Asus P5N7A-VM

DiaboliK

1,296 posts in this topic

I thought that was just what the Boot-132 disc did. Am I missing something? Is there some special condition with this mobo that prevents the boot-132 method?

tried iDeneb 1.4, can boot into installer, but after installation, it will not boot.

Then tried iPC 10.5.6 Live DVD, that doesn't even boot.

Finally, there's a way, with a old PowerBook G4 running leopard, use the retail DVD 10.5.6, USB to SATA converter to connect to a empty hard drive.

this guide which I think is in Dutch was very helpful. could someone please translate it?

http://www.muzzle.nl/handleidingen-tips/11...nstallatie.html

So, after reading that, you can read the following post on how people install it on GigaByte Geforce 9400 Mobo, because the method is similar except for the DSDT files used.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1043822

Must use Diabolik 's DSDT.aml for this ASUS board, it's on the Dutch website or this discussion thread for download, this step is very important because otherwise the installer/system won't boot, must use the right DSDT.aml with latest version of bootloader.

Format the hard drive with two partitions on the PowerBook G4 must have Leopard already installed. Call it partition 1 and partition 2.

1. restore leopard original DVD to the first partition, patch it with OSInstall.mpkg (on a leopard Mac system with USB to SATA)

2. Use the Universal OSX86 installer to patch the Leopard installer, OSinstall.mpkg, DSDT.aml, kext . (on a Leopard Mac)

3. Connect the SATA driver to PC, in ASUS BIOS set hard drive to AHCI Mode. Install leopard but need darwin boot variable -v -f to boot. (on hackintosh)

4, repeat step 2 using a Mac for the Second Partition (Leopard installed) i.e install DSDT.aml, kext bootloader using Universal OSX86 installer, now you just need to select boot from the second partition, boot with -v -f.

5. install graphic card driver called NVKush, then install WiFi driver, then modify /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAHCIPort.kext/Contents/Info.plist so that System profiler shows the correct hard drive controller (optinal), it would not affect anything. (done on Desktop PC)

6. to making booting easier, clone this Macintosh HD to the another new hard drive's first partition, there's not need to use the external SATA every time. Then repeat step 2 again, install boot loader, DSDT etc.

everything is in this forum, just read it through then everyone should be able to install it on this board, because it is not that difficult.

I think this method is slightly complicate, there must be a simpler one, we just need someone to write it down here and share with us.

Again, Thanks to ALL of your great work for making this board a good osx86 hardware.

Here's my meager attempt at a step by step walkthrough. When finished you should have a stable, functional, vanilla install. I followed these steps twice and it worked great both times. (After 30+ hours of trial end ERROR!) I've attached or linked to all the files needed throughout the post. That being said, lets get started:

1) From a working Mac, use Disk Utility to format the hard drive you will use for your hack. Make sure to format in Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and select GUID under options when repartitioning. The drive can be connected any which way, external, internal, USB, SATA, IDE...

th_1Format.jpg

2) Install OSx 10.5.5 (NoPE version) on the freshly formatted drive using the Universal OSx86 Installer. Before this step is performed, the 10.5.5 disk or image must be mounted.

th_2OpenInstaller.jpg

Make sure to select the right drive:

th_3ChooseDestination.jpg

3) Install the Apple - Leopard 10.5.6 update to the drive:

th_41056.jpg

4) Using the Universal OSx86 Installer, install the essentials kext package, boot delay > 0sec, monitors native resolution (not necessary), EFI Chameleon V 1.0.12, and the two audio kext's. Audio_Kext_s.zip (props go to frodokenny for the audio fix).

th_5UniversalOSx86Installer.jpg

5) Copy the DSDT.aml file to the root folder of the new drive. (Props to DiaboliK)

New DiaboliK DSDT (2/16/09)

th_6DSDT.jpg

6) Delete the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext file located in: System/Library/Extensions/

th_7ApplIntelCPUPwrMgmt.jpg

7) Close all open apps and shutdown the computer with the drive still mounted. When I did this it said that it was building the necessary cache files for boot for a couple seconds before shutting down. I'm not sure that it's mandatory but I know that it worked for me.

8) Attach the fresh drive to the P5N7A-VM via IDE or SATA. I can confirm that both methods work. USB may even work when set to FullSpeed (USB1) but will be extremely slow and is NOT recommended. When set to HighSpeed the OS randomly locks up at different stages of the boot. Note: Some have claimed that only the two black SATA ports support AHCI so you may want to use one of those if using SATA.

9) Configure the P5N7A-VM BIOS. Critical thing here is enabling AHCI for the SATA ports and making sure that Legacy USB Support is either off or set to Full Speed. I'm not sure how much else really matters. Here are my settings:

th_IMG_0029.jpgth_IMG_0030.jpgth_IMG_0031.jpgth_IMG_0032.jpgth_IMG_0033.jpgth_IMG_0034.jpg

10) Boot into Leopard! Really, I just let it boot straight through with no command line switches and it worked beautifully.

11) Install nvkush from DiaboliK. Restart the computer then change your display color profile to the Adobe RGB. You should now have full hardware acceleration although the model number doesn't display correctly.

12) ENJOY! My hack has been running flawlessly for two weeks now just chugging along. The only problem I have is that sleep does not work. I've disabled it in the power settings. Otherwise everything is working beautifully.

Thanks Ufdah !

That's a really nice guide and with pictures too :)

-

How come sleep doesn't work, when it works for others, like Signal64?

It seems strange that there are different results for different users, when they are using exactly the same motherboard.

-

Great guide! And I'm looking forward to trying this myself very soon.

/Martin

How come sleep doesn't work, when it works for others, like Signal64?

It seems strange that there are different results for different users, when they are using exactly the same motherboard.

/Martin

I really wish I knew. I'm hoping that by putting this guide out we'll get more folks up and running and maybe someone will stumble across the magic sauce...

The other problem that I've had is that iMovie '08 and '09 which I just bought crash when trying to import video. From my readings it looks like an AppleSMBios.kext thing. When I have the time I'll mess around with it.

I'm back after do my last exam on the university.

Update on my system: I finished building that (new case, etc...), and after too much problems with the new install process, it finally worked. Indeed, actually I can say it works like a charm.

Sleep & Restart & Shutdown, 4 GB RAM (which was giving my troubles in my last install), 5.1 optical sound, ... working all.

The only thing not working is automatic sleep when idle and I don't know how to get it working. I have read that some people with unibody macbooks are getting that problem too, so maybe it's an Apple problem... anyone which have tried it can post her experience?

I really wish I knew. I'm hoping that by putting this guide out we'll get more folks up and running and maybe someone will stumble across the magic sauce...

The other problem that I've had is that iMovie '08 and '09 which I just bought crash when trying to import video. From my readings it looks like an AppleSMBios.kext thing. When I have the time I'll mess around with it.

Try disabling USB Legacy Support in BIOS. I had the same problem (with sleep and power off) and when disable it, the system start to sleep and to power off correctly.

If you have problems with restart too, add OpenHaltRestart.kext from Universal OS Installer to fix that.

VoodooPower and GenericPowerManagement is a great tool!!! thanks for the introduction.

What does that two kexts? Where can we get? Thanks :thumbsup_anim:

I'm back after do my last exam on the university.

Update on my system: I finished building that (new case, etc...), and after too much problems with the new install process, it finally worked. Indeed, actually I can say it works like a charm.

Sleep & Restart & Shutdown, 4 GB RAM (which was giving my troubles in my last install), 5.1 optical sound, ... working all.

The only thing not working is automatic sleep when idle and I don't know how to get it working. I have read that some people with unibody macbooks are getting that problem too, so maybe it's an Apple problem... anyone which have tried it can post her experience?

Try disabling USB Legacy Support in BIOS. I had the same problem (with sleep and power off) and when disable it, the system start to sleep and to power off correctly.

If you have problems with restart too, add OpenHaltRestart.kext from Universal OS Installer to fix that.

What does that two kexts? Where can we get? Thanks :unsure:

here from superhai's website

http://www.superhai.com/darwin.html

New Updated DSDT :

HPET Fixed, So you can have AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext installed w/o a Disabler.

GPU Injection, No need to have NVKush (or any other gpu injector) installed.

All thanks go to Signal64 for all the help.

The 2 core version .aml : DSDT.aml.zip

The .dsl if you want to edit for 4 core detection : dsdt.dsl.zip

-D-

• Like 1

New Updated DSDT :

HPET Fixed, So you can have AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext installed w/o a Disabler.

-D-

Thanks for the new DSDT, DiaboliK, but... I had no luck getting it working.

I deleted IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext, NVKush.kext and old DSDT.aml. Then copy new DSDT.aml to root and restart. When loading OSx86 it stop at a kernel panic. Something I miss?

Thanks for the new DSDT, DiaboliK, but... I had no luck getting it working.

I deleted IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext, NVKush.kext and old DSDT.aml. Then copy new DSDT.aml to root and restart. When loading OSx86 it stop at a kernel panic. Something I miss?

lets say works best w/ voodoo kernel atm ;)

Why is the voodoo kernel better than the vanilla?

I thought the vanilla one would be more 'stable' anyway.

But so far i've got it working very stably now on 10.5.6 retail disk with minimal kexts

4GB works fine, ethernet works fine, integrated 9300 video with dual display works fine

just need to get a chipset fan or replacement cooler as it runs a bit warm

New Updated DSDT :

-D-

Nice Diabolik! I'll try this as soon as I got my new 10.5.6 DVD.

Why is the voodoo kernel better than the vanilla?

I thought the vanilla one would be more 'stable' anyway.

But so far i've got it working very stably now on 10.5.6 retail disk with minimal kexts

4GB works fine, ethernet works fine, integrated 9300 video with dual display works fine

just need to get a chipset fan or replacement cooler as it runs a bit warm

just mod the chipset hs, remove it then take the asus name cap off (it just glued on, take a screwdriver and use the loop to pry it off), then use some vice grips and pry off the loop.

running without those on should lower your chipset temps significantly.

-D-

The new DSDT is great! Unfortunately, since I've upgraded to the new DSDT, I have no sound. I get "Unknown Device" in Audio Midi Setup. I'm using the same modified AppleHDA and HDAenabler that I always have (from Frodokenny's post), but it looks like that method has kicked the bucket on my machine. Any suggestions?

Edit: Nevermind, sound kicked in after a few restarts. By the way, my system feels way faster now. Could the new DSDT have anything to do with that? Or is it just a coincidence.

I tried the new DSDT from Diabolik with a brand new installation. Here's what I did in a nutshell:

With UInstaller I installed the OSX 10.5.6 retail DVD to the harddisk.

Installed the bootloader + kexts (disabler, appledecrypt, openhaltrestart)

Copied new dsdt.aml to harddrive

Attached harddisk to P5N7A-VM motherboard and rebooted

It booted perfectly (without cpu=s, without any parameters) and got full gfx in installer!!

Diabolik, you rule!!

Ps. No audio, but I have to install the right kexts...

EDIT:

SkyFluff (changed your name?), does your computer shut down properly? I can't get my computer to shut down :( I removed openhaltrestart.kext by the way...

Anitanium, did you use the new updated DSDT from Diabolik?

i haven't used the new diabolik's dsdt yet as i run vanilla kernel and he said that it's best to use the voodoo one with this dsdt.

whether that matters or not, i'll have to try it.

i'm happy with how the system runs right now, and it took forever to get my dual display working properly, so i'd rather not mess with a good thing.

and my computer 'shuts down'

but the psu still seems to stay on afterwards

i have to hold the pwr button to turn the psu off

I am running vanilla with the dsdt from Diabolik, working pretty sweet here.

Then you've got the same issue as I'm having. The computer does not shut down, the harddisks do... Your CPU fan will keep spinning after you "shutdown". I'm hoping this can be solved :gathering: