[Guide] Dell Inspiron 6400/9400/1520/1720/E1405/E1505/E1705 Intel Core Duo

devilhood

2,614 posts in this topic

strange because the resolutions are supported in mine, let me see if I can find my old Natit kext.

Can't believe I still have it, toss it into system/library/extensions. and run kext utility.

Natit.kext.zip

I don't think it will make a difference but my graphics string is in the plist in /library/preferences/systemconfiguration/com.apple.boot.plist

Edit- Don't forget to remove the efi string

Edit2 - here is my boot.plist

bootplist.zip

thank you so much for your help. made sure I also have boot.plist in L/Pref/SysConfig. didn't make a difference. removed efi string and tried natit, still the same. our boot.plist is identical except mine has cpus=1.

strange...

thank you so much for your help. made sure I also have boot.plist in L/Pref/SysConfig. didn't make a difference. removed efi string and tried natit, still the same. our boot.plist is identical except mine has cpus=1.

strange...

Is this what your computer has?

00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/PM/GMS, 943/940GML and 945GT Express Memory Controller Hub [8086:27a0] (rev 03)

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:27a2] (rev 03)

00:02.1 Display controller [0380]: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:27a6] (rev 03)

Is this what your computer has?

00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/PM/GMS, 943/940GML and 945GT Express Memory Controller Hub [8086:27a0] (rev 03)

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:27a2] (rev 03)

00:02.1 Display controller [0380]: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:27a6] (rev 03)

this is what it shows:

Chipset Model:	GMA 950
 Type:	GPU
 Bus:	Built-In
 VRAM (Total):	64 MB of Shared System Memory
 Vendor:	Intel (0x8086)
 Device ID:	0x27a2
 Revision ID:	0x0003
 Kernel Extension Info:	No Kext Loaded
 Displays:
Display:
 Resolution:	1024 x 768
 Pixel Depth:	32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
 Main Display:	Yes
 Mirror:	Off
 Online:	Yes

clearly, it doesn't want to load a kext for it. also strange is that my drives are not showing on the desktop and double clicking the window top doesn't minimize (clicking the minimize button will work fine).

this is what it shows:

Kernel Extension Info:	No Kext Loaded
 Displays:
Display:
 Resolution:	1024 x 768

clearly, it doesn't want to load a kext for it. also strange is that my drives are not showing on the desktop and double clicking the window top doesn't minimize (clicking the minimize button will work fine).

Oh For some reason snow leopard has them default hidden, click finder, preferences, and check hard disks.

Intel GMA 950:

Displays:
Display:
 Resolution:	1280 x 800
 Built-In:	Yes
Display Connector:

is how mine reads. that is very strange that it happened to you... its like you are missing the apple vanilla kexts.

here they are. maybe it will fix it.

Intel_Stock_Kexts_10_6.zip

Oh For some reason snow leopard has them default hidden, click finder, preferences, and check hard disks.

is how mine reads. that is very strange that it happened to you... its like you are missing the apple vanilla kexts.

here they are. maybe it will fix it.

Intel_Stock_Kexts_10_6.zip

we got identical hardware, frustrating. thanks, will try these as well. just to make sure I got all the necessary kexts in extra/extensions on the efi partition. this is what mine shows:

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

fakesmc.kext

AHCIPortInjector.kext

OpenHaltResart.kext

edit1: your intel kexts didn't do it either :D (as expected). my first lines from PCI Device/Vendor ID are posted a few posts above. I will post entire list tomorrow (already 5am here, time for bed). thanks for helping!

we got identical hardware, frustrating. thanks, will try these as well. just to make sure I got all the necessary kexts in extra/extensions on the efi partition. this is what mine shows:

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

fakesmc.kext

AHCIPortInjector.kext

OpenHaltResart.kext

Mine only has

fakesmc.kext

OpenHaltResart.kext

in it but that shouldn't cause this problem.

Keep me updated :) I'll have an ISO (that's right - ISO) of the retail snow leopard to try this with.

Need iso so I can burn on windows as well :)

well as you can see I was able to install it but I am having issues with gfx. Everything else works perfect though. I will start from scratch and see if I missed a byte somewhere...

edit 1: I think I have a bad dmg. getting another one and will retry. I know it works. and with noob's instructions easy to do.

thanks

Finally got my 9400 working perfect except only single core :'( but ill wait for it

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1242861

thanks, will try your method of deleting the gma950 kexts and see if that works.

so, it seems that you go to the same point I got with problems for gma950?? that would mean my dmg file is OK after all. I had it just verified a few times, no errors. will do this in the next few hours and hopefully your trick of deleting them and re-applying them will work.

thanks

i thought there could be errors in the 950 also as when i tried to get them back Pacifist kept saying they were bad.. IDK why but i just did them one at a time and was good to go. After putting them in there i ran that Kext Utility app and everything is good now hope it helps you out

i thought there could be errors in the 950 also as when i tried to get them back Pacifist kept saying they were bad.. IDK why but i just did them one at a time and was good to go. After putting them in there i ran that Kext Utility app and everything is good now hope it helps you out

nope, didn't work either. I am giving up for now :) everything else works like a charm (except cpus=1, which we know). If I delete the gma kexts and framebuffer my stystem still boots with notebook monitor. Same problem when I add them back with kextutil. It doesn't seem to even know that they are there (hence the hardware is listed with kext not loaded). somehow my gma950 is not recognized at all.

very strange...

ah well, sure there will be a fix for me soon.

mine kept trying to use the laptop but i figured out i needed to hit FN F8 while in my bios screen then i used a kernel flag of Graphics Mode=1024x768x32 i had dual core turned off in bios and after it booted i deleted the kexts and plugins right after my install to make sure the didnt get cached at all been running all day now with no problems except quicktime X stutters and crashes sometimes

my install was like this

couldnt boot the dvd so installed off dvd from leopard install

Deleted the intel kexts from terminal

installed the bootloader like noob said

only used fakesmc NullCPU and OpenHaltRestart

rebooted and hit fn F8 to use my external VGA monitor

first boot with -x32 -v Graphics Mode=1024x768x32

went through the setup

used pacifist to get gma kexts and plugins from dvd - had to make sure they were all there took a couple times pacifist was acting strange

ran the kext utility app for snow leopard

set up a sleep corner for expose

added the efi string to boot plist and the kernel flags -v -x32

rebooted and used the sleep corner it was all ok

installed the 3 voodoo kexts i use PS2 HDA and SDHC

ran the kext utility and rebooted just to be safe

everything now works just like leopard :)

Finally....

mine kept trying to use the laptop but i figured out i needed to hit FN F8 while in my bios screen then i used a kernel flag of Graphics Mode=1024x768x32 i had dual core turned off in bios and after it booted i deleted the kexts and plugins right after my install to make sure the didnt get cached at all been running all day now with no problems except quicktime X stutters and crashes sometimes

just to make sure I follow you.

Deleted the intel kexts from terminal you deleted the intel gma drivers from the installation source before installing? Then after installation you added them back? interesting.

should of said it better :P i deleted them right after the install using terminal as root so not to screw any permissions up so on first boot it was forced to use the vesa drivers

ahh, ok, makes sense. another way may be to boot into Leopard, delete them then boot into the freshly installed SL. will try it your way now.

have Leopard 10.5.8, SL Install and SL on one disk. Just a matter of time when I get this darn thing working, haha. GMA was always behaving nasty for us.

In the meantime I am a master at installing retail disks -_-

ahh, ok, makes sense. another way may be to boot into Leopard, delete them then boot into the freshly installed SL. will try it your way now.

have Leopard 10.5.8, SL Install and Leopard on one disk. Just a matter of time when I get this darn thing working, haha.

In the meantime I am a master at installing retail disks :P

Well you got me beat i havent figured out installing the retail disk yet i installed from 10.5 off the dvd and installed the efi boot im going to try the boot 132 disk as i dont have a big enough USB stick

Well you got me beat i havent figured out installing the retail disk yet i installed from 10.5 off the dvd and installed the efi boot im going to try the boot 132 disk as i dont have a big enough USB stick

you got a working 10.6 system, why would you want to try something else? ;)

you are saying that you started the SL install from within Leopard 10.5.x? I thought about that as well but thought it wouldn't work because nobody was doing it.... let me know

yes i have 10.5 on a external drive i boot and use i have a retail snow disk i ran OSInstall.mpkg installed it to my internal drive that was freshly formated to GUID and after the instal i installed the cham rc2 efi with the modded boot file then deleted all the GMA kexts and the framebuffer and works all ok so far ;)

have Leopard 10.5.8, SL Install and SL on one disk. Just a matter of time when I get this darn thing working, haha. GMA was always behaving nasty for us.

In the meantime I am a master at installing retail disks :(

ok, I think this has to do with kernel and core2duo. the people I've seen to get it to work have core duos or solos. No matter what I do, it will not recognize my gma950. waiting for modded kernel anyway since only ONE core works at the moment.

yes i have 10.5 on a external drive i boot and use i have a retail snow disk i ran OSInstall.mpkg installed it to my internal drive that was freshly formated to GUID and after the instal i installed the cham rc2 efi with the modded boot file then deleted all the GMA kexts and the framebuffer and works all ok so far :(

posted a guide to make a boot-132 cd at the bottom of this link http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=182227

also the iso I made should work for you guys

OSXLOADER.iso.zip

I tried everything, including these. I am pretty certain it has to do with core2duo 64bit. everybody who got it to work has core duo or core solo. Please show me one person who has c2d and got it to work...

waiting for a fix...

thanks all. for now SL at 1024x768. Those of you who have core solo or core duo should have no problems, even better without the dreaded gma950.. Use noob's guide and you are golden.

I tried everything, including these. I am pretty certain it has to do with core2duo 64bit. everybody who got it to work has core duo or core solo. Please show me one person who has c2d and got it to work...

waiting for a fix...

thanks all. for now SL at 1024x768. Those of you who have core solo or core duo should have no problems, even better without the dreaded gma950.. Use noob's guide and you are golden.

From what i understand the intel graphics drivers are ONLY 32bit to be honest thre not written in 64bit yet sadly i didnt even think to mention that

From what i understand the intel graphics drivers are ONLY 32bit to be honest thre not written in 64bit yet sadly i didnt even think to mention that

yeah, I am aware of that :wacko: . hoping to see a fix. some kexts showing up in the other thread, but nothing working so far.

btw. I got Leo10.5.8 working under vmware without flaws. Running it under Windows 7 64bit. Everything working, including sound, ethernet, 2cores, 2Gb Ram (I could give it more), shared folders with host, autoresolution (res changes when changing window). Not long and I will do the same with SL once it's possible. Runs very nicely in fact. Some of you may be interested. Here is a great guide by Donk. Here is an image of my desktop. That same vmware image also runs nicely on my Inspiron under Windows 7 :unsure: