Help Installing OSx86 on a Gateway P-7805u

sega_phreak

340 posts in this topic

Oh no man, I've got all that stuff working, it took a while but I've had QE going for a long time :-D

Also, I agree with you on iAtkos... xxx was a smooth install but I could never go anywhere from there, iatkos is definitely the first choice for this machine. Ooo, version 7 tho? I think I'm only running v6. Would it really make that big of a difference tho? I mean is it worth wiping my whole system (which at this point would be a pain since I've been using it for a while)?

Theoriginalpol

not sure wiping would be prudent I'm in no way a mac guru but I've read people are backing up to time machine and then doing a clean install then using time machine to restore back all apps and data!

Are you using voodoo hda! All other hacks for the audio caused sever audio choppyness and cut out! For me anyway! Like my earlier post I used lots lot of installers and by far this was the best for everything working out of the box! In fact quartz extreme was the only issue I had but osx86 tool fixed that issue in like two seconds and a reboot! if it were me and this is just my opinion if I had everything working I wouldn't mess with it! Don't fix something tha isn't broken! Sorry for any grammar issues sending this from my iPhone!

Alright you smart Mac book fellows. Ive got 10.5.7 up and running, Sound, QE/CI, etc. Im not sure about Opengl though i dont see it in the description about the video and such. That i can all try to figure out unless yall have some ideas but the thing that bugs me most is my keyboard and mouse dont work. I have to plug in a usb mouse/keyboard to do anything. I searched around here and on google found a few things to go dl some kexts and such and put them in/restart and still nothing. Any ideas?

Tyde,

OpenGL isn't an issue here... Quartz Extreme is the Mac equivalent, and it sounds like you've got that up and working :-)

what distro did you use when you installed 10.5.7?

As for you Pilla, correct me if I'm wrong anyone, but as of now there is no solution for a networking kext of any sort, neither wifi nor lan. It seems no programmer has taken the initiative to code one... We're just outta luck in that area. Don't worry, we're all dying for one right along with you...

Tyde,

OpenGL isn't an issue here... Quartz Extreme is the Mac equivalent, and it sounds like you've got that up and working :-)

This is incorrect..

Loose correction (I'm not going into specifics): Quartz Extreme uses OpenGL to render screen displays faster by presenting them as textures within a 3D OpenGL context. This permits faster compositing of screen images using 3D hardware acceleration.

OpenGL is still present and active, separate from Quartz Extreme, OpenGL is a library with APIs (Application Programming Interfaces).

This is extremely evident when you factor in something like the 10.5.6 8800GT issue.. upon updating to 10.5.6 people still had Quartz Extreme/Core Image, but mouse lag issues, which was related only to the OpenGL, Quartz Extreme was not a factor, they are separate entities.

Similarly, Core Image is used as a rendering framework for image processing, using things like filters/effects through a series of plugins.

The Point: Macs use OpenGL as their standard for 2d/3d graphics. It is always there. This is opposed to Windows which uses DirectX, a proprietary technology from Microsoft.

If you want to see if you're using your OpenGL properly type (in the terminal):

glxinfo | grep direct

If it says "direct rendering: yes" then you're fine.

Then if you want to see framerates:

glxgears

Hope this has at least been somewhat educational..

hum well i had the same issue at first then updated via software update went into the bios disabled the legacy usb also used ps/2 keyboard and mouse fix during install didn't use voodoo's kext used generic think it was the last choice on the list! That might fix the problem! I have done so many installs that writing down all my steps got old but I do believe that will fix it don't use the voodoo kext or the second one think their was only three to choose from! HOPE THIS HELPS!

choose your install location or hard drive then costimize but uncheck everything except the item your going to install say its keyboard and mouse kext then double check make sure nothing else is chosen! Then hit install it may say it failed but that is because you didn't install the whole operating system!

You can't do it in the mac os it won't let you have to boot from disk i believe or get the kext from the website but as long as you don't check anything but the keyboard and mouse and uncheck all others it will only install that one item! Have tried to browse the install disk and there is nothing there!

I used this customize config to get everything working with v7 except (obviously) wlan lan, headphones.

OHR, nvinject, intel sata/ide, laptop battery, NTFS 3g, clicked all network settings as a hail mary, ps2 with tackpad plugin. (and all the defaults too)

Auto detected 9800m GTS and adjusted res on first boot up. :)

I have a question, at the risk of sounding like an idiot, can you put in a mac CD to install say final cut??? my friend has an unused copy and a lot of other mac software that i would love to install, im just wondering if that will work?? it should right?

Thanks>>

Alright i got mac fully installed and everything but now i cant run windows. I tried to load it up and it wouldnt load now when i go to try to install Vista again i get a Stop code basically saying it cant recongnize my damn hard drives. Anyone got any tips? I cant find Any sata drivers for it.

You have ahci on so you will have to do two things one or the other use nvlite to slip stream your raid drivers for ahci or just turn it to compatibility mode in bios! Should get you back up and running tested my mac install in compatibility mode in bios and it booted fine but that is your quick easy fix! Sorry nlite just google slip stream vista install u will find it!

sorry posted incorrect info my p6831fx boots in comp mode in bios my 7805u does not sorry for the in accuarte info! My fault but if you turn it off when you want to boot in vista or xp that will work unless you slip stream the drivers during install!

Hey guys I thought I'd help out with the Gateway 7805u community here. As we can try to get everything to work with these beasts. Now who wants media keys to work ???? Here's how !!

First download butler app > http://butler.en.softonic.com/mac

install to your app folder

Second download this config file > http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZHDKKNZR

Simply double click on the config file and butler will ask you to either overwrite or insert the configurations, you pick insert

Also go to butler preferences and make sure it's starts up with osx so that they work every time. So select start with login. Now enjoy you media keys !!! :rolleyes:

Now we need, o2 card reader, yukon lan, webcam and intel wifi to work

We are so very close to a fully operational mac

Also if anyone wants their firewire to work go to system>library>extensions and delete appleHPET.kext your firewire will work right away.

If you are having issues with your dvd drive continously loading every 10-15 min, simply go to energy saver in your preferences and uncheck put your disks to sleep and voila good to go !

hmm firewire sounds like something that would be good to finally get working. Have some footage i need to upload. does anyone have the answer to my optical drive question?? will it read and install mac software?? I want to get final cut on there and edit it. :/

hmm firewire sounds like something that would be good to finally get working. Have some footage i need to upload. does anyone have the answer to my optical drive question?? will it read and install mac software?? I want to get final cut on there and edit it. :/

Yeah totally Pilla, the actual app Final Cut should work fine (unless there's any irregular compatibility issues, in which case you can find on the forums I'm sure). The only issues you might run into are actual hardware/driver issues. But the software itself is designed to run on the 'universal' OS X system, and that's exactly what you have...

I have many apps that I installed afterwards, for example Logic Pro, iLife '09 and the entire Adobe Creative Suite 4. They run flawlessly! (except for that weird recording issue I've been having, which again is just a hardware/driver thing).