[GUIDE] (10.5.x) Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3 Retail Tutorial

CaptainNemo

225 posts in this topic

You're welcome. I'm happy to hear that the instructions seems to work nicely also with your board, even if it's not perfect.

Let me explain a thing about the cpumngmt.kext. When you use a distribution like Kalyway, iAtkos or so (which are REALLY good!), you really have to be aware of this. Apple has installed routines in the updates that would kick your Hackintoshs installation badly and this really often results in systems that no longer boot. I spend exactly 12h's on the GA-P35-DS3 to get Kalyway 10.5.2 running a few months ago, upgraded to 10.5.6. I think I reinstalled the system for 6 or 7x this day (it was a rainy Saturday, so it was Ok). When everything worked great and I used it for some hours, I got a lot of Kernel Panics. This was the day when I really learned a lot about this board and the hardware.

Retail installations are completely other kind of installations. Distributions are hacked. Really hacked, means, the code was modified which makes the usage illegal. Installing a Retail DVD on the other side is not a problem, because you use the regular Retail disc (yes, you have to buy it :o ). But this little difference also makes a difference regarding updates. The system really "thinks" that it is installed on a real Mac. EFI is emulated on the boot by the Chameleon tool and sits in your OS while running the OS. So the update doesn't harm your installation on the Retail install which means: the usage of this disabler.kext is not needed here. I think it doesn't make a real difference if you use it or not, I just want to explain it so that you and other readers understand the real benefit of the Retail variant.

I just can recommend you to get another additional HDD if you want it the easy way. As described before, I haven't used to install 2 or more systems on one HDD, so sorry - I can't help you with this, but I think that Windows has killed the bootsector.

If you install a Linux and a Windows on one HDD, it is HIGHLY recommended to install Windows first, then install Linux afterwards. GRUB is able to work with both, Linux and also Windows partitions. Windows is MBR, Mac OS X is EFI and with Windows bootloader (ntldr.sys) has possibly killed the EFI boot partition. If that is killed, no Chameleon is able to help you. Chameleon can just navigate you to the right bootsector, but if it's killed: no chance. Anyway - it boots without any issues using the CD. The stuff that you load while booting the ISO CD-R IS the bootsector. Sounds funny, but it's that way :-)

Maybe this helps. My recommendation: Install Windows Vista, 7, whatever and leave enough space FREE on the HDD to create a partition with the Disk Utility in the OS X Installer. Install it as GUID and you should be fine. Well, there's one thing that could also happen: Maybe Chameleon does not allow you to boot Windows anymore. Maybe search the forum for this topic. I'm sure there are great instructions around.

Hmm - I really understand this. I live in Germany and our goverment is about to really go nuts regarding data protection. Every ISP has to log EVERYTHING you do back to 6 months. So I really understand your concerns and I'm also looking out for a payable DNS or VPN access which does not drop my downspeed from 16 to 8MBit/s or so ;) Regarding the system security: don't you use a hardware router that has a nice build-in firewall? This should solve SOME of these OS X issues regarding security.

That's the main issue of more and more people using OS X, the "bad guys" also seek out for new victims and the Mac users always had those idea that Mac OS is the savest OS in the world. Honestly - the truth is, that even Vista is much more secure! :/

Ciao

Nemo

Thanks man. I cant wait to get home to try this out. No more disabler kext for me. If it does not work I will try try again. Thanks again.

Hmm - I really understand this. I live in Germany and our goverment is about to really go nuts regarding data protection. Every ISP has to log EVERYTHING you do back to 6 months. So I really understand your concerns and I'm also looking out for a payable DNS or VPN access which does not drop my downspeed from 16 to 8MBit/s or so :o Regarding the system security: don't you use a hardware router that has a nice build-in firewall? This should solve SOME of these OS X issues regarding security.

That's the main issue of more and more people using OS X, the "bad guys" also seek out for new victims and the Mac users always had those idea that Mac OS is the savest OS in the world. Honestly - the truth is, that even Vista is much more secure! :/

Ciao

Nemo

Well, I just using a adsl modem (speedstream 4200) with NAPT on and firewall settings on too. But I dont really trust it. But, I hope I can learn the ipfw and do something, otherwise I will stay with vista + firewall by software. And yes, I agree with you, the dark ages of the internet its about to begin. They will hunt us down and burn every one they can.

You're welcome - and please keep us updated :rolleyes:

Just a quick post to let you know that unfortunately this didn't work for me either. The custom boot132 boots ok, but it does not pick up the OSX dvdrom disc - even though the disk itself is perfectly readable under iPC - it even asks me if I want to install OSX when I put it in the tray. Could I possibly boot iPC and then run the osx installer from the dvd disc?

@invisiblesurfer: Hmm not sure. Not tested honestly. Are you really 100% sure that your disc is Ok? Sounds for me that it's not written bootable onto the disk. Have you written it using the disk utility on OS X or on Windows?

Hi,

I tried the manual to install mac osx.

when i change the custom boot-cd with the mac dvd, press enter again and again, i get an ebios read error 0x01 and i cant find a solution.

bios settings are the same as in the manual and i don't use the purple connectors.

HD is a Western Digital 250GB

The drives are from LG, both SATA.

Can somebody maybe help me?

greetz xXDravenXx

hey :D

a friend of mine's having big problems.

First there are some EBIOS read errors, then it stops @

dsc00450ksl.th.jpg

tried basically everthing (AHCI, IDE, unplug HDD, check Bios 12F, switch SATA ports etc.)

His config

Q6600 G0 Stock

2x2 GB DDR2 800Mhz

1x 250 GB HDD (WD 2500YD-02NVB1) Sata (orange port)

1x DVD Writer (LG GSA-H66N) Sata (orange port)

USB mouse

PS2 keyboard

Hi all,

Thanks CaptainNemo for your fantastic guide.

I've put together the whole thing in a printable PDF document for easy reference. Credit of course goes to CaptainNemo, but it did take me awhile to format everything nicely! Well here it is, for those who need.

Enjoy!

P.S. Remember, if this works out well and you like OS X, please support Apple by buying a mac!

GUIDEGigabyteGA_P35_DS3RetailTutorial.pdf

hey :angel:

a friend of mine's having big problems.

First there are some EBIOS read errors, then it stops @

dsc00450ksl.th.jpg

tried basically everthing (AHCI, IDE, unplug HDD, check Bios 12F, switch SATA ports etc.)

His config

Q6600 G0 Stock

2x2 GB DDR2 800Mhz

1x 250 GB HDD (WD 2500YD-02NVB1) Sata (orange port)

1x DVD Writer (LG GSA-H66N) Sata (orange port)

USB mouse

PS2 keyboard

Sorry for my late reply. I was kinda busy the last week, so I hadn't enough time to reply earlier. So - question No. 1: Is it a GA-P35-DS3 Rev 1.0 board?

PS2 keyboard: Get a USB keyboard, should work better. Tried installing with my Cherry PS2 keyboard, but I couldn't type - anyway - installation of OS X also works without keyboard :)

The rest looks good. Connecting both to the UPPER ports (marked as SATAII0 & SATAII1) and you should be ready to boot off. Don't use the SATAII5/6 ports (orange below, right of the purple ones) to install. Possibly this will not work before you install the AppleAHCI-drivers with the GA-Tool.

Hope this helps. Otherwise, I can't say that often enough: RESET YOUR BIOS (Optimized defaults).

Hi all,

Thanks CaptainNemo for your fantastic guide.

I've put together the whole thing in a printable PDF document for easy reference. Credit of course goes to CaptainNemo, but it did take me awhile to format everything nicely! Well here it is, for those who need.

Enjoy!

P.S. Remember, if this works out well and you like OS X, please support Apple by buying a mac!

WOW! That's pretty cool! I hate nothing more than situations when I can't access a tutorial because of own internet connection issues, site issues (database here :tomato:) or so. Much much thanks for this, TQB. I would put it to the very first post here, if you allow this.

Ciao

Nemo

WOW! That's pretty cool! I hate nothing more than situations when I can't access a tutorial because of own internet connection issues, site issues (database here :)) or so. Much much thanks for this, TQB. I would put it to the very first post here, if you allow this.

Ciao

Nemo

Yeah definitely. No problem. I agree. Sometimes the database on this forum just becomes so irregularly slow! (Don't kill me, mods! :tomato: )

Do you mind helping me put a link to my blog also? (http://thequantumbyte.com) Perhaps just after the red words in your first post where you linked the file?

That would be great, thanks.

Yeah definitely. No problem. I agree. Sometimes the database on this forum just becomes so irregularly slow! (Don't kill me, mods! :star_smile: )

Do you mind helping me put a link to my blog also? (http://thequantumbyte.com) Perhaps just after the red words in your first post where you linked the file?

That would be great, thanks.

Done :star_smile:

Captain Nemo, do you have any idea why I get a kernel panic every time I insert an external HDD via usb? I have the latest IOUSBFamily kext installed :star_smile:

Hmm... have you enabled or disabled the JMicron onboard?

Just tried it now with the XxX DVD.

Everything works fine now without an USB keyboard.

Also Sleep, Restart and Shutdown, everything.

The next i will buy is an USB keyboard.

Don't get in trouble with 10.5.7 which will come out pretty soon as I think :unsure: Good luck!

anyone update to 10.5.7 yet?

Yep! Unfortunaly I was in need to use GA Board for a 19" server inside my rack now, so I just can say it works without issues on my ASUS installation, using nearly the same media and way of installation, so installing 10.5.7 should be 99% save for the GA-P35-DS3 <_< The magic here is the Boot-132 and NOT the drivers.

I've updated the very first post in this thread reagarding this.

DON'T FORGET THAT YOU POSSIBLY HAVE TO RE-INSTALL YOUR DRIVERS AFTER A SYSTEM UPDATE! (using Kext Helper or OSx86-Tools or Gigabyte-Toolbox)

can confirm that software update works fine.

All I had to do was reinstall the audio drivers using osx86.. everything else seems to be working.. no kp's at least!

Tim.

Hi, tried to install with the retail dvd again...

I still get some:

EBIOS read error: 0x01

Block 16232536 Sectors 64

After this the pc restarts again.

The DVD is clean, no scratches or something like that.

Connected only to the upper SATA Ports, USB Keyboard and Mouse.

Same Bios configurations as in your screenshot

Any idea?

God, this is such a noob question I hate to even ask it, but after attempting to run the ISO cd I continue to get the world famous "/com.apple.Boot.plist not found" error which kicks me back into the "Press Enter to Start up Darwin x86 with no options etc".

I've done several kaly and leo4all installs and this is my first retail attempt.. what am I missing?

I AM running the p35-DS3R board, but I know others have made it through with this guide and I can't figure out what's catching me up. I've tried the ACHI setting in bios, on or off, I've reburned the CD several times. Tried different cd-rom drives (SATA and IDE) and tried the generic DS3R ISO with the same result.

Any help help guys? I know this is a real low-level stupid question...

Nemo, you've clearly made an awesome guide and I'd dying to get this thing running through your method!!

God, this is such a noob question I hate to even ask it, but after attempting to run the ISO cd I continue to get the world famous "/com.apple.Boot.plist not found" error which kicks me back into the "Press Enter to Start up Darwin x86 with no options etc".

I've done several kaly and leo4all installs and this is my first retail attempt.. what am I missing?

I AM running the p35-DS3R board, but I know others have made it through with this guide and I can't figure out what's catching me up. I've tried the ACHI setting in bios, on or off, I've reburned the CD several times. Tried different cd-rom drives (SATA and IDE) and tried the generic DS3R ISO with the same result.

Any help help guys? I know this is a real low-level stupid question...

Nemo, you've clearly made an awesome guide and I'd dying to get this thing running through your method!!

I wish I could help you out homie. I am running the same board as you. I completely killed my Jmicron in the BIOS. I am using the via 6421 sata/ide card for my IDE hard drives. I also followed this guide to get a perfectly working retail 10.5.6 install along with dual booting with Windows 7 on the same drive. Try burning the discs slower.

Ah thanks Allen, yours was one of the rigs that gave me hope, but I appreciate your time man. Still, if you could do it I should be able to.. oh hey- what firmware are you running on your board?

Ah thanks Allen, yours was one of the rigs that gave me hope, but I appreciate your time man. Still, if you could do it I should be able to.. oh hey- what firmware are you running on your board?

I think that I have the F4 Bios if I am not mistaken. All I know is that it is the next to the last bios. And I have the revision 2.1 board. I only wish I had support for my x-fi xtrememusic card. But anyway, just be sure to follow instructions carefully. And another thing, did you buy the retail disk or download a copy? I will not judge you if you download. But if thats the case, you can not really burn the disc within windows without certain software. So this COULD be your issue.

Okay, thanks again man. I'll update my FW see if that makes a difference.

And I never even made it to the retail DVD installation point, the ISO CD never loads without dumping me into the plist error. I get those long strings of dots "....................." covering the screen and then BAM. Hell, I'd feel better if it WAS the DVD, I would have more options at that point haha...

But anyway, I appreciate your help bro!

First of all thanks to capain nemo for the fantastic guide.

Installed retail OS X 4 weeks ago followed every single step without any problem. Got every thing to work fine.

After update to 10.5.7 last weekend no Q/E any more and no automatic sleep. Reinstall of ATI kext not solved the problem. Manual sleep and wake up works.

I saw other users of real macs have problems with graphics and sleep as well. My real macs updated with no problems so far.

has any one an idee, what to do next.