Asus P5N7A-VM

DiaboliK

1,296 posts in this topic

Hey Everybody,

I pulled the trigger and got the P5N7A and I've been trying to get OS X installed. I've been using Lokoh's method of installation using my unibody MBP, the unibody MBP restore disc, modified OSInstall.mpkg, & an external USB disk as detailed here. Only thing I changed was that i used the dldt for the Asus board rather than the Gigabyte board.

When I plug the USB drive back into my Asus motherboard and attempt to boot I get a kernel panic. So I've been trying to figure out what has been causing the panic. The logical thing to do was use the "-v" boot option, but everytime I do that and the system starts to boot it seems to hang at "BSM auditing present". I attached a picture of my screen that i took with my iPhone.

So two questions -

1. Anybody know why I might be getting the kernel panic?

2. How can I get this thing to boot correctly in verbose mode? I assume if I was doing it right then I'd see the kernel panic on the console.

Thanks in advance!

UPDATE:

Got it to boot in verbose mode by adding -v to com.apple.boot.plist.

The kernel panic seems to be related to AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext. 2nd screenshot of console attached. Would love some help on this.. Thanks.

UPDATE 2:

I just decided to trash the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext and now the system doesn't panic, but I'm stuck at "Still waiting for the root device". I had this happen before but I can't remember how I fixed it. I'm using a SATA II disk that is connected to the first SATA port on the board.

post-49244-1233348839_thumb.jpg

I just decided to trash the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext and now the system doesn't panic, but I'm stuck at "Still waiting for the root device". I had this happen before but I can't remember how I fixed it. I'm using a SATA II disk that is connected to the first SATA port on the board.

Ok, I figured this out. Probably a good tip worth posting for other users of this motherboard. In order to boot from a SATA drive, you must have your drive plugged into either the of the two black SATA ports as these are the only SATA ports that support AHCI. Lastly, go into the BIOS settings and enable AHCI on the first page under "Storage Settings". Hope this helps and thanks to everybody on this thread for all of their hard work on getting this board going.

Yes, you have. There are people that installed it with iatkos i5 release first and then installed with unibody method. Read the Gigabyte post (especially latests 4-5 pages I think) and you'll see some advice on how they accomplish that :D

And 4 GB and so in Asus generally is no problem... except with my board or config, it's seem :thumbsdown_anim:

well i got the iATKOS 5i DVD and try to boot no luck.

then try the cpus=1 boot Kernel panic.

finally i yank 2GBs of my RAM out + booting with cpus=1 made it boot into the installation

now i am not sure what package i need to install to make it work? i did the EFI 9 + NVKush +the network drivers + the ACPI stuff + the ACHI stuff

after the install i end up with the system keep restarting

and i think i found the unibody restore disc on PB but with no Mac insight i don't think i can burn it i tried dmg2iso unable to convert it.

Got my P5N7A booted thanks to the help of many folks. I have two issues that I could use some help with.

First, my system won't restart or shutdown on its own. I used the OpenHaltRestart.kext from our friends at Psystar and I've got APM enabled in my BIOS. When the system reboots or halts, I always have to preset the reset or power button on my case.

Second, I can't seem to get CI/QE enabled. I'm using the onboard the GeForce 9300 board with NVKush.kext over DVI. I notice when the system boots up and NVKush starts spitting stuff out on the console that it pins my chipset model as "I Can Has Model?". I can also see this in the System Profiler. Seems kinda strange - is it possible that there are multiple versions of NVKush.kext float around out there and that I have the wrong one?

Hi all,

My total inexperience is leading to a chicken/egg problem here...

The noob guides aren't specific to this board, so I get problems installing, but the steps outlined here are still a mite too advanced for me. Anyone mind breaking things down for this poor soul?

I've tried both the iDeneb and the iPC distributions (burned to DVD), but can't get past the initial loading screen. The iPC distro prompts me for flags and then reboots after whatever I seem to try. iDeneb is a bit more promising...the white apple screen loads, the wheel spins for a few minutes, and a circle with a line through it (think no smoking signs) starts blinking at me.

Help?

-malfet

make sure when you first are booting from the dvd you hit F8 for boot options - enter cpus=1 this will allow you to install. Once installed and before you reboot, copy Diabolik's DSDT.aml to your root on your boot drive. The with UInstaller choose "OSx86 essentials" and check apply kext. Check "Set boot time out to 5 seconds" You shouldn;t have to re-install EFI v9, but if it doesn't boot go ahead and do so. This should get you going - This is thanks to Lokah

Hi all,

My total inexperience is leading to a chicken/egg problem here...

The noob guides aren't specific to this board, so I get problems installing, but the steps outlined here are still a mite too advanced for me. Anyone mind breaking things down for this poor soul?

I've tried both the iDeneb and the iPC distributions (burned to DVD), but can't get past the initial loading screen. The iPC distro prompts me for flags and then reboots after whatever I seem to try. iDeneb is a bit more promising...the white apple screen loads, the wheel spins for a few minutes, and a circle with a line through it (think no smoking signs) starts blinking at me.

Help?

-malfet

Thanks for the help, it's getting me closer. The iPC install now gets up to the apple with the loading wheel, but after a minute or so I get the no smoking sign that seems to indicate a more major hardware compatibility problem.

Just to make sure I'm doing this right: I hit F8 and i get a "boot: " prompt. I should type cpus=1 and nothing further? No need for -F or -x or anything?

I recently got the Asus P5N7A-VM motherboard and I am currently trying to install OSX on it. I'm also trying to understand the procedure you guys took to install OSX with this motherboard.

What I did:

On my working Hackintosh I downloaded the NoPe release. I connected a spare harddisk to my working hackintosh and via diskutility I did a restore to that spare harddisk. Then, via "Universal OSx86 Installer", I installed OSx86_Essentials and installed PC_EFI v9. I copied the p5n7a-vm dstd.aml to the root of the spare harddisk.

Then I hooked the spare harddisk to the P5N7A-VM motherboard and booted from the spare harddisk. When the installer launches it says something like, "Can't install OSX on this computer". Something like that, I don't know the exact phrase.

What am I doing wrong here? Any help is much appriciated!

I've tried both the iDeneb and the iPC distributions (burned to DVD), but can't get past the initial loading screen.

i managed to get iDeneb 10.5.5 to boot and install successfully with my P5N7A

from there i installed the NoPE disk to another SATA drive

i had AHCI enabled, selected 9.4.0 kernel and ACPI fix

My problem with the NoPe install is fixed, I needed to replace OSInstall.mpkg (found in the Gigabyte thread).

Now I'm having trouble with USB. I connected my mouse and Apple Keyboard to the computer, in the installation screen it says that I should connect my keyboard... Anyone seen this before?

Thanks for the tip. I checked the setting and it was auto. When I enabled USB Legacy mode it worked :)

Thanks! Correction: When I changed USB from FullSpeed to Highspeed it worked!

So now I got Leopard booting with cpus=1, dunno if I still need to do that. I'll check that later.

Booting without cpus=1 worked great, Leopard sees 2 CPU's now (Core 2 Duo e8200)

I'm facing 2 problems still:

- Sata controller is an unknown AHCI controller. I saw screenshots that it should appear as an Nvidia Controller?

- No VGA hardware acceleration yet... Thank you Diabolik for NVKush!!

- Optical / SPDIF out audio

I recently got the Asus P5N7A-VM motherboard and I am currently trying to install OSX on it. I'm also trying to understand the procedure you guys took to install OSX with this motherboard.

What I did:

On my working Hackintosh I downloaded the NoPe release. I connected a spare harddisk to my working hackintosh and via diskutility I did a restore to that spare harddisk. Then, via "Universal OSx86 Installer", I installed OSx86_Essentials and installed PC_EFI v9. I copied the p5n7a-vm dstd.aml to the root of the spare harddisk.

Then I hooked the spare harddisk to the P5N7A-VM motherboard and booted from the spare harddisk. When the installer launches it says something like, "Can't install OSX on this computer". Something like that, I don't know the exact phrase.

What am I doing wrong here? Any help is much appriciated!

The problem is that you can't install it directly on the new computer (as far as I know). You have to install NoPE release on a Mac to the other partition of the disk, then apply the patchs with Universal OSx86 Installer and then put the disk in the new Mac and fire up.

I'm facing 2 problems still:

- Sata controller is an unknown AHCI controller. I saw screenshots that it should appear as an Nvidia Controller?

- No VGA hardware acceleration yet... Thank you Diabolik for NVKush!!

- Optical / SPDIF out audio

My system also shows Unknown AHCI controller, don't know if someone have a solution for that.

And for optical sound, FrodoKenny's Kext uploaded two pages before works very well.

----

I'm a little lost that days because I'm finishing building my new computer with that mobo (new power supply, heatsink, etc...) and yet not finished.

By the way, I'm trying to install Windows XP 32 bits with AHCI enabled in bios on SATA drive, with the drivers supplied on Asus CD and it getting IMPOSSIBLE !! It crash on some part of installation with blue screen and reseting the computer. With Vista 32 bits no problem... anyone have this problem before and know a solution?

picture1mz4.png

You have to find the correct device id, so you can add it to AppleAHCIPort.kext. At least that's what I've found out thus far.

I'm just hoping there is another way to find out what the device is, rather then installing Windows :)

is here anyone who can run the board with all ram socket in use? because buying one of these boards is pointless for me if it isn't possible to use more than 4gb of ram.

if read to both threads and i really found no one stating clearly that it could be done without issues

I found out how to fix the "Unknown AHCI controller":

Open Terminal

Type sudo-s

cd /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAHCIPort.kext/Contents

edit Info.Plist, search for:

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>
		<string>0x0ab910de</string>

In the MCP79AHCI section and change it to:

<string>0x0ab810de</string>

is here anyone who can run the board with all ram socket in use? because buying one of these boards is pointless for me if it isn't possible to use more than 4gb of ram.

if read to both threads and i really found no one stating clearly that it could be done without issues

i don't have all ram sockets in use, but I run 4GB with no trouble at all

i don't see why it shouldn't work with all ram slots full

i don't have all ram sockets in use, but I run 4GB with no trouble at all

i don't see why it shouldn't work with all ram slots full

me neither, but there are peple saying they have trouble with more ram. and im guessing from what they are writing that it happens when all slots are full. point is i'm looking for a board with onboard graphics and the ability to go atleast for 8gb, and the opertuity to use even 16gb in future with this board would be cool.

but if i can only use two of the slots meaning that it's unaffordable to go for more than 4gb i might also just stick with my old board

me neither, but there are peple saying they have trouble with more ram. and im guessing from what they are writing that it happens when all slots are full. point is i'm looking for a board with onboard graphics and the ability to go atleast for 8gb, and the opertuity to use even 16gb in future with this board would be cool.

but if i can only use two of the slots meaning that it's unaffordable to go for more than 4gb i might also just stick with my old board

if you give me a few days i'll let you know if 8GB works out well.

i'm planning to get a few more sticks so I can run parallels even better

I'm trying to use the iDeneb 10.5.5 v1.3 CD to setup a base OS X installation so that I may use the NoPE restore cd to restore to my SATA drive. Currently I've flashed my BIOS to the 0407 version and changed my storage options to AHCI. I've done an install to an external USB drive. A funny thing happened when I flashed from 0404 to 0407. My USB drive was not reconized by the iDeneb installer unless I switched from HiSpeed to Fullspeed in the bios. HighSpeed worked just fine with version 0404 not sure what the problem there is but it made an install go from 16 minutes to over 3 hours, either way that is not the problem I'm currently facing. I've sucessfully run the installand I'm using the 9.4.0 kernel, ACPI fix, NVKush, and the RT8187 wireless drivers. The first problem I ran into was the AppleIntelCPU power somthing or other kext causing a kernel panic. I rebooted the ideneb install into the terminal and removed the kext that was giving me problems. I now have another problem I can't seem to find a solution too and was wondering if anyone else has come across this. When I boot off the USB drive using the options -v -f -x CPUS=1 I follow the booting process until I reach the following line.

Using 16384 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers

The system just seems to hang there and I'm really not sure what to do at this point if someone could point me in the right direction I'd appriciate it.

Thanks a lot.