[GUIDE] (10.5.x) Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3 Retail Tutorial

CaptainNemo

225 posts in this topic

Hello Captain!

I have a GA-P35-DS3 rev 2.0, and I'm currently running iAtkos (updated to 10.5.5). I tried to install Leopard retail this weekend using your guide, but it didn't work. When booting, the install DVD dies with "still waiting for root device".

Judging by the comments above, I may be having problems because my DVD drive is IDE. So I'm thinking about replacing it with a SATA DVD. I'll probably also replace my keyboard (PS2) with an USB one.

Do you think that my problem is indeed because of the IDE DVD drive? I'm worried that after replacing my DVD and keyboard I'll still be unable to install Leopard retail, and I really want to: I'm starting to get pissed about all the work I have to do after each apple update.

Thanks a lot!

I love this guide i just used this guide to install on my p45 ud3r and all works great i just had to use a different boot 132 disc for my mb (did not try your so not sure if it works). Other than that i did use your other files an now all works great. Thanks again for the great work and tutorial :P:wacko:

Hi,

I like to share my experience update to 10.5.7

I had a lot of problems and crashed my system. Unfortunately I had no back up.

Started with a fresh install and had no C/E. Solved this with a newer ATI HD2600 kext package.

The one I had before worked only up to 10.5.5

Now I would do some back up. Time Machine does not work. Error Message "Can't find network connection" or similar. I don't understand, because I am using a build in SATA drive and in general the network works fine.

I tried CCC but also no luck. The program freezes at the beginning with " activate permissions on target drive" or similar.

Next issue, auto sleep does not work. Manual sleep and ware up ok.

I used all kext and patches as recommended by CaptainNemo, except the graphic ones.

Can anyone confirm this issues or how is is your experience so far.

thx

Hi,

Started with a fresh install and had no C/E. Solved this with a newer ATI HD2600 kext package.

Now I would do some back up. Time Machine does not work. Error Message "Can't find network connection" or similar. I don't understand, because I am using a build in SATA drive and in general the network works fine.

I tried CCC but also no luck. The program freezes at the beginning with " activate permissions on target drive" or similar.

I used all kext and patches as recommended by CaptainNemo, except the graphic ones.

thx

Hy, i have:

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L 2.0

4GB DDR2 1066 Muskin Extreme

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @3.00GHz

ATI Radeon HD3850 512MB

Western Digital 300GB SATA - Ideneb 10.5.7

Seagate 500GB SATA - Files

Still working normaly after the automatic update from apple software update, but without sound.

I tried to instal the iDeneb Combo Upgrade KIT 10.5.7 ( http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HSI0YY8E ) but still working without sound. i dont know what about select in iDeneb.Tool.rev1.

have someone the same problem?

thanks a lot.

Hi Luca,

why you not use GigabyteP35CC Tool Captain Nemo posted in his first post. Just choose ALC 889a and it should work.

You may also have to select the proper output in system preferences. I had to switch this too.

Does your auto sleep and Time Machine works?

Hello all!

Just coming back to inform that after replacing my IDE DVD with a SATA DVD and my PS2 keyboard with an USB one, the installation went smoothly, exactly like the guide describes.

About the 10.5.7 Update

After checking that everything was working correctly (I used a 10.5.6 Leopard DVD) I updated to 10.5.7 and it also worked perfectly. I got a little scared on the first boot after the update because my computer simply restarted while booting, but the next boot worked. I just had to reinstall the drivers from the GA-P35 tools. The video (I have a nVidia 8600 GT) was already working with QE/CI (no need to run NVKush again) and I also didn't have to install any fix after the update. Sleep, reboot and shutdown are all working.

My previous XBench score (with iAtkos) was 149.19, and now it's 151.39. The disk benchmark was 49.60 before (SATA disk working as IDE) and now it's 55.16 (SATA as AHCI).

Thanks a lot Captain Nemo for a perfect guide!

Hi Luca,

why you not use GigabyteP35CC Tool Captain Nemo posted in his first post. Just choose ALC 889a and it should work.

You may also have to select the proper output in system preferences. I had to switch this too.

Does your auto sleep and Time Machine works?

Hi, I have GA-p35-ds3l.

I can confirm that audio doesn't work in 10.5.7 with GigabyteP35CC Tool. All sounds are gray-out, and no output or input device. I choose ALC888, and it patched my AppleHDA.kext in /System/Library/Extensions.

VoodooHDA was working in 10.5.6, but it failed as well in 10.5.7.

Hello every, I know that this topic is about how to install retail leopard on p35 ds3 or variation.

I hope no one mind but I thought I would post my experience with installing on gigabyte boards to help others out because this guide help me install not only on p35 boards but my p45 as well. :)

I have had several gigabyte boards and here is my experience with them;

First, the p35 ds3l is a great board I have never had any trouble with that board before I gave it to my husband the only thing I did not like is that it only had four sata ports. I still use it to test things out when ever I run into trouble. All distros and retail installs work perfectly usually out of the box or using p35 driver app by pcwiz.

The ep35c ds3r is a corky board that has given me a laundry list of problems just go on the internet or the forum to find out. I was able to perform a retail install once and that was it, don't ask me how. And yes I had the latest bios installed. Even trying to get Kalyway to work was hell until I took the board out (several times) and redid everything then it was able to install all distros. Second of all my gigabyte boards that I have had this one was the corkiest with memory. I had to update my bios to get it to recognize my q8300 correctly.The only way I could get a retail install on this was to take my hard drive and video card and put in my husbands p35 ds3l and install it that way. Then take everything out put it back into ep35c ds3r and finish up. In my opinion do not get this board!! I will say I did not get the orange icon issue with this board or the ds3l.

This board is a raid board so maybe raid boards and not raid board present a difference not sure but would like to find out.

Update I read there is a p35 tool so I have not used it.

Now I have ep45 ud3r and this works great as I posted a couple of days before I used another boot 132 to do the install but I see no reason as to why the one by Captain Nemo should not work. Other than not using his boot 132 I used everything else provided in this forum. I have installed on my external drive and my internal drive both work great. Though i must give credit to this topic as well

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1154731

The only thing is the sound gives trouble but you can go into the community or the internet to get solutions. Orange icons are an issue to but you can Google 10.5.7 and orange icons for solution or get pcwiz orange icon solution.

Hope this will helps someone out as guides like this helped me.

Always give credit where due.

Hey guys,

oh dear! The forum did not kept me updated on new posts, so I checked it a few minutes ago and found a BUNCH of new replies. So - apologize for coming back to you so late :(

God, this is such a noob question I hate to even ask it, but after attempting to run the ISO cd I continue to get the world famous "/com.apple.Boot.plist not found" error which kicks me back into the "Press Enter to Start up Darwin x86 with no options etc".

I've done several kaly and leo4all installs and this is my first retail attempt.. what am I missing?

I AM running the p35-DS3R board, but I know others have made it through with this guide and I can't figure out what's catching me up. I've tried the ACHI setting in bios, on or off, I've reburned the CD several times. Tried different cd-rom drives (SATA and IDE) and tried the generic DS3R ISO with the same result.

Any help help guys? I know this is a real low-level stupid question...

Nemo, you've clearly made an awesome guide and I'd dying to get this thing running through your method!!

Yey! This is normal! I always get this message when I boot the CD, it occurs for a second or so, then it jumps to the boot-menu. Let me explain why. the com.apple.Boot.plist describes where the partition is located and where (and after which delay) the bootloader should start from.

Because the CD does not contain an own OS, it was removed. This is the reason why this shows up. Once you've loaded the bootloader into your memory, you should remove the bootloader CD and replace it with the Leopard DVD. Wait a moment until it's recognized (using my LG DVD-R/W/RAM, it takes up to 30 seconds!). Then, simply press 2x Return key to go on, it should boot from "ef" (which is the HEX code for your primary CD/DVD drive). This works with SATA & USB.

That should be all to be able to boot the installer.

First of all thanks to capain nemo for the fantastic guide.

Installed retail OS X 4 weeks ago followed every single step without any problem. Got every thing to work fine.

After update to 10.5.7 last weekend no Q/E any more and no automatic sleep. Reinstall of ATI kext not solved the problem. Manual sleep and wake up works.

I saw other users of real macs have problems with graphics and sleep as well. My real macs updated with no problems so far.

has any one an idee, what to do next.

Yeah seems like 10.5.7 was not what Apple has expected - I'm happy that my MacBook Unibody works nice even with 10.5.7. Anyway - I can't tell anything about ATI kexts, sorry. I don't even own a ATI card :/ Maybe try to find general ATI solutions with 10.5.7 on this forum.

Thank you Captain! What do you think about DSDT for this board?

DSDT - uhm... I admit, I have heared that, but I would need to get into more details and investigate to understand what you are talking about here :unsure:

Hello Captain!

I have a GA-P35-DS3 rev 2.0, and I'm currently running iAtkos (updated to 10.5.5). I tried to install Leopard retail this weekend using your guide, but it didn't work. When booting, the install DVD dies with "still waiting for root device".

Judging by the comments above, I may be having problems because my DVD drive is IDE. So I'm thinking about replacing it with a SATA DVD. I'll probably also replace my keyboard (PS2) with an USB one.

Do you think that my problem is indeed because of the IDE DVD drive? I'm worried that after replacing my DVD and keyboard I'll still be unable to install Leopard retail, and I really want to: I'm starting to get pissed about all the work I have to do after each apple update.

Thanks a lot!

Yes - that's really the IDE drive issue. I've saw below, that you've resolved your issue by getting a SATA drive :)

PS. Regarding keyboard, I highly recommend to get an Apple Keyboard. I was a bit unsure for myself if it's worth the money, because it looks a bit unfamilar, but if you do coding (like I do), you will love it, because you can type pretty fast on it ;)).

I love this guide i just used this guide to install on my p45 ud3r and all works great i just had to use a different boot 132 disc for my mb (did not try your so not sure if it works). Other than that i did use your other files an now all works great. Thanks again for the great work and tutorial ;);)

Hey tessa,

that's pretty cool! :) Yeah! The magic of this tutorial was easily unhidden: it's just to find the right boot ISO (and thank's to those crazy dudes in this forum we found some :D ) and the correct kext files!

Happy to see that you've got it running!

Hi,

thx

I'll start at the end of this post here:

Sleep & Shutdown is a general painpoint with Hackintoshs (oh dear, believe, I'm still fighting with this issue on my ASUS board). Any recommendations are welcome here. I would love to put and update on the tutorial with a 100% working kext / patch for this.

TimeMachine is a bit rude when it's not 100% Mac Hardware. There's an TimeMachine fix around here in this forum. I also need to find this for myself, because I also wanted to put in a second HDD into my PC to use it as TimeMachine. But a solution is available!

CCC Issue: Try to run the installer, select the HDD in the disc utility and run a "repair permissions". With a bit of luck, this should help and solve the issue.

By the way: Are you able to boot from this cloned drive?

I always found it pretty hard to make a backup on a hackintosh, so I save all my data on my Hardware-RAID5 attached Linux-Server and reinstall the OSX quickly when I need to. (An external drive would do the same job, but I need a lot of space and the RAID5 (Areca) has 6TB of space :P).

Hello all!

Just coming back to inform that after replacing my IDE DVD with a SATA DVD and my PS2 keyboard with an USB one, the installation went smoothly, exactly like the guide describes.

About the 10.5.7 Update

After checking that everything was working correctly (I used a 10.5.6 Leopard DVD) I updated to 10.5.7 and it also worked perfectly. I got a little scared on the first boot after the update because my computer simply restarted while booting, but the next boot worked. I just had to reinstall the drivers from the GA-P35 tools. The video (I have a nVidia 8600 GT) was already working with QE/CI (no need to run NVKush again) and I also didn't have to install any fix after the update. Sleep, reboot and shutdown are all working.

My previous XBench score (with iAtkos) was 149.19, and now it's 151.39. The disk benchmark was 49.60 before (SATA disk working as IDE) and now it's 55.16 (SATA as AHCI).

Thanks a lot Captain Nemo for a perfect guide!

Just a hint on this: BEWARE of NVInject ;) I've played around with it and ran into a lot issues regarding QE/CI. Using NVkush allows me to use both PCIe cards in my newer ASUS board. So - heads up for this.

Cool to have you aboard! Arrrrrrrrrrr! ;)

So final conclusion on all this regarding 10.5.7 - may sound dumb, but maybe it helps: If you've installed a system from scratch - install 10.5.7 FIRST, then give it one (or two, maybe needed) reboots and THEN start installing the kexts. I can't tell it often enough - Apples Updates will KILL some (or all) of your installed kexts, so don't do you work twice ;) Thanks to kextHelper b7 it's so much easier nowadays. When I think about the first Leopard Releases - ouch! That was really hard work :)

Hope I could help some of you with my comments.

Ciao

Nemo

Thank you Captain! What do you think about DSDT for this board?

I'm not Captain_Nemo, but i do use a GA-P35-DS3 Rev. 1.0 with a patched DSDT.aml.

with this DSDT.aml i don't need any EFI strings or injectors to get my NVidida 8800GT running, with patched DSDT.aml i have a timemachine fix and even bonjour works flawlessly without adding/altering any networking related kexts.

I even got rid of the Disabler.kext, so the only kexts i use these days are dsmos.kext, OpenHaltRestart.kext (and don't even know if it's needed at all anymore with my patched DSDT.aml) and legacy kexts for orange hd-icons.

The only binary kext that's needed with 10.5.7 is the HDAenabler.kext and the legacy kexts for ALC889a from tmongkol.

And with 10.5.6 you could even delete the HDAenabler and still have working sound.

All in all, a correctly patched DSDT.aml will make life much easier. Same goes for Chameleon 2 RC1.

I tried to follow this guide to make a retail install. But i'am stuck at the grey apple logo when trying to boot Mac OS X retail install DVD. Any suggestions ?

PS : I use a SATA DVD drive and i made all the correct settings in the BIOS.

EDIT : Just after pop in the Leopard DVD i have some EBIOS read error, with lots of codes and numbers...

I tried to follow this guide to make a retail install. But i'am stuck at the grey apple logo when trying to boot Mac OS X retail install DVD. Any suggestions ?

PS : I use a SATA DVD drive and i made all the correct settings in the BIOS.

EDIT : Just after pop in the Leopard DVD i have some EBIOS read error, with lots of codes and numbers...

Hi Soner,

2 things:

1st: Try to boot with the Verbode Mode Option (type -v after hitting F8 when you start booting from the DVD)

2nd: Maybe your BIOS is not compatible. This EBIOS I had with my ASUS and I needed a patched BIOS for this.

Anyway - could you take a photo of those lines and provide this with us?

Ciao

Nemo

PS. Maybe I made a mistake here - WHEN does those lines appear? You put in the DVD and press Return directly? If your drive is not ready yet, you will get Read Error messages, wait until the drive has fully recognized the DVD before you go on.

Ok i gonna try again.

Mmmmm doesn't work, but this time, something appear very quickly on the screen, something like

Error starting computer

Pause 5 seconds

Oh, and even when waiting the DVD to be fully recognize, i still have those EBIOS errors

Great guide but...

I stucked at "Grey Apple Screen of Death" and give up.

First I have try to use your BIOS setting but that cann't even bring me to the Grey Apple Logo Screen.

This is my final setup:

Leopard 10.5.6 Retail DVD

IDE DVD ROM

80GB SATA Harddisk

PS/2 Keyboard & Mouse

Bios: version F12 (as recommeded from your guide so I downgrade from 14c)

Bios setting:

SATA AHCI Mode = Disabled

SATA PORT0-1 Native Mode = Disabled

USB KEYBOARD = Disabled

USB Mouse = Disabled

Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode = IDE

You have another guide using Kalyway distro. I'll try it out after I get it.

cyberderf:

You mean it's not possible?

I thought the guide here is to guide ppl to install leopard on their GA-P35-DS3 mobo system?

And the overall flow is:

1) Get a boot loader to load the Retail version of Leopard installer

2) Install the OS

3) Install the necessary device drivers

Since i've failed with retail ver, will try out with the Kalyway ver or the snow leopard beta.

Try to boot in verbose mode and end up in infinite "Still waiting for root device" loop.

Before it start boot, I see something like this during the GRUB:

hd(31,1) Mac OS X Install DVD

Is hd(31,1) my DVD Drive?

Maybe is the retail version doesn't work so well with IDE DVD Drive and other version has already overcome this.

Will borrow a SATA/IDE converter and try again.

Will borrow a SATA/IDE converter and try again.

Yes - that's the point. You'll HAVE TO use a SATA or USB drive to install the system. There's nearly no other way. I don't understand why people spend so much money on their hardware and are afraid of spending a few bucks on a SATA DVD-drive :)

Well that's because the system is bought 2-3 years ago and SATA DVD not out yet.

The SATA/IDE converter doesn't work. I'm not sure whether the converter is faulty.

Anyway, I SUCCESSFULLY setup Mac OS X into my harddisk :D

I still have the same hardware, that is IDE DVD. I make use of VMware workstation 6.5.2 and here how's:

1) Must configure the SATA/IDE Ctrl to "IDE" in the Bios. Or else the P35 CD won't boot.

2) Start your windows

3) Create new virtual machine in VMware -

a) Choose Custom Setup

:( Choose "other" as your guest system. You have to edit the .vmx file later.

c) Choose to use physical harddisk. In my scenario, I use a 3rd harddisk for Mac OS X so it is physicaldisk2. You have to becareful on this.

d) Click finish but don't power up this virtual machine yet.

e) In this VM, go to settings and add a USB controller to it.

f) In this USB controller, check the box where you can see all USB device.

g) Open your CD/DVD settings and click on "Advanced" button.

h) Use "SCSI0:1", if it is IDE. Or else your Mac OS X DVD won't boot.

i) Your CD/DVD should be pointing to the drive or ISO with the P35 CD.

j) Now go to the VM folder and use text editor to open your *.vmx file.

k) Edit & Save:

- Change guestos="other" to guestos="darwin" (note: I'm in leopard now so i just recall from memory, but it should be easy to guess which to change)

- Add this line:

paevm="TRUE"

l) I have also edit the harddisk to use scsi0:0 instead of ide0:0 in *.vmx. If you have problem, just replace all ide0:0 u see in *.vmx to scsi0:0

4) Start your VM.

5) Follow exactly the same as Step 4 in Captainemo's guide, that is once you see the boot, replace with the Mac OS DVD.

6) If you have kernel panic or whatever problem, should be the VM DVD or Harddisk setting.

7) Now you should see Language Selection. My USB mouse & keyboard is not functioning in my scenario.

8) Remember the USB Controller stuff added a moment ago? Now you have to connect your USB mouse to the VM and disconnect from Host. That means you have to lost control of your mouse until the VM is shutdown.

9) Follow the Step 5 of Captainemo's guide. I cann't change the name of my disk volume because i cann't do it as my mouse is virtually dead on my windows vista so cannot connect the keyboard to VM.

10) Follow all until Step 6 of Captainemo's guide where you finish the installation and ready to reboot.

Now the magic~~

11) Shutdown your VM and shutdown your whole system.

12) Put P35 CD into your physical IDE DVD and boot from it.

13) When you see the BOOT prompt, press Enter (Return) and, for my case a 3rd harddisk, type "82", so depends on which harddisk you used.

14) Now your OSX should be boot and continue the rest of the installation as the guide.

OK, until now i still have some issues:

1) I cann't have the harddisk boot. When I select to Boot the 3rd harddisk from my bios, i saw it is trying to boot from hd(0,2) but if I put back the P35 CD, boot, select 82, I can see it boot from hd(2,2) then my OSX successfully loaded. Can anyone help me with this?

2) I'm using a ATI X1650 graphic cards. How to get & install the drivers?

Now I can surf the net and listen to music with OSX :(

Well that's because the system is bought 2-3 years ago and SATA DVD not out yet.

The SATA/IDE converter doesn't work. I'm not sure whether the converter is faulty.

Anyway, I SUCCESSFULLY setup Mac OS X into my harddisk :D

I still have the same hardware, that is IDE DVD. I make use of VMware workstation 6.5.2 and here ...............

Bad news.

While I was installing the X1650 kext I end up crashing the OSX and it can't properly boot with P35 CD as well. :P

Then I try to follow my own VM steps to reinstall OSX but encounters the following:

1) The physicaldisk does not point to the desired harddisk, even in Windows' computer manager the order has changed.

2) This time the VM CD/DVD setting must use IDE for OSX to boot in VM.

3) After Language Selection in OSX, the disk utility cannot detect the harddisk so installation cannot move on.

There must be some difference there compare to the installation I successfully done. Will try again tonight.

Hmm too bad :(

It's the best rescue - the Boot CD for me. I was lately having issues with the NVKush and 10.5.7, so I played around with NVInject and finally ended up by putting the "driver" with OSx86 Tools into the boot.apple.com.plist by hand. I got 3 or 4 times a no-more-booting and kernel panicing OS, but the Boot CD allowed me to fix it for some times.

To be honest, Zev23 - it you don't have a SATA port that you can use and want to drive OS X as primary OS, I HIGHLY recommend to by an USB-DVD/ROM/R/RW/RAM. Not even for installation, but there are numerous examples of issues with the JMicron and the Gigabytes IDE port. I (for example) had so much Kernel Panics when using it, so the best and most cleanest way to run a Hackintosh is simply to use SATA or USB drive.

Ciao

Nemo

To be honest, Zev23 - it you don't have a SATA port that you can use and want to drive OS X as primary OS, I HIGHLY recommend to by an USB-DVD/ROM/R/RW/RAM. Not even for installation, but there are numerous examples of issues with the JMicron and the Gigabytes IDE port. I (for example) had so much Kernel Panics when using it, so the best and most cleanest way to run a Hackintosh is simply to use SATA or USB drive.

Ciao

Nemo

OK the VM installation went smoothly again because I forgot to choose "LSI" as the disk controller.

Yah have to agree with you about the trouble on booting OSX as non-primary OS. I have also tried the bsdedit/chain0 method but also cannot dual boot from vista bootloader. My chain0 already has "Chain boot error" in it in the first place.

I was lately having issues with the NVKush and 10.5.7, so I played around with NVInject and finally ended up by putting the "driver" with OSx86 Tools into the boot.apple.com.plist by hand.

Can see a sample of your "boot.apple.com.plist"? The "driver" is the graphic card driver?

Your compiled P35 tools and guide really helps me setting up my first OSx86. I will continue my journey on bootloader and kext stuff.

Cheers :(