Help Installing OSx86 on a Gateway P-7805u

sega_phreak

340 posts in this topic

Also has anyone been able to get the Built in camera to work??? in my settings in the about mac menu it shows

usb high-speed bus- USB 2.0 Camera ... and in that setting it shows the name of the camera vendor (chicony electronics)

Bimochi

i believe it was noted earlier in this thread that someone is using camtwist in conjuction with skype, ichat, etc. i've had success with it as well.

i believe it was noted earlier in this thread that someone is using camtwist in conjuction with skype, ichat, etc. i've had success with it as well.

had success huh? cause when i tryied it it had major problems. if you would be so kind and tell me what you did to get it to work that would be great

thanks...

PS has anyone been able to get logic pro 8 to use the built in mic or the mic IN port?

had success huh? cause when i tryied it it had major problems. if you would be so kind and tell me what you did to get it to work that would be great

thanks...

When I first got OS X running, I tried the CamTwist deal and it worked, sorta. It was terrible in performance and, as stated by the original innovator, there was a delay of about 5 seconds. In other words it wasn't worth using, not to me anyway -- but you're welcome to check it out... look at post #56 of this thread.

PS has anyone been able to get logic pro 8 to use the built in mic or the mic IN port?

I use logic Pro 7 along with my Blue Snowball USB mic. It works fine now... I think it depends on whether your whole system recognizes it, does the mic show up in system prefs or anything?

thanks...

what "major" problems are you having? i simply installed it, selected webcam for video source, pressed PIP, turned on skype, and chose camtwist under preferences-camera. haven't tried it with anything other than skype so far.

please post geekbench scores!

has anyone been totally successful with everything working on this laptop yet? I was wondering if maybe there was a guide or a list of what kexts(is that right?) to select when installing?

ok First of all you should read all of the post before you post a comment ... This hole Thread is a guide... and yes we have gotten everything to work except the video camera with out it being super slow and {censored}... camtwist does not work in the senses of it being a 100% but does show a image .. oh and at least i have not got the intergrated Mic to work... and that was the hole reason why i sold my p7805u and bought a Macbook Pro 2009 2.8GHz.... so this will most likely be my last post...

:gun: Thanks everyone for you help you guyz rock!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup_anim:

Bimochi :laser:

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'll tell you right now, when I had that problem, I couldn't figure it out for the life of me. I thought it was just something wrong with all of our Gateways (since no one else told me that it worked fine for them).

But then I scrapped my whole system (after making a time machine backup!!) and reinstalled with iAtkos v7. After that it worked beautifully and I haven't had a problem since (except for the occasional slow disk write error, which I think is normal).

If you try GarageBand and it does the same thing, that's what I would recommend doing. After you reinstall your fresh system you can easily restore all apps, docs, and settings with your TM backup...

Or a guide for any disk that has the most stuff working. I tried to follow the Kalyway install and I have it up and running but I cant get connected to anything with my ethernet. Could someone maybe make a guide that includes that and the steps to get the graphics card and camera up and running?

Just wanted to update you guys here in this thread. I was able to boot Snow Leopard Retail on P-7805u. Video 9800GTS 1GB Detected Natively! Cant get sound to work though and no internet of course. I also have to boot up with a boot disc. Cool to see that it installs clean though with no flags. Maybe soon one day this thread can be converted over to "Installing SNOW LEOPARD RETAIL on a Gateway P-7805u" since of course we want the latest and greatest. Im sure audio wont be THAT difficult to get working soon with a nice kext because it does show a device in the audio section but no ports or anything are enabled to choose from. Im messing around with it some more but i swear i installed iatkos v7 one time before and during setup it wanted me to take a photo. It was working and no black/blank screen. i forgot what i chose in customize. i may {censored} with it again to see, but I'll keep trying to get SL going at least until we get it to 10.5 working status on the p-7805u :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've gotten iAtkos v7 to run beautifully on this machine. Updated it to 10.5.8 and it runs without a hitch. Only issue I am seeing is with the Geekbench score. Puts it at a 1672 score. I have no idea what is wrong with it but it seems to be sucking wind. Overall the performance of the computer seems fine. Just weird that Geekbench rates it so low.

Thanks again for this thread, it has been a huge help!

good thing to know , could u post your procedures???

i have issues with sound... i mean when i use itunes the first track i play always distorts at the begining

of the playback, after that there are no problems.

any news about wifi 5100 or ethernet using modem 3g for the momment :0

thnx for the help...

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to add something since I know a lot of people have been working on this. After about a month of trying to get sleep to work (OpenHaltRestart.kext didn't work, nor did the EHCI whatever kext, the f'in check box didn't show up in my energy saver menu so that failed, and I tried a million other things that I can't enumerate) I have it working now, and I did it by

removing (by moving to trash) IOUSBFamily.kext from /System/Library/Extensnios

and then restarting, no permissions renewing or anything

via this threads advice from cpram

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?...post&p=2235

BUT!!!!!!(there's always a but right?)

now webcam doesn't work (and chances are usb in gerneral, havent tried anything else yet). And what's even more funny is that it was working pretty good with the camtwist 'hack'. I had no slowdown whatsoever, perfect usage in gchat and photobooth. But I also have a 3.06Ghz Extreme Core 2 :/

so sleep issues are likely an issue with some USB stuff. And I have disabled Legacy USB support via my bios.

Also of note may be that I used an iAtkos 5.xx (i think thats the number) to install and upgraded to 10.5.8. via official update. I also installed the latest Chameleon (v2 i think) bootloader before trying all of this (which did in my sound so i had to redo the instructions on page 2 of this thread).

My rig has absolutely no other obstacle to overcome from operating as it should. I bought an Airport extreme card for $20 of ebay to get the wireless working.

So let me know how this works out for you guys.

UPDATE: Added the IOUSBFamily.kext back and now webcam works as well as sleep. I dunno wtf, but im happy now :)

• 2 months later...
UPDATE: Added the IOUSBFamily.kext back and now webcam works as well as sleep. I dunno wtf, but im happy now :)

What do you mean when you say your webcam "worked"? As in you could open up Photo Booth and everything and it worked just like that??

Also, I'm thinking about upgrading to Snow Leopard... who has had success with that on our laptops, and do you mind sharing your secrets?

ive been fiddling with snow on the p-7805u and i have to say its nice. of course no webcam, or internet but who knows maybe soon. maybe camtwist hack may work for webcam who knows. all i can say is i've tried both installs, 1 of a distro thats has sse2 and sse3 support snow leopard and the other being retail install with a boot 132 disc or 123 disc or something like that. anyway it's nice and my sound is working in snow leopard with use of a voodoohda kext. 64bit too

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Has anyone gotten headphones, sleep and the webcam to work witout camtwist. I installed using iatkos V7. Any soultion would be much appreciated. Ive installed applehda and hdaenabler kexts from conexant but those did not work for fixing headphones. I also tried installing a different OpenHalt kexts but that also did not fix the sleep problem.

Thanks

Blueman,

Try opening up System Prefs and taking a look at all the "devices" listed in the audio section. Often times with the HDA, Azalia, and voodoo audio kexts they will register the built-in speakers and the headphones output as two different devices (along with some other nonexistant ones), and if you manually select the headphones from the list it will enable them. Yes, it's a huge pain to do that every time but there are ways around it, if you check out the audio solution linked on page 1 of this thread.

I'd also recommend VoodooHDA, but it only works well if you're running a voodoo kernel... at least for me.

EDIT: also another thing to note is that I have found when you fix your audio drivers, it often fixes sleep as well ^_^

Ok so manually selecting the headphones in the audio section did work. I have VoodooHDA installed but it still won't switch automatically switch to headphones when i plug something into the headphone jack. Anyways at least I got it working some how thanks for the tip TheOriginalPol. Sleep still doesn't work right. It will shut the harddrive off but the power light was well as the media button lights stay on and it won't wake back up. If anyone has any fixes for the sleep let me know.

Thanks

-Blue

Also my hard drive seems to be running pretty hot (anywhere from 50 C to 52 C). Does anyone else seem to have this problem. High drive temps scare me so if anyone knows anyway to bring this down please let me know.

Like I said blue, I'd recommend a) backing up all your kexts first with OSx86 Tools (in case you only go downhill from here!) and then ;) checking out the solution mentioned by Megaprimal at the bottom of page 1. I believe the link is....

...here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1058196

There are a few different kexts there, just read through and follow the conversation to find the one that will work the best. I think for me the best solution was on the 2nd or 3rd page.

Anyways a quick little question from myself -- I ended up FINALLY getting Hazard's new 10.6.2 distro to boot with no flags... (64-bit, hell yeah!) no native video support though :-( Does anyone know a good video kext to use for Snow Leo? Will it work with all the same ones 10.5 worked with?