[Guide] Dell Inspiron 6400/9400/1520/1720/E1405/E1505/E1705 Intel Core Duo

devilhood

2,614 posts in this topic

HOLY {censored} HOLY {censored} HOLY {censored}....DECEIVER DECEIVER DECEIVER!! HOLY {censored} {censored}....I GOT IT TO WORK AND I DIDNT EVEN NEED TO USE ANOTHER MONITOR...I DIDNT UNINSTALL ANYTHING...HOLY {censored} DUDE...I WILL UPDATE...IM JUST WAY TOO EXCITED RIGHT NOW!!!

Now, after i have calmed down from my madness, let me explain wait happened. So i installed and selected options that fit to my computer (anyone wants to know, let me know because i remember it after about 30 installations to get it right. So installed and and it rebooted and it did its typical boot to blank screen with "staying alive" playing through my speakers. I was able to get there with no problem after pinpointing exactly what i needed. So then i began to watch some star wars (since i havent seen 1 ever!...) and download a few games for my phone. Then after about 15 mins or so, i hit the power button on the computer and it came on!!!! I kid you not, i guess by default the computer settings cause it to boot sleep and pressing the power button awakes it. But it was after 15 or so mins. This is not, i repeat NOT, confirmed. Its just what happend, i proceeded to do the hibernate thing like you said as well as the sleep solution pkg. I also set the top corners as hot corners just in cast. But yeah.....SNOW LEOPARD IS UP AND RUNNING ON MY MOTHA {censored} 6400 {censored}!!!

Now, after i have calmed down from my madness, let me explain wait happened. So i installed and selected options that fit to my computer (anyone wants to know, let me know because i remember it after about 30 installations to get it right. So installed and and it rebooted and it did its typical boot to blank screen with "staying alive" playing through my speakers. I was able to get there with no problem after pinpointing exactly what i needed. So then i began to watch some star wars (since i havent seen 1 ever!...) and download a few games for my phone. Then after about 15 mins or so, i hit the power button on the computer and it came on!!!! I kid you not, i guess by default the computer settings cause it to boot sleep and pressing the power button awakes it. But it was after 15 or so mins. This is not, i repeat NOT, confirmed. Its just what happend, i proceeded to do the hibernate thing like you said as well as the sleep solution pkg. I also set the top corners as hot corners just in cast. But yeah.....SNOW LEOPARD IS UP AND RUNNING ON MY MOTHA {censored} 6400 {censored}!!!

I've heard about that a while back that if you let your laptop sit for the amount of time to fall asleep and you wake it it may come back. never tried that. glad you got it running without an external monitor

cheers

alright deceiver...so now im dual booting xp and MacOSX....so how do i get it to go to "sleep" or w/e it is mac's do when i close the lid. For some strange reason i cant find the damn options to alter that and its ticking me off haha...basically like i have to leave my comp OPEN at all times when i want to use it and shut it down if i need to move it somewhere...thanks again

edit= Also, when i installed the sleep solution like you said, but when i put my comp to sleep it wakes up with a kernel panic with the appleintelframebuffer kext. Wondering what you would have to say about that

alright deceiver...so now im dual booting xp and MacOSX....so how do i get it to go to "sleep" or w/e it is mac's do when i close the lid. For some strange reason i cant find the damn options to alter that and its ticking me off haha...basically like i have to leave my comp OPEN at all times when i want to use it and shut it down if i need to move it somewhere...thanks again

edit= Also, when i installed the sleep solution like you said, but when i put my comp to sleep it wakes up with a kernel panic with the appleintelframebuffer kext. Wondering what you would have to say about that

you will only get deep sleep to work. Deep sleep is hibernatemode 1. read details here. Once you got hibernatemode 1 set deep sleep will work if you have the latest chameleon and a kernel that allows it. I am not sure anymore whether I got this to work on my Dell with OSX 10.6.3 or not. The fact that you are getting a kernal panic suggests you are in hibernatemode 3 at the moment. check the site above to see what you have, then change it.

only other option is to get the screen go to sleep with a clamshell script. This may help. when you open the lid you probably have to activate sleep/wake by moving your mouse into the corner you defined for it. I know that sonotone or somebody else wrote a script to wake it up again with a simple key stroke (e.g. F10). I suggest you look into sonotone's patcher thread to find it. The problem with this is that it merely turns the screen black and doesn't put the laptop to sleep at all. Battery consumption will be still at max.

but, with dual boot working I highly recommend you make a backup image of your current OSX installation from XP. Use Acronis True Image or Norton Ghost to make a backup image of the OSX partition (back up raw and only partition, no boot sectors, you have to find some space to put the image of course). In case you screw up your OSX installation you just boot into XP fire up Acronis TI and put the backup image back to the OSX partition and you are back in business. It saved me a lot of headaches.

so when it comes back from sleep, its all dimmed and my mouse wont move or anything

first: not sure how you could tell whether your mouse moves or not if the screen is black ;)

second: if the mouse is indeed not active it may be a USB on wakeup behavior you could set in OSX or BIOS.

third: if all that fails it may actually go into sleep mode 3 and it crashes....

edit: oh, ah, I just realized that you wrote "dimmed". to me that indicates it's trying to put it into hibernatemode 3 and it crashes. Again, I remember a script that sonotone wrote to do lid close and wakeup - I think.

If I have some time I will look myself.

will do man...thanks for the help. Yeah i was confused when you said black i was like hmm....its weird because i put it into hibernate mode via pmset blah blah blah to 0 and dunno what goes on

edit: i've noticed every time i reboot, it brings it back to hibernatemode 3 always...{censored} weird lmao

edit2: rebooted and checked and it was in 0, and it still comes alive dim

edit3: so it was because i installed the sleep widget it kept coming back and 3 was reloaded. I have since deleted it and it still wakes up dimmed when on 0...still confused as to why

edit4: when i close the lid, screen goes off....but when i open it it doesnt come back on and comp is still running like normal

edit5: tried the clamshell kext or w/e and it made my mouse not move when booting so i wont be adding that anymore lmao....its weird because i reinstalled and did the 15 min thing and it woke right back up....wonder what the difference is

• 5 weeks later...
you will only get deep sleep to work. Deep sleep is hibernatemode 1. read details here. Once you got hibernatemode 1 set deep sleep will work if you have the latest chameleon and a kernel that allows it. I am not sure anymore whether I got this to work on my Dell with OSX 10.6.3 or not. The fact that you are getting a kernal panic suggests you are in hibernatemode 3 at the moment. check the site above to see what you have, then change it.

Hello,

I was just curious what prompted this comment about only deep sleep working on these machines. Are hibernatemode 0 or 3 impossible with the DELL E1505/6400, or is it possible, but may require some tinkering, e.g. DSDT edits?

Thank you very much.

Hello,

I was just curious what prompted this comment about only deep sleep working on these machines. Are hibernatemode 0 or 3 impossible with the DELL E1505/6400, or is it possible, but may require some tinkering, e.g. DSDT edits?

Thank you very much.

It's the graphics card that determines what you can do. Sleep works fine on dedicated graphic cards like nvidia go and ati. However, if you have onboard gma950 then you can't get regular sleep to work. The only sleep that works is deep sleep.

It's the graphics card that determines what you can do. Sleep works fine on dedicated graphic cards like nvidia go and ati. However, if you have onboard gma950 then you can't get regular sleep to work. The only sleep that works is deep sleep.

Ahh, I see. Unfortunately for me, my E1505 has a GMA950. Thank you very much for the explanation!

Another question: Does having an onboard GMA950 make the entire computer unable to sleep properly (as opposed to hibernate), or does it mean that just the graphics won't work after resuming from sleep? The reason I ask is that although I see hard disk activity after resuming from sleep, my E1505 doesn't respond to pings (although I suppose that could be due to the wireless network card not resuming properly).

Also, I'm assuming that not being able to sleep with a GMA950 is a limitation of the Mac OS X kexts and not the graphics hardware itself, because I can sleep under Linux and under MS Windows 7 on the same machine. Is this a correct assumption?

Thank you again!

Ahh, I see. Unfortunately for me, my E1505 has a GMA950. Thank you very much for the explanation!

Another question: Does having an onboard GMA950 make the entire computer unable to sleep properly (as opposed to hibernate), or does it mean that just the graphics won't work after resuming from sleep? The reason I ask is that although I see hard disk activity after resuming from sleep, my E1505 doesn't respond to pings (although I suppose that could be due to the wireless network card not resuming properly).

Also, I'm assuming that not being able to sleep with a GMA950 is a limitation of the Mac OS X kexts and not the graphics hardware itself, because I can sleep under Linux and under MS Windows 7 on the same machine. Is this a correct assumption?

Thank you again!

correct, it's because you are running an OS that's not designed to run on that machine. We are lucky it runs what it runs. Deep sleep saves the contents of the memory to the hdd and turns the notebook off. when the notebook comes back from deep sleep it reads the contents of the hibernate image back to memory. normal sleep on the gma950 on the E1505 typically leads to a kernel panic and nothing works. lid or clamshell sleep just turns the screen black and everything is running. the wireless should still work in that case.

correct, it's because you are running an OS that's not designed to run on that machine. We are lucky it runs what it runs. Deep sleep saves the contents of the memory to the hdd and turns the notebook off. when the notebook comes back from deep sleep it reads the contents of the hibernate image back to memory. normal sleep on the gma950 on the E1505 typically leads to a kernel panic and nothing works. lid or clamshell sleep just turns the screen black and everything is running. the wireless should still work in that case.

Thank you for the explanation!

So I switched hibernatemode to 1 (deep sleep) on my E1505. Now, when I try resuming my computer from deep sleep, I get the following Chameleon error message:

"Not enough space to restore image. Press any key to proceed with normal boot."

This is from a Chameleon 2.0 RC5 vintage build from the mozodojo branch of the Chameleon SVN tree. However, the code in question (i386/boot2/resume.c) is identical to the one in trunk, so I don't think it's particular to this branch. It has the suggested fix reported here:

http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php?topic=562.0

However, I still get the error message above.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks again.

Thank you for the explanation!

So I switched hibernatemode to 1 (deep sleep) on my E1505. Now, when I try resuming my computer from deep sleep, I get the following Chameleon error message:

"Not enough space to restore image. Press any key to proceed with normal boot."

This is from a Chameleon 2.0 RC5 vintage build from the mozodojo branch of the Chameleon SVN tree. However, the code in question (i386/boot2/resume.c) is identical to the one in trunk, so I don't think it's particular to this branch. It has the suggested fix reported here:

http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php?topic=562.0

However, I still get the error message above.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks again.

try to clear the sleep image. there may be some other commands from the chameleon command prompt to fix the sleep image. Please check this post for a start with clearing the sleep image. maybe it's corrupted. also possible that it tries to write it to a partition it cannot write to....

good luck

try to clear the sleep image. there may be some other commands from the chameleon command prompt to fix the sleep image. Please check this post for a start with clearing the sleep image. maybe it's corrupted. also possible that it tries to write it to a partition it cannot write to....

good luck

Thank you for the suggestion. I did remove the hibernate image and saw that it was recreated, so it doesn't appear to be an issue with writing the hibernate image. Unfortunately, I still get the same error as before. Hmm ...

• 4 weeks later...

I tried many drivers and configurations for an Inspiron 9400 (e1705) / GMA 950 / Centrino Duo. It always showed the image in the external monitor and not in the internal laptop one... but then I found this GMA 950 driver:

http://uppit.com/v/FUX45OLJ

linked from:

http://osx-e1505.vacau.com/

And now it works (with GL acceleration too)! I still have some problems with the keyboard randomly stopping to function.

[Fixed] Dell GMA 950 internal LCD (addendum)

I tried many drivers and configurations for an Inspiron 9400 (e1705) / GMA 950 / Centrino Duo. It always showed the image in the external monitor and not in the internal laptop one... but then I found this GMA 950 driver:

http://uppit.com/v/FUX45OLJ

Addendum: I used Iaktos S3 V2 (Snow Leopard 10.6.3) booting in safe mode (-x cpus=1) and then installed the GMA 950 driver linked before. When you read about this machine you must note:

1- There are Dell's Inspiron 9400 with GMA 950, with Nvidia and with ATI's

2- Iaktos S3 V2 includes a GMA 950 driver reported to work in some machines but it seems Dell's does something different, so the reports about GMA 950 for other machines aren't useful

Before this driver, I tried also the paperclip trick, without success. 

Also, I marked RTC 32 bits option in the Iaktos installation, without it I got a kernel panic.

I don't remember if I upgraded the Chameleon that comes with Iaktos S3 V2... if the GMA driver linked before doesn't work try upgrading Chameleon (and I think I use it with GraphicsEnable = Yes).

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all,

I finally found a workaround to get sleep working on my 640m/e1405.

http://www.osxlatitude.com/groups/d4xosx/w...e_with_OSX.html

If you have display sleep on one of the expose corners, use it after entering your password... and volia wake from sleep :(

Now if i can only get 64-bits working...... has anyone had any success using the 10.6.2 64-bit gma950 kext and 10.6.2 IONDRVSupport.kext to boot in 64-bit with graphic acceleration?

Hey all,

If you have display sleep on one of the expose corners, use it after entering your password... and volia wake from sleep ;)

Now if i can only get 64-bits working...... has anyone had any success using the 10.6.2 64-bit gma950 kext and 10.6.2 IONDRVSupport.kext to boot in 64-bit with graphic acceleration?

hey, that is a very cool find. thank you. sold my E1505 and won't be able to try this on this. good to know it's working.

Hey all,

If you have display sleep on one of the expose corners, use it after entering your password... and volia wake from sleep :)

Hi I have same 640m never can make sleep work....

can you tell me what version are you running and what kext you use for gma???

I use Intel framebuffer from leopard the one that works ok but with artifacts

by the way i am running 10.6.5

Hello friends

I hope im not interrupting any ongoing discussions but I just realised something weird about my iatkos S3 installation...(e1505)

I finally got native ressy on my x1400 but earlier today i tried to open a photo in preview...can't see anything...chess works. dvd player doesn't. anybody know whats going on here? niceplayer works just fine...however if i full screen any flash videos they get crazy choppy.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks to everyone who is active in this thread.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

i already have ideneb 10.5 on my E1705/9400.

Got iaktos S3V2 but don't know what exactly check in the installation process.

Could you list all the things that you install ?

I have a nvidia graphic card.

Thanks in advance =)

EDIT : finally, its work ! Everything work, for the graphic driver, i have to boot in 32bit (else blue screen), but i have two main issue :

- can't use the second core, i have voodootssync, but when i enabled the second core, UI is extremely lagging =$

- webbrowser is very slow, video flash is lagging (QE/CI is enabled because in the dashboard, i can see some wave...so what the problem ? hardware or software ?