[Guide] HP Pavilion dv3540es - 3500 series. Leopard Retail 10.5.8

Ed_Saxman

210 posts in this topic

uninc

Quick question, does everyhthing work pretty much same as Leopard (I followed the top page guide to instal). Thanks!

yes everything else that worked still works. i had to use different different voodoo sound and battery kexts - which still need to be tweaked for the DV3. there is full sound or no sound, no in between and the battery reads perfect but produces a lot of bug issues apparent in darwin booting - it works in both 32 and 64.

i use UHCI reset = Y in chameleon bootloader RC3 to enable USB recognition, or else USB isn't recognized until OSX is fully booted.

im still having troubles with the 9300, but I mean I am a noob. I am just reading a lot of Darwin, and trying kext after kext, mod after mod, hour after hour.

i think it is something very simple, b/c i get a black screen as the OS boots. It is probably an issue in the NVCAP injection or the IOPCIMatch is not written to the right location in the NVDA configurations - don't know....

anyone else?

and did you try this method but instead of the dvd of leopard you put the snow leopard?

Uninc, thanks for replying. I am on the same boat as you. I am still trying. But I would like to share what I have manage do to till now.

Polivio, you can try too. Details are below;

1. I used the the boot DV3500.iso cd & SL MAC OSX Universal DVD (google for it)

2. I boot the same way as the top guide states, but I used the option button just before pressing Install Snow. FYI, I was even able to install updates directly from Apple website.

3. In option, you must select the option that fits your needs. let me explain that; As i am a noob too, I tried many times but I get error screen from boot or it just stuck when loading.

4. Once you install SL, you will be able to boot directly using the darwin the the universal DVD will install, so no need to boot from DV3500 (you will get an error when you try).

5. Out of the box, USB, CD drive and camera work but no audio, no 9300 QE/CI, battery meter and bluetooth.

But I will keep on trying, once I get some thing stable, will definitely post a quick guide for yor folks!

Thanks to each and everyone of you for your contribution.

Uninc, thanks for replying. I am on the same boat as you. I am still trying. But I would like to share what I have manage do to till now.

Polivio, you can try too. Details are below;

1. I used the the boot DV3500.iso cd & SL MAC OSX Universal DVD (google for it)

2. I boot the same way as the top guide states, but I used the option button just before pressing Install Snow. FYI, I was even able to install updates directly from Apple website.

3. In option, you must select the option that fits your needs. let me explain that; As i am a noob too, I tried many times but I get error screen from boot or it just stuck when loading.

4. Once you install SL, you will be able to boot directly using the darwin the the universal DVD will install, so no need to boot from DV3500 (you will get an error when you try).

5. Out of the box, USB, CD drive and camera work but no audio, no 9300 QE/CI, battery meter and bluetooth.

But I will keep on trying, once I get some thing stable, will definitely post a quick guide for yor folks!

Thanks to each and everyone of you for your contribution.

thanks Kennyman, I installed retail using Disk Utility and Restore Image (OSInstall.mpkg). My Btooth worked OOB. I changed my wifi to an HP Broadcom N $40 including shipping - works OOB.

battery works thanks to superhai: http://www.superhai.com/darwin.html

sound works thanks to voodoo team's HDA (use in combo with HDAEnable - I can't adjust volume - it needs to be recompiled - and only one of two sound out works): http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=175372

The only problem is the 9300M GS. Others I have spoken with have no issue with the card on Asus and Acer notebooks. Darwin recognizes it, I can see in verbose, but it isn't used once in OSX64. Booting OSX86 hangs.

Thank you Kennyman and Uninc for your tests. It will help with the next guide I´m planning to install Snow Leopard RETAIL on our machines.

Actually I don´t have the time, but it´s possible that in a few weeks (or months in the worst case) I will publish a first-approach guide.

I have Snow Retail already installed on my desktop machine and it´s being a very very satisfying experience, working better than ever, and now I´ve learned how to create an EFI string for Nvidia cards (tested with my new Gigabyte Nvidia GTX260+ OC 216sp) so I hope all can be smooth and easy!!! ;)

Thank you Kennyman and Uninc for your tests. It will help with the next guide I�m planning to install Snow Leopard RETAIL on our machines.

Actually I don�t have the time, but it�s possible that in a few weeks (or months in the worst case) I will publish a first-approach guide.

I have Snow Retail already installed on my desktop machine and it�s being a very very satisfying experience, working better than ever, and now I�ve learned how to create an EFI string for Nvidia cards (tested with my new Gigabyte Nvidia GTX260+ OC 216sp) so I hope all can be smooth and easy!!! ^_^

Finally, gettin a chance to chat with you Ed Saxman Bcn!! :(

Yes, please please please post a similar guide for Sl if you have time. I have been fighting with the SL DVD for almost three weeks now. But since I don`t really understand EFI, smlist etc.....I am stuck but making my way slowly to understand it. Let me know if you need any help to test your guide, will be glad to give a hand.

BTW, I have a question. Let me start by explaining my situation, I had a 160 GB HDD previously with MAC OS X only. I just upgraded my HDD to a 320 one. I installed OSX using your easy guide, but for some reason after installing WIN 7 and changing partition to make OSX active, my Chamaleon screen disapeared. I am not sure what went wrong. I have re-installed OSX at least 5 times now and doing the changing partition thing but still no luck. ;)

I have WIN 7 DVD x32, also my HDD has three partition to begin with MAC, WIN, HDD respectively. I used GPU method from your guide. My HDD gets two more partition when I complete the installation of OSX and WIN. Meaning I get two additional 100-200 MB partitions which I have no idea why this get created....I used an external Sata cable and view my HDD on my desktop using ACRONIS Disk Management Software (same as Disk management of Windows)

Any guide/tip/link to a user friendly words that I can use to see Chameleon back on my screen with WIN & MAC icons? Please a little help will be very well appreciated. :help:

Thanks in advance! :)

kennyman, in your extra/apple.com.boot.plist (show package contents)

http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php?topic=711.0

GUI=YES

Uninc,

Sorry, I don`t get it. Can you please spare some time and elaborate on this? I click on the link you sent me but it looks like these are the setting to disable GUI on Chameleon. I may be wrong thou. All I want to do is just to be able to boot from Chameleon and select OSX or Win 7. But even if I install Win 7/OSX first, it seems that it destroy or damage the Chameleon boot loader. Why can`t WIN & MAC get along together? Is it because of MBR and GPT (GUI Partition)?

Please enlighten me?

Thx

MF - ive been wasting my life trying to get the 9300M recognized and it was the most obvious blatant thing.

i thought a device properties key could be left in the boot.plist without any string and it would not attempt to load. WRONG. all one must do to enable full acceleration is remove <key>device-properties</key> from plist. make sure of GraphicsEnabler=y

add using PlistEditPro app

these DevIDs to nvdaresman and NVdanv50hal :

0x06e010de&0xfff0fff 0x06e910de&0xfff0ffff 0x06e910de&0x0000ffff

aty_init.kext also works nicely in x86 with those IDs added.

I have the entire nVidia OSX drivers installed, i don't know if they are making any difference. I doubt it.

I somehow lost my bluetooth and 2 of 3 USB ports. so i am doing a fresh install and hopefully those will be back.

ill make a list or package of kexts that i am using when things are up and running solid. tweaks need to be made to voodooHDA and PS2 - i don't even nowhere to begin. maybe someone a little more learned can help with that.

MF - ive been wasting my life trying to get the 9300M recognized and it was the most obvious blatant thing.

i thought a device properties key could be left in the boot.plist without any string and it would not attempt to load. WRONG. all one must do to enable full acceleration is remove <key>device-properties</key> from plist. make sure of GraphicsEnabler=y

add using PlistEditPro app

these DevIDs to nvdaresman and NVdanv50hal :

0x06e010de&0xfff0fff 0x06e910de&0xfff0ffff 0x06e910de&0x0000ffff

aty_init.kext also works nicely in x86 with those IDs added.

I have the entire nVidia OSX drivers installed, i don't know if they are making any difference. I doubt it.

I somehow lost my bluetooth and 2 of 3 USB ports. so i am doing a fresh install and hopefully those will be back.

ill make a list or package of kexts that i am using when things are up and running solid. tweaks need to be made to voodooHDA and PS2 - i don't even nowhere to begin. maybe someone a little more learned can help with that.

hey man wich guide did you use for installing snow in hp dv 3500 i cant install it :( :(

hey man wich guide did you use for installing snow in hp dv 3500 i cant install it :thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim:

first follow:

http://www.infinitemac.com/f57/how-to-inst...-on-a-pc-t3137/

do not install appledecrypt or dsmos, ust use fakesmc v2.

it's the most common method. he also made a youtube how to. thanks to him.

then from still within leo:

remember to install chameleon rc3 658 to snow drive and then delete the "boot" file from leo / . this will change the active partition.

in boot.plist of snow drive /Extra:

graphicsenabler=y

forcewake=y

i had issues getting all three USB ports to work at first so i recompiled and edited a dsdt. whatever i did (i just followed instructions from elsewhere) my usb ports now work. if you have the same issues with yours you can use mine. esata works. hdmi works (i dont know about hdmi sound, im not sure that hdmi sound is supported in osx yet - ask nvidia). here is the dsdt if you want. put it in / of snow drive.

then after booting into snow (make sure you have a usb mouse & keyboard handy):

for sound, google for "voodooHDA 64 pref pane snow leopard" & "voodooPS2controller 64 pref pane" & "voodoo battery 64 superhai". install using kext helper. pref panes dont work for us, the kexts need tweaking for the dv3000 - it will happen one day, whatevs. thanks to voodoo teams and superhai. install voodooPS2 in conjuction with AppleAcpiPS2Nub.kext

and reboot, you should have a nice snappy snow leopard.

still no sleep. boourns.

file.zip

Thanks for the guide uninc i got snow leopard installed following it i just have one problem video is not working properly. when you said boot.plist did you need com.apple.boot.plist because i added:

<key>graphicsenabler</key>

<string>y</string>

<key>forcewake</key>

<string>y</string>

and graphics are still not working. thanks for your help once graphics are working snow leopard will replace leopard ;)

Thanks for the guide uninc i got snow leopard installed following it i just have one problem video is not working properly. when you said boot.plist did you need com.apple.boot.plist because i added:

<key>graphicsenabler</key>

<string>y</string>

<key>forcewake</key>

<string>y</string>

and graphics are still not working. thanks for your help once graphics are working snow leopard will replace leopard :wacko:

i had this issue drive me insane for a week. make sure you remove "<key>device-properties</key>" and its string from boot.plist. this key takes precedence over GraphicsEnabler - capitalization matters.

this is what my boot.plist looks like:

<key>EHCIacquire</key>

<string>y</string>

<key>ForceWake</key>

<string>y</string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1280x800x32</string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>y</string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>None</string>

<key>UHCIreset</key>

<string>y</string>

Yea i realized i didn't capitalize some letters and redid it and it worked forgot to come revise my post thou lol. everything seems to be working. The mouse moves pretty fast but i can deal with that thanks for the help again.

i like the fast mouse given the sticky alps touchpad

SL NEWS UPDATE: Hardware Monitor recognizes the 9300M GS and displays it's percentage of use - a very nice feature!

Anyone have ideas on how to port the working HP Webcam kexts from leo to snow? Where are they?-so I can try.

4 out 5 logins will give me a black screen when trying to use the cam in SL. I know this is a common problem for laptop webcams. It has something to due with resolution of apple cams being commonly higher than those of pcs, and therefore the camera is initiated but fails to display b/c it can't display the higher res.

UPDATE: It seems to work 4/5 boots now...

The ISO LINK is dead, doesn't work :(

BootCD RELOADED!

Final version 3.0 is 19/8/09.

News:

- New Script used to install Chameleon 2 manually because the installer does unwanted things that complicate everything.

- NVenabler instead EVGA285 + NVinstaller

- NVenabler has also been added to BootCD, so we will see the installation and the wellcome video in 1280x800.

- No more problems dragging windows the first time you boot the system. QE/CI Everytime!

- Smaller ZIP file size of the BootCD (currently only 25MB)

- Guide and Installation process simplified.

And a final addon:

SimpleInstaller.png

Now Included in the BootCD! With all this stuff I hope that everything will be easier!

hi everyone,

I have been able to finally install SL on my system, I used a usb key to do it, but I'm having a issue with booting without my usb key plugged in. I cannot run OSX SL without it.

Anyone have any ideas?

I am using Chamelon 2.0 RC3, even installed it on the hard drive I installed it on even with luck.

hi everyone,

I have been able to finally install SL on my system, I used a usb key to do it, but I'm having a issue with booting without my usb key plugged in. I cannot run OSX SL without it.

Anyone have any ideas?

I am using Chamelon 2.0 RC3, even installed it on the hard drive I installed it on even with luck.

Zeroburn,

Pls try another boot loader, link is below;

BootThink 2.3.18_Mac (http://rapidshare.de/files/48363962/BootTh...18_Mac.zip.html)

BootThink 2.3.18_Win (http://rapidshare.de/files/48363964/BootTh...18_Win.rar.html)

Good Luck!

Thanx for all Your great tools provided,but now I'd really need some help, to know what kid of Kexts to load!!! :P

Facts:

Install 10.5.6 retail.

OK,I have managed to connect with inbuilt, Wifi Broadcom 4322 in my new HP DV32150us, 2,2 gig dual core ,4gig Ram, 500 Gb HD,

after 3 days of not having a working system less then a linux boot CD! :wacko:

I can only boot in v-Mode, with the BOOT DFE-146-BUM disc,

and I get the error: applePS2driver not loaded, and after also the PS2 driver for trachkpad!,

so when I boot with out v mode, trackpad and keys don't work,

Sound worked before running the Chameleon2 Installer,...

The Video isn't set able to the right resolution, only 1024X768 is available, and all out of proportion;

realtek RTL8102 Efamily LAn card is not working,

otherwise the comp works really fast. :D

Please some hint!

Thanx for all Your great tools provided,but now I'd really need some help, to know what kid of Kexts to load!!! :)

Facts:

Install 10.5.6 retail.

OK,I have managed to connect with inbuilt, Wifi Broadcom 4322 in my new HP DV32150us, 2,2 gig dual core ,4gig Ram, 500 Gb HD,

after 3 days of not having a working system less then a linux boot CD! :D

I can only boot in v-Mode, with the BOOT DFE-146-BUM disc,

and I get the error: applePS2driver not loaded, and after also the PS2 driver for trachkpad!,

so when I boot with out v mode, trackpad and keys don't work,

Sound worked before running the Chameleon2 Installer,...

The Video isn't set able to the right resolution, only 1024X768 is available, and all out of proportion;

realtek RTL8102 Efamily LAn card is not working,

otherwise the comp works really fast. ;)

Please some hint!

the dv3 - 2150's gpu, the ATI 3200, is not supported - sorry. Everything sound should work using iPC distro, even your screen dimmer if i'm not mistaken - something the dv3000 series doesn't have. For sound use voodooHDA with HDAenable kext.

However, I don't recommend OSX for your laptop. As graphics are not supported your experience with Mac applications will be severely limited.

Sorry.