[Guide] HP Pavilion dv3540es - 3500 series. Leopard Retail 10.5.8

Ed_Saxman

210 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

first of all I want to say sorry for my bad english! Now, let's talk about my ( giant ) problem. I've installed ( or tried ) Snow Leopard - SnowOSX Installer 3.5 - on my notebook dv3550el ( please, see the attachement below for hardware specifics ) but I have some problems that make my system incomplete/not working.

- Bootloader: Chameleon 2 ( every version ) doesn't work for me. Everytime I try to install, by .pkg or by script, the installation fails! Ovviosly, at reboot, my system goes in kernel panic. The only bootloader that works for me is Chameleon v1.0.11( or .12 ), that was the bootloader I used in my previsious Leopard ( fully working ) installation. I've tried also other bootloader, but nothing. I thought the cause of his bad functions was due to bootloader included in SnowOSX Install; so I have uncheck it during installation, I have installed Chameleon 2 rc3, but no success! Neither Boot Think fix my problems ( and it doesn't recognize NTFS System ). The reason that suggest me to install this type of bootloader is that my USB doesn't works ( classic: UHCI/EHCI : unable to initialize UIM ); in my previsious installation of Leo I've solved the problem by the installation of MOBO's kext ( ICHxFix ), but now, also in x32 mode, this kext doesn't works! So I decided to patch my DSDT ( please, see it below, in attachement ); it works the first time I reboot the system, but after second reboot I have the same problem again

- x64 mode: in this mode, the system doesn't recognize Wireless Adapter ( Atheros 5006eg ); maybe this is caused by the fact that I haven't rights kexts.

Can someone help me? tnx in advance!

Report.zip

dsdt.zip

the dv3 - 2150's gpu, the ATI 3200, is not supported - sorry. Everything sound should work using iPC distro, even your screen dimmer if i'm not mistaken - something the dv3000 series doesn't have. For sound use voodooHDA with HDAenable kext.

However, I don't recommend OSX for your laptop. As graphics are not supported your experience with Mac applications will be severely limited.

Sorry.

Hi Uninc, as I know my graphic card is the Intel GMA 4500MHD graphics, and as i found in the forum there might be work arounds getting it work,

please correct me if i'm wrong. or is the chip on the 4500 the ATI 3200? sorry I'm quite new in this hardware jungle as I'm a former Mac user, and I got this Laptop thinking OSX install is easyliy possible, as I thought it is a DV 3!

Please let me know the background infos

Thanx S

Hi Uninc, as I know my graphic card is the Intel GMA 4500MHD graphics, and as i found in the forum there might be work arounds getting it work,

please correct me if i'm wrong. or is the chip on the 4500 the ATI 3200? sorry I'm quite new in this hardware jungle as I'm a former Mac user, and I got this Laptop thinking OSX install is easyliy possible, as I thought it is a DV 3!

Please let me know the background infos

Thanx S

oh sorry those are different gpus. i got the model wrong. the 4500 doesn't provide graphic acceleration but proper resolution. maybe seek help in this thread:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1328703

yhea.. i have installed accourding to the guid (twice) but i can boot without your boodCD.

i keep getting the i have to restart my laptop (with your CD OS boots fine.

what i'm doing worg??

please help me if you can.

thanks

• 4 weeks later...

I am having issues with the USB HP camera, the USB & USB/eSATA combo ports on the left side of the DV3510NR in SL.

Is anyone else having this issue:

The cam and USB ports only function 1/5 boots or so.

darwin reads out:

UHCI ... unable to initialize UIM (x3)

UPDATE: Issue solved installing new ICHx Fix found posted by DuNe (thanks!)

here (universal 32/64 kext): http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=88335

Download Here http://redirectingat.com/?id=292X457&u...F%3Fymwmhlkwhmm

UPDATE:

:D Everything works just as in 10.5. No need for Butler :D

:D Boot after BIOS = 50seconds. Shutdown = 3seconds. :D

:) Not Working = Sleep. Infrared. Fingerprint. Screen Dimmer. <_<

• 2 weeks later...

Just want you to know that I'm a new user, and I have succeeded in installing Leopard in my DV3510NR. I had a little trouble at first, as I was trying to install with a Restoration DVD that came with my wife's Macbook.

Wireless didn't work with the Intel card, but luckily I have another laptop (DV2125NR) with a Broadcom card, switch those and BOOM, Airport automatically recognized it.

You can count on me to be a tester on future releases.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hey all,

I've used this guide to successfully install osx86 onto my dv3510nr.

Couple issues:

My wireless adapter is turned on maybe 1 out of every 5 boots. Otherwise, system preferences says the airport is off and doesn't respond to the 'turn on' button.

The second issue is my usb wireless mouse. Maybe 2 of every 5 boots it will work properly. Otherwise it will not work at all or be jumpy (moving every 2nd second.)

I did install that universal kext for the ICH issue, hasn't seemed to alleviate these issues. Any help is appreciated.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

HP Pavilion dv3540es 13,3"

Also tested and working on dv3510nr, dv3550eo, dv3550el and more

Edicion en castellano AQUI

Leopard 10.5.8 Retail

GUIDE

(24-8-2009)

Reloaded

HP370x277.png

HP Pavilion dv3540es 13,3"

** What´s New in v3.0:**

PATCHED DSDT based on Kingnoob v15 BIOS

(No more disabler)

- Graphic drivers update!

(Now using NVenabler)

- Native power management

- Native SpeedStep

- EFI String for Time Machine

- ALPS Trackpad - 2 finger scrolling support + Tap + pref pane

- Media keys working! - (Mute, Volume, Play, rewind and forward)

- Chameleon 2 RC2 bootloader

- Airport full support

- New Battery manager

And my all new...

logo.png

Features:

-Made with Chameleon V2

- Custom taylored for HP DV3 series!

-Drivers Pack 3.0 are included!

-Custom theme

-Provides keyb + ALPS touchpad support during installation

-Provides QE/CI during installation

-Provides sound during installation

-Single ISO image file

-Kingnoob v15 BIOS w. installer included (for windows)

Now with...

SimpleInstaller1.0 !!!

SimpleInstaller.png

Changes Log:

BIOS hacked!! No more whitelist.

So now you can replace Intel 5100 WIFI with any miniPCI-E Airport compatible.

THANKS TO KINGNOOB

Look at point 10 for more info.

2.4b

Only cosmetic changes:

THIS pretty laptop skin from Schtickers.com

kin.png

Keyboard replaced by this one (Led backlight)

teclpng.png

-Battery meter driver added

-Speedstep working

-New drivers for sound. Now, internal stereo mic is working.

Shutdown fixed

- Tested and corrected.

- Drivers pack 2.0

- keyboard & touchpad driver Updated.

- Fixed. Problem of losing keyboard and mouse after upgrade to 10.5.6

- Updated SMBIOS EFI (now using MacBook Air´s one)

- UInstaller included.

WORKS

WIFI (if you flash kingnoob´s BIOS and get an airport compatible wifi card)

Keyboard and touchpad, touch controls (volume, mute)

Sound, both internal & output minijack

Internal stereo mic & input minijack

QE/CI (Graphics Acceleration)

Bluetooth

Ethernet

Cam

USB

Chipset recognized

Restart

Shutdown

Card reader

Intel Speedstep

Battery management

Screen goes dark when you close the laptop (good to hear music)

HDMI out (Extended desktop video, but no sound thru clable yet)

NOT WORKS

Wake from Sleep* (Sleep works, but can´t wake)

Intel Wifi 5100 AGN Wifilink (but now you can replace it)

Validity Fingerprint Reader

Bright controls

InfraRed receiver

STILL TESTING

eSATA port: not tested yet with v3.0

*Wake from sleep working in ONE of my testing partitions

(dont know why)

Osx86Tools info:

00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Memory Controller Hub [8086:2a40] (rev 07)

00:01.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset PCI Express Graphics Port [8086:2a41] (rev 07)

00:1a.0 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 [8086:2937] (rev 03)

00:1a.1 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5 [8086:2938] (rev 03)

00:1a.7 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 [8086:293c] (rev 03)

00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller [8086:293e] (rev 03)

00:1c.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 1 [8086:2940] (rev 03)

00:1c.1 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 2 [8086:2942] (rev 03)

00:1c.5 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 6 [8086:294a] (rev 03)

00:1d.0 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 [8086:2934] (rev 03)

00:1d.1 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 [8086:2935] (rev 03)

00:1d.2 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 [8086:2936] (rev 03)

00:1d.3 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #6 [8086:2939] (rev 03)

00:1d.7 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 [8086:293a] (rev 03)

00:1e.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge [8086:2448] (rev 93)

00:1f.0 ISA bridge [0601]: Intel Corporation ICH9M LPC Interface Controller [8086:2919] (rev 03)

00:1f.2 SATA controller [0106]: Intel Corporation ICH9M/M-E SATA AHCI Controller [8086:2929] (rev 03)

00:1f.3 SMBus [0c05]: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) SMBus Controller [8086:2930] (rev 03)

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation GeForce 9300M GS [10de:06e9] (rev a1)

02:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller [10ec:8168] (rev 02)

03:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Intel Corporation Unknown device [8086:4237]

STEP BY STEP GUIDE 3.0

(11-8-2009)

(Looking for Testers)

1- WHAT YOU NEED:

(24-8-2009) Reloaded

- My new >> DV3 BootCD with 3.0 Drivers Pack and SimpleInstaller included << Just burn this to CD.

It´s an ISO image, so you can use osx or windows to burn your BootCD. You can even mount it in windows with daemontools to view contents.

- OS X Leopard retail, any version from 10.5.0.

- Download 10.5.8 combo update . Move it in your pendrive or external device being used or download it with OS X already installed. Of course you can also use software update utility, but combo installer it's recommended.

-[ABOUT WIFI] Now you can use KINGNOOB v15 BIOS to avoid the whitelist (This allow WIFI card replacement). This pack includes installer for win7/vista. Take a look at the last point of this guide to find more info about this.

2 - LOADING RETAIL DVD:

Turn on your laptop, and press F10

Go into the bios and change the boot order, setting the DVD on the first place.

Put on your dvd drive the DV3 CdBoot you've previously recorded on cd.

You'll see Darwin starts to load. . When it appears, you'll see "Would you like to enable media rescan option?"

Press Enter.

Press F8 when a green bar appears, and quicky press the eject button of your drive.

Insert your retail DVD and wait about 30-40 secs until the light of your drive is off and press Escape to reload.

When "Mac OS X Install DVD" appears, press enter.

If you dont wait long enough to read the DVD before pressing Enter, you'll see some error messages. It is not important, are simply attempts to read, but they are ugly to see. Much better if you wait till the DVD stops by itself.

Darwin starts to load and displays a smiling green apple: bootimage24.png I´ve used this distinctive icon on my new DV3BootCD to avoid any mistake with the Chameleon boot, which installs on the hard disk.

Behind this screen, some strange things are happening.

3 - FORMATTING:

After a minute or two, you'll see the language selection screen of Mac OS X.

Choose your desired language, and click the blue arrow below.

You'll see the Welcome screen.

Run the Hard Disk Utility located on the top.

Select the whole hard disk, the first icon on the left (not the partitions, whole HD) and click on the tab "Partitions".

In the dropdown "Volume Scheme", select the number of partitions that you want, and click Options (bottom). Select the first option: "GUID Partition Table" and click OK.

Resize the partitions if you want, and choose a nice name, preferably without spaces to the main partition (Something like OSX or LEOPARD).

As format: select MAC OS Extended (Journaled) on each partition.

Click Apply.

(Optional) Triple boot: If you´re planning to install Windows 7 and/or Ubuntu 9, create at least 3 partitions:

(This is my initial config, as an example)

1- Leopard (HFS+) 60GB

2- Windows7 (FAT) 60GB

3- Ubuntu9 (FAT) 30GB

4- LinuxSwap (FAT) 4GB

5- Vault (FAT) +100GB

6- OSX Test & Backup (HFS+) 20GB

Later you can format the partitions in the specific format for each operating system.

From this moment, our HD is ready for OS X. We left the old MBR partition table for a newer GPT.

4 - INSTALLING:

Close the Disk Utility and return to the Welcome screen. Click "continue."

We will see the Apple´s EULA, and we´re agree.

We came to the screen, "select a target disk". Select your first partition, and click on Continue.

On last screen, You can click "customize" and remove things you dont need (languages, fonts, printer drivers, etc), but leave checked the x11 thing, it´s useful and many software takes use of it.

Click on Install.

Now relax, and watch the blue progress bar. When completed, it will prompt a kind of error and says that it will reboot your computer. But don´t worry and click Reboot.

When you see the HP logo, press the power off button of your laptop.

Turn it on again, and quickly press the eject button on the DVD.

Remove the retail OS X DVD, and re-enter the CDBoot. If you don´t have enought time, turn off and try again, but do it.

How to boot from HD with the DV3 CDboot:

When it ask: Would you like to enable media rescan option?

Press any key (but not the Enter key).

Press F8 then green bar appears.

Select your partition with cursor keys if needed, and press enter.

5 - FIRST START:

OS X still can´t boot from the HD, so we had to return to cdBoot.

At this moment you should be watching the video of the introduction of Leopard, with its music, (now in your native res with the new DV3 BootCD), its galaxies and all that stuff. Then a blue screen, colorful cursor ... and you´re inside.

Start with the account setup wizard . Just Follow the steps, take your first photo, and you will see the desktop for the first time.

OS X will recognize the network or WIFI (if compatible) card automatically on this machine, from the beginning. If you have the ethernet cable plugged in, simply type a static IP for your pc and the gateway (the address of your router)

When you arrive at the desk, keep in mind that Leopard is now running on a basic VGA mode, and without drivers. Keep in mind that now is when the windows start to do weird stuff if you drag. Just try not to do so. If the windows smears, just click on the desktop or another window to restore. If it´s a finder´s window, use the Back and Forward buttons (arrows) or change to other directory to restore or minimize the window.

(Now you get QE/CI all the time, with DV3 BootCD)

6 - UPDATING TO 10.5.8

-Now install the official 10.5.8 combo update that you downloaded and saved on your pendrive previously, or If you have Internet connection, download it from Apple now.

After installation, repeat the same from point 4. (boot with DV3 BootCD).

It will reboot 2 times.

7- INSTALLING DRIVERS:

Note: This part of my tutorial is still a testing area, and it will be in constant restructuring, possibly changing some of the drivers employed. Check from time to time this part of the tutorial to find out if there have been changes or additions.

- Open your DV3 BootCD.

- Open "HP DV3500 3.0" folder:

carpeta.png

------- Run "HP DV3500.mpkg" and you will see ... "SimpleInstaller 1.0" !! ----.

SimpleInstaller.png

SimpleInstaller 1.0 will help us to install everything we need, making all even easier.

SimpleInstaller just copy some files to 3 locations of your HD:

/Extra - It will copy the folder "Extra" to the root of your HD. This folder contains most of the Kext we need, including Nvidia 9300, internal keyboard and touchpad, etc.

/Library/PreferencePanes - Here it will copy "Shades" (application to control the brightness) and overwrites the original trackpad.prefPane by a new one, that will work with our trackpad (2 finger scrolling, tap, vertical scrolling, etc.. . )

/Applications - Two apps (Kext Utility 2.0 and Hardware Monitor) and the folder "DV3500" , which contains the rest of Kext to use.

---- Now let's do our part: -------

Go to your Applications folder and open the folder "DV3500".

1 - Installing Chameleon 2 RC2. (You have 2 options to do so)

OPTION A: (Using Chameleon 2 installer)

- First of all, rename your folder "Extra" that is at the root of your main partition, or move it to the desktop.

- Go to your Applications folder and open the folder "dv3500".

- Open the folder "Chameleon-2-RC2-R640 Installer" and run the file inside. Install it to your main partition.

- When finished, delete the folder "Extra" that Chameleon has created, and replace it with yours.

Dont reboot yet, and go to Step 2.

OPTION B: (Manual Installation with Scripts )

In your folder "DV3500" you can found "Chameleon2 RC2 R640 bin". It contains Chameleon´s binary files, and we will install through a simple script that I've written, to make it easier.

- Click on Spotlight and type "terminal".

- Now type or copy these commands:

cd /Applications/DV3500/Chameleon-2-RC2-Bin/i386
 sh Chameleon2Script.sh

- The script will make us 2 questions: "Would you like to install Chameleon on disk0s2 partition?" (the partition of OS X), then "would you like to flag it as active?". Answer "Y" to both questions, and we have Chameleon2 already installed.

2 - Go to your folder "DV3500" and open the folder "Intel IDT Audio".

- Run the KextHelper. Drag the files "AppleHDA, HDA Enabler and IOUSBfamily " to the top window of Kexthelper.

- Enter your administrator password and click "Easy Install". Then close Kexthelper but don´t reboot yet.

3 - Go to folder "DV3500" and open the folder "Media Keys Enabler".

- Double click on the "Configuration" file inside. The app will open for 5 second and then will close.

- Reopen the same file, and then it will ask " you want to add your prefs?". Click "Insert"

- Click the button "preferences" and check the option "launch butler on log in".

- Uncheck "Display splash Screen" and Close it by now.

4 - (optional) Go to "Applications" and run "Hardware Monitor".

- When it ask for "install drivers for Intel extended support?" and so on, say yes to everything.

- When finished, right click the icon in the dock, and close it.

5 - Back to "applications" and run the "Kext Utility 2.0". It may take a while to finish. Meanwhile, Unmount your CD.

--- Reboot now WITHOUT your BootCD -----------

You should be watching now the standard Chameleon´s silver apple: bootchml224.png

(If you´re still seeing the smiling green one, eject your bootCD)

8 - FINAL FIXES

1- Go to "System preferences" and..

- Open "Energysaver", click "show details" and set Sleep to "never" for both AC and battery. We do this until we have a definitive solution to the wake from Sleep.

- Open the new panel "Trackpad" and activate the "clicking". Set "scrolling speed" to the minimum, and uncheck "horizontal scrolling. "

- Open "displays" tab and click "color". Click the "Calibrate" button, and when you get to "white point" option set "PC monitor."

- Click "Share" Here you can put the name of your PC.

- Open "Shades" and set your preferences.

2 - Click on the apple menu, "dock", and turn magnification on.

3 - Set expose and spaces to your liking.

Enjoy your OS X Leopard!!!

********************************************************************************

-Sources and info about 3.0 drivers pack: Section not ready yet.

- WIFI & Final Thoughts: Kingnoob its the user who probably wrote the best first post ever (at least for a few of us).

Now is possible to replace the WiFi card that comes with our laptop, the Intel 5100, (for which there are no drivers for OSX) with any Airport compatible card.

The installer included in the ZIP attachment is from the original HP Website. (intended for Vista/windows 7 32bits) and includes the Kingnoob BIOS (.FD extension) It is based on the F15 official firmware.

I bought my card here: Justopeshop. They are English Ebay powersellers but I think they can deliver worldwide.

I can highly recommend: Dell DW1390 or Dell DW1490.

Other alternatives are: An compatible external USB wifi (I was using the conceptronic C54RU , with this drivers.) or an Expresscard (that goes into the side of the laptop where the remote is stored) like the Dell DW1390 (reported by esoterikest)

- Our fingerprint reader is this one. The bad news are that Validity fingerprints seems not to have osx support yet... I've also tried with Upek software but doesn't work.

- Now we need help about wake from sleep and brightness controls.

An Ed_Saxman guide (Ed_Saxman_BCN)

Post your results!

V3 Tested on:

Ed_Saxman_BCN - dv3540es

flopp99 - dv3550eo

Angel Abad - dv3550es

jaqscm - dv3550es

sigterm - DV5-1165ep

V2 Tested on:

Ed_Saxman_BCN - dv3540es

Karlankas - dv3540es

53ph1207h - dv3510nr

superfluke - dv3510

liddan - dv3550eo

SnoopKatt- dv3510nr

Angel Abad- dv3550es

Genius128 - dv3550es

AngeleToR - dv3540es

Janri - dv3540es

esoterikest - dv3510nr

JohnEisenheim - dv3550el

Kingnoob - dv3510nr

Also tested on different machines:

tGill - HP dv2817ca (works)

xyf - asia/pacific HP DV3000 (No wifi (4965 card), shutdown/restart issue...)

mellors35 - HP G70-120EA (no sound but Atheros Wireless card works)

sasj15 - HP dv4-1030ee (problems with usb devices, cam doesnt work ootb)

Attachment (same as above):

>> DV3 BootCD with 3.0 Drivers Pack and SimpleInstaller included <<

Kingnoob v15 BIOS to avoid whitelist (allows WIFI replacement)

OLD Galaxy BootCD

OLD 2.4 Drivers pack for HP dv3540es | Mirror1

Edicion en castellano AQUI

Brilliant Guide... Worked for DV3500ez, only difference is I had to boot with Grub DFE disk.

Could you please make one tutorial for Snow Leopard, I have tried many available on internet but all have some issues.. none is close to perfection for my model DV3500ez.

Thanks a lot and we will be waiting for your great tutorial for Snow Leopard.. using Leopard 10.5.8 till then...

LCD Brightness Hope

i was directed to this thread by a friendly user:

http://myhpmini.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1542

i tried the modification, but it didn't work. however, i am using 10.6 and the mod is for 10.5

maybe someone can try it for 10.5 or have insight into what needs to be changed in the hex; the dv3xxx "apple...framebuffer.txt" is much different than the one in the link, but the mods are very relative.

• 3 weeks later...
Greetings guys:

Hope youre all well.

Any success for our dv3000 on:

1-Wake from sleep?

2-Snow leopard?

SL runs just as functional as Leo, everything but sleep and backlight dimming. no use for butler app, volume buttons work great.

Retail Install is straight forward, from Leo install into a new partition or drive from SLDVD>System>Installation>OSInstall.mpkg

Do not reboot!!

reinstall chameleon 2 RC3 & use GraphicsEnabler (RC4 does not work for my laptop dunno why)

add standard required drivers to S/L/E (SMC UUID etc...any install method mentions them)

if you keep Leo, make sure the old /Extensions are moved to /E/E/10.5

add drivers to E/E/[(10.6)if dual booting] (*10.6 version drivers: voodoops2 with trackpad prefpane (i think i got it from xps 13 thread-google for alps support); acpips2nub-or whatever it is called; voodoobattery; voodooHDA with AppleHDA and HDAenable; voodoomini or voodooacpi - both work well with speedstep)

copy Ed's DSDT to root of new 10.6 or to Extra

*make sure you add your SL drive/partition UUID to smbios.plist and UUIDplatform.kext before first boot, if you dont you may have USB problems*

now you can reboot.

when i get my dv3510 back ill make an extensions package for download if wanted. i dont have it now (i tried putting on a different bios with hopes of getting a new acpi dsdt that would allow for sleep and backlight, but with very bad results - its now back with HP :huh::D )

if i cant get sleep and backlight working, i may just have to sell my dv3510. battery life is under an hour with SL!! my eyes are fried from such a bright screen and im just done with windows if not gaming.

Thanks for the offer. Bring on the kexts pkg.

SL runs just as functional as Leo, everything but sleep and backlight dimming. no use for butler app, volume buttons work great.

Retail Install is straight forward, from Leo install into a new partition or drive from SLDVD>System>Installation>OSInstall.mpkg

Do not reboot!!

reinstall chameleon 2 RC3 & use GraphicsEnabler (RC4 does not work for my laptop dunno why)

add standard required drivers to S/L/E (SMC UUID etc...any install method mentions them)

if you keep Leo, make sure the old /Extensions are moved to /E/E/10.5

add drivers to E/E/[(10.6)if dual booting] (*10.6 version drivers: voodoops2 with trackpad prefpane (i think i got it from xps 13 thread-google for alps support); acpips2nub-or whatever it is called; voodoobattery; voodooHDA with AppleHDA and HDAenable; voodoomini or voodooacpi - both work well with speedstep)

copy Ed's DSDT to root of new 10.6 or to Extra

*make sure you add your SL drive/partition UUID to smbios.plist and UUIDplatform.kext before first boot, if you dont you may have USB problems*

now you can reboot.

when i get my dv3510 back ill make an extensions package for download if wanted. i dont have it now (i tried putting on a different bios with hopes of getting a new acpi dsdt that would allow for sleep and backlight, but with very bad results - its now back with HP ;):D )

if i cant get sleep and backlight working, i may just have to sell my dv3510. battery life is under an hour with SL!! my eyes are fried from such a bright screen and im just done with windows if not gaming.

I´m with you, man.

Although we have overcome many problems, the fact that the brightness is not working is now being the most serious drawback. We have been able to reach here with this HP laptop, but unfortunately the problem of brightness makes it very uncomfortable to use.

This is one of the great disadvantages of the Hackintosh laptops: there are too many things to solve, much more than in a desktop PC, and if one fails, it may take away your desire to use OSX on it.

I have spent too many hours with this, many more than I really have used OSX with this laptop. It is great to impress my friends, but I believe that the effort hasn´t compensated me.

Does it really worth paying 400-500€ more and buy a Macbook Pro? Well.. If I think in my experience, in the +100 hours that I must have spent with the hacky thing... Yes, no doubt.

Sometimes I also think of selling it and buy a MacBook Pro, but then is when I realize how little I use my laptop. To navigate, read PDFs, write some code, and do the little things I do on the laptop, any operating system does the job.

Another very different situation is with my desktop Hacky, that works 100% flawlessly and I am fully satisfied with it.

So, in my humble opinion, in the present day our DV3 hacky project it´s great if you take it like a entertainment, but -at least until someone solves the issue of brightness-, if you really want a mac laptop... buy it to Apple.

It´s the best advice I can give you after my experience.

Thank you all for your support, hard testing, and all the new SL info you´re providing.

Despite all this words, there is a small chance I rewrite the guide next summer if I have more time (and will) to spend on this.

Thanks for the offer. Bring on the kexts pkg.

my dv3510 is 1500 miles away from me, so i can only probs only provide the package in july...

but ill try to search through time machine in the next few days, maybe i can get them there

Guys,

1- The brightness problem can be addressed with an application called shades:

http://www.lifeclever.com/freeware-of-the-week-shades-mac/

It puts a dark tint on the entire viewable field which helps enormously.

2- The low battery time could be solved with a universal external battery which brings me up to 5 hours of battery time. Ebay: Valence N-Charge Model 130HL01 for Dell D620. It is the same size as our laptop's base and it works!

3- So, the only problem as I see it is the wake from sleep. Anyone have any tips on sleep or making the computer hibernate instead of sleep?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I'm trying to get OS X to run on my 3550eg for some days now.
Today I found your Topic and just tried to install it.

Installation ends like supposed with a error. Until that everything looks fine.
But after the reboot with the Boot-CD, I don't get that OS X video.
I get a blue screen, the cursor comes up and the display turns grey ans stays in that colour.
The HDD-LED keeps blinking, but nothing happens (I was waiting for about 15 minutes).
If I type something on the keyboard I get sounds, but that's all.

The DVD i used contains Leopard 10.5.6. (They are hard to find since Snow Leopard came out)
The only thing I've changed in my Laptop is the HDD.
I changed the original for a Seagate (160GB).
(I don't wanted to delete the Recovery Partition on the original.)

I tried this installation twice. I even did the disc check before the second installation.
It seems there is no problem with the DVD (it grows slowly up to 100% and the installation starts).

I started to boot with "-v" command, but didn't recognise much.
Can you guys help me?

[url="http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/7753/p1030085f.jpg"]http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/7753/p1030085f.jpg[/url]
[url="http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/8715/p1030088f.jpg"]http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/8715/p1030088f.jpg[/url]
[url="http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/157/p1030092m.jpg"]http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/157/p1030092m.jpg[/url]

I hope you can read something. The glare display sucks. ^^

And second question. Will you provide a Boot-CD für Snow Leopard?

Thanks for your great work so far!

Hi again! The prolem seemed to be the Leopard DVD. Tried another one and it worked.

I followed the further instructions, but I still can't boot without the CD.

First I did it with option A. Copied "Extra" folder to desktop.

Installed Chameleon, deleted the "new" folder and copied back from desktop.

(then I did all the other steps)

How can I fully remove the installed Chameleon?

It seems that option B isn't just easier, but maybe it's better too.

Thank you in advance!

[Ok.. found help in the first few posts of this topic for that problem. I'll try it on my own.

But maybe you can update this great guide for solving this problem.]

• 1 month later...

Snow Leo installed on my HackBook. Now at 80%, still testing Trackpad kexts, sound, and trying to solve some USB issues.

Update: Done. I would like to make some tests before upload the new pack.

All working almost like before, QE/CI, and so on, but sound its still a bit buggy, and we return to a single finger functionality on the trackpad. Still no way with brightness control or wake from sleep.

Here is my NEW DV TEST PACK for Snow Leopard: http://www.mediafire.com/?b44qktqoel1z44h

Whats new:

- New Pack for Snow Leopard 64 bits

- Minimal Kext pack used

- New DSDT compiled with 0 Errors 0 Warnings (old one was 28 warnings)

- Native Powermanagement

- Uses 64 bits Kernel

Whats wrong:

- USB sometime fails (fix doesn´t included). Speedstep, Brightness or Sleep don´t work.

This time I don´t gonna make any new guide or installer, I´m sorry.

In fact, I Wanna sell my HP DV, I´m soooooooo tired of losing my time with this {censored} hacky thing... <_>

Here is my NEW DV TEST PACK for Snow Leopard: http://www.mediafire.com/?b44qktqoel1z44h

Whats new:

- New Pack for Snow Leopard 64 bits

- Minimal Kext pack used

- New DSDT compiled with 0 Errors 0 Warnings (old one was 28 warnings)

- Native Powermanagement

- Uses 64 bits Kernel

Whats wrong:

- USB sometime fails (fix doesn´t included). Speedstep, Brightness or Sleep don´t work.

In fact, I Wanna sell my HP DV, I´m soooooooo tired of losing my time with this {censored} hacky thing... :lol:

please please please please please make a guide please the last thing that you do for the hp dv3 series please please please

Whats wrong:

In fact, I Wanna sell my HP DV, I´m soooooooo tired of losing my time with this {censored} hacky thing... :D

I had troubles with USB too; remembering back, i fixed it with a dell xps 13 USB fix package and adding my UUID to the smbios.plist immediately at install. I thought speedstep was working too...

I know I have said I'd share my /Extra folder and kexts but the laptop is gone, and my time machine drive was stolen.

i sold my dv3510nr and moved on to the Asus Eee 1201N - 100% Bliss - dual core, nvidia ion, everything works perfect.

Good luck