Asus P5N7A-VM

DiaboliK

1,296 posts in this topic

Well, I hooked this system to my TV finally and I can confirm that HDMI works (only tested video) and optical out works. Just watched a small piece of Batman - The Dark Knight on 1080p and it looks awesome! Very smooth! Looks like my mediacenter is almost completed, I just need to find a way to shutdown....

well if you intend to use AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext please use the voodoo kernel to avoid kp's.

altho if you use GenericCPUPM feel free to use the vanilla kernel. atm i have SMBIOSResolver in as macbookpro5,1 and it tries to find pm states for a penryn cpu but i got a wolfdale and it goes panic.

Anyway, i have been tinkering w/ the DSDT a bit more. I have added in Audio Injection. As it stands it only replaces the use of HDAEnabler, as I get it working I will have a legacy injector so we can use vanilla AppleHDA + the Legacy Injector + DSDT inject.

-D-

That will be awesome! Can't wait for the release of another new DSDT. Your work is much appriciated Diabolik!

About the voodoo kernel vs vanilla kernel. I'm at vanilla, is it better to remove AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext in that case? (I am using disabler.kext)

i removed the AppleIntelCPUPM kext as I don't care about speedstepping

and if the dsdt works with dual display then i'm all for it

btw, how does one get all the audio jacks to output 5.1 through analog?

I can only get line out working.

headphone doesn't seem to work

About the voodoo kernel vs vanilla kernel. I'm at vanilla, is it better to remove AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext in that case? (I am using disabler.kext)

if you have Disabler.kext in then it doesnt matter.

if the dsdt works with dual display then i'm all for it

btw, how does one get all the audio jacks to output 5.1 through analog?

I can only get line out working.

headphone doesn't seem to work

DSDT does have dual display, as for 5.1 out i'll get that figured out when we get audio workin 100% with all ports working.

-D-

* Just a heads up, im getting this thread moved over to the osx86 installation section of the forum. *

I might have missed it but, does this board support dual digital out? Can I put one monitor on DVI and the other on HDMI? If so I think I am going for this board!

Also does front headphone and mic ports work? Is the PCI-E slot full 16x 2.0 electrical? Doe it run with 8 gigs of ram on it? Will my Q9300 work ok?

Lastly is anyone going to do a Install DVD or full tutorial?

I might have missed it but, does this board support dual digital out? Can I put one monitor on DVI and the other on HDMI? If so I think I am going for this board!

Also does front headphone and mic ports work? Is the PCI-E slot full 16x 2.0 electrical? Doe it run with 8 gigs of ram on it? Will my Q9300 work ok?

Lastly is anyone going to do a Install DVD or full tutorial?

dual digital w/ dvi + hdmi : no (one or the other)

front headphone + mic : working on it (optical out and lineout work fine atm)

pci-e 16x 2.0 : fully operational (hybrid sli capable)

8gig of ram : works (needs to be on asus qvl)

q9300 (not too sure check with asus)

link to tutorial can be found on the first post of the thread.

-D-

Looks like you guys still need some help perfecting this installation method. Installing to another HD from within an installation can mess up your recently installed kexts (appledecrypt, hda, etc), permission wise. I think I plan on getting this board since mine just died due to a bad bios flash. I think it'll be really interesting to see how we can harness the power of "Hybrid SLI" in Snow Leopard when combining say an 8800GT with this. ;)

-Stell

I'd love to see a boot-132 CD for this. Does anybody know if it's possible to let a boot-132 cd use DSDT.aml?

Not yet, but...

You could create a boot 132 cd with a proper efi string that injects graphics, ethernet/tm fix and also does the cpus=1 for the PREBOOT portion. This is just for the installation part, so cpus=1 doesnt matter. After that you can install via UInstaller once you're up and running. However, someone should make a proper plugin for UInstaller that includes the latest DSDT, audio kexts, etc. So once you install that way, you won't need the boot-132 cd and you'll have full support for the processors, etc. In my opinion THAT is the way this should be installed. Of course you'll need to have the 10.5.6 retail dvd. People seem to overlook this and overlook this and overlook this and overlook this. Go look at the last zillion pages where people are using distros that don't contain ANY drivers for this chipset. Ridiculous.... tsktsktsk

-Stell

Did you see my previous post about how I installed OS X? Check here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1083155

I doesn't get easier then this (except when boot-132 supports DSDT.aml).

Yea, its a fine way to install, but it does have some issues. Running the Leopard installer from within OS X can cause some permission issues when you add the kexts you'll need when installing via UInstaller. I'm saying this from personal experience. It is quick and easy though, I'll give you that. ;)

-Stell

My P5N7A-VM arrives later today :)

This is my first hackintosh, so could someone please sum up, what the best / easiest way to install 10.5.6 is, as it stands right now?

I have a Restore DVD from one of the new unibody MacBooks (I also have a unibody MacBook I can use).

I would like it to be as Vanilla as possible so I can use Software Update etc.

Thanks,

Yea, its a fine way to install, but it does have some issues. Running the Leopard installer from within OS X can cause some permission issues when you add the kexts you'll need when installing via UInstaller. I'm saying this from personal experience. It is quick and easy though, I'll give you that. :)

-Stell

I did that before and got the permission errors

what i did was made sure it booted into the new system first, then installed any kexts i needed using kext helper

has been working fine since

Is Diabolik's DSDT only for 9300 video? I am using a 8800GT and it wont recognize unless I install NVKush. Also even with the Voodoo kernal I am having to remove the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext or it panics - any ideas?

1 - Install 10.5.6 on fresh drive through existing install

2 - Install EFI

3 - Install Voodoo Kernal

4 - Copy DSDT to root on new drive

5 - Install AppleDecrypt.kext

boot to new drive -

I shouldn't need a disabler or openhaltrestart correct?