[Guide] Dell Inspiron 6400/9400/1520/1720/E1405/E1505/E1705 Intel Core Duo

devilhood

2,614 posts in this topic

Hi. I'm already running at 10.5.6, but need to update to 10.5.8. There is a good likely hood of me not being able to boot after the update, and if that's the case, I have no problem starting over. My question is this: How can I make it a more organized installation? What is the /Extra/ folder or the dsdt.aml thing? I've never bothered with any of that and everything has worked fine for me. Is there an installer that would streamline the process of starting from scratch, like there is for the dell mini 9?

I have a 10.5.1 retail DVD. Could someone link to a good guide, or tell me the steps to take to install using this DVD, all the way to 10.5.8? My hardware is in the sig, I think, but I'll put it here to be sure:

1.6 ghz T2050 Core Duo

1 GB RAM

Intel GMA 950

Sigmatel 9200

Synaptic Trackpad

Dell 1390 Wireless

Broadcom 440x ethernet

Also, is there a way to get sleep working? I don't have time to read through the whole forum, so could someone just help me a bit. Thanks a lot.

.sleep:

#!/bin/bash

touch onlydisplay

.wakeup:

#!/bin/bash

if [ -f ~/onlydisplay ]

then

cscreen -d 16 && cscreen -d 32

rm -f ~/onlydisplay

fi

Just a little update to prevent external screen bit depth switch when connected (and used as main monitor, see -s2), and add kextload/unload for VoodooHDA.kext when computer awake and prevent sound scratching(trick found here: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,321.0.html)::

#!/bin/bash
if [ -f ~/onlydisplay ]
then
nb_displays=`cscreen | head -1 | cut -d' ' -f1`	
	if [ "$nb_displays" -gt 1 ];then
		cscreen -s2 -d 16 && cscreen -d 32
	else
		cscreen -d 16 && cscreen -d 32
	fi
rm -f ~/onlydisplay
else
voodookext=3
i=0
while [[ $i -lt $voodookext ]] && ! sudo /sbin/kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/VoodooHDA.kext; do
	((i++))	
	sleep 3
done
while [[ $i -lt $voodookext ]] && ! sudo /sbin/kextload /System/Library/Extensions/VoodooHDA.kext; do
	((i++))
done
fi

After upgraing to 10.5.8 on my Inspiron 6400 with Dell 1390 wifi card, the wifi led is never on even if i'm browsing th web.

This is nothing critical but I do miss it, is there any way to get it back ?

If you go to the sonotone post installer thread, I posted a whole bunch of files to get everything working through chameleon, including the kexts you need to put in the extra folder. I can confirm everything works (except for sleep - still working on that one)

Yeah, I downladed it but I'm not on a retail installation and everything except sleep is working for me, with differents kext than yours so I'm not gonna risk it by installing this in the /Extra Folder, why don't you just tell me the one kext that solved the wifi problem for you please ;)

Yeah, I downladed it but I'm not on a retail installation and everything except sleep is working for me, with differents kext than yours so I'm not gonna risk it by installing this in the /Extra Folder, why don't you just tell me the one kext that solved the wifi problem for you please :)

Try using the IO80211 kext. If you have problems with bluetooth (I did) also use the IOBluetoothfamily and IOBluetoothHIDDriver

My inspiron does not have a bluetooth equipment.

I'm gonna test IO80211.kext in a few hours (quicktime is exporting movies right now) and I'll tell you wether it worked or not. Thank you.

You should be able to use the one in my kext pack that I uploaded. Most of those kexts are from 10.5.6 and worked for me.

By the way, I did that whole guide with a retail install on a spare harddrive because like you I am running a hacked install on my main machine (in my case iPC 10.5.6).

I wound up installing the latest chameleon on my main rig, along with all my kexts and was able to update iPC without a problem. Only thing I needed to do when I decided to go with voodoops2 was to remember not only to delete any references from ps2 in my extra/extensions but also from s/l/e since the ipc install places some there.

Once that was done, my iPC install runs just as clean as a retail one ;)

Ok, so I'm gonna give it a try tomoorrow, (just putting the IO80211.kext did not work)

But I would like then to erase everything that is not like a retail install in s/l/e, I mean every additionnal kext from Kalyway (my hack is a kaly 5.2 comboed to 5.6 comboed to 5.8 )

I don't have any PS2 controller right now in s/l/e, I'm running VoodooPS2 since the day it was published.

Hello again comrades!

Question: Is there a fix to get 1280x800 reso on a X1400 yet? Back on page 103 when I asked no one had definite answers, I searched through some threads...one of them got locked...

I have a e1505 btw

Thanks in advanced for the help!

PS - I tried to install 10.5.8 with the combo updater yesterday. I lost everything (luckily i had backed up) and had to re-install 10.5.5. Any links to guides on how to update with the combo updater would be SUPER SUPER appreciated. Ya'll the {censored}!

• 2 weeks later...
You should be able to use the one in my kext pack that I uploaded. Most of those kexts are from 10.5.6 and worked for me.

By the way, I did that whole guide with a retail install on a spare harddrive because like you I am running a hacked install on my main machine (in my case iPC 10.5.6).

I wound up installing the latest chameleon on my main rig, along with all my kexts and was able to update iPC without a problem. Only thing I needed to do when I decided to go with voodoops2 was to remember not only to delete any references from ps2 in my extra/extensions but also from s/l/e since the ipc install places some there.

Once that was done, my iPC install runs just as clean as a retail one ;)

Ok, I'm using your kexts in /Extra/Extension, minus the PS2 controllers cause I installled the voodoops2 in /S/L/E

My 10.5.8 is running very well (wifi+LED, sound+mute, QE/CL ... etc) with just voodooPS2 & voodoo battery in /S/L/E

Do you think with this configuration it will be OK to upgrade to Snow Leopard (I don't need 64b kexts since my CPU is a Core Duo (not Core 2 Duo) but I'd like to have the latest things (Quicktime X) ?

Ok, I'm using your kexts in /Extra/Extension, minus the PS2 controllers cause I installled the voodoops2 in /S/L/E

My 10.5.8 is running very well (wifi+LED, sound+mute, QE/CL ... etc) with just voodooPS2 & voodoo battery in /S/L/E

Do you think with this configuration it will be OK to upgrade to Snow Leopard (I don't need 64b kexts since my CPU is a Core Duo (not Core 2 Duo) but I'd like to have the latest things (Quicktime X) ?

Not sure....haven't tried snow leopard. You may be the guinea pig

Well, I'm getting it from the demon right now, but it's not gonna be here till tomorrow or later... I Will test it on a 10Gb partition I have

(I will do what I did to my main partition : Leopard + VoodooKernel + Custom /Extra/Extensions then install Snow Leopard) but it's gonna take some time so I don't know when I'm gonna post again, and if I will be the first to try SL on a Dell 6400.

Maybe TGD is trying right now

Well, I'm getting it from the demon right now, but it's not gonna be here till tomorrow or later... I Will test it on a 10Gb partition I have

(I will do what I did to my main partition : Leopard + VoodooKernel + Custom /Extra/Extensions then install Snow Leopard) but it's gonna take some time so I don't know when I'm gonna post again, and if I will be the first to try SL on a Dell 6400.

blackosx wrote a good tutorial and there's also a good

. All I know so far is 10a432 is the version that's being release in the dvds, voodoops2 and voodoohda work in 32 and 64 but Chameleon 2 rc2 doesn't work in 64, and gma950 works in snow leopard but I'm not sure about the dell black screen problem or the graphic stuttering problem. I'll try snow leopard soon but I won't use it in 64 because my e1405 with 1.6 Core Duo and 1 GB Ram does not have enough power to do so.

blackosx wrote a good tutorial and there's also a good
. All I know so far is 10a432 is the version that's being release in the dvds, voodoops2 and voodoohda work in 32 and 64 but Chameleon 2 rc2 doesn't work in 64, and gma950 works in snow leopard but I'm not sure about the dell black screen problem. I'll try snow leopard soon but I won't use it in 64 because my e1405 with 1.6 Core Duo and 1 GB Ram does not have enough power to do so.

Well...what I can say is I found the retail disc on some private sites. And apparently, people have done clean installs with it...not just upgrades (at least on real macs) so that may be possible for us.

Hoping my HD retail install method (that I outlined in the sonotone post installer thread) works with this :) and on mbr

looks like you know me too well :D . I have everything ready to try an install this weekend. Just was too busy the last weeks to try. However, I am not attempting an upgrade. I know that this will cause havoc and I am not up for that. It will be a fresh install on a second partition next to 10.5.8. I can move applications over from that to SL if needed.

btw. I was very much hoping not to be the first so I can bypass all the pesty problems :)

looks like you know me too well :D . I have everything ready to try an install this weekend. Just was too busy the last weeks to try. However, I am not attempting an upgrade. I know that this will cause havoc and I am not up for that. It will be a fresh install on a second partition next to 10.5.8. I can move applications over from that to SL if needed.

Keep me updated :) I'll have an ISO (that's right - ISO) of the retail snow leopard to try this with.

Need iso so I can burn on windows as well :)

Keep me updated ;) I'll have an ISO (that's right - ISO) of the retail snow leopard to try this with.

Need iso so I can burn on windows as well :P

well, I tried. I tried both the hacked SL (3.5) as well as retail route. In both cases I end up with KP when I boot into SL. Installation goes fine. I followed the instructions letter by letter. No joy at this point. I will wait until the dust settles. In fact, the source code for a few kexts and maybe kernel have been released, just a matter of a few weeks until we have a custom made SL release...

well, I tried. I tried both the hacked SL (3.5) as well as retail route. In both cases I end up with KP when I boot into SL. Installation goes fine. I followed the instructions letter by letter. No joy at this point. I will wait until the dust settles. In fact, the source code for a few kexts and maybe kernel have been released, just a matter of a few weeks until we have a custom made SL release...

I have an Dell inspiron 6400 running snow leopard retail boot-132 hidden efi partition method. this should work for you

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=182227

Its strange because this is how I would always install 10.5 leopard and i guess its very close to how macs boot up since it works for snow leopard 10.6 as well.

I have an Dell inspiron 6400 running snow leopard retail boot-132 hidden efi partition method. this should work for you

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=182227

Its strange because this is how I would always install 10.5 leopard and i guess its very close to how macs boot up since it works for snow leopard 10.6 as well.

thanks noob, will give this another try.

edit1: well, it worked! cheers noob766 :) !. just in the process of fixing a few things, e.g. no keyboard, resolution...collecting the correct kexts...

more later.

edit2: I am stuck at gma950 resolution. I added the gfx string to com.apple.Boot.plist but it still only allows 1024x768. Any idea noob766? I forced it on boot to go to 1200x800 but still no go. will keep digging. any help appreciated.

I had to add cpus=1 because it would stutter with 2. I guess we have to wait for a fixed kernel. I got everything working otherwise, except the resolution. further scouting...

thanks very much for now...

thanks noob, will give this another try.

edit1: well, it worked! cheers noob766 :D !. just in the process of fixing a few things, e.g. no keyboard, resolution...collecting the correct kexts...

more later.

edit2: I am stuck at gma950 resolution. I added the gfx string to com.apple.Boot.plist but it still only allows 1024x768. Any idea noob766? I forced it on boot to go to 1200x800 but still no go. will keep digging. any help appreciated.

I had to add cpus=1 because it would stutter with 2. I guess we have to wait for a fixed kernel. I got everything working otherwise, except the resolution. further scouting...

thanks very much for now...

did you use this EFI string?

<key>device-properties</key>

<string>6d0000000100000001000000610000000200000002010c00d041030a000000000101060000027

fff0400100000006d006f00640065006c0000000b000000474d412039353020000000410041005000

4c002c00480061007300500061006e0065006c0000000800000001000000</string>

as for the cpu. you can change your computer's bios at boot to have the dual core seen as one

its in performance,

did you use this EFI string?

<key>device-properties</key>

<string>6d0000000100000001000000610000000200000002010c00d041030a000000000101060000027

fff0400100000006d006f00640065006c0000000b000000474d41203935302000000041004100500

4c002c00480061007300500061006e0065006c0000000800000001000000</string>

as for the cpu. you can change your computer's bios at boot to have the dual core seen as one

its in performance,

yep, I got the same string from OSX86tools on my Leopard partition. still no luck..may I ask for your boot.plist to try? Not sure what else to try...

yep, I got the same string from OSX86tools on my Leopard partition. still no luck..

strange because the resolutions are supported in mine, let me see if I can find my old Natit kext.

Can't believe I still have it, toss it into system/library/extensions. and run kext utility.

Natit.kext.zip

I don't think it will make a difference but my graphics string is in the plist in /library/preferences/systemconfiguration/com.apple.boot.plist

Edit- Don't forget to remove the efi string

Edit2 - here is my boot.plist

bootplist.zip