Asus P5N7A-VM

DiaboliK

1,296 posts in this topic

Success! P5N7A-VM fully functional with 10.5.6 OS

1) Upgraded BIOS to version 502 ( download from Asus site )

2) BIOS settings : AHCI Enabled, Legacy USB : Fullspeed

3) Installed iPC 10.5.6 into my internal sata drive with cpus=1 option.

4) Restart will fail, Restart using iDeneb 10.5.5 DVD.

5) Once booted from DVD I opened Terminal

6) Install ACPI-Fix.pkg & CPU=1-Fix.pkg from DVD to Hard Disk

7) Now system will boot!

8) Once booted, I installed last NVKush package and I had FULL QE/CI/Rotation Enabled!

Everything is ok, except for Audio... ALC1200 not working at all... :(

--------------------

ASUS P5N7A-VM: E4600 Intel Core Duo 2,4GHz, GDDR800 : Hitachi 160Gg SATA : DVDRW SATA

MacOSX 10.5.6 : PCEFI V92ch azalia audio. NV9300. Realtek GbEthernet

i've uploaded my audio kext

remove any ALCinject and related kext

it should recognize immediately after a restart

also, my bios settings is

Front Panel: HD Audio

and SPDIF output if that makes a difference

i'm going to test the 9300 iGPU later tonight to see if i solved it

Thank you very much anitanium, now my Audio works 2 channels too!

:D

Any chance the lack of hardware acceleration for some of us could be based on the RAM we have in our machines?

Also, Diabolik, any chance you could write up a guide despite the audio being 2 channel for now? I'm desperate to get this thing working.

maybe try extracting the video drivers first and see if they will work with the 9300 with nvkush

Sure. I'm not sure which files to extract though. I know it's a bit extensive, but here's the complete list of kernel extensions on the 10.5.6 DVD:

Edit: That list was huge. I attached the txt file instead.

Mac_OS_X_10.5.6_Retail_Kernel_Extensions_List.txt

Here's my update, Everything Still running perfectly :

8Gb ram (no crashes)

9300 with qe/ci/res

sleep/wakes fine

restarts and shuts down fine

audio works optical and analog in/out (i think, i still have to enable it)

only non retail things i used are : nvkush, hdaenabler, genericcpupowermanagement, smbiosresolver, voodoo kernel, dsdt fix

all things required to run perfect are qualified ram, an alu mb/mbp restoredisk or 10.5.6 retail disk. anything else is just {censored}, dont use it.

-D-

and a screenie

post-14143-1234143635_thumb.png

Great stuff, Diabolik

Does lan support afp and bonjour oob without any extra kexts or fixes needed?

Does the board support wake from USB keyboard/mouse or just wake from PWR button only? I'm referring to S3 sleep. :whistle:

Sorry, I didn't read the entire 7 pages :X :D

-Stell

Here's my update, Everything Still running perfectly :

8Gb ram (no crashes)

9300 with qe/ci/res

sleep/wakes fine

restarts and shuts down fine

audio works optical and analog in/out (i think, i still have to enable it)

only non retail things i used are : nvkush, hdaenabler, genericcpupowermanagement, smbiosresolver, voodoo kernel, dsdt fix

all things required to run perfect are qualified ram, an alu mb/mbp restoredisk or 10.5.6 retail disk. anything else is just {censored}, dont use it.

-D-

and a screenie

post-14143-1234143635_thumb.png

Great stuff, Diabolik

Does lan support afp and bonjour oob without any extra kexts or fixes needed?

Does the board support wake from USB keyboard/mouse or just wake from PWR button only? I'm referring to S3 sleep. :whistle:

Sorry, I didn't read the entire 7 pages :X :D

-Stell

wakes from kb or mouse not just the powerbutton, lan is taken care of by the apple nvenet.kext.

and yes bonjour and afp work oob.

-D-

Any chance you could link us to the kexts used? And is there anything special we should be doing with the NVkush installer? Or is it maybe something else, say, in the BIOS that's keeping us from getting hardware acceleration?

wakes from kb or mouse not just the powerbutton, lan is taken care of by the apple nvenet.kext.

and yes bonjour and afp work oob.

-D-

Perfect, sounds like there is nothing wrong with this board at all. Great work guys. :D

-Stell

Well that definitely didn't work. I used the kernel extensions from the 10.5.6 DVD and replaced the GeForce and NVDA files on my current install. It wiped out that stupid custom efi string I created, so that was nice, but I installed NVkush afterwards and it still didn't work. Probably because I was mixing extensions from multiple versions of the OS, who knows. I think I'll start from scratch with the retail 10.5.6 DVD and see how it goes. Wish me luck.

By the way: gold star to anyone that gets the reference from post 161

Well that definitely didn't work. I used the kernel extensions from the 10.5.6 DVD and replaced the GeForce and NVDA files on my current install. It wiped out that stupid custom efi string I created, so that was nice, but I installed NVkush afterwards and it still didn't work. Probably because I was mixing extensions from multiple versions of the OS, who knows. I think I'll start from scratch with the retail 10.5.6 DVD and see how it goes. Wish me luck.

By the way: gold star to anyone that gets the reference from post 161

My experience with 9300 :

- First I removed NVinject.kext & NVinjectGo.kext

- Then I installed NVKush and modified Info.plist as suggested by Diabolik. ( Many thanks Diabolik, great stuff!)

- Modified Info.plist with my ID's in that kext : NVDA40.kext NVDA50.kext Geforce.kext NVKush.kext

I was really lucky because I'm not an expert of kext modding.... :)

Everything is perfect with my enhanced NVidia 9300, CI / QE & rotation.

OMG! Sweet, sugary success :)

I sweat blood and tears over it this time, but managed to get it working with a 10.5.6 retail DVD. The NVkush installer wasn't working for me, so I added the one I made earlier with the modified NVcap through UInstaller and it worked! Strange thing is though, when I compare the Info.plist's between the NVkush installer's kext, and the one I added manually, they appear the same. Far as I can tell anyway.

I'm not really too worried about it. It bothers me that I'm not 100% sure why it worked this time, but for the time being I'll restore my fully functional OS X install to another partition and restore from that if anything goes wrong.

Edit: I can't get sound to work. I've been trying to use HDAenabler and FrodoKenny's AppleHDA like I have in the past, but it just won't work. I'm assuming this has something to do with the fact that I'm running 10.5.6 now instead of 10.5.5. Any ideas on that one, Diabolik? How did you get sound working with just HDAenabler?

Also, not sure if it's of any concern, this is a new development for me after switching to the retail disc, but during the boot sequence I get a handful of messages telling me "iGPU: Matching specific family fails" or something like that. Video works fine though...

I got sound working. Just needed a reboot, I guess. I now have a few issues that I'm sure are pretty straight forward for any hackintosh. However, I'm new and not entirely sure what to do in these cases.

1. I can restart, but I can't shut down. It halts the CPU, but my machine will never actually turn off.

2. I can't wake it up from sleep by any means.

3. Disk Utility and System Preferences seem to have a tendency to freeze on me. Whenever this happens I can force quit and get rid of the application's window, but the actual process stays running and appears in the dock until I reboot.

4. I'm assuming there isn't a fix for this, but my computer shows up as system-product-name. Any way to change that? And maybe change what my CPU says in About this Mac? It shows up as 3.8 GHz Unknown, when it's really a 2.8 Core 2 Duo.

Just the minor things that I'd like to get ironed out. The main things I'd like to resolve are the power issues and the overall system stability. If you guys have any recommendations I'd be more than grateful. Keep in mind that I'm running 10.5.6, if that makes a difference, I'm not sure :rolleyes:

Oh, and I'd love to get my LG DVD Burner to work in Leopard if anyone knows how.

I've been running the board just about 3 months now without any hicups.

HDMI to 1080p works.

Sound works.

Sleep works.

8Gig of mem works.

Ethernet works.

Anything else?

10.5.6 retail dvd or UAMB Restore disc with model check removed.

Used NullCPUPowerManagment, Superhai SMBIOS Enabler, dsmos, NVKush for minimal setup.

grats! i'm curious how diabolik has everything working but you're having those issues. i'm about to pull the trigger on this board i think.. before i do; any of you hooked this up to a 1080p tv? with onboard video, it's all good?

I'm using mine on a Sharp Aquos at 1080p. Not only does it work, I've been playing all the Valve games at full resolution on mid-high settings and they look and play beautifully!

As far as the other issues, I just don't know enough to get those things working on my own. This is my first hackintosh ever.

So I hate to sound like a broken record here but I'm still having issues getting passed what I believe is an ACPI problem.

I've tested 2 different setups and the result in the same hung system state.(I've tried others but they end up in even a worse state.) The last thing on the screen when booting in verbose mode is:

Using 16384 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers

The first setup I tried I mentioned in a previous post. It is an IDeneb 10.5.5 setup installed to a USB drive. I've tried doing a minimal install with just he voodoo kernel as well as several other kernels and I get to the same point in the booting process. I've also done an install using the ACPI fix as well, which resulted in the same message.

The second method that I've tried is burning the default iso of boot-132 and then swapping a Retail version of the 10.5.6 DVD at the boot prompt. The retail DVD when booted with the -v option hangs after the same message as when trying to boot the iDeneb installation, which is the Using 16384 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers screen.

Has anyone who has installed the retail 10.5.6 version using boot-132 had to do any custom modifications to the iso to get it to work?

I'd really appreciate some help with this issue as I've been working on this for about 3 weeks no with no luck. I have tried every possible option in my bios to get this to work and can't seem to get passed that screen. I imagine that I'm making some sort of noob mistake but based on everyone elses installation experiences I'm not sure what I am missing. I seem to be the only one posting this particular problem on this board. Hopefully someone else who has battled through this can share some insight.

All help and insight is greatly appreciated. I will be eternally grateful to whomever can help me find a solution to this problem.