[Guide] Dell Inspiron 6400/9400/1520/1720/E1405/E1505/E1705 Intel Core Duo

devilhood

2,614 posts in this topic

lol...sorry...just wanted to keep it towards the top of the page hoping someone would see it and offer tips...

another noob edit: looked on the cd...found the install on the harddrive thing...booting fine now...trackpad is still on fire but everything else seems to be coming along...

install voodoops2 controller kexts. under new releases.

make sure you remove :

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ACPIPS2Nub.kext

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

/System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext

there may also be ACPIPS2Nub.kext and ps2controller kexts in /Extra/extensions.mkext in the root. you need to unpack that with mkext helper (or sth similar) and repack it without those. you can inject the voodoops2controller kext into that as well.

install voodoops2 controller kexts. under new releases.

make sure you remove :

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ACPIPS2Nub.kext

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

/System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext

there may also be ACPIPS2Nub.kext and ps2controller kexts in /Extra/extensions.mkext in the root. you need to unpack that with mkext helper (or sth similar) and repack it without those. you can inject the voodoops2controller kext into that as well.

thanks for the help...i'm new to this and i'm gonna try and figure this out...but i haven't had to do any of that yet...so i honestly have no idea how...pretty sure i can figure out how to delete and i guess i can use kext helper to install...but that other part i'm not sure i understand what to do...

edit: i lied...lol...i have no idea what i'm doing...

i downloaded this: VoodooPS2Controller_0.98_updated_20090511.zip and kext helper....have no idea what to do now...(obviously i can do the deleteing but other than that) open the folder for the PS2controller and there's "debug" "release" "VoodooPS2controller blach blah blah" not sure what to do next...

edit: ok...see the installer on the official site...can download that...can delete the other things...install the installer...but that one step: "there may also be ACPIPS2Nub.kext and ps2controller kexts in /Extra/extensions.mkext in the root. you need to unpack that with mkext helper (or sth similar) and repack it without those. you can inject the voodoops2controller kext into that as well" still confuses me...

again: hmmmm....unless i'm going blind i don't see any of those files to delete...and i go to AppleACPIPlatform.kext but there was no ACPIPS2Nub.kext in Contents/PlugIns/

newest: well i bit the bullet and used the installer...now the trackpad & keyboard don't work at all...but i do have the trackpad and voodoops2 options in system preferences...

restarted again and it works...so now the only issue i'm having is the whole dual-core thing...still have it running one core...

restarted again and it works...so now the only issue i'm having is the whole dual-core thing...still have it running one core...

get sonotone's kernel from his dell patcher or use voodoo kernel. I am not sure which v you are installing ...10.5.6 .7 ? Depending on that pick the correct kernel. Make sure your system.kext is the same version, e.g. if you have system.kext from 10.5.6 you need the 9.6 kernel.

get sonotone's kernel from his dell patcher or use voodoo kernel. I am not sure which v you are installing ...10.5.6 .7 ? Depending on that pick the correct kernel. Make sure your system.kext is the same version, e.g. if you have system.kext from 10.5.6 you need the 9.6 kernel.

i installed retail disc 10.5.6 and have update through software update to 10.5.7..so currently i am running 10.5.7...

lets see if i can figure this out now...lol...

edit: so which file from sonotone's post do i download? just the installer and then run...or one of the other files? or if i go voodoo how do i install that?

nevermind edit: lol after installing what i did from the cd everything would have worked...i just never turned it back on to test...its all good...thanks again..

and now its back to no trackpad/keyboard...lol...lets try antoher restart...

i installed retail disc 10.5.6 and have update through software update to 10.5.7..so currently i am running 10.5.7...

lets see if i can figure this out now...lol...

edit: so which file from sonotone's post do i download? just the installer and then run...or one of the other files? or if i go voodoo how do i install that?

you can download his latest patcher 1.4.1 and install the 9.6 kernel and make sure you got system.kext from 10.5.6 and a compatible seatbelt.kext.

better yet, try the latest voodoo 9.7 alpha 3 kernel based on 9.7 and you don't have to worry about the other kexts.

you can download his latest patcher 1.4.1 and install the 9.6 kernel and make sure you got system.kext from 10.5.6 and a compatible seatbelt.kext.

better yet, try the latest voodoo 9.7 alpha 3 kernel based on 9.7 and you don't have to worry about the other kexts.

ok weird...both cores load fine but trackpad/keyboard don't work (well i shouldn't say that...trackpad doesn't work but keyboard acts like a key is stuck down)...but its smooth...not jittering, stuttering, etc...

turn the core off and everything works like normal...

so install that new kernel...or is it something else?

edit: pretty sure i got the kernel installed...any way to actually check? lol...terrible question i know...

well anyway...did that...turned on other core...same issue...no trackpad and keyboard acting like a button is stuck...

then i decided (probably not the right idea) to run the installer for voodoo ps2 again..and of course that fixed NOTHING and now the trackpad option from system pref. is gone and the voodoops2 option gives an error message...

DOH!

ran the installer (voodoops2) again, restarted and turned off core and everything is back to normal again...

any ideas?

ran the installer (voodoops2) again, restarted and turned off core and everything is back to normal again...

any ideas?

kernel not installed correctly or the new voodoo is not taking care of the cpu timing yet (I would think it should). try 9.6 from sonoton's patcher and system.kext from 10.5.6 (probably comes with sonotone's patcher)

ok...new update...trying to update kernel with osx86tools...everytime i boot back into osx check it says detected kernel: "vanilla 9.6.0 kernel" do they all say that (tried sonotone's 9.6 and voodoo) or is it not actually installing...because nothing's changing...everytime i reboot, turn on dual core, boot into osx the trackpad does not work and it acts as if a key on the keyboard is stuck...

any ideas?

edit: and does it matter that i'm running 10.5.7 and am using 9.6 kernels (or maybe i'm not and its just that's what's installed and nothing is over writing it...as you can see i'm still very new at this)?

ok weird...both cores load fine but trackpad/keyboard don't work (well i shouldn't say that...trackpad doesn't work but keyboard acts like a key is stuck down)...but its smooth...not jittering, stuttering, etc...

turn the core off and everything works like normal...

so install that new kernel...or is it something else?

edit: pretty sure i got the kernel installed...any way to actually check? lol...terrible question i know...

well anyway...did that...turned on other core...same issue...no trackpad and keyboard acting like a button is stuck...

then i decided (probably not the right idea) to run the installer for voodoo ps2 again..and of course that fixed NOTHING and now the trackpad option from system pref. is gone and the voodoops2 option gives an error message...

DOH!

any ideas?

Same problem here. In addition everytime I closed the lid on my E1505, would not put the system to sleep. I could not figure out what the problem was so I figured that the 2 finger scrolling was not that important and restored the old kexts. I am not giving up on the possibility of putting the computer to sleep for the 2 finger scrolling. Way more important for me.

humm, "dark side of the boot" :P

I think this is it. I haven't booted OSX for over a month. I think you are correct ;) , I turned back to the dark side of the boot :pirate2: .

maybe I try SL in the future just for the challenge, otherwise OSX is gone for me. good luck :star_smile: .

well i redid everything and have both cores running....everything's smooth and the only issue i have is the superfast mouse...any other mouse drivers i can use other than the one that enables 2-finger scrolling, etc that will fix the mouse but not mess up anything else?

well i redid everything and have both cores running....everything's smooth and the only issue i have is the superfast mouse...any other mouse drivers i can use other than the one that enables 2-finger scrolling, etc that will fix the mouse but not mess up anything else?

voodoops2controller kext works perfectly fine here.

redid everything one last time...lol (hopefully)

everything's good...both cores going....mouse is moving slow now (used the mouse part of sonotone's dell post installer)...a little slower than i like, and i can't click with the trackpad but i have the second core on and can sleep...i would try the voodoops2 thing again but after last time i think i'll stick with this for now...maybe i'll get brave and try it again in the future...

Hi and thanks for the great guide, and people for your informing comments.

I have installed leopard 10.5.7 via IATKOS V7 on my dell inspiron 6400.

Everything works except few crucial things:

The keyboard does not work at all (edit works now after voodoops2)

The trackpad does not work at all (edit works now after voodoops2)

Nothing is outputted on the monitor (have to use an external one) (1680x1050 res)

Wifi doesn't work.

I don't care about the wifi for now but would like the keyboard, trackpad and expecially the monitor to work.

I have intel GMA 945, and it works fully accelerated with quartz extreme on my external dell monitor.

Any ideas will be well appriciated.

edit (keyboard and trackpad work, but I've no clue about the monitor)

i would try the voodoops2 thing again but after last time i think i'll stick with this for now

voodoops2controller is great!!!

Try that: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,257.0.html

And if it works, make this: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/...567.html#msg567

this is the only way that it worked for me.

...and if you have multimedia keys try Butler (sonotone posted a config file ready to use for most common apps).

Nothing is outputted on the monitor (have to use an external one) (1680x1050 res)

Try this: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversi...hp/t110579.html

...or try searching "GMA 945 monitor" or "GMA 945 blank screen" or other related terms in the forum.

Hi and thanks for the great guide, and people for your informing comments.

I have installed leopard 10.5.7 via IATKOS V7 on my dell inspiron 6400.

Everything works except few crucial things:

The keyboard does not work at all (edit works now after voodoops2)

The trackpad does not work at all (edit works now after voodoops2)

Wifi doesn't work.

I don't care about the wifi for now but would like the keyboard, trackpad and expecially the monitor to work.

I have intel GMA 945, and it works fully accelerated with quartz extreme on my external dell monitor.

Any ideas will be well appriciated.

edit (keyboard and trackpad work, but I've no clue about the monitor)

your graphic card is a gma950. 945 refers to the chipset. you can try sonotone's patcher (gma950 patch). when you boot you probably have everything working except that the display is in sleep mode. use the hot corner in expose to set it to wake/sleep the display on mouse over. then when you boot without the external monitor move your mouse into that corner and back. you may have to try a couple times and wait a little until the system finishes the boot sequence. this is a particular problem with the gma950 on the 6400. You can't just try any other gma950 kext solutions that are out there and expect it to work. sonotone's patcher in fact adds a script that wakes the display as described above. If you can find the script by itself and figure out how to install it you don't need the expose trick.

tgd

I think this is it. I haven't booted OSX for over a month. I think you are correct :wacko: , I turned back to the dark side of the boot :) .

maybe I try SL in the future just for the challenge, otherwise OSX is gone for me. good luck :) .

Alright, I had an extra HD for my E1505 and tried Windows 7 for a while. I really "tried to like it", but did not work for me. I am hooked with the OSX user interface and the way it looks on my computer. With the 1680x1050 resolution, OSX86 is too much to pass on. Although some items might not work, the experience is worth the aggravation.

who are you? -_-

just kidding. good to see you! not sure if this is possible. if you do update maybe you should park this one and open a new guide. Too cluttered with 111 pages of posts :( .

Agreed - I'm not actually in a hurry to write it out, because as I'm an XPS user now.. and wingrunr21's guide was a quick and easy read to get things up to scratch :)

Hello all ;-) my little report:

Hardware configuration: DELL inspiron 9400 with

- Core 2 Duo 2GHz T7200

- 2 GB ram

- 160 GB hdd

- broadcom 440x 10/100

- intel pro/wireless 3495ABG

- nvidia geforcego 7900 gs

- sigmatel STAC 92xx

- synaptics touchpad

- Bios rev. A08

Hacked with iDeneb v1.5, system osx v. 10.5.7:

- chameleon v2

- vanilla 9.7.0

- driver NVkush

- driver sigmatel stac9200

Actual situation (UPDATE 2009/07/28):

- system = OK

- touchpad, cd, keyboard = OK

- all usb ports = OK

- firewire = not checked

- graphics = OK after patch (graphical stuttering problems fixed with match_kernel replaced; primary monitor works fine, but without million colors; secondary monitor works OK and - my impression - WITH million colors; s-video port not works)

- sound = OK only after patch (appleHDAPatcher v1.2 + stac9200-j.txt if I right remember - sorry... :lol: )

- battery-meter = OK after patch (dell-laptop post installer > power management > battery meter)

- shut-down = NOT WORKS PROPERLY (logout ok, shutdown system ok, monitor turn off but computer NOT turn off).

- wifi device = NOT WORKS (bypassed with a simple Netgear wireless usb adapter :D )

- ethernet device = NOT WORKS PROPERLY (ok for approx. 10~15 min, then internet connection crash - my router don't find computer. OSx86 tools don't solve definitively problem. Bypassed using wifi usb device. ).

That's all!

Sorry for english, I'm trying to patch it... ;)

Thank you, everybody for all the info and tips!

I'm a proud owner of a 6400 w/ Nvidia graphics. I had previously installed OS X on this machine a couple of years ago, and am thinking about trying again. From what I recall I was able to get just about everything working - I'm going to try to track down the hard drive I used & fire it up again. I'll post my findings.

Cheers!

just did a software update to 10.5.8 from 10.5.6. I basically knew I would screw my system and made a backup image beforehand. Boy, was I shocked when the system booted up fine with no issues, whatsoever (after second boot, as expected). Voodoo all the way :P

Am I a lucky {censored}? :P:hysterical:

better change my sig now ;)