Asus P5N7A-VM

DiaboliK

1,296 posts in this topic

New Updated DSDT :

HPET Fixed, So you can have AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext installed w/o a Disabler.

GPU Injection, No need to have NVKush (or any other gpu injector) installed.

All thanks go to Signal64 for all the help.

The 2 core version .aml : DSDT.aml.zip

The .dsl if you want to edit for 4 core detection : dsdt.dsl.zip

-D-

EDIT: The link is working again, I guess the servers were down a while.

Someone please help :)

I can't download the latest DSDT.aml.zip from the post above.

The forum gives me an error!

Anyone who can upload it to mediafire.com or similar, please?

OK, so i followed the HOW-TO by Ufdah from the first post in this thread.

But, I can only boot into OS X with -x (safe mode).

If I boot normally (-v to check the errors) it hangs after CPUINTELPM Timed Out.

I read somewhere that the Timed Out error message could just be cosmetic (because I have deleted my CPUINTELPM.kext) and it could be gfx that are not working?

I'm using the latest DSDT.aml from Diabolik as it says in the HOW-TO.

Any ideas?

you need to delete the appleIntelcpupowermanagement kext

Thanks for the reply.

I have already deleted it, still won't boot.

But, I can get it to boot if I use the -f boot flag.

I have added -f to the apple boot .plist kernel flags.

Do I "lose" anything by booting with -f or doesn't it matter?

/Martin

are you positive that you installed the essentials kext package to the correct drive?

Thanks for the reply.

I have already deleted it, still won't boot.

But, I can get it to boot if I use the -f boot flag.

I have added -f to the apple boot .plist kernel flags.

Do I "lose" anything by booting with -f or doesn't it matter?

/Martin

are you positive that you installed the essentials kext package to the correct drive?

Yes, I'm 100% sure.

Though I'm not sure, if the permissions are correct (I have fixed permissions in Disk Utility).

Because, after booting with -f I had to install the audio kexts again, while the harddisk was in the new hackintosh, to get audio to work.

When I had the harddisk connected to my Mac, I installed the audio kexts in UInstaller, but they still didn't work.

/Martin

Some other questions:

1. My CPU says 3.8GHz, but I have 3.16GHz Duo. Does it matter?

2. In System Profiler a lot of info is missing and the 9300 video card says 256MB RAM. Should it say 512MB?

3. Is there any way that I can monitor my CPU temp (it doesn't show in iStat monitor)?

use kexthelper while in safe mode and install your audio kexts

1. install smsbiosresolver from superhai for your cpu info

2. you have to change the VRAM setting in the nvkush kext (or the dsdt file) if you're using 512mb in bios (i'm not sure if diabolik set it to 256/512 in the dsdt, i set mine to 512mb VRAM in nvkush via diabolik's plister)

3. use Temperature Monitor to get your cpu temp

Using the advice from all the awesome people in this thread, I just finished a retail install on the system in my signature. I can't believe how compatible this motherboard is! It sleeps like a real mac. Perfect choice for my G4 case mod :rolleyes:. The only problems, which is are minor one is AppleHDA gives me a KP at shut down, and using SMBIOSResolver still has about this mac displaying "Unknown CPU". Is there anyway to resolve these?

Thanks again guys, especially DiaboliK for his DSDT source, and Ufdah for his awesome walkthrough. I'm lovin it!

Thanks for all the help so far :D

The biggest problem I have right now:

When restarting / starting the computer, nothing shows on the screen and I have to press the reset button several times, before it finally turns on.

What this means is, that if I change something in the BIOS, for example my memory timings, then when I choose Save and Exit, the computer doesn't restart properly and the BIOS thinks that "the overclocking failed".

So I can't make any BIOS changes, like RAM timings, FSB etc. because it can't restart properly and the BIOS thinks that it "crashes" or something.

Any ideas? - Thanks

PS. I have just updated the Asus BIOS to the latest version from the web site, but that didn't help :)

are you using two monitors?

you might need to change the display profile to Adobe RGB

Are you replying to me anitanium?

If you are, no I'm using 1 monitor, connected with HDMI.

The display profile??

I'm only messing around with restarting and changing things in the BIOS... So no Darwin/OS X stuff should be involved, I guess?

/Martin

Sounds like a RAM incompatibility problem. Try running your ram in single channel mode, and see if it goes away. If it does, you can either put up with the performance loss, or swap your ram to a compatible brand. This motherboard is quite picky with ram.

Sounds like a RAM incompatibility problem. Try running your ram in single channel mode, and see if it goes away. If it does, you can either put up with the performance loss, or swap your ram to a compatible brand. This motherboard is quite picky with ram.

Thanks for the reply.

I am using certified RAM from the Asus pdf. G.SKILL PC-6400 CAS4, 2x2GB.

I have put everything back to Auto in the BIOS, RAM, FSB everything, so default RAM timings and no overclocking of any kind.

BUT, I am experiencing random crashes all the time!

I can kind of force it to crash, if I start Plex (plexapp.com) and browse through a folder with a lot of folders in it.

Holding the "down" button for example, in a folder with a lot of movies in it. After a while, boom, my computer restarts. It then tries to start up, but it takes 2 tries.

Any ideas?

Bad harddisk or (I'm using a Scorpio Black 2.5" SATA HDD)?

Thank you so much for the tutorial and other hints. This forum is really helpful! After upgrading Asus ROM to 504 installation went well.

I have problems with dual display mode. I have a 24" (1920x1200) connected to the DVI port. I was disappointed to find out that DVI is NOT capable of Dual-Link, my 30" display (2560x1600) must be connected to the DisplayPort in order to benefit from its native resolution.

After the system was up and running, it was possible to connect the 30" display to the DisplayPort (main display is still the 24", connected to DVI), it took about 3 seconds and the extended desktop appeared, streched all the way from the 24" over to the 30" display. I have selected "Adobe RGB" in the control-panel, displays can also be rearranged and calibrated - everything worked perfectly until restart.

After restart the DisplayPort seemed to be undiscovered, display was black, won't even wake up. The 24" Display showed the desktop but the system was very unstable. (I have reserved 512 MB for video in BIOS)

I tried the DisplayPort with the 30" alone, the boot sequence went fine but the desktop did not appear and the display went into power saving mode after a while.

Who else is running a 30" display and how is your configuration with 2 displays? HDMI + DVI = No go, I know already. DVI and DP seems to be a problem, too - or am I doing something wrong?

I got a quick question. I ordered the mobo and AeroCool A40 case for my HTPC hack to replace the xbox360 since I only use it for netflix, movies and music. I already have a hack with P5K mobo. I'll be keeping all my other stuff except 8500GT since I'll be using onboard graphics. Does this board do audio over HDMI in osx and since I'm reusing the rest of my components can I just remove the P5K kexts, put the P5N kexts and boot?

Does this board do audio over HDMI in osx

atm, no

and since I'm reusing the rest of my components can I just remove the P5K kexts, put the P5N kexts and boot?

best to start clean then use migration assistant to get ur files transferred over.

-D-

Thanks for the reply.

I am using certified RAM from the Asus pdf. G.SKILL PC-6400 CAS4, 2x2GB.

I have put everything back to Auto in the BIOS, RAM, FSB everything, so default RAM timings and no overclocking of any kind.

BUT, I am experiencing random crashes all the time!

I can kind of force it to crash, if I start Plex (plexapp.com) and browse through a folder with a lot of folders in it.

Holding the "down" button for example, in a folder with a lot of movies in it. After a while, boom, my computer restarts. It then tries to start up, but it takes 2 tries.

Any ideas?

Bad harddisk or (I'm using a Scorpio Black 2.5" SATA HDD)?

Which model of Gskill rame are you using. Because I was using 2x2GB Gskill NT and if i tried to run it in dual channel mode, the exact same thing you were describing happened to me. Putting it in single channel mode (ie a yellow and a black slot) made the problems go away.

EDIT: Also, is there anyway to use a boot-132 cd to install this? Because I'd like to attempt to use an EFI partition to load the extra kexts, and according to munky's guide it isn't really possible to do that using an existing install. Has anybody got this motherboard working using the EFI partition method?

Thanks for everyone's great work. I'm a total n00b and followed Ufdah's tutorial to the letter (including DiaboliK's DSDT from 2/16/09). It booted up fine the first time and things seemed to work OK. Based on some recent posts from DiaboliK, I thought I didn't need to install nvkush due his new DSDT. But I had some screen artifacts when scrolling in Console, Firefox, Safari, etc. I also couldn't choose any other resolution except 1280x1024. So I installed nvkush and now it hangs on the Apple logo. I'm not sure if nvkush caused the bootup hang since I never restarted without nvkush. It will boot into safe mode OK but I still can only choose one resolution. Any ideas? Thanks!

Asus P5N7A-VM (0504), Intel Q9400 (stock), 4GB G.Skill, integrated graphics only.

EDIT: A few more things:

1) I installed onto a SATA drive using a USB adapter connected to a Late 2007 Macbook. If using Ufdah's tutorial, do I need to use a Unibody Macbook?

2) When booting in verbose mode, the more notable items are:

IGPU: family specific matching fails [repeats 4-5 times]

NVKush: By DiaboliK, I Can Has Model? Detected, a DiaboliK Joint---------

Matching service count = 0

AppleHDA.kext failed to load: able to locate 'layout -ld' property.

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - WaitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out

Feb 23 00:42:24 system-product-name ntpd[31]: bind() fd 27, family 30, port 123, scope 0, addr [XXX], in6_is_addr_multicas t=0 flags=17 fails: Can't assign requested address

[hangs here]

3) If I don't delete AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, then I get a kernel panic.

4) I've repaired permissions with no apparent effect