'm going to take the time to play any for a few weeks :-P

Hoping to have one more testing version out soon, that hopefully I can find some people around here to help me test... then do some finalizing for a next version that will be good enough to use to make distributable ports.... but its still going to have the X11.app limitations, I'm just not knowledgeable enough at this point to make a good stable X11 to build in like Crossover does.

I'm not positive, but I believe a Crossover Games 8.0 wrapper will fix the Snow Leopard issues?

Either way I'm all in for supporting Wineskin, I like the idea of not having bottles. ;D

I'll gladly help out in any way, and test for you when you feel it's ready.

You could always just link the download to the x11 required if the person wanting to run wineskin doesn't have it.

I'm not positive, but I believe a Crossover Games 8.0 wrapper will fix the Snow Leopard issues?

Either way I'm all in for supporting Wineskin, I like the idea of not having bottles. ;D

I'll gladly help out in any way, and test for you when you feel it's ready.

You could always just link the download to the x11 required if the person wanting to run wineskin doesn't have it.

Crossover Games 8 actually runs really good... but being able to figure out how to make a wrapper based off of it that doesn't use Crossover Chromium as a base might be hard. Its that base thats the problem.... even the Crossover Mac 8 wrapper the Doc made still was based off Chromium and doesn't work on Snow Leopard, even though Crossover Mac 8 works on it fine.

I'm tying to make Wineskin run so that anyone can make a wrapper with it and distribute it, so that anyone else can not even have to know it was made with Wineskin, and still have it work on their machine.... so requiring a certain install of X11 wouldn't be my first choice.

Wineskin still has a "bottle" but its stored all inside of the .app. Crossover wrappers store it in Application support because thats how Crossover does it. Codeweavers just made a quick script in Crosssover Chromium that made a "lndir" command into application support so none of their other code that automatically looked there for Crossover bottles had to find the actual files contained inside the app.... I just instead made it find its current location inside the app and use it there, which I think makes a lot more sense than having to set up a shadow directory elsewhere.... but that would have taken a lot of recoding on Codeweavers part since they hard coded so much to look inside that one folder. I like using a lot of system variables, and things that are easy to change, and not hard coded to very specific locations.

When I had integrated X11 into Wineskin, I had to hard compile my X11 for a set place (limitation of xfree86 and x.org), so I did the same thing for that... i used a lndir script to hide a shadow directory in the set place that pointed inside of the wrapper... it worked fine... of course my X11 builds always sucked, i couldn't ever get one stable enough to really play any good games with Wine, so I ended up giving up on it. If Xquartz would ever add true xrandr support when running X11 apps in fullscreen mode, it would be awesome... and even Crossover wouldn't need to build in their own X server.

anyways, right now I'm busy trying to make my whole menu drag and drop...

Drag and drop your installed game folder HERE .. and it puts it inside the wrapper for you right... then choose the executable file...

I'm also adding a drag and drop for an installer file, like from a download or a disc, so people can drag and drop an installer and have it run through and install a game inside of the wrapper.

already have drag and drop your icon to change that...

Still have to work more on the advanced settings, mainly with Winetricks, and common Direct3D Wine Registry entires.

also planning on making all my Wine.bundles usable to change out Wine versions.... i have quite a few versions and can stick them up for download with the wrapper. I want to add in so anyone can download the Wine.bundle version they want and be able to drag and drop it through the menu and have it change out the Wine version in the wrapper. That can be a headache though, because some versions need different .reg files and system32 files. So... if I do that, I t will be a lot of work. It would have to back up registry entires and installed games, remove the "bottle" rebuild a new one, and put the reg entires and installed files back. not sure I feel like doing that.... the registry entires are the hardest part.... and not sure i could write a script that would do it right for any installed program.

I might just make it where it will change out the Wine version with a disclaimer that if there is registry problems with the new Wine version, the builder needs to try it on a blank clean wrapper themselves first, and not after the game is installed.

just for your information: I was able to create a CX Games 8.0 wrapper which is based on the RC1 build - other builds have demo limitations and are not suitable for wrapping (yet).

It still uses the old Chromium application, but I recently came across this topic in the Codeweavers support forum:

The next release of Crossover Games will work out of the box with snow leopard.

In the meantime there are some manual steps you'll need to do to get the current

release running in snow leopard. These steps need to be done in Terminal.

So, first, you need to "thin" quartz-wm:

$ cd /usr/bin

$ sudo mv quartz-wm quartz-wm.bak

$ sudo lipo -thin i386 quartz-wm.bak -output quartz-wm

Then you'll need to launch CXGames from the command line with a special

environment variable set which tells Perl to run as 32-bit:

VERSIONER_PERL_PREFER_32_BIT=yes /Applications/CrossOver\ Games.app/

Contents/MacOS/CrossOver\ Games

now I don't have Snow Leopard installed yet, so maybe someone else who is reading this and who has already upgraded wants to try it out.

I'm not sure if this works with the wrapper, but if it's a perl related issue it should be fixable...

cheers

thedoctor45

I might just make it where it will change out the Wine version with a disclaimer that if there is registry problems with the new Wine version, the builder needs to try it on a blank clean wrapper themselves first, and not after the game is installed.

I can see why it's taking a while, you've got quite a lot on your plate.

now I don't have Snow Leopard installed yet, so maybe someone else who is reading this and who has already upgraded wants to try it out.

I'm not sure if this works with the wrapper, but if it's a perl related issue it should be fixable...

I'll see if I can get someone to do it.

Doh123, just check out the cached page of it!

http://74.125.93.132/search?q=cache:0UblLk...p;client=safari

I also attached a word document that looks prettier. Enjoy!

Doh123.doc

By the way, if anyone can port a usable copy of VAG-COM, let me know. I can run it in CrossOver, but I don't have any drop down menus like the "Options" menu or anything. So if you can help me out with that, let me know. You can download VAG-COM at http://www.Ross-Tech.com/vcds/download/current.html. Please somebody. I'd do it but I'm lost at how to get the menus to appear...

just for your information: I was able to create a CX Games 8.0 wrapper which is based on the RC1 build - other builds have demo limitations and are not suitable for wrapping (yet).

It still uses the old Chromium application, but I recently came across this topic in the Codeweavers support forum:

So, first, you need to "thin" quartz-wm:

$ cd /usr/bin

$ sudo mv quartz-wm quartz-wm.bak

$ sudo lipo -thin i386 quartz-wm.bak -output quartz-wm

Then you'll need to launch CXGames from the command line with a special

environment variable set which tells Perl to run as 32-bit:

VERSIONER_PERL_PREFER_32_BIT=yes /Applications/CrossOver\ Games.app/Contents/MacOS/CrossOver\ Games

cheers

thedoctor45

I've been playing around with a wrapper but never got it to work - awesome to hear about yours!

Running Snow Leopard I did what was explained in the above post and everything seems to be working fine with the app and with wrappers it worked perfectly! (I just copied "VERSIONER_PERL_PREFER_32_BIT=yes" into terminal and then dragged the "CrossOver Chromium" into terminal like launching any wrapper I'd do). Out of interest could you add this to the launch id thing in the .plist when telling it to launch "CrossOver Chromium" inside MacOS and make it so anyone can run it with this option until there's a proper fix made?

Here's what terminal spewed out (just for interest) when i tried it with the WinRAR port. It launched in what.... 1/4 the time it took under leopard?

Release Date: 18 December 2003
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.8.2
Build Operating System: Mac OS X Apple Computer, Inc.
Current Operating System: Darwin (Computer Name)-Macbook.local 10.0.0 Darwin Kernel Version 10.0.0: Fri Jul 31 22:47:34 PDT 2009; root:xnu-1456.1.25~1/RELEASE_I386 i386
Before reporting problems, check http://www.codeweavers.com/support/
to make sure that you have the latest version.
_XSERVTransmkdir: Owner of /tmp/.CrossOver should be set to root
Loading GLX bundle glxCGL.bundle (using Apple's OpenGL)
Display mode: Rootless Quartz -- Xplugin implementation
PseudoramiX screen 0 added: 1280x779 @ (0,21).
PseudoramiX screen 0 placed at X11 coordinate (0,0).
[DRI] screen 0 installation complete
Screen 0 added: 1280x779 @ (0,21)
Screen 0 placed at X11 coordinate (0,0).
dyld: warning, DYLD_ setting caused circular dependency in /Applications/WinRAR.app/Contents/SharedSupport/X11/lib/libGL.dylib

Thanks for sharing this - I can use the ports again and for me more importantly.... I can play Sim City 4 again without it being laggy! It seemed to work with most of the Cider Ports I tried with it too - though some had crazy errors that I'd never seen before related to certain X11 things I presume.

There is hope for the future and 10.6!