[Guide] Dell Inspiron 6400/9400/1520/1720/E1405/E1505/E1705 Intel Core Duo

devilhood

2,614 posts in this topic

I made the mistake of running the combo updater. I have currently lost my sound and usb (that I know of). I haven't looked the setup of the hackbook for about six months now - so i guess I will need to start reading to work out what I need to do to fix this... Fun times ahead.

So hows the transition to 10.5.7 been people? I haven't made the jump yet.

Still running on the ipc 10.5.6 disc using pcefi_9.

Anyone try that config yet? Any known issues?

Hey all. I got everything works except for sound and graphics.

I used tbcarey's updated 10.5.6 applehda when I had 10.5.6 which worked flawlessly (except for reinserting headphones every time I boot) but it did not work when I updated to 10.5.7. Both AppleHDA and HDAEnabler extensions were not loaded according to the System Profiler. I did reinstall the kexts but that did not help. I reverted to the old AppleHDA and ALCInject for the 9400 which worked fine and loaded according to the System Profiler but I would like to update to the new 10.5.6 sound kexts to be able to hear sound from my headphones.

I also am using the old AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext (version 1.4.20) supplied by iATKOS_5i distro. I reinstalled it after updating to 10.5.7 and it works fine except it has mouse artifacts. Does anyone have a newer AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext that does not have mouse artifacts? I had mouse artifacts since I installed iATKOS 10.5.5 on my laptop but I was wondering if there is a way to get rid of the artifacts.

I've searched on InsanelyMac and Google for help for both problems but can not find an answer. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hey all. I got everything works except for sound and graphics.

I also am using the old AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext (version 1.4.20) supplied by iATKOS_5i distro. I reinstalled it after updating to 10.5.7 and it works fine except it has mouse artifacts. Does anyone have a newer AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext that does not have mouse artifacts? I had mouse artifacts since I installed iATKOS 10.5.5 on my laptop but I was wondering if there is a way to get rid of the artifacts.

I've searched on InsanelyMac and Google for help for both problems but can not find an answer. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

look up my posts on the gma950 mouse artifact issues, lots of info how to get rid of it. sorry, I am too tired to explain again.. The bottom line is: do not use an old framebuffer kext or you get mouse artifacts

So hows the transition to 10.5.7 been people? I haven't made the jump yet.

Still running on the ipc 10.5.6 disc using pcefi_9.

Anyone try that config yet? Any known issues?

come on. I thought I was wearing you down by now and you bit the bullet ;-) . I am still running my retail 10.5.6 and I am happy with it. No reason to update. In addition, I am enjoying Windows 7 at the moment so much more that I only use OSX for file compatibility reasons or video encoding that is smoother than on windows.

good luck.

btw. if you upgrade follow netkas' instructions. should be safe....

come on. I thought I was wearing you down by now and you bit the bullet ;-) .

I pretty much decided the same unless someone here noticed a big difference. The ipc install was nice and easy and I see no reason to upgrade unless of something significant.

I still haven't installed Windows 7, but I have played with it on others. It does look pretty nice :) Nice to know that someone that loves OS X likes it enough to spend more time in it than Mac.

Hi Guys,

I just reinstalled my whole system back up to 10.5.6, which is the same 6400 from this post. Everything is back to perfection, i even have sleep now. I just can't seem to find the fix which brings the screen back to life on reboot, i have to do the expose trick each time. When i had this issue on 10.5.5, i installed some fix which woke the screen up, thought maybe it was from Sonotones installer, but its not there. And it definitley was not one of those sleep.app tricks either, i think it was a kext solution.

TGD or anyone else got any ideas?

Hi Guys,

I just reinstalled my whole system back up to 10.5.6, which is the same 6400 from this post. Everything is back to perfection, i even have sleep now. I just can't seem to find the fix which brings the screen back to life on reboot, i have to do the expose trick each time. When i had this issue on 10.5.5, i installed some fix which woke the screen up, thought maybe it was from Sonotones installer, but its not there. And it definitley was not one of those sleep.app tricks either, i think it was a kext solution.

TGD or anyone else got any ideas?

the script is indeed in sonotone's installer. Specifically, it is embedded in the gma950 fix. it contains the grafx kexts and the script. you may be able to extract it from the installer using pacifist.

I pretty much decided the same unless someone here noticed a big difference. The ipc install was nice and easy and I see no reason to upgrade unless of something significant.

I still haven't installed Windows 7, but I have played with it on others. It does look pretty nice :whistle: Nice to know that someone that loves OS X likes it enough to spend more time in it than Mac.

it runs very nicely on the E1505, all hardware detected without problems., I am back to windows almost 100%. I open OSX maybe once every other month or so.

it runs very nicely on the E1505, all hardware detected without problems., I am back to windows almost 100%. I open OSX maybe once every other month or so.

Wow...microsoft got one right?!?!?! Color me impressed. Now if I can just get the Ex GF to ask her father to get me a legit copy of ultimate when its released. He's a biggie over at MS. My copy of Vista Ultimate is legit :) Cost me 40 (for both the 32 and the 64 bit at the same time)

look up my posts on the gma950 mouse artifact issues, lots of info how to get rid of it. sorry, I am too tired to explain again.. The bottom line is: do not use an old framebuffer kext or you get mouse artifacts

Thanks for the help TheGreatDeceiver. I reinstall 10.5.7 framebuffer kext and eliminate mouse artifacts! The only problem is my laptop display is not detected. I tried the hot corner trick but it work only for the external monitor I connected to the laptop. I will continue my search on insanelymac. Thanks again!

Thanks for the help TheGreatDeceiver. I reinstall 10.5.7 framebuffer kext and eliminate mouse artifacts! The only problem is my laptop display is not detected. I tried the hot corner trick but it work only for the external monitor I connected to the laptop. I will continue my search on insanelymac. Thanks again!

odd, must be something else interfering with your kexts, possible some graphics strings in your com.apple.boot.plist? I suggest you delete all your gma kexts and reinstall them with kexthelper. check your boot.plist and make sure nothing strange is in there. Maybe sth new with 10.5.7 kexts. try the entire 10.5.6 graphic kext set instead.

Hello all! I've updated my Dell Inspiron 9400 with iPC 10.5.6 to 10.5.7 via Software Update and all working, but I can't activate both Cores.

I've used the kernel compiled 10.5.7 from here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=117558

I've installed it via terminal:

"sudo mv mach_kernel mach_kernel.old"

"sudo mv ~/Desktop/mach_kernel ./mach_kernel"

"sudo chmod 755 mach_kernel"

"sudo chmod root:wheel mach_kernel"

I've added

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-tscsync</string>

to apple.boot.list

But I only can boot with cpu=1. ¿What can I do?

P.D. ¿Why I can't see the match_kernel file in the Finder window?

EDITED: Bad news. I've tried to install the patched kernel usin osxtools and now my osx does't load! it stays in the darwin loader. I've tried with -x, -s, -f and nothing!

I've tried to write "match_kernel.backup" (created by osxtools) and nothing!!

¿Must I reinstall my osx?

EDITED: I reinstalled iPC 10.5.6, applied the apple update (offline), and then reinstalled the 2cores kernel patch 10.5.7 with osxtools and now works!!

... but now I have an issue with the sleep function: it makes a deep sleep, when I try to wake up, the system doesn't wake at all. I must press the power button, power on system, and it says: hibernate on, wake up!! and the system restores. I've tried "sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0" but the same result.

How can I activate the simple sleep method (or de-activate deep sleep)?

Another question: why sometimes the DVD drive (without any media inside) turns on for a second?

EDITED!!!!: Following these steps http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,257.0.html I HAVE 2 FINGER SCROLLING in my synaptic touchpad!! I CANT BELIEVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!

odd, must be something else interfering with your kexts, possible some graphics strings in your com.apple.boot.plist? I suggest you delete all your gma kexts and reinstall them with kexthelper. check your boot.plist and make sure nothing strange is in there. Maybe sth new with 10.5.7 kexts. try the entire 10.5.6 graphic kext set instead.

I tried reinstalling the gma kexts and it did not work. My boot.plist doesn't have anything strange either. I read somewhere on the forums about darwin950 kexts but I can't find the files anywhere. My gma device id is 0x27a2 and am not sure if that is the cause. I revert back to the old framebuffer kext. I also can not see my laptop information under the system profiler hardware tab: "There was an error while gathering this information." Is my smbios the cause for the profiler and video problem?

Dell E1705 here, updated to 10.5.7 and had to redo some of the kexts like audio, seatbelt, etc. But one thing I cannot fix is the System Profiler, it says "There was an error while gathering this information" under the Hardware tab when it first comes up. Any way to fix it?

Dell E1705 here, updated to 10.5.7 and had to redo some of the kexts like audio, seatbelt, etc. But one thing I cannot fix is the System Profiler, it says "There was an error while gathering this information" under the Hardware tab when it first comes up. Any way to fix it?

Maybe you need to change your applesmbios.kext?

Which distro are you using? I'm using iPC 10.5.6, upgraded and all working. EDIT: I have the same issue (using smbiosresolver.kext + applesmbios.kext original 10.5.7), but my hardware loads fast and well. EDIT: I solved it using SMBIOSefi instead of SMBIOSresolver.

. My only unsolved issue is that i can't change the hibernate mode to (S0), i'm allways in (S3) (BTW it works brilliant!! (I gone to sleep, the light is flashing, I unplug the AC, restart and loads soccesfully the hibernate image)

But my worst issue is about sound: Today isn't impossible to make work both internal SubWoffer and line out!!!! (or I'm wrong?)

Another question: Is impossible to make work screen sleep with 7900GS GO? (exacly "screen awake) Is definitive? Any alternative like disabling the light screen? (I've tried a screensaver that it says turns the screen on black and disables the light, but doesn't work (light is enabled) I don't like to spend energy with my screen always on...

About the 7900gs go, anyone knows the correct NVCAP values to get VGA OUT? EDITED: WORKING with default NVCAP values + mobility.kext!!!

mmm... How can I use only external monitor?

Another issue: "Gather Windows" option doesn't work well. I only can see the image in one screen. In the other I only can see the mouse pointer.

I don't have the LaptopDisplay.kext installed. Must I install it? For what is it? (I have ipc 10.5.6 updated to 10.5.7) EDIT: Installed and working, but I don't know for what it it...

Otre issue detected: when I press the shortcut "Fn + F8" (toggle between screen modes in Windows) the system crashes.

I just installed 10.5.6 on my Dell Inspiron 9400 and I have no wifi. I decided to change my Intel 3945 with a better wifi card, but I dont know which one to choose. To be a PCI or PCIe card? Please take a look here and makeme a recomandation. Dell Wifi Cards for laptops. Sorry, is in spanish beacouse Im living in spain. I dont have 103€ to spend for a wifi card but in the 35€ range I can buy one. Thanks.

I used tbcarey's updated 10.5.6 applehda when I had 10.5.6 which worked flawlessly (except for reinserting headphones every time I boot) but it did not work when I updated to 10.5.7. Both AppleHDA and HDAEnabler extensions were not loaded according to the System Profiler. I did reinstall the kexts but that did not help. I reverted to the old AppleHDA and ALCInject for the 9400 which worked fine and loaded according to the System Profiler but I would like to update to the new 10.5.6 sound kexts to be able to hear sound from my headphones.

Same issue here. I can't load these drivers. I get this:

Jun 5 04:23:21 localhost kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 == pathMap_aDriverInstance" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-162.1.37/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 1327 goto Exit

Jun 5 04:23:21 localhost kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 != createAudioEngines ( fPathMap_aDriverInstance )" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-162.1.37/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 127 goto Exit

Jun 5 04:23:21 localhost kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 == pathMap_aDriverInstance" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-162.1.37/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 1327 goto Exit

Jun 5 04:23:21 localhost kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 != createAudioEngines ( fPathMap_aDriverInstance )" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-162.1.37/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 127 goto Exit

¿Anyone knows a full i9400 (aka 1705) sound solution (Subwoofer+line out) for 10.5.7?

This is my worst problem with 10.5.7

I just installed 10.5.6 on my Dell Inspiron 9400 and I have no wifi. I decided to change my Intel 3945 with a better wifi card, but I dont know which one to choose. To be a PCI or PCIe card? Please take a look here and makeme a recomandation. Dell Wifi Cards for laptops. Sorry, is in spanish beacouse Im living in spain. I dont have 103€ to spend for a wifi card but in the 35€ range I can buy one. Thanks.

I am using a dell wireless 1505 draft n card....works great. And shows up as an airport card....no special kexts needed :thumbsup_anim:

Here it is on ebay..... about 30-40 dollars http://shop.ebay.com/items/?_nkw=dell+wire...d&_osacat=0

Hi. I come with some news about sleep display.

There's still no proper fix for this, but i've noticed when you change resolution, desktop come back.

So, i wrote a mini script witch work with cscreen (12kb).

open the script with script editor, then enter your max screen resolution. Save it as application bundle (no startup screen)

Copy cscreen in /usr/bin/

Then, copy the script in the applescript folder (/library/scripts/)

now you need an app to launch the script from keyboard shortcut.

i use "fastscripts lite" (http://www.red-sweater.com/fastscripts/) but there' also "spark" ...etc

attached files: script and cscreen

sleepdisplay_script.zip

Hi. I come with some news about sleep display.

There's still no proper fix for this, but i've noticed when you change resolution, desktop come back.

So, i wrote a mini script witch work with cscreen (12kb).

open the script with script editor, then enter your max screen resolution. Save it as application bundle (no startup screen)

Copy cscreen in /usr/bin/

Then, copy the script in the applescript folder (/library/scripts/)

now you need an app to launch the script from keyboard shortcut.

i use "fastscripts lite" (http://www.red-sweater.com/fastscripts/) but there' also "spark" ...etc

attached files: script and cscreen

WORKS!!! AWESOME!!!! FANTASTIC!!! Sleep display working!!!!

Thanks, Sonotone, thank you very much from Spain!!!!!!!

(I couldn't copy cscreen by terminal to /usr/bin/ folder (typing cp -r /cscreen /usr/bin/), but I used this method to make the folder visible in the finder.)

It's possible to make another script for switch between laptop display > external display? If I press "Fn-F8" the system crashes in my Dell Inspiron 9400.

Same issue here. I can't load these drivers. I get this:

¿Anyone knows a full i9400 (aka 1705) sound solution (Subwoofer+line out) for 10.5.7?

This is my worst problem with 10.5.7

VoodooHDA works great on my laptop. I don't bother with looking for specific patches anymore. Unfortunately I still can't get my display to work properly. That and sleep is the only problem I have with my hackintosh but I am starting to think both problems are a lost cause.

VoodooHDA works great on my laptop. I don't bother with looking for specific patches anymore. Unfortunately I still can't get my display to work properly. That and sleep is the only problem I have with my hackintosh but I am starting to think both problems are a lost cause.

Thanks for your reply, but I've tried VoodooHDA and doesn't enable subwoofer and sound is worst than other solutions.

Anyone knows why "pmset -g" shows me that I'm with battery but i'm in AC? how can I fix that? (iPC 10.5.6 Universal PPF5 updated to 10.5.7 via apple delta upgrade - kernel dual core fix - vanilla appleacpiplatform.kext 10.5.7 (only 3 plugins inside) - vanilla powermanagement.bundle 10.5.7 - No AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement).

On my E1505, after updating the system to 10.5.7, I lost sound (I previously had the plug in headphones solution). Since I lost the sound, I decided to install a bunch of drivers from the Sonotone 1.4.1 repaired permissions and when I rebooted, the keyboard and trackpad stopped working and I had a kext error. So I had to get an external keyboard and mouse so I reinstalled the previous kext (Sonotone 1.4.1 created a convenient backup in the extensions folder). Obviously I had repaired permisions, but after further installs, I have gotten better results installing just one driver with Sonotone at a time.

The reason to this post, is to share the fact that while I lost my keyboard and trackpad, and unlike other posters, the sleep started working flawlessly. When I close the lid, the computer goes to sleep and, when I open it, it comes back from sleep and everything works. I am using the nVidia 7300 Go Card, not just the standard Intel integrated graphics.

The sound got repaired with the Sonotone 1.4.1 driver for Sigmatel 9200, but I had to reinstall it separatelly, because I did it the first time, when I installed a bunch of drivers, but the sound did not work. I should add the fact that I don't have to plug and unplug the headphones everytime I restart the laptop.

Unfortunately, updating to 10.5.7 made my Dell E1505 crash everytime I try to mount a disk image, anybody has a solution to this? Your help is appreciated....

that has to do with seatbelt.kext . you probably need to use the one from 10.5.6.

Thank you for your prompt response. I updated to 10.5.7 and had disk mounting problems. Since my Voodoo Kernel is the 9.5, I used the one from 10.5.5 version. I installed it with Kext Helper b7, rebooted and worked with no problems. I downloaded it using Firefox just like I do everytime I deal with Kexts. Safari now does all kind of stuff to mess with your downloaded kexts...

The link to the thread with further instructions and the kext can be found here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=148566

It's possible to make another script for switch between laptop display > external display? If I press "Fn-F8" the system crashes in my Dell Inspiron 9400.

look at the cscreen help for options (in terminal, type usr/bin/cscreen -h )

the command to switch menubar is:

cscreen -s2 -p

2 or 1, depending your screen configuration. s2 works for me to switch menu bar between screens.

so the script should be something like that:

tell application "Finder"
do shell script "cscreen -s2 -p"
end tell

AFAIK, the fn+f8 has no equivalent in osx, it only works in vesa mode (means no drivers).