[Guide] Dell Inspiron 6400/9400/1520/1720/E1405/E1505/E1705 Intel Core Duo

devilhood

2,614 posts in this topic

who distro would you prefer because kalyway continues not to work saying the same base system error....iatkos v7 installs, but when it reboots, it boots back to the same thing (installing the system basically). IPC doesnt work either...lol getting a little frustrated but still being patient. I also thank you very much for your help on this thing. Very much man or woman lol

I'd go with Snow Leopard and use iATKOS S3 Snow Leopard 10.6.3 Intel DVD. If you search for this term "IATKOS S3 V2 INTEL AMD SNOW LEOPARD" on the green demon you will find it. My installation instructions are in fact for that version.

tgd - a man with lots of patience :happymac:

ok its installing now....what do i do with the two files you said i need to get...sorry if it seems like i dont know {censored}...because i dont lol...just wanting to get this done right is all and appreciate your help and patience with me

just get the com.apple.boot.plist file from my older post (link above). It contains the efi string for the gma950 and runs the kernel in 32bit mode. Just replace the one you got with that one. the file is located in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguation

you also need to follow my instructions with the screen sleeper solution for the gma950. there are a lot of posts in that same thread explaining it - enough info for others to install it. go the extra mile and read.

haha so i hear some rendition of "staying alive" when i boot up. Is there a way to get chameleon to boot up my windows as well. Its boots into windows on its own. If i put the disk in, i have the option of the disk and the macosx. Is there a way to get my computer to permanently load up to chameleon and be able to select windows or mac? If not, im fine wit the disc way, ill just have to keep it around. I dont have an extra monitor around but hopefully i cant find someone who does lol....JUST WHEN I GET WHERE I NEED TO BE, NO MONITOR HAHAHAHA....sooooooo {censored} lol thanks for the help man...really appreciate it. By the way, that avatar makes me smile everytime i see it...its pretty funny for some reason haha. Thanx again dude.

haha so i hear some rendition of "staying alive" when i boot up. Is there a way to get chameleon to boot up my windows as well. Its boots into windows on its own. If i put the disk in, i have the option of the disk and the macosx. Is there a way to get my computer to permanently load up to chameleon and be able to select windows or mac? If not, im fine wit the disc way, ill just have to keep it around. I dont have an extra monitor around but hopefully i cant find someone who does lol....JUST WHEN I GET WHERE I NEED TO BE, NO MONITOR HAHAHAHA....sooooooo {censored} lol thanks for the help man...really appreciate it. By the way, that avatar makes me smile everytime i see it...its pretty funny for some reason haha. Thanx again dude.

yep, if you do it correctly chameleon should pick up windows. If you cannot boot into windows anymore you can also reinstall the windows bootloader by reinstalling the windows cd and do a repair. You won't see any OSX then, but you can install tboot and a line in boot.ini to get a choice between windows and osx in the windows bootloader. just follow my posts backward on dual boot and you'll find all the files you need to do that. but again, if you install chameleon correctly and you don't wipe the windows partition by mistake it will see that boot partition.

that avatar is a perfect combination of nerd and chemist.

So you are going to have to forgive me. I couldn't get to a {censored} monitor (sorry for cursing) so i took this route instead. I deleted the 950 things and i booted up just fine...go {censored}in figure. Now, kind of lost. Have a perfectly working mac now....but no internet...wireless i guess...and i want to know how do i put those kexts in there so it boots properly i guess...lol...sorry if i created a hassle for ya

Hi guys

Im not having any luck with any distros on my inspiron 6400.

Ive tried the new iatkos s2 which installed but i got a restart message at the end that i couldnt get rid off.

Ive also tried a vanilla install with a retail disk and boot disk with no joy.

Could someone please give me any advice on which distro i should use?

I have tried to follow any guides i can find and ive only managed to get it going on vmware on my main pc.

I really am getting to the end of my tether and very close to giving up now.

If you need to anything else please ask...

Please help

Thanks for the fast reply...

I did try this distro,

It all installed fine with no hitch,went to reboot and it said

"this mac needs to restart please hold power button"

Tried installing with various options with the same results.

Could i ask what options you used?

Did you turn off anything in the bios? i turned off multicore and speed step.

tried booting cpu=1 -v -x always with the same result.

my laptop is a 6400 with 1gb ram,

T2080 @ 1.73GHz,

Motherboard Chipset: Intel 945GM (Calistoga-GM) + ICH7-M/U,

GPU -Intel GMA950

Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-Card

It always installs fine, i just cant get to 1st boot.

I do feel like a real dummy i cant see what im doing wrong!

haha dude dont even worry about it...im the same way/was the same way...i still have trouble installing it and getting it working perfect...just uninstalled and im re-installing at the moment. i think you can select everything i selected....if you can get the list brought up ill tell you exactly what i selected to get it working right. Sorry, i just installed it so i cant remember off the top of my head the list lol

oh by the way, its cpus=1......i usually go -v arch=i386 cpus=1 for installation and then go -v for first boot, but now i boot -s and remove the 950 stuff and it works stock

your problem may be the video like mine was...but i also dont have wireless because i have intel =(

Thanks for the fast reply...

I did try this distro,

It all installed fine with no hitch,went to reboot and it said

Tried installing with various options with the same results.

Could i ask what options you used?

Did you turn off anything in the bios? i turned off multicore and speed step.

tried booting cpu=1 -v -x always with the same result.

my laptop is a 6400 with 1gb ram,

T2080 @ 1.73GHz,

Motherboard Chipset: Intel 945GM (Calistoga-GM) + ICH7-M/U,

GPU -Intel GMA950

Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-Card

It always installs fine, i just cant get to 1st boot.

I do feel like a real dummy i cant see what im doing wrong!

not a video problem. either you don't have the latest patched version s3 v2 or you did not check evo reboot from the patches.

So you are going to have to forgive me. I couldn't get to a {censored} monitor (sorry for cursing) so i took this route instead. I deleted the 950 things and i booted up just fine...go {censored}in figure. Now, kind of lost. Have a perfectly working mac now....but no internet...wireless i guess...and i want to know how do i put those kexts in there so it boots properly i guess...lol...sorry if i created a hassle for ya

you are deleting all the graphic drivers with that post. you will only be able to boot into vga mode as the post states. no native resolution and you won't have quartz extreme and core image and many programs won't run without the graphics hardware acceleration. the system runs with stock gma950 kexts. install the screen sleep fix and set a password on login. then put the gma950 kexts back into the extensions folder - everything is explained in my other post.

lol you keep saying other post and i dunno which posts you are talking about. I have the screen sleeper stuff and will do that as well as the hibernate mode. i have the boot.list apple thingy as well. the dsdl or dsml thingy...no clue what im supposed to do wit that. The post kind of jump all over and a little confusing..but i am reading them

is there a way i can extract the kexts from the cd or something because it doesnt seem like i can find the right drivers for it and when i delete them...run the screen sleep solution and then reinstall them or however a mac does it, when i try to reboot, it doesnt reboot...it stays at the cpu power management then and never loads in verbose mode or it stays with the silver apple logo if i boot normally

Hi. I'm trying to install OSx 10.6.2

I own a dell inspiron 6400:

Processor, T2050, 1.6, 2MB

1 GB RAM

Intel 82945GM

I've been using the Kaliway 10.5.2 osx. with out any major problems, except it didn't let me install some programs because it wasn't up to date. So i chose to install OSx 10.6.2 using "Snow Leopard 10.6.1-10.6.2 Intel AMD made by Hazard" I install it but I keep getting a kernel panic error i don't understand. I was wondering If you could give me any tips or maybe another installation DVD.

I also have to say i tried to boot it using -v arch=i386 flags. And I keep having the same problem. I 'm able start in single user mode.

Thanks in advance.

deceiver i am completely lost now...after i get it booted into vga or w/e mode i dont know how to go about installing kexts. i know how to put the bootlist thingy where it goes, it just overwrites it so i know that. But after that i am {censored}in confused

deceiver i am completely lost now...after i get it booted into vga or w/e mode i dont know how to go about installing kexts. i know how to put the bootlist thingy where it goes, it just overwrites it so i know that. But after that i am {censored}in confused

best way to install kexts is to use kexthelper. google it.

Hi. I'm trying to install OSx 10.6.2

I own a dell inspiron 6400:

Processor, T2050, 1.6, 2MB

1 GB RAM

Intel 82945GM

I've been using the Kaliway 10.5.2 osx. with out any major problems, except it didn't let me install some programs because it wasn't up to date. So i chose to install OSx 10.6.2 using "Snow Leopard 10.6.1-10.6.2 Intel AMD made by Hazard" I install it but I keep getting a kernel panic error i don't understand. I was wondering If you could give me any tips or maybe another installation DVD.

I also have to say i tried to boot it using -v arch=i386 flags. And I keep having the same problem. I 'm able start in single user mode.

Thanks in advance.

I am sorry you already downloaded the Hazard release and tried it with no luck. From my own experience I never got that one to work. I think it's missing some important system files. I highly recommend iatkos s3 v2. Once you get that I can tell you what installation options to check for your Core Duo and your GMA950 graphics card. Same as many other people here who got it to work. I have the same laptop except mine was a Core2Duo. BTW. Intel 82945GM is your chipset. The graphics card is the GMA950. Once you get the iAtkos s3 v2 you can follow this post.

best way to install kexts is to use kexthelper. google it.

I am sorry you already downloaded the Hazard release and tried it with no luck. From my own experience I never got that one to work. I think it's missing some important system files. I highly recommend iatkos s3 v2. Once you get that I can tell you what installation options to check for your Core Duo and your GMA950 graphics card. Same as many other people here who got it to work. I have the same laptop except mine was a Core2Duo. BTW. Intel 82945GM is your chipset. The graphics card is the GMA950. Once you get the iAtkos s3 v2 you can follow this post.

Thanks a lot I'll give it a try.

Luckily I installed kalyways 10.5.2 again and recovered everithing without any problems. While I'm at it. could it be easier to just Update my 10.5.2 to 10.5.8?

Is there any guide?

Thanks Again.

Thanks a lot I'll give it a try.

Luckily I installed kalyways 10.5.2 again and recovered everithing without any problems. While I'm at it. could it be easier to just Update my 10.5.2 to 10.5.8?

Is there any guide?

Thanks Again.

yes, there are guides here and some of it was covered under threads with my nickname or in sonotone's thread (see my sig). just search. But I must tell you that it's much easier to get 10.6.3 to work than updating from 5.2 to 5.8. There are some tricky things to follow, most of it due to the graphics card. Since you have that with the SL upgrade too, might as well start there.

alright deceiver...back to phase 2 (?)...lol. Nah ok i got it installed, downloaded your p list, dsdt, screensleep solution and i know the hibernatemode keys almost by heart. So all i have to do is plug it up to a monitor, run the screen sleep, run the hibernatemode and put your plist where my original is and im all set?

edit....phase 3 is profit haha!

edit: by the way its at the blank screen with sound again, im trying to do it the right way without the removing way

alright deceiver...back to phase 2 (?)...lol. Nah ok i got it installed, downloaded your p list, dsdt, screensleep solution and i know the hibernatemode keys almost by heart. So all i have to do is plug it up to a monitor, run the screen sleep, run the hibernatemode and put your plist where my original is and im all set?

edit....phase 3 is profit haha!

edit: by the way its at the blank screen with sound again, im trying to do it the right way without the removing way

if it's at the black screen after booting and your system is actually working (cpu and hdd working when you move your mouse and click blindly). This is the step at which an external monitor will help. Shutdown, plug external monitor in, boot. you should get OSX on the external monitor. Now you can install the screen sleeper solution and make sure you also uncheck automatic login under Login Options in Accounts. The script may stumble if that is not set to off. In addition you can set an active screen corner in Expose and set it to Put Display to Sleep/Wake. When you get to the black screen upon boot, you move your mouse into that corner and the display should wake up (may take a few seconds). But the screen sleeper solution should do all that already. Just in case.

yes, there are guides here and some of it was covered under threads with my nickname or in sonotone's thread (see my sig). just search. But I must tell you that it's much easier to get 10.6.3 to work than updating from 5.2 to 5.8. There are some tricky things to follow, most of it due to the graphics card. Since you have that with the SL upgrade too, might as well start there.

Ok, Will try the 10.6.3 update.

I have a couple issues, if anyone can address them.

I'm running on an Inspiron 9400 with NVIDIA GeForce Go 7900 GS graphics card.

1. Has the display sleep/black screen issue been fixed with THIS model? Can anyone point me to a solution? I haven't had any luck finding anything through simple searches.

2. If that problem has been solved, has anyone successfully gotten sleep working? Thanks to OSXRestart, I've gotten restart and shutdown working (with GraphicsEnabler in Chameleon going as well, even), but not sleep. Obviously I need to get the black screen problem fixed first.

My system:

Mac OS 10.6.4

Chameleon RC5 build 518

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.00 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 4 MB

Memory: 2 GB

Bus Speed: 667 MHz

Extensions:

AHCIPortInjector.kext

ATAPortInjector.kext

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

ApplePS2Controller.kext

Disabler.kext

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

JMicronATAInjector.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

OSXRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

VoodooTSCSync.kext

fakesmc.kext

I have a couple issues, if anyone can address them.

I'm running on an Inspiron 9400 with NVIDIA GeForce Go 7900 GS graphics card.

1. Has the display sleep/black screen issue been fixed with THIS model? Can anyone point me to a solution? I haven't had any luck finding anything through simple searches.

2. If that problem has been solved, has anyone successfully gotten sleep working? Thanks to OSXRestart, I've gotten restart and shutdown working (with GraphicsEnabler in Chameleon going as well, even), but not sleep. Obviously I need to get the black screen problem fixed first.

I know that people with exactly your system got sleep to work perfectly with 10.5.8 (NYCoyote for example). I am not sure about SL though. Dell and Inspiron laptop models are known to have the sleep/black screen problem. Typically for the onboard gma950 though. Since this is mostly graphic card specific I'd search sleep problems with the nvidia card. Hopefully somebody here with an nvidia can help you answer your question better than I can. Good luck.

I know that people with exactly your system got sleep to work perfectly with 10.5.8 (NYCoyote for example). I am not sure about SL though. Dell and Inspiron laptop models are known to have the sleep/black screen problem. Typically for the onboard gma950 though. Since this is mostly graphic card specific I'd search sleep problems with the nvidia card. Hopefully somebody here with an nvidia can help you answer your question better than I can. Good luck.

I had a Latitude E6400 that, up until 10.6.2, had 100% working sleep and display sleep. Since 10.6.2, display sleep still worked, but I couldn't get regular sleep to. Since installing 10.6 on the Inspiron, I have yet to get display or sleep working properly, unless I forego the Chameleon GraphicsEnabler option.

The only remaining issue besides the display I have is that the built-in ethernet seems to die randomly after an unspecified period of time. Is there an updated Broadcom ethernet kext? The one I'm using is pretty old, and I don't think it supports the power-saving states properly.

I had a Latitude E6400 that, up until 10.6.2, had 100% working sleep and display sleep. Since 10.6.2, display sleep still worked, but I couldn't get regular sleep to. Since installing 10.6 on the Inspiron, I have yet to get display or sleep working properly, unless I forego the Chameleon GraphicsEnabler option.

The only remaining issue besides the display I have is that the built-in ethernet seems to die randomly after an unspecified period of time. Is there an updated Broadcom ethernet kext? The one I'm using is pretty old, and I don't think it supports the power-saving states properly.

mine didn't even work at all. I only had wireless. I know from others who had intermittent ethernet drops and I have never heard about a solution.