[Guide] Dell Inspiron 6400/9400/1520/1720/E1405/E1505/E1705 Intel Core Duo

devilhood

2,614 posts in this topic

Ok i will try with disk utility tonight.

Actually, my second core is activated, but i boot with cpus=1 (else UI lag as I say)

Maybe an other problem, but in "About this Mac", is say 1GHZ processor, maybe its a power save issue ?

Where I can see my boot file list ?

Ok i will try with disk utility tonight.

Actually, my second core is activated, but i boot with cpus=1 (else UI lag as I say)

Maybe an other problem, but in "About this Mac", is say 1GHZ processor, maybe its a power save issue ?

Where I can see my boot file list ?

please list your complete hardware specs so we can follow your problems (we know you have an nvidia go, but that's it). I don't have my E1505 anymore. I do remember I was able to install iAtkos (same version you got). There are no graphic card drivers for 64bit that I am aware of and you should force the system to boot in 32bit with

<key>arch</key>

<string>i386</string>

in your com.apple.boot.plist. My gma950 only worked correctly if I had its efi string in com.apple.boot.plist present under <key>device-properties</key>. This may be the same for nvidia. you need to find people here who have the nvidia card for specific help on that.

the core issue is related to kernel, or efi version, or it could also be power saving issue. I often had problems when AppleIntelCPUManagement.kext was present and OK after removing it. That however is always lagging irrespective of CPU settings. Can't imagine that the kernel is wrong with iAtkos install. It sounds like your tscsync isn't installed correctly. Remove it and reinstall it, use kexthelper to install.

other things to try. if you installed VoodooPower or Battery kexts, try to remove them. Always, always try minimum of kexts when installing a release (iAtkos).

which web browser are you using? did you try firefox?

btw.: using diskutility may give you some space but won't solve any of your problems.

I have do a fresh installation with this kext/patch :

* CHAMELEONV2RC4

* 32BIT-BOOT

* EXTRA DIRECTORY

* FAKESMC

* DISABLER

* RTC

* EVOREBOOT

* VOODOOHDA

* VOODOOPS2

* VOODOO-PSTATE

* VOODOO BATTERY

* VOODOO SDHC

* VOODOO TSCSYNC

* NTFS-3G

* NVENABLER

* BMC440X

The issue come from the VoodooPower, now I have Voodoo P-STATE, and processor is at 2ghz and 2 core are enabled. Sleep work but I'm enable to wake-up it, sleepenalber from iatkos give me KP. I will try with a new version and, if everything works, I will do a HOW-TO :)

And, this is my configuration, Dell E1705 (9400)

• Intel T2500 2.0GHz Core Duo
  • 2048mb RAM
  • Nvidia 7900 GO GS
  • Intel 3945 wifi
  • Broadcom 440X ethernet

EDIT : well, I configure/test my new installation, run very nice with two core and with speedstep. But, when i install the driver of my F5D7050V3 (USB(RT257X/RT2671/RT2500 with 10.6.x support), when I reboot my mouse is extremely lagging ! And now, I disable the second core, no more lag...maybe this driver corrupt my installation ?

The issue come from the VoodooPower, now I have Voodoo P-STATE, and processor is at 2ghz and 2 core are enabled. Sleep work but I'm enable to wake-up it, sleepenalber from iatkos give me KP. I will try with a new version and, if everything works, I will do a HOW-TO :)

EDIT : well, I configure/test my new installation, run very nice with two core and with speedstep. But, when i install the driver of my F5D7050V3 (USB(RT257X/RT2671/RT2500 with 10.6.x support), when I reboot my mouse is extremely lagging ! And now, I disable the second core, no more lag...maybe this driver corrupt my installation ?

you got an intel wireless. not sure why the ralink should work unless you are trying an external USB adapter? congrats on figuring out it was the voodoopower that caused havoc. (at least I had it in my list of possible culprits :) ). I can't help you with sleep on nvidia. hopefully somebody else can help you.

good luck

Yes I have a Intel 3945, but no kext for it (only alpha, work with no-encryption access point...), so I got a Broadcom F5D7050B (work greatly on 10.5), but now, on 10.6, since I install the driver (10.6 compatible), the lag re-appear, and if i disable multi-core, it disappear.... So the driver has probably broke the voodootscsync ?

In fast, sleep work...but I'm enable to wake (deep sleep) ^^', this is issue is not so important.

So, if you can't do anything for my second core now, its not so bad :rolleyes:

And, as promised, I will do a How-to and video in the newt days :P

EDIT : will try now if I can update to the last version, first .4 then .5 and finally .6, normally nothing to do or ?

EDIT2 : I don't believe that, i've sucessfully install 10.6.4 and 10.6.5 without any problem =D I will try 10.6.6 tomorow

EDIT3 : 10.6.6 install without any problem =D really happy.

EDIT4 : Delete voodootscsync.kext from /Extra/Extension and reinstall it with KextHelper, reboot and finally done =) So now, maybe a solution for sleep ? Sleepenabler ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wondering if anyone had any suggestions or solutions on one of the final problems to fix in my near perfect HacBook Pro (Dell Inspiron 6400 with the Intel Integrated GMA950 Graphics card) running OS X 10.6.6.

As many other people are having difficulty with, I'm having difficulty with it resuming from sleep (hibernatemode 1 - aka a proper hibernate, not sleep really). I power on the laptop, the Chameleon Bootloader appears, then the gray progess bar appears, not apple logo (which means it's resuming from a hibernate image) and then it switches back to chameleon for a brief second with the message "Wake Kernel!" then I come to a black screen with my mouse cursor. It's essentially frozen.

If I move the mouse, it moves the cursor moves a tiny bit, but not very far. One time it actually displayed the password screen it should have when it wakes from sleep, but again, the mouse didn't move properly (again, just small bits at a time), the keyboard didn't work and eventually moving my mouse over a button and clicking it did nothing.

So as you can see, I'm close - it's not Kernel Panicing, The display is resuming properly, it's just slowing down to such a point that it's basically unresponsive.

Any suggestions, solutions?

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I have a fully working Hackintosh with 10.6.7 (used iaktos S3V2).

Wifi didn't work (Intel 3945), so I use a USB dongle F5D7050V3 from Belkin, fully working with Ralink software and driver.

But, yesterday, I saw that my NIC (BCM440) drop connection after some minutes, the solution was to add max_valid_dma_addr=1024 in kernel flag, and now ethernet work perfectly.

But, today, at school, the wifi didn't work anymore, I can connect to the AP, but didn't receive IP from the DHCP, I got self-assigned IP = / And, when I manually enter the IP information, nothing work.

The AP use WPA-PSK with TKIP.

Strange thing, i can connect and receive IP if I use a wifi (FreeWIFI in France).

Firstly, I try to remove the max_valid_dma_addr=1024 from kernel flag, but same thing, can't receive IP

Secondly, I try to remove and reinstall the driver but nothing new =$

Did you have a solution ?

I think if I use the command max_valid_dma_addr= with default value, maybe it should work, but I didn't know wich value is ...

• 3 weeks later...
Wondering if anyone had any suggestions or solutions on one of the final problems to fix in my near perfect HacBook Pro (Dell Inspiron 6400 with the Intel Integrated GMA950 Graphics card) running OS X 10.6.6.

As many other people are having difficulty with, I'm having difficulty with it resuming from sleep (hibernatemode 1 - aka a proper hibernate, not sleep really). I power on the laptop, the Chameleon Bootloader appears, then the gray progess bar appears, not apple logo (which means it's resuming from a hibernate image) and then it switches back to chameleon for a brief second with the message "Wake Kernel!" then I come to a black screen with my mouse cursor. It's essentially frozen.

If I move the mouse, it moves the cursor moves a tiny bit, but not very far. One time it actually displayed the password screen it should have when it wakes from sleep, but again, the mouse didn't move properly (again, just small bits at a time), the keyboard didn't work and eventually moving my mouse over a button and clicking it did nothing.

So as you can see, I'm close - it's not Kernel Panicing, The display is resuming properly, it's just slowing down to such a point that it's basically unresponsive.

Any suggestions, solutions?

I have an Inspiron 1720 and it can sleep in hibernatemode 1 without the problem you describe. I have the GMAX3100 video, which is GMA965, not 950. For me, my sleep problems came from the VoodooHDA.kext, but that just made the laptop wake from sleep as soon as I put it to sleep. You can try some different versions of the 950 kexts, but I would also check your DSDT against someone with the GMA950 that does not have sleep issues.

By the way, it seems to be recognizing my hard drive however it will not show up on my finder or desktop or anything. I don't really have any other external hardware i could test the port with.

It does seem to be showing up, just not functioning fully i guess. Like i said im trying to get my hard drive working with firewire 400/ the 1394 port (which i think is a ricoh, ive seen other people report it working)

beyond that im looking to get a new audio interface (focusrite saffire) and wanna be sure firewire works before i do

• 4 weeks later...

I have a Dell inspiron 9400 running SL 10.6.7 with everything working. The Inspiron 9400 has the NVidia GeForce 7800 with two external graphics card connectors (DVI and VGA).

I am able to run the built-in laptop screen and extend the desktop to the VGA port (I have two Dell 1600x1200 monitors attached). The monitor attached to the DVI port is not recognized.

Question now is how to use two external monitors instead of the built-in screen+one external monitor.

In Windows XP you can use Fn F8 to switch screens and choose either internal+DVI, internal+VGA or DVI+VGA, but in SL pressing Fn F8 this will hang the system.

Anyway suggestions on how to get this system to run on two external monitors?

• 4 weeks later...
is it possible to update to 10.6.8

I have this problems after the update:

- Very lag system

- My ATI X1400 stopped working @ fullres (1920x1200x32)

- My Wifi stopped working (Dell 1390)

The system boots ok.

Didn't had time to try to fix that issues.

EDIT: Wifi and lag system solved ... trying to fix que VGA.

Regards.

Hi, I have an Inspiron 1720 C2D 2ghz with 2gb ram with Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT (3.5 years old). I am running SL 10.6.8 after an initial install of iATKOS S3 v2. (running 32 bit)

I have 2 issues I would like to resolve if possible. First of all when I shut down the power does not go off, I have to manually hold the power button down to power off the laptop. Has anyone come up with a fix for this yet?

Secondly the onboard wireless is not recognised Intel 3945ABG, I know a kext existed for it but with no wep/security support. Is there a fully working kext for this yet?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello. I've been searching for quite a while but have not be able to confirm whether or not Dual-Core cpu's are supported on the Dell Inspiron 6400. I have both cores recognized on 10.6.6, but it looks like only one is being used. I'd really appreciate it if someone could tell me the most up to date answer for this. I keep finding old outdated information :)

Thanks!

Hello. I've been searching for quite a while but have not be able to confirm whether or not Dual-Core cpu's are supported on the Dell Inspiron 6400. I have both cores recognized on 10.6.6, but it looks like only one is being used. I'd really appreciate it if someone could tell me the most up to date answer for this. I keep finding old outdated information :(

Thanks!

yes.. use voodootsync and get dsdt done for you

http://forum.notebookreview.com/dell/10881...h-upgrades.html

socket M not socket P

try my signature inspiron 1520 pack. minus dsdt .. get yours extracted to be fixed.

Spooner shutdown is a dream still. its a power management incompatibility in dsdt. due tothe chipset design having built in intel video option .. dsdt was made for both nvidia or intel gma965 . well the shutdown has some special method that works fine on x3100 gma965 but not on nvidias PEGP . if opengl loads. it wont shutdown.

but works fine on m1530 due to different non gma dsdt.

get a wireless card called AR5B91 and it works since 10.6.3 $6 on ebay

Secondly the onboard wireless is not recognised Intel 3945ABG, I know a kext existed for it but with no wep/security support. Is there a fully working kext for this yet?

There is in fact a kext for that wireless card, but like you said there is no wep/security support. Even then it was very slow and kept dropping connections. I just went out and bought a usb wifi dongle.

Hi,

Update 10.6.8 work fine on the Inspiron 9400 ;)

See http://wackou.free.fr/?page_id=150

But I have a issue, I have installed the SleepEnabler 1036.8 from here, my system can sleep but can't wake up, I got this message on Chameleon :

header read 200 mem_base 72dcb200 Not enough space to restore image. Press any key to proceed with normal boot

Its not so bad, but can I fix it ?

BTW, the Intel 3945ABG didn't work on OSX (we have kext but with no-security network)

• 5 weeks later...

I've got my laptop inspiron 6400 (intel gma945) sleep working(10.6), but just one time. then I can only go to sleep without wake up, I don't know why, I've turn off the lid and my system has reboot automatically and after that time I can't get wake.

I will explain what I have done:

I can get sleep only with sleepenabler.

I have disabled wireless, connected my ac adapter, removed all usb device.

I have fixed my dsdt to get usb wake up and tweaked some issues.

I don't know people that has get this hardware full working (sleep), but I think we are really close.

here there are dsdts and ioregs from macbook2,1 and my hardware.hack.zipmacbook.zip

can someone find something to do?

I've got my laptop inspiron 6400 (intel gma945) sleep working(10.6), but just one time. then I can only go to sleep without wake up, I don't know why, I've turn off the lid and my system has reboot automatically and after that time I can't get wake.

I will explain what I have done:

I can get sleep only with sleepenabler.

I have disabled wireless, connected my ac adapter, removed all usb device.

I have fixed my dsdt to get usb wake up and tweaked some issues.

I don't know people that has get this hardware full working (sleep), but I think we are really close.

here there are dsdts and ioregs from macbook2,1 and my hardware.hack.zipmacbook.zip

can someone find something to do?

Me too, i've installed sleepenabler, sleep work but i can't wake up my system, got this message "Not enough space to restore image. Press any key to proceed with normal boot"

Everything work on my system (Inspiron 9400) except the wifi (I use a dongle).

ASAP, I will try Lion (10.7) :(

• 1 month later...