[Guide] Dell Inspiron 6400/9400/1520/1720/E1405/E1505/E1705 Intel Core Duo

devilhood

2,614 posts in this topic

ah yeah i though that was the one you where talking about, thanks for the info though, i just hope i can get this stupid graphics card working i mean its going to a frame buffer state and not its native resolution which makes no sense! thats why im writeing my own driver at the moment, i actually need people to test it and correct my mistakes!

Regards

ah yeah i though that was the one you where talking about, thanks for the info though, i just hope i can get this stupid graphics card working i mean its going to a frame buffer state and not its native resolution which makes no sense! thats why im writeing my own driver at the moment, i actually need people to test it and correct my mistakes!

Regards

I test it if you write one for gma950 :D

Finally. New sig. thanks to Noob766

thanks to Jon who got me on the right path. Nothing is perfect, not even chameleon.

two important findings.

a ) The AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext provided in Noob's installation will lead to artifacts on my system. It's perfect for installation though. Once system is installed I suggest to apply expose mouse trick or script to wake display from sleep on login and use stock framebuffer - no artifacts or mouse tearing.

b ) No matter what I do to make the system boot into 32bit in com.apple.boot.plist on the EFI partition or (not and) SystemPreferences folder, it will always boot 64bit. I've tried every possible permutation that's out there. The only way for me to boot the system into 32bit is by entering

arch=i386 -legacy

at the Chameleon boot menu. The slightest change to this, e.g. -arch=i386 and nada. Interestingly it takes all other kernel flags fine, e.g. cpus=1 works without a problem in boot.plist from the EFI partition.

now waiting for fixed kernel......

totally forgot to mention that about that kext. thanks for covering me. I use it for installations so i don't have to worry about sleeping the display.

so, after you got yours completely installed, do you have qe and ci?

so with the gma950 you can use any framebuffer you want. as long as the IOGraphicsFamily.kext is the same version as you are installing you will get QE/CI, but if you use an old framebuffer you will get artifacts, so I switch to the EFI string after installation

Finally. New sig. thanks to Noob766

thanks to Jon who got me on the right path. Nothing is perfect, not even chameleon.

two important findings.

a ) The AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext provided in Noob's installation will lead to artifacts on my system. It's perfect for installation though. Once system is installed I suggest to apply expose mouse trick or script to wake display from sleep on login and use stock framebuffer - no artifacts or mouse tearing.

b ) No matter what I do to make the system boot into 32bit in com.apple.boot.plist on the EFI partition or (not and) SystemPreferences folder, it will always boot 64bit. I've tried every possible permutation that's out there. The only way for me to boot the system into 32bit is by entering

arch=i386

at the Chameleon boot menu. The slightest change to this, e.g. -arch=i386 and nada. Interestingly it takes all other kernel flags fine, e.g. cpus=1 works without a problem in boot.plist from the EFI partition.

now waiting for fixed kernel......

hey i got it working by inputing this in the com.apple.Boot.plist both in /extras and /s/l/e

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-arch=x86_32</string>

so with the gma950 you can use any framebuffer you want. as long as the IOGraphicsFamily.kext is the same version as you are installing you will get QE/CI, but if you use an old framebuffer you will get artifacts, so I switch to the EFI string after installation

ok, if I get this right then if I use vanilla kexts everything and the EFI string I should get qe and ci. That's exactly what I got, but I don't have ci nor qe. In fact, when I don't use the EFI string, the system just hangs after boot.

Once booted they don't even show up as shown above. In the past I used to get at least ci not supported or similar. Everything is working, software, video streaming. maybe it's working - just not showing?

any idea?

edit1: so just for {censored} and giggles I used 10.5.8 framebuffer and IOGraphicsFamily kext. System works identical to SL kexts, no artifacts, still no ic or qe though.

hey i got it working by inputing this in the com.apple.Boot.plist both in /extras and /s/l/e

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-arch=x86_32</string>

thanks, I knew there is something, just not that simple :)

edit1: darn, the gma950 was made by the devil. I am positive now. when I use these the system boots without the gma950 kexts again and it's in 64bit. only way for now is to type arch=i386 before boot.

Hey folks now that the new XNU Kernel has been released on Apple source code page, can someone recompile it with the TSU Sync patch so we can use dual core again!

Regards

The ever loving quinn

let us know when you find it. just a matter of hours or days

Well actaully the sourcecode for the kernel is available ( http://www.opensource.apple.com/release/mac-os-x-106/ down at the bottem) but im not really sure what goes into patching it to be honest (like i said im not new to linux but very new to darwin) greatdeceiver you did it with old one correct ? and if so cant you just do it with the new one?

Regards

Well actaully the sourcecode for the kernel is available ( http://www.opensource.apple.com/release/mac-os-x-106/ down at the bottem) but im not really sure what goes into patching it to be honest (like i said im not new to linux but very new to darwin) greatdeceiver you did it with old one correct ? and if so cant you just do it with the new one?

Regards

I wish I could. Sonotone and others can patch it. we just need to wait.

Regards

Cool! It's nice to know that there's light at the end of the tunnel.

Interesting... I too don't have the Quartz Extreme Enabled listed under System Profiler. I have the exact System Profiler readout as TheGreatDeceiver posted. Do you have the same readout Noob766? Both my AppleIntelGMA950.kext and AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext is version 1.6.2 while my IOGraphicsFamily.kext is version 2.0. The 10.6.1 update did upgrade GMA950 and framebuffer to 1.6.2 (from 1.6.0 in 10.6) however, it's still not 64-bit capable.

EDIT: I removed the GMA950 EFI String but still no QE/CI in the System Profiler.

Glad to help! :D

looks like qe and ci have been on all along...... just came across this.

http://prasys.co.cc/2009/09/quartz-extreme...n-snow-leopard/

great find!!! :) just what I thought because my screensaver is working fine and anything I throw at it. terrific!

cheers deliriumm and thanks again for the find!! released from hunting ghosts! :)

im not sure sonotone is active any more! and i havent seen any one around whos able to do it, if someone gives me the tsu patch ill do it (or at least attempt ) also if someone could give me the perviously patched kernel as well that would be good!

what about these folks? they patched previous kernels.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1261205

great find!!! ;) just what I thought because my screensaver is working fine and anything I throw at it. terrific!

cheers deliriumm and thanks again for the find!! released from hunting ghosts! :D

i should of thought about that i knew it was working on mine cuz i had ripples in my dashboard when i added my widgets after install i feel kind of bad not mentioning that now and you hunting so long for it :unsure: sorry and now we just need this kernel and i gotta fix my sleep issues its driving me mad :wacko: i think its cuz i installed on an external drive....

Hello everyone.. any updated guide for the E1405/640m ?? is 10.5.6 still the highest release

to run? Thanks in advance

You can do a retail install of 10.6! I don't have any problems except for sleep and cpus=1. Just follow Noob766's guide word for word. You won't regret it however,

You can either:

A. Use an external monitor for the install and first run or

B. Backup the gma950 kexts to a safe location away from the installer and HD you're installing to and remove it from the installer then reapply after you're running 10.6.

Another way is to upgrade but I haven't heard of anyone here trying that method. I've successfully upgraded my friend's macbook from 10.5.8 to 10.6 using my same installer (but fully vanilla; didn't remove gma950 kexts). My guess is it's possible but both the HD you want to upgrade and the installer has to be GUID and HFS+ for it to work. I don't recommend upgrading because it's uncharted territory and who knows what you'll find at the end of the rainbow.

Remember to backup your files. I've lost good portions of mine during many install attempts.

whats up everybody..

I tried to download and run the Civ IV game for Mac and I knew it was gonna be a shot in the dark from the beginning but I figured what the heck. Anyways, I got an interesting error after a smooth install when I tried to run the program...I thought it could be useful some how if anyone out there is still working on a fix for the x1400...

I'm running 10.5.5 on an e1505

post-376012-1253384329_thumb.jpg

Hi all,

I have a few issues getting my Inspiron E1505 OSx86 install to work correctly.

Specs:

ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 Graphics

Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8 GHz

Sigmatel 9200 C-Major HD Audio

Ricoh 3-1 Memory Card Reader

Dell W1390 Wireless Mini Card

I installed iATKOS v7 (Leopard 10.5.7)

Graphics: No QE/CI Support & resolution at 1024 x 768 :(

Sleep & Shutdown: Do not Work

Sound: Works after patching

SD Reader: Works after patching

Trackpad/Keyboard: Work fine

Network: Dell Wireless 1390 Works fine

So my question is: is anyone willing to help me get my radeon x1400, and sleep/hibernate working?

Thanks