[GUIDE] (10.5.x) Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3 Retail Tutorial

CaptainNemo

225 posts in this topic

CaptainNemo,

Thanks for the response, to answer your questions:

The DS3R comes with an ICH9R controller, which of course gives it RAID capabilities (which are disabled). I have replaced AppleAHCIPort.kext with one that supports it (appears to be an official one). Like I said though, problems came about after the Java security update (and the other updates that showed up post-10.5.6) so I don't want to pinpoint it to that though I can replace it with the one provided in your tutorial.

This is a clean install from full retail, no "upgrades" or anything.

Looking at the logs, I have a lot of kextd_2009-03-23-07* and kextload_2009-03-23-* crash reports. None seems to specify what kext (if any) though it may be kernel related instead. The latest security updates don't repalce the kernel, do they?

UPDATE:

On a hunch, I removed AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext (which must have been installed as part of an update because I KNOW I removed it before) and now the system starts up correctly!!!

Strange though, and maybe this is my ignorance, but I could have sworn I read someplace that if you have the DSDT patch in place you can ignore AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext. Oh well. A little bit of info for anyone else having similar issues.

CaptainNemo,

I followed your guide to a T and i must say it was the easiest i have ever seen. The screen shots you provided were great because it provided me with the visuals i needed to know that i was doing everything right. I hope that others will follow what you have done when it comes to doing tutorials

• 2 weeks later...

CaptainNemo AMAZING GUIDE! 

My Specs: 

E4400 (3ghz oc) dual core / Gigabyte P35 DS3R / 640GB SATA / SATA DVD / 8600 GT

My Problems/Solutions:

When darwin loaded into the mobo and I inserted leopard dvd I would see the white apple screen flash for 1 second and then my mobo would restart. SOLUTION: typed in "cpus=1" when booting off of darwin. 

Leopard only recognized one core. Obviously because I was using cpus=1 to boot everytime or else the computer would restart. SOLUTION: In your bios enable No-Execute Memory Protect and no more cpus=1 required and leopard will see 2 cores.

Shutdown works fine after I enabled No-Execute Memory Protect or when I flashed the bios from F4 to F11. Sleep works with ACPI suspend Type set to [s1 (POS)] haven't tried S3 yet.

Everything else seems to be working perfectly and  can report that my 2007 built PC offes a significant advantage over my Macbook Pro late 2008.

Hi guys,

sorry for delaying here, I just sold my Mac Pro, because I thought my new Core 2 Quad (Q9650) could do a better job. Unfortunally, it seems like the needed firmware (14C) for the DS3 Rev1.0 seems to be totally {censored} :rolleyes: (Be warned! 12F works stable as previous ones). The 12F release also "sees" the Q9650 CPU, but doesn't detect it really - it simply shows up "333x9". Anyway - all cores are working fine in Leopard and Cinebench approves that. Just FYI! :)

By the way: I also bought a new board - an ASUS P5Q Deluxe with 3x PCIe x16. BIG FAILURE! You need to patch your BIOS and do a lot strange things to get Leopard running (IF you get it. I simply gave up and put my Q9650 on my well known GA-P35-DS3).

@tessa17: Thanks so much for the flowers :) I'm very happy that my tutorial is useful for all guys with this board!

@vendo: Thanks goes out to you as well! If you allow, I'll add this to my tutorial. I want to extend it for DS3R, maybe this also helps Macmeister to get it running. :P

@Macmeister: Hmmm - I don't get it honestly - does it work now or not? :unsure:

did you try edit the apple.bootlist (I dont remember the correct name of the file now) ?

Oh by the way! Just have added the Step 13, an easy step by step guide to make your Chameleon boot from your haddisk after 5 seconds wait (sure this can be modified as you like to ;)).

Ciao

Nemo

@CaptainNemo: I followed your older tutorial to install 10.5.6 onto my Gbyte P35-DS3P (not retail, but Kalyway). Everything works well except my IDE CD/DVD drive. When I burn stuff onto it, the whole system freezes. I know this has to do with the JMicron.kext, which I replaced with a patched version last time to fix the kernel panic problem. What should I do in this instance?

Thanks for the guide. Will use this method next time.

Hey Isaac,

well, I would highly recommend 2 things regarding this (very annoying) issue:

1st: Get a (nowadays really cheap) SATA DVD+-/RW-Drive for around 30 Euro (don't know the prices in Bangkok) - I personally can recommend LG drives.

2nd: Disable the JMicron/Onboard G-SATA controller as shown at my instructions in the other thread.

Anyway, some guys have replied at the other thread that it works for them without any issues and Kernel Panics. Which Rev is your board? 1.0 or 2.0? Maybe that's an explaination.

Sorry that I don't have a better tip for you, but spending a few bucks is indeed a much much faster way to go around this issue.

Ciao

Nemo

Thanks CaptainNemo, for your answer.

I agree with you. The best thing for me to do now is to get a new SATA DVD Drive. Do you know if I can get any one, or will there be compatibility issues with drivers or anything like that? Or, as long as its a sata interface, it's fine?

Thanks

CaptainNemo you are a legend, thanks so much for the guide. I have 10.5.6 working perfectly now, thanks to you! I used the 10.5.6 retail DVD, so I haven't had to do any major updates yet, but the one's I've done so far went perfectly.

I did the install without using a DL DVD, nor a SATA DVD-ROM, in fact the OS wasn't even installed from a DVD at all. I used a spare SATA drive. I had to slightly modify the p35.iso so I could boot using an IDE CD-ROM, otherwise I would just get invalid CD on boot. Once that worked, it still wouldn't boot the actual burnt retail DVD, so I thought why not try boot from a hdd? Using Disk Utility in OSX, I did a 'restore' of the Mac OS X Install DVD.dmg onto my spare SATA drive. I then plugged the drive into the P35, and after the initial Boot: screen, I selected 82 as the boot drive, my sata drive showed up and I hit enter again and voila~ the Apple appeared! The install took about 5 minutes from hdd to hdd, and worked perfectly without even having to take the P35.iso CD out of the drive ;)

Thanks again for the guide, without it and your .zip file there's no way I could've figured out the rest! It was tough enough just getting the thing to boot without a SATA drive!

Since i'm using it as a HTPC/Server, the CD-ROM never gets used again anyway, so I didn't want to have to buy another drive to only use it once..

Adamantium: That's a kinda interesseting way of doing that, really :) I personally love to start from scratch, means, I have the DVD, my SATA DVD-Drive and a blank HDD. I read a lot about installing from one HDD to another and it really seems to be a nice way, but honestly, I don't really understand why people try those ways instead of simply buying a cheap SATA DVD-Drive :D But that's just my personal opinion.

Have you simply copied the DMG via Windows to a NTFS volume? Or what kind of volume do you use, because FAT32 can't store file sizes of a DL-DVD?

I'm currently working/fighting with my ASUS P5Q Deluxe board. First successes are done, I got nearly everything to work, but there's one very annoying thing: the QE thing is supported, but it doesn't work soo well. For example, if you put a QuickTime 1080p Trailer into fullscreen (Apple+L) and back, it stucks. I admit, that's a really odd but little error regarding to compromisses that others accept and also I did in the past when messing around with Kalyway & Co (don't misunderstand this! I love those distris, before I was able to use the real retail on my own). Funny enough - I used the linked here P35 disk to install it onto my P45 chipset board. Maybe this was the issue. I'll retry it today with another P45 based boot-cd and maybe, I've luck and I get it running on the ASUS board. Just one thing: Stay with Gigabyte :P First, I wanted to simply use Vista on this machine and the new board is great for that. Using 3x PCIe x16 the same time (16,8 & 4 lanes) for 2x Graphiccards + 1x Areca RAID controller (x8) was the challange and it does it very well. But when the heart cries for OSX, it's a bad board :P Or maybe there are just bad tutorials out there? Anyway. When I've got it working 100%, I'll add another tutorial for the P5Q Deluxe Retail installation the easy way ;) (like this one for the GA-P35-DS3).

Ciao

Nemo

Thanks CaptainNemo, for your answer.

I agree with you. The best thing for me to do now is to get a new SATA DVD Drive. Do you know if I can get any one, or will there be compatibility issues with drivers or anything like that? Or, as long as its a sata interface, it's fine?

Thanks

Hey Isaac,

whoops! Sorry - completely missed your post :)

No, you don't need to be afraid that a DVD-Drive won't work. Grab any LG, Sony, Samsung... whatever drin. The drivers will be delivered by AHCI, that means, you already have the right drivers in you OSX for that! It's just the interface (SATA vs. IDE/ATAPI) that makes the things a bit complicated :)

Ciao

Nemo

I read a lot about installing from one HDD to another and it really seems to be a nice way, but honestly, I don't really understand why people try those ways instead of simply buying a cheap SATA DVD-Drive :( But that's just my personal opinion.

Have you simply copied the DMG via Windows to a NTFS volume? Or what kind of volume do you use, because FAT32 can't store file sizes of a DL-DVD?

Yeah I agree re the SATA drive, and if I was going to use this computer for much more than just a HTPC I probably would've just brought it, but I didn't want to have to buy a drive to use it just once. And if I hadn't had the macbook pro avaliable it would've been the only solution. To put the .dmg onto the sata drive I plugged it into my MBP via USB and formatted it via Disk Utility, then used the 'Restore' option in Disk Utility to copy the dmg onto it.

GL with your new board! Thanks again for the guide!

Nice tutorial, it's all very clear. I have a DS4 board and wouldn't mind building an ISO for this board aswell. What exactly should I alter to this bootimage?

Hi Aikeleer,

just saw a new tutorial for the EP35-DS4 here. Not sure if you have the P35-DS4 or the EP35-DS4.

Regarding the ASUS P5Q Deluxe challenge

For everyone who looks for an ASUS P5Q Deluxe as base for a Hackintosh - don't go for it if you plan to build a Hackintosh! Go for Gigabyte - I've got it installed with a P45 ISO (boot 132), but even with this installation everything works fine except some really strange stumbles while moving and some bad bad scrolling if you move windows. Not at all, but sometimes and that's pretty annoying. I think I will put the board in my wifes PC and get my GA-P35-DS3 back - really, no other way.

Ciao

Nemo

Thanks for this guide to CaptainNemo

But there is one issue with my EP35-DS3 : after installing the restart-fix with the gigabyte GA-EP35-OSx86-Control Center it won't boot anymore... It hangs up with "Mac Framework sucessfully initialized"...

Or the Restart-fix won't work, but it boots normally up...

I'm wondering about this, because the first 2 installations it worked! But it isn't working yet.... :D

I changed really nothing in the computer! I've reseted the CMOS and selected the right BIOS-entries, but it wont work...

I have also downloaded the package for the Installation a second time... I have burned the CD a second time... I've also checked my Retail-Installation-DVD... But there are no visible issues...

Do i have to set the option with the suspendmode in the BIOS to S1 or S3 ?

I'm using the Rev 2.1... But it worked the first times...

The other hardware:

nVidia 9400 GT 1024 MB Passive

Intel C2D E7400 2,80Ghz

2GB RAM

S-ATA HDD 500GB

Any solutions?

Thanks...

mfg.Felix

P.S.: Sorry for my english ;-)

Hi CaptainNemo,

I just bought a Samsung SATA DVD drive for quite cheap. Question is, do I stick it into the orange or yellow or purple ports? Does it matter which I stick it into since they are all SATA? Also, I seem to be able to write maximum 6x speed, although my dvd is "up to 16x", and my new drive is 22x.

Also, just noticed a setting in BIOS called "Onboard SATA device mode" or something like that, and I can select from "IDE" and "AHCI". Do you know what that is?

Another thing, whilst my audio works, my audio in ports don't seem to work. Know why that is?

Thanks! Apart from that I've got a perfect system running!

Not sure if I did something wrong, but I had a problem with Time Machine selecting the HD to use, I got the error "Time Machine could not be configured. The built-in network interface could not be found". To fix I used the following guide:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1047029

I can say that VMWare Fusion does work, however networking seems to only work in NAT mode, Bridge mode seems to fail - also changing any of the modes causes the network to drop out, I have to unplug and plug back in the ethernet to get it going again.

Hi CaptainNemo,

Thanks for the excellent guide. Currently runnig with 10.5.6 without problem.

Understand that there is an upgrade version of Chameleon 2.0 r431.

Would appreciate if you can advise us on how to upfrade to this new version.

Best still, update guide to include the new Chameleon bootloader.

Thanks and have a nice day.

Working great for EP35-DS4 (F3 BIOS) rev2.1 like Isaac Lim I'm not getting audio to work. I have pretty much he same settup as him just the diff motherboard and video card:

Mobo:EP35-DS4 (rev2.1)

CPU: Q6600 @2.4 (not overclocked yet)

video:nVidia GeForce 8600GT 256MB

update: just fixed the sound, went into system settings and changed sound output from headphones to internal-speakers.

Hi CaptainNemo,

Thanks for the excellent guide. Currently runnig with 10.5.6 without problem.

Understand that there is an upgrade version of Chameleon 2.0 r431.

Would appreciate if you can advise us on how to upfrade to this new version.

Best still, update guide to include the new Chameleon bootloader.

Thanks and have a nice day.

Hi helob,

I've tried the newer version several times, but I couldn't get it to work, so I decided to write/include the older version which is rock-solid and works :D

Any updates are highly recommended - so if it works for you, please let us know and ping me, so that I could include it into the tutorial. I currently can't test it, because I'm still working on the 3GHz Quad-Core / P5Q Deluxe Resolution (just an hour ago I was able to use 2x different GeForce cards for up to 4 displays *yey*).

Ciao

Nemo

Hi helob,

I've tried the newer version several times, but I couldn't get it to work, so I decided to write/include the older version which is rock-solid and works :)

Any updates are highly recommended - so if it works for you, please let us know and ping me, so that I could include it into the tutorial. I currently can't test it, because I'm still working on the 3GHz Quad-Core / P5Q Deluxe Resolution (just an hour ago I was able to use 2x different GeForce cards for up to 4 displays *yey*).

Ciao

Nemo

Hi CaptainNemo,

Thanks for the prompt feed back. I am a novice in this field so I don't know where to start.

If you have some spare times, pls do continue with the newer version on GA-P35-DS3.

Thanks for your time and have a good day.

Hi CaptainNemo,

Thanks for the prompt feed back. I am a novice in this field so I don't know where to start.

If you have some spare times, pls do continue with the newer version on GA-P35-DS3.

Thanks for your time and have a good day.

Hey helob,

what exactly do you want me to do? Don't get it honestly :unsure: Is it just regarding the Chameleon Bootloader? The rest on how to do it is written clearly on the very first post of mine.

captain,

you just said that the p35-ds3 accepted the 45nm quad even with the F12, but with the wrong ID???

It works fine???

because I got a p35-ds3 and a q8200 , and it was f12, refuses to power on...

Hey braid,

indeed. My GA-P35-DS3 Rev. 1.0 works with the Q9650 on F12, but I also mentioned, that I had installed the buggy "BETA" of the 14C installed before. Does it makes sense? Not really if you ask me - but it works. I think that the BIOS Update clears the previous one completly and the information by Gigabyte says that you can JUST install this CPU with F14C. So, also for me, it's kinda confusing.

What I recommend to you: Don't get a CPU for your board that is NOT supported in F12. If you've already done it, maybe the F14C works for you better than for me. Please also notice that I can JUST speak about the "GA-P35-DS3 Rev 1.0", no -R,-P,-4,-S or higher Revisions like 2.0!

A warning about this: You could damage your CPU doing this! So be careful!

If the system simply won't boot with this CPU, it's a clear message that you better stop using it with the currently installed BIOS! :(

Also, I mentioned some sluggy reactions from the OSX when using the CPU in the GA-P35-DS3, but this seems to be more a problem of my GeForce 8600GTS. Using EFI (comfortable made with OSx86 Tools) let me use the system without any more issues.

I also have some news from the ASUS board. I managed to install it meanwhile smoothly. The sluggy part also seems to come from the NVkush. I've just added 2x PCIe x16 cards (the 2nd one is driven as x8 Lanes) which are GeForce 8600GTS + GeForce 7600GS (both passive) to the board and used to install the EFI strings into the boot.com.Apple.plist with OSx86 Tools. The result: A very nice and fast system and I was able to attach 4 TFT screens :D (3x 22" + 1x 19" above the middle 22" display). I think the time is right to write the ASUS P5Q Deluxe tutorial.

Pictures: Both cards running side-by-side

post-92077-1240379831_thumb.png

post-92077-1240379839_thumb.png

The next step is to do this with my 1 card width passive GeForce 8400GS instead of the 7600GS (which takes 3 slots width) to be able to do the next step and put my PCIe x8 ARECA RAID Controller into the 2nd (of 3 PCIe x16) slots and use the full juicy power of my 6TB RAID5 ;) (If I can make it work to boot from)...

Anyway - to newcomers and interested persons, I still recommend to get a Gigabyte board, they are just better supported. I would not call my buy of the ASUS board an "epic fail", but it makes the things a bit more complicated.

Ciao

Nemo