Asus P5N7A-VM

DiaboliK

1,296 posts in this topic

Wow. This is all incredibly confusing. I've looked through most of the thread and see that some of you have everything working, but to be honest I'm not even sure where I'm supposed to start. I have access to authentic MB and MBP unibody install discs. Will I have to change the contents of the disc, or can I use it as is? And, where do I begin lol?

Wow. This is all incredibly confusing. I've looked through most of the thread and see that some of you have everything working, but to be honest I'm not even sure where I'm supposed to start. I have access to authentic MB and MBP unibody install discs. Will I have to change the contents of the disc, or can I use it as is? And, where do I begin lol?

put your desired install hard drive into an external USB dongle

insert the restore disk

install leopard onto the USB external drive

install in hackintosh

it should now work

you only need to change the contents if you don't have the original MBP computer to install it from

put your desired install hard drive into an external USB dongle

insert the restore disk

install leopard onto the USB external drive

install in hackintosh

it should now work

you only need to change the contents if you don't have the original MBP computer to install it from

Which do you recommend: MacBook discs, or MacBook Pro discs? So that's it, huh? I still need to install an EFI of some sort after installing OS X though, right? And will the audio, etc all work or will I need to find the appropriate files for those as well?

Hey guys I hate to just be a leech but I'm pulling my hair out! All it'll do for me is hang... Here's how I'm doing it:

Put HD in USB enclosure.

Attach to my mac book and install NoPE to the drive using Pacifist.

Use Universal Installer to add boot delay, EFI v9, and default OSx86 package.

Put DiaboliK's DSDT that Signal64 posted in the root: /DSDT.aml

Install drive in P5N7A-VM and boot.

It always hangs around where AK-49's is: "Using 16384 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers" Strange thing is it's not consistantly hanging at the same spot, sometimes i'll get a couple more lines into the boot and other times it hangs on the "Waiting on Root"

I've tried SATA, IDE, USB HDD, and USB flash drive. All do the same thing...

I'm actually not having any luck getting Windows 7 Beta installed on it either. I'm starting to wonder if it's a bad board... Haven't tried an XP install yet.

So I installed OS X using the MB Unibody disc onto my hard drive via another Mac. Ran UInstaller and did the basic package as well as EFI and set a boot delay of 5 seconds. I also added the DSDT to my root directory (not sure if I was just supposed to drag and drop it there, but that's what I did).

Popped the drive into my machine and it kernel panics. The log that comes up indicates that the com.apple.driver.appleintelcpupowermanagement. The log says "No HPETs available...CPU(s) Configured Incorrectly". I renamed the file, set my SATA to ACPI mode in BIOS, made sure the HDD was plugged into a black SATA port and it still kernel panics. I tried cpus=1 out of desperation and the same thing happens. So I went back to UInstaller and in the "Install Kexts from HD" or whatever it's called, I added AppleHDA from Diabolik's DSDT and AppleSMBIOS (because I heard that you need that and I didn't see it in the UInstaller package). I'm sure I did something wrong, but if anyone has any suggestions I'd be super grateful. I just want to see my beloved desktop again :P

Just a thought... Does it matter that I'm using the MB disc as opposed to the MBP disc? And also, with ACPI mode enabled I get a BSOD when I try to boot into Windows XP on my other hard drive.

has to be the MBP unibody disk as it has the drivers for the chipset

and windows won't work in AHCI mode unless you installed it that way

there is a way around it using intel drivers if you do a google search

setting bios back to SATA mode will fix your windows boot-up

has to be the MBP unibody disk as it has the drivers for the chipset

and windows won't work in AHCI mode unless you installed it that way

there is a way around it using intel drivers if you do a google search

setting bios back to SATA mode will fix your windows boot-up

Ok, good to know. I work at an AASP so I have access to any disc I need :)

Aside from using the wrong disc though, did I take the appropriate steps?

Success!

Using a MacBook Pro Unibody install disc, I installed OS X on the drive externally from my fiancé's MacBook. I then used OSx86 installer and ran the essentials package, while checking off "Apply Kexts", set a boot delay of 5 seconds, checked off the option to install Chameleon, and added AppleHDA (from FrodoKenny(sp?)), and HDAEnabler to the extra kexts folder. I also created a custom EFI string for the onboard GPU, but this resulted in software acceleration. I then deleted Extensions.kext, and AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext. I also added DSDT.aml to the root of my drive.

The first boot for me had to be done in Safe Mode so I could create an account. After that it was all good. I tried using NVkush and NVinject, with Diabolik's custom string, but it didn't work (I'm guessing it didn't work because of my custom EFI string. I'm not sure what Kext that string is found in so I'll try a reinstall and just use NVkush next time).

That's my progress so far. Everything works except for the hardware video acceleration. I also ran into a big problem with Windows. No AHCI drivers. The ASUS board comes with a utility to make a floppy disc to use with the Windows XP Install, but I'm not putting a floppy in my machine. I tried to slipstream the drivers onto my install disc, but again, fail. I bought a 250GB IDE drive for $50 to use in the meantime, but if anyone has any suggestion for the AHCI support, please let me know.

To the best of my knowledge, the ASUS manual actually clarifies that HDMI cannot be used in a multi-display configuration with DVI or DisplayPort. That's talking about the onboard ports, of course, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same deal with the 8800GT.

Yeah - thats what I am trying to figure out - My 8800GT wont be returned to me until tomorrow :( Lent it out :D

To the best of my knowledge, the ASUS manual actually clarifies that HDMI cannot be used in a multi-display configuration with DVI or DisplayPort. That's talking about the onboard ports, of course, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same deal with the 8800GT.

Man this is frustrating. Can anyone explain to me how to get hardware acceleration working? I've installed NVkush using Diabolik's installer. Then I edited the plists to add his custom string, I also added NVinject to my kext folder as well. But it still says 32mb and it's only running with software acceleration.

This is the last step for me to get a fully working hackintosh here and I'm completely stuck.

Anyone tried installing 10.5.6 for this mobo using the latest 10.5.6 retail DVD that's floating around ?

Another question :

A guy I sometime work with ask me about a cheap solution to build a hack ... I directed him to 945G mobo's (gigabyte has my preference) but those are not available anymore.

Do you think this one is a good candidate ? (assuming that I will prepare his HD from my own hack)

Not too much hassle ? (I'm prepared to struggle for my own hack but not for his).