[Guide] Dell Inspiron 6400/9400/1520/1720/E1405/E1505/E1705 Intel Core Duo

devilhood

2,614 posts in this topic

yeah, I am aware of that :) . hoping to see a fix. some kexts showing up in the other thread, but nothing working so far.

btw. I got Leo10.5.8 working under vmware without flaws. Running it under Windows 7 64bit. Everything working, including sound, ethernet, 2cores, 2Gb Ram (I could give it more), shared folders with host, autoresolution (res changes when changing window). Not long and I will do the same with SL once it's possible. Runs very nicely in fact. Some of you may be interested. Here is a great guide by Donk. Here is an image of my desktop. That same vmware image also runs nicely on my Inspiron under Windows 7 :(

From your photo, it looks like you're using vesa 3.0. I too had the same problem and solved it by: (1) boot into SL without the -x32 flag, (2) enable one sleep corner, (3) disable automatic login via accounts in system preferences, (4) install screen sleeper solution, (5) add the gma kexts, and (5) ran kext utility noob provided. After reboot, I did not boot using -x32 and I got full hardware acceleration with no artifacts and correct screen resolution. I don't use -x32 anymore.

I too used the hidden chameleon 2 rc 2 EFI method of noob (:) koodoos to you noob) with only fakesmc, NullCPUPowerManagement, and OpenHaltRestart but save the boot plist into the Extras folder in the hidden EFI partition not the S/L/System Config. Still waiting for tsy sync kernel patch, the last thing left to fix.

From your photo, it looks like you're using vesa 3.0. I too had the same problem and solved it by: (1) boot into SL without the -x32 flag, (2) enable one sleep corner, (3) disable automatic login via accounts in system preferences, (4) install screen sleeper solution, (5) add the gma kexts, and (5) ran kext utility noob provided. After reboot, I did not boot using -x32 and I got full hardware acceleration with no artifacts and correct screen resolution. I don't use -x32 anymore.

I too used the hidden chameleon 2 rc 2 EFI method of noob (;) koodoos to you noob) with only fakesmc, NullCPUPowerManagement, and OpenHaltRestart but save the boot plist into the Extras folder in the hidden EFI partition not the S/L/System Config. Still waiting for tsy sync kernel patch, the last thing left to fix.

sorry about my ignorance. Maybe my previous post was confusing. the picture shows osx in vmware and that is vesa3, unless you are referring to a different picture. I will definitely try your suggestion, although I am skeptical. I can boot into SL fine, the gma950 is just not recognized, no matter whether I do it 64 or 32 bit (we know 64 should not work). when you say 5) add the gma950 kexts, which ones are you referring to? The black screen only occurs when I install the silent natit. I will try your steps with that, gma950 kexts I have the stock and one from the other post. Let me know which gma950 kexts you used. Please tell me what processor you have.

thank you

tgd

I too used the hidden chameleon 2 rc 2 EFI method of noob (:D koodoos to you noob) with only fakesmc, NullCPUPowerManagement, and OpenHaltRestart but save the boot plist into the Extras folder in the hidden EFI partition not the S/L/System Config. Still waiting for tsy sync kernel patch, the last thing left to fix.

I try sir, If you have any suggestions or things you would like me to add to the guide. let me know

ok, tried all the steps, but doesn't work. I tried stock gma950 kexts. kexts provided in the other post, with and without natit, on internal or on external.....this is what it always ends up being:

Chipset Model:	GMA 950
 Type:	GPU
 Bus:	Built-In
 VRAM (Total):	64 MB of Shared System Memory
 Vendor:	Intel (0x8086)
 Device ID:	0x27a2
 Revision ID:	0x0003
 Kernel Extension Info:	No Kext Loaded

Unless somebody proofs me wrong I just claim that this has to do with core2duo 64bit processor and gma950 on Dell notebook. So far I have not seen anybody proof me wrong :) . I hope to be wrong of course...

sorry about my ignorance. Maybe my previous post was confusing. the picture shows osx in vmware and that is vesa3, unless you are referring to a different picture. I will definitely try your suggestion, although I am skeptical. I can boot into SL fine, the gma950 is just not recognized, no matter whether I do it 64 or 32 bit (we know 64 should not work). when you say 5) add the gma950 kexts, which ones are you referring to? The black screen only occurs when I install the silent natit. I will try your steps with that, gma950 kexts I have the stock and one from the other post. Let me know which gma950 kexts you used. Please tell me what processor you have.

thank you

tgd

That sucks because you help out lots of people including myself. I have a 1.67 Core Duo, the default for my laptop. I backup the gma950 (G950) kexts and AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer (A2IF) kext from the DVD and then remove it to force the install to use vesa because my laptop gets black screen regardless of GMA 950 EFI String or Natit.kext. I proceeded with the install and remove G950 and A2IF from the snow leopard partition again because it got installed into the partition mysteriously. I move on and completed the first time setup in vesa and then proceeded with the steps I'll outline for you in my previous post.

I try sir, If you have any suggestions or things you would like me to add to the guide. let me know

I would love to help you out. Your guide is awesome however I only know how to install a retail Snow for my laptop and similar Inspiron generation models. I rather help Devilhood with this one or start a new one.

Is there a way to make VoodooPS2, VoodooHDA, and VoodooBattery work in the EFI? I've install all three but only VoodooPS2 partially worked (the keyboard worked not the trackpad). The other two were no joy. I'm still new to this EFI method.

That sucks because you help out lots of people including myself. I have a 1.67 Core Duo, the default for my laptop. I backup the gma950 (G950) kexts and AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer (A2IF) kext from the DVD and then remove it to force the install to use vesa because my laptop gets black screen regardless of GMA 950 EFI String or Natit.kext. I proceeded with the install and remove G950 and A2IF from the snow leopard partition again because it got installed into the partition mysteriously. I move on and completed the first time setup in vesa and then proceeded with the steps I'll outlined

yep, just what I thought, you got a core duo :P. your experience is the same that jusasweet69 had above. He had to remove the gma950 kexts first, then reinstall extracted from install image, then got it to work. I tried that already. My system however is acting like there is no graphics card in my system :)

"That sucks" is the right terminology :)

I am sure there will be fixes along the way. Thanks for trying to help!

Unless somebody proofs me wrong I just claim that this has to do with core2duo 64bit processor and gma950 on Dell notebook. So far I have not seen anybody proof me wrong :) . I hope to be wrong of course...

ive been wanting to buy a C2D off ebay for like $80 but now im a lil skeptical if it would just ruin my graphics now i guess ill wait and find out if that is your problem hope i can find that deal again in a month or 2 and is the C2D a decent noticeable improvement?

ive been wanting to buy a C2D off ebay for like $80 but now im a lil skeptical if it would just ruin my graphics now i guess ill wait and find out if that is your problem hope i can find that deal again in a month or 2 and is the C2D a decent noticeable improvement?

yes, it is a huge improvement. It's the cache of 4mb on the chip that makes it speedier. I was impressed when I switched from my core duo 1.66Ghz to this one, much more so than when I upgraded from 2Gb to 4Gb ram.

got mine from ebay as well (T7200). But again, there will probably be an easy fix for this.

Also, at this point I only see positive installs with core duos or core solo's. I have not seen anybody try this with a core2duo. So this could mean that it's still possible and I am just a fool :D

That sucks because you help out lots of people including myself. I have a 1.67 Core Duo, the default for my laptop. I backup the gma950 (G950) kexts and AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer (A2IF) kext from the DVD and then remove it to force the install to use vesa because my laptop gets black screen regardless of GMA 950 EFI String or Natit.kext. I proceeded with the install and remove G950 and A2IF from the snow leopard partition again because it got installed into the partition mysteriously. I move on and completed the first time setup in vesa and then proceeded with the steps I'll outline for you in my previous post.

I would love to help you out. Your guide is awesome however I only know how to install a retail Snow for my laptop and similar Inspiron generation models. I rather help Devilhood with this one or start a new one.

Is there a way to make VoodooPS2, VoodooHDA, and VoodooBattery work in the EFI? I've install all three but only VoodooPS2 partially worked (the keyboard worked not the trackpad). The other two were no joy. I'm still new to this EFI method.

VoodooHDA, no since it needs a dependency but the rest of them will just make sure at the bottom of the plist's of the kext and the kext plugins you add the string posted in the guide.

Hello all,

I am currently in the progress of trying to install 10.5.6 on my dell Inspiron 6400 laptop. I used iDeneb v1.4 which has this by default. I was using kalyway 10.5.2 but it seemed a lot more difficult to get updated all the way up to 10.5.8 which I think wont be too difficult from 10.5.6 from what I have read.

Now everything is working pretty well. I still am having some driver issues but I know there are plenty of information already on this forum about those. My major issue currently though is that my Ethernet is not working. (Not worrying about wireless, that can wait, but need some form of internet. Transferring files via flash drives is becoming annoying especially since my windows 7 machine isn't liking my flash drive anymore!)

From this thread I have found that " IONetworkingFamily.kext" should work but it didn't seem to work when I installed it. So I was wondering if I was missing something and there is a newer version out there?

I don't know much about mac so this might always be like this, but I tried to do a "network repair" thing and it said that it did notice an Ethernet port but it just said that it wasn't connected to anything. This seemed kinda weird to me because at least in windows if it didn't have a working driver then it wouldn't even show up when trying to connect to the internet.

Thanks for any help that you can supply!!

Daniel

Hey guys is it possible to re-do this guide updating it to snow leopard, if needs be ill do what ever i can. just need a proper guide for my 6400, the inspiron.iso (modifeid boot123) no longer works with snow leopard and all boot123's for snow leopard dont work (cant get snow leopard to boot with them at all!!!)

Thanks for all the hard work! keep it up!

Hey guys is it possible to re-do this guide updating it to snow leopard, if needs be ill do what ever i can. just need a proper guide for my 6400, the inspiron.iso (modifeid boot123) no longer works with snow leopard and all boot123's for snow leopard dont work (cant get snow leopard to boot with them at all!!!)

Thanks for all the hard work! keep it up!

here is the perfect guide for you for the 6400 by the man himself. Works perfect. No need for another guide.

thanks for the reply :) looks good only problem is im running linux and have a retail dvd of SL! the old boot123 dosnt work at all :thumbsup_anim: any thoughts ? Regards

EDIT: Ok i go the cd working but i kernel panic as soon as it boots snow leopard is there anyone here who can rebuild the inspiron.iso on the new chameleon v2 based cd (cd can be found here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=55195 )

Regards

thanks for the reply :) looks good only problem is im running linux and have a retail dvd of SL! the old boot123 dosnt work at all :) any thoughts ? Regards

EDIT: Ok i go the cd working but i kernel panic as soon as it boots snow leopard is there anyone here who can rebuild the inspiron.iso on the new chameleon v2 based cd (cd can be found here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=55195 )

Regards

noob766 build the iso right there in the same link for you already. Since he is using a 6400 it's perfect for you. not sure what else you are looking for.

i know and i tried it and i just kernel panic but thats because kdetech modified it with dsdt and a custom boot list, where is noobs iso? ( the link i gave is kdetechs on not Noobs) thanks for taking your time to help me by the way must appreciated!

EDIT: Ok i just coped it ! are you talking about the OSXLOADER.iso? if so im super sorry for that out burst of stupidity!

also just to let you know im trying to boot a retail cd if that changes anything

Regards

i know and i tried it and i just kernel panic but thats because kdetech modified it with dsdt and a custom boot list, where is noobs iso? ( the link i gave is kdetechs on not Noobs) thanks for taking your time to help me by the way must appreciated!

EDIT: Ok i just coped it ! are you talking about the OSXLOADER.iso? if so im super sorry for that out burst of stupidity!

also just to let you know im trying to boot a retail cd if that changes anything

Regards

yep, that is for retail DVDs. I used noob's method and it works flawlessly. I have not tried his iso yet myself but it should work as well. burn it to a cd, start system with cd, then change over to retail disk and start installation...

yep, that is for retail DVDs. I used noob's method and it works flawlessly. I have not tried his iso yet myself but it should work as well. burn it to a cd, start system with cd, then change over to retail disk and start installation...

you might have to restore the dvd to a partition to get it to boot but its not that much of a hassle and you can delete the partition afterwards.

i really wish i could but only problem is that im running on debian and it sees the dvd as the windows version with boot camp stuff so i cant do it that way, is there any way to boot a cd image from the OSXLOADER? the version which i have linked to the one that KDETECH made allows for to boot from a dvd and it uses chameleon v2! thank you for all your work with our laptop noob!

Regards

Not 100% sure, but my Dell Inspiron 9400 had a Broadcom 440x which was easy to install, there is a kext included in the Dell Laptops Post Installer package here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=97966

Thanks for the reply.

I tried to do this and it doesn't work on my computer. I tried to use both the installer as well as install it manually and neither one of them worked. Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Daniel

Edit: Well nevermind. After messing with settings about the network it just started working. Kind of out of no where! Oh well it works and that is all that matters! Thanks! Hopefully now I can get the rest working!

so...did everyone give up on the x1400?

i need it desperately. and im still getting artifacts, although pretty minor.

thanks for the dedication. said it before-- yall the best

can you post exactly what your graphics card is. maybe i can help you

I have a 6400 dual 1.67 with a ati radeon mobility x1400 and I've been running 10.5.6 for almost a year now. Only problem is I can't get my 1280x800 res and my mouse has artifacts. Also, I haven't been able to get sleep working-- maybe if someone knew a good guide to do the deep sleep thing or whatever.

I'm running a fresh install because I tried to install SL and didn't have success or the time to mess around with it so back to 10.5.6. Feels pretty stable, I was recording music on it today..

Should I even worry about upgrading? I feel like 5.6 is stable and if I can get the display working I would be more than pleased with it. thanks.

PS - With the display I tried editing the boot.plist with the resolution string and it still didn't work so, theres a starting point..

I have a 6400 dual 1.67 with a ati radeon mobility x1400 and I've been running 10.5.6 for almost a year now. Only problem is I can't get my 1280x800 res and my mouse has artifacts. Also, I haven't been able to get sleep working-- maybe if someone knew a good guide to do the deep sleep thing or whatever.

I'm running a fresh install because I tried to install SL and didn't have success or the time to mess around with it so back to 10.5.6. Feels pretty stable, I was recording music on it today..

Should I even worry about upgrading? I feel like 5.6 is stable and if I can get the display working I would be more than pleased with it. thanks.

PS - With the display I tried editing the boot.plist with the resolution string and it still didn't work so, theres a starting point..

try this

EVOenabler.kext.zip